Author Topic: [IC] Sagrada. Raffle July 3rd!!  (Read 48641 times)

Offline LaminarDesigns

• General crackhead
[IC] Sagrada. Raffle July 3rd!!
« on: Sat, 07 May 2022, 09:47:57 »
Sagrada

Plateless, PCB-mounted leaf-spring 60%

INTRODUCTION Skip if you don't care  :thumb:

Hello Geekhack,

In 2020 during the pandemic I was stuck at home during lockdown and I began tinkering and slowly learning how to apply the things I knew as an Aerospace Engineer to the keyboard hobby. Now, after more than a year of work, it is time to finally unveil Sagrada. I have worked on countless projects for many Group buys that have happened over the past year as well as personal commissions for friends. Now, with the unwavering support of the crew at Mykeyboard.eu I am excited to present Sagrada.

Sagrada is a keyboard that was inspired by a trip I took to Barcelona. When you are inside the Sagrada Familia cathedral no matter where you look, things are spectacular. I knew I wanted to do something similar with my designs and after studying the architecture, and Antoni Gaudi's work I eventually arrived at the concept that became the board. A little bit more is explained in the design section but no matter what angle you look at Sagrada from, something different can be observed.

This is Sagrada.

IC FORM

0. CONTENTS

• DETAILS
  • DESIGN
  • RENDERS
  • PHOTOS
  • SOUND TESTS
  • IMPORTANT INFORMATION
  • SALE INFORMATION
  • CONTACT
  • SPECIAL THANKS

1. DETAILS

• Full brass bottom case, aluminum or PC top case
  • Mounting style: Plateless, leaf-spring gasket
  • Typing angle: 7 degrees 
  • 305x115x32 dimensions
  • Front height: 18 mm 
  • Weight: 2.5 kg for alu top, 2.25 kg for PC top
  • PC top is frosted, alu top colors: red, and Greige
  • Case top layout options: WKL, HHKB and FULL
  • M3x10 front screws, M3x20 back screws
  • Standard, easily replaceable 5/16'' rubber bump-ons
  • PCB based on plain-60

Third color has been decided

I initially wanted to do beige, but making a custom color for a low-yield production would've made it incredibly expensive and so, my manufacturer worked with me to get to the color shown in the renders below, which is a bit more of a gray-ish beige. I still love it and it looks more like the colors of the cathedral, which is good! Please reference the image below of the approximated pantone. As always, once I have samples in hand I will update the post so that the color can be seen IRL.

Keep in mind the below pantone was color-matched by our manufacturer, but there can always be inconsistencies:

MECHANICAL DESIGN DECISIONS
This is an edit I have done post-submission. I have been asked to clarify some design decisions and so I am going to try my best to explain my process and most importantly answer a lot of the questions that lots of very wonderful people have asked me. If you are not interested in reading through this, I have hid it inside the "more" button, to keep things less cluttered.
More

What are leaf springs, and why are these "real" leaf springs?

Leaf springs are mechanisms that allow for a material or assembly to flex. From a scientific point of view, flex is just elastic deformation of a material. This means that the material can deform, but not to the point that the cannot return to its original shape (see this article for the difference between elastic and plastic deformation). Leaf springs on a keyboard take two different styles: double-supported and slit leaf springs (I have just coined these terms, no clue if they are the right words). In this design, because it's a 60% I decided to use slit leaf springs. If people want more information (and science  :thumb:) on the other kind of leaf springs I can make another post explaining those as well.

These leaf springs are actual leaf springs because when the board is built, the part that is supported by the gaskets is the outside of the leaf. As long as the gasket is to the outside of the slit, then the leaf spring is a "real" leaf spring and things will indeed flex. The amount of flex that the leaf has will depend on the geometry of the slit (distance from pivot point to the edge of the slit) as well as the material. Aluminum will be stiffer than FR4, for example. Below is a photo of what I mean by supported in the right place.

You can see how the slit of the leaf (horizontal cut, long vertical one on second photo) is placed about a mm away from the gasket. This allows for the entire assembly to deflect and move down when force is applied when you type on the board. This is why this is a "real" leaf spring.The mechanism has 1 degree of freedom only. Vertically it can move up and down when force is applied. If the leaf spring slit was covered with poron, then that degree of freedom would not exist and it would not flex. I could show a couple of examples of leaf springs that are wrong, but I don't want to throw shade or tell people what they do is wrong.

