geekhack Community > Ergonomics

Microsoft Natural Elite

(1/4) > >>

colbabe:
Curious . . . (a friend of mine wishes to know) . . .

What kind of keyswitch does this board use?
What is the key travel?
Is there any tactility involved?
Etc . . .
Why is this board so popular?

Is the Microsoft 4000 (newest) use same as the Elite?

Thanks . . .

Can this board be modded?

Are some Elites (purchased from manuf.) better than others; if so, what --specifically in tactile, touch, etc?

Again, thank you all for your expertise.

didjamatic:
It's a rubber dome keyboard, not mechanical.  It's very popular because it's an ergonomic design, not just split, the keyboard has a contour to it that some people like.  The new boards are more of a wave shape than the older ones, you'd have to look at side by side photos.

shrap:
It's popular because unlike the fancy Kinesis/Goldtouch/Maltron/etc. ergonomic boards, it's widely available (sold wherever Microsoft products are sold) and cheap (like $30). Thus for a lot of people it is their first ergonomic keyboard.

The Elite was a cheaper version of the original Microsoft Natural, which has its arrow keys arranged in a more common inverted-T configuration and the pageup/down cluster also had a more traditional two-row layout. The original Microsoft Natural board also had negative tilt, which moved the front of the board up and the rear down, the opposite of how most boards are set up today. The new Natural 4000 has a featureset more like the original.

I believe the original was built better. The original I pounded on for five years works better than the Elites that I've used for one year. They are all rubber dome and mushy.

The only mod I've done is to chop the number pad off, like a tenkeyless.

colbabe:
Thanks ...I'll pass the info along.  Too bad these boards cannot house a quality keyswitch, but then this is only my opinion.

JBert:
Actually, someone was in the process of modding such a keyboard and fitting it with brown cherry switches. Of course, we can't tell if it is a successful mod until it is finished.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version