Why is there no spacebar tab?

This is a question that I can see why it's confusing, since common sense would say that this would be horrible to type on and quite frankly, it does look janky as ****. But bear with me for a second. Top mount and gasket mount boards are different in many ways, one of them is that with top mount, the mounting post is what you would call a pin support. This means that the area that is supported is very small. Think of trying to hold a square of metal in your hand from the very edge. If you only grab the corner, it will be MUCH harder than if you grab the entire length of the side and grasp it with your hand. The same principle applies here. Because the amount of PCB (or plate, same applies) that is supported is MUCH higher in a gasket board than top mount, you can remove the spacebar tab and still have an even experience. The gif below shows how much the board flexes under plateless conditions (polycarbonate) and aluminum plate (red). I am showing this because those who think that the flex is too much, they can simply grab ANY 60% plate they have laying around and use it to tune the flex to their liking. With plastic plates and other materials falling in the middle between the two videos I posted. Plateless will be very flexible and aluminum will be stiffer.

When testing, the board initially had a spacebar tab, but I built both, and having a spacebar tab for those who wanted a less flexible experience essentially took the flex and moved it from 100 to 0. By letting the user choose a plate that they want, they can instead vary the flex simply by changing the plate material. This gives much more flexibility to the costumer, which is what I want. Overall the way the board sounds and feels both with a plate and without it is quite unique, and to me, amazing.

And that is about it, all the questions I hope people had about the mounting, and just general QOL questions have been answered. If someone still has any questions, please hop on my server and I would be MORE than happy to chat about keyboards, it's what we are all here for right! I hope this was not too much, and my apologies for the lack of information to begin with.

2. DESIGN

The design philosophy of this board is simplicity. When designing Sagrada, my ultimate goal was to come up with an ingenious mounting system that offered a soft and fun typing experience. The internals are simple and easy to machine, the board is designed to work plateless, but those who want a less nude experience can use any 60% plate they have laying around. There is not much more to say, I hope you enjoy the IC!  :thumb:

Quick note: for those who do not want such a soft experience, an FR4 plate will be offered. From my testing this makes the board feel more like a standard gasket design. The removal of the spacebar tab made it so that with one pcb both sides can work simply by adding or removing the FR4 (or any material, for that matter) plate.
3. V1 PROTOTYPE PHOTOS

The following photos have been taken by NickTheLard. All credits go to him! I will include the old photos from the original IC in a drop-down so that those who want, they can see them.

ADDTIONAL PICTURES BELOW

More

4. RENDERS

These renders were done by the wonderful Proph! <3
Do note that the colors portrayed are not representative of the colors that will be offered, for that refer to the prototype photos section.

5. SOUND TESTS

6. INCLUSION

Each kit will come with the following components:
  • Clear-coated brass bottom case
  • Aluminum or frosted polycarbonate top case
  • PCB, daughterboard and JST
  • 5x M3x10 screws
  • 5x M3x20 screws
  • 4 rubber bump-ons
  • 12 gaskets + 2 spares
  • Microfiber cloth

7. IMPORTANT INFORMATION

• The Stream with alexotos will happen June 20th. The group buy will happen about 10 days after that. Final details coming soon.
  • The kit will be compatible with any 60% plate, so that if someone wants, they can try different materials
  • PCBs will be in stock constantly at Mykeyboard.eu, this way replacements can be obtained easily
  • Brass bottoms will be clear-coated to prevent oxidation of the part.
  • Communication is something I take very seriously. Updates will be posted on a bi-weekly basis both on my discord, as well as Mykeyboard.eu's and Geekhack

8. SALE INFORMATION

• 30-40 units, final count TBD
  • The raffle will happen July 3rd!
  • In lieu of a single large sale, several small-scale drops will happen one after the other to make sure fulfillment is quick. Each drop will have different colors and they will not be repeated
  • Vendor: Mykeyboard.eu <3   

I have chosen to only have mykeyboard because this allows us to:
  • Control the QC'ing of the boards to the standard both me and David deem acceptable, thus increasing the quality
  • Make the unit cheaper because no vendor costs will incur
  • Make sure EU buyers do not get the short end of the stick when it comes to taxes

PRICE INFO

Keyboard kit: 656 EUR (incl 21% VAT) 542,15 EUR without VAT
Aluminum Plate: 32 EUR (incl 21% VAT) 26,45 EUR without VAT
FR Plate: 24 EUR (incl 21% VAT) 19,83 EUR without VAT
PCB: 45 EUR (incl 21% VAT) 37,19 EUR without VAT

I am aware that the pricing for European buyers is very high. This is partly due to the exchange of the USD-Euro being royally ****ed. Typically the exchange is quite good and it counters the addition of VAT but in the current state it just makes it worse. Future runs will be better, I hope.

Raffle link: http://calendar.mykeyboard.eu/raffles/sagrada/#form

Now, I have gotten a few questions about shipping prices and to be clear, Mykeyboard has a very good partnership with DHL. I have received the prototypes here in the US in less than 2 days, and the shipping should not be more than 25 or 30 euro. Overall this will make the board cheaper and the quality higher, so it's a win win for everyone.

9. CONTACT

My discord: https://discord.gg/nWXrcdX8uN
Mykeyboard's discord: https://discord.gg/45cuh5jw6d

Most updates will be posted on my server, and published on Mykeyboard's. As well as geekhack.

10. TO-DO
  • Finish pricing information
  • Get my **** together
  • Get projects website up and running
  • Finalize packaging, art and stickers

SPECIAL THANKS

Leeks gang, those who know, know. Thank you for the constant support
David, without you this project would not have happened
Jeff, you helped me hone down the aesthetics and for that I am incredibly grateful
The entirety of the Mykeyboard community, you guys rock!
Proph#7007 for the amazing renders
Ali, Peppy and Mangas for their help graphic design
Fran, **** you Fran

::: Forum Signature :::

Code: [Select]
[url=https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=117151.0/][img width=314 height=120]https://media.discordapp.net/attachments/849973464139825152/971206627350945812/sagrada_mixed_signature_33v2.png?width=1079&height=412[/img][/url]
« Last Edit: Wed, 24 May 2023, 14:14:43 by LaminarDesigns »

Offline LaminarDesigns

• General crackhead
Re: [IC] Sagrada. Plateless, leaf-spring PCB-mount 60%
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 07 May 2022, 09:48:20 »
06/30/2022

Raffle date and price announced!
« Last Edit: Thu, 30 June 2022, 19:23:49 by LaminarDesigns »

Offline BlivionIaG

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 07 May 2022, 09:56:47 »
Very nice, i'm in :)

Offline Detrimend

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 07 May 2022, 09:57:21 »
Lam never misses, great looking board<3

Offline Possumx

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 07 May 2022, 10:02:11 »
Looks very clean! Most likely in.

Offline MaybeUnique

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 07 May 2022, 10:02:30 »
I will buy this 100%, love the mounting, the design and the engraving. Very clean!

Offline whirlwind

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 07 May 2022, 10:11:13 »
Sheesh bussin bussin

Offline NovaKB

« Reply #7 on: Sat, 07 May 2022, 10:16:02 »
 :llama: very good must buy

Offline Hawkenfreude

« Reply #8 on: Sat, 07 May 2022, 10:36:00 »
I like the look of the board, but straight up stealing a name/image from an existing IP to market your board seems a little odd.

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/199561/sagrada

Offline LaminarDesigns

• General crackhead
« Reply #9 on: Sat, 07 May 2022, 10:40:47 »
I like the look of the board, but straight up stealing a name/image from an existing IP to market your board seems a little odd.

https://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/199561/sagrada

I see the concern, but first, Sagrada means holy in Spanish, lots of things are named Sagrada. Secondly it is designed after the Sagrada Familia, which as you may know is a cathedral in Barcelona. Furthermore there was no image taken from an existing IP, I do not know if perhaps you got confused on that because the stained glass motif is prevalent in both my sticker and that board game, but I was oblivious to that games' existence until you pointed it out. I hope I cleared up any misconceptions, I take IP very seriously and would hate for my work to be misinterpreted.

In hindsight I should have stated what the board is modelled after. I am hijacking your comment to say that I have edited the post to clear up some typos and to add a motivation section as well. Thank you!
« Last Edit: Sat, 07 May 2022, 10:44:52 by LaminarDesigns »

Offline Hawkenfreude

« Reply #10 on: Sat, 07 May 2022, 10:48:10 »
Fantastic. I pored thru your post to see if there was any mention of your inspiration, and initially found none. Once I saw the sticker, things felt a little off. I appreciate the explanation, and post update.

Offline LaminarDesigns

• General crackhead
« Reply #11 on: Sat, 07 May 2022, 10:50:11 »
Fantastic. I pored thru your post to see if there was any mention of your inspiration, and initially found none. Once I saw the sticker, things felt a little off. I appreciate the explanation, and post update.

Absolutely! When I was writing up the IC, I must have forgotten to copy that part over from my google docs. I hope the small text I added just now explains where the idea came from. Thanks for pointing it out! Both me and those who helped me review the post totally missed it  :thumb:

Offline Peter6109

• Working on my own set.
« Reply #12 on: Sat, 07 May 2022, 11:52:50 »
Holy very nice

Offline QuackerJ

« Reply #13 on: Sat, 07 May 2022, 14:27:41 »
Freaking love it, count me in

Offline linell

« Reply #14 on: Sat, 07 May 2022, 14:40:50 »
plateless is the best :D
bro this a **** set, just be thankful you even getting 1 base running fr

Offline mrvpixel

« Reply #15 on: Sat, 07 May 2022, 14:42:51 »
Good luck Lam!

Verstuurd vanaf mijn AC2003 met Tapatalk

Offline fropsie

« Reply #16 on: Sat, 07 May 2022, 14:48:52 »
I'm all for seeing more people with an engineering background do design work in this hobby... but come on now, no need to use it as a crutch for people have more faith vested in you.

Could you explain a bit more as to why you've made the choices that you've made for the mounting placement and sizing. Don't be afraid to use some jargon with it too  ;)

Offline LaminarDesigns

• General crackhead
« Reply #17 on: Sat, 07 May 2022, 15:46:47 »
I'm all for seeing more people with an engineering background do design work in this hobby... but come on now, no need to use it as a crutch for people have more faith vested in you.

Could you explain a bit more as to why you've made the choices that you've made for the mounting placement and sizing. Don't be afraid to use some jargon with it too  ;)

A couple of people have actually said this so I am thinking of just making a quick video and posting it explaining how and why I did some things. I did not want to flood the IC with information and in hindsight it is a good idea to do it. I will work on it tonight and post it once I have it. Thanks for bringing it to my attention, I think I should have done it from the start.

Offline SDKCAMPING

« Reply #18 on: Sat, 07 May 2022, 16:33:40 »
It feels like every time I see laminar speak here or in Discord he will mention being an aerospace engineer at least once or twice  :))
Blue Gray Ciel 60 with BCPs | E-white 7V (plateless) with Aqua Kings

Offline saab

« Reply #19 on: Sat, 07 May 2022, 17:12:24 »
Beautiful board, best of luck :D hope everything goes well

Offline ImaSpacePotato

« Reply #20 on: Sat, 07 May 2022, 17:28:37 »
It feels like every time I see laminar speak here or in Discord he will mention being an aerospace engineer at least once or twice  :))

Trust me it's just an attempt to convince ourselves that all the suffering studying engineering is worth it.

Offline akira7

• akirabutter
    • akiratypes
« Reply #21 on: Sat, 07 May 2022, 18:00:02 »
The board looks stunning to me, I really appreciate all the work you've been putting in to the Sagrada project, so I'm very happy to see it's finally ready for IC. Good luck Laminar! <3

Offline long_qt_pie

« Reply #22 on: Sat, 07 May 2022, 18:50:56 »
Will there be essentially a delete option for the 2 middle tabs on the top mounting?  Would be nice to just have the two lateral mounting points on top and bottom
Jetfire | Mech 27 v1 | Mira SE | Singa | Orion 2.5 | Eo87 | Lubrigante | MGA | IBM F XT | AEKII | Lightpad | Exent | Dolphin Rev 2 | F1-8x | Mr Suit

Offline mmayhem17

• Steam profile
« Reply #23 on: Sat, 07 May 2022, 19:58:20 »
project looks very solid, I will keep an eye on this! GL!

Offline infinitum

• i buy expensive plastic
« Reply #24 on: Sat, 07 May 2022, 20:11:46 »
looks very clean, loving the aesthetic, probably will cop

« Reply #25 on: Sat, 07 May 2022, 21:03:22 »
Oh man this board is pretty much exactly what I've been looking for. So it sounds like these small drops will be in stock?

Offline Backspace2

• Third most used key on the keyboard is Backspace!
« Reply #26 on: Sat, 07 May 2022, 21:08:11 »
Looking good!  :thumb:
Yes

Offline DarkS7R

« Reply #27 on: Sat, 07 May 2022, 21:59:56 »
Interested!

Offline LegendsWorks

• thocc
« Reply #28 on: Sun, 08 May 2022, 06:57:58 »
Very najs, Would like to see different bottoms like copper though :thumb:

GLWIC

Offline Diggidy

« Reply #29 on: Sun, 08 May 2022, 08:40:57 »
« Last Edit: Fri, 20 October 2023, 05:40:40 by Diggidy »

Offline chonkkeys

« Reply #30 on: Sun, 08 May 2022, 09:17:21 »
Been following Sagrada for a couple of months now and I am excited to see this board to make its public appearance. Looking forward to owning this well designed and good looking board.

Offline gotgoodiez

« Reply #31 on: Sun, 08 May 2022, 10:36:04 »
This looks great and I like the smaller batches on a scheduled release. Hopefully the pricing isn't too steep but glwic!

Offline LaminarDesigns

• General crackhead
« Reply #32 on: Sun, 08 May 2022, 12:03:37 »
Any concern with the FR4 leaf springs fatiguing over time? I'm not a material scientist, but that's that would concern me here.

From what I have tested FR4, which is essentially fiberglass does not fail after repeated use. You have to keep in mind that typing is not a high-stress application for the material. If someone were to press on the board all day then perhaps, but under regular (or even heavy) typing it will hold up. Additionally, I will make sure pcbs are regularly in stock so that in case one breaks from misuse, a replacement can be purchased.

Offline LaminarDesigns

• General crackhead
« Reply #33 on: Sun, 08 May 2022, 12:05:22 »
Will there be essentially a delete option for the 2 middle tabs on the top mounting?  Would be nice to just have the two lateral mounting points on top and bottom

You can indeed just snap them off. When testing the original pcbs, I had tabs on the bottom and simply snapped them off. All that is needed is to file down any remaining sharp parts with a nail file and it is perfect. Have not tested this, but if the end user wants to do it, they can.

Offline rookb

« Reply #34 on: Sun, 08 May 2022, 16:03:25 »

You can indeed just snap them off. When testing the original pcbs, I had tabs on the bottom and simply snapped them off. All that is needed is to file down any remaining sharp parts with a nail file and it is perfect. Have not tested this, but if the end user wants to do it, they can.

You make a point about snapping them off, why not add a tab under the spacebar? I've seen videos and it looks like an uncomfortable amount of flex to type on daily. Personally not a fan of 'Just use a plate' if you don't like the levels of flex.

Offline darthcapn

« Reply #35 on: Sun, 08 May 2022, 16:08:33 »
Oh my such a hot board! Looking forward to it!

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

Praxis | Portal | Frog F13 | Vega | Sat75 | F2-84 | Iron 165 | KFE CE | Spring | Pandora | Mr Suit | MGA | Jelly Epoch

Dolice | Glare | Vmax chyuu | W1-AT | Hoshizora | iron 160 | Nazaré | Tomo

Offline LaminarDesigns

• General crackhead
« Reply #36 on: Sun, 08 May 2022, 16:13:56 »

You make a point about snapping them off, why not add a tab under the spacebar? I've seen videos and it looks like an uncomfortable amount of flex to type on daily. Personally not a fan of 'Just use a plate' if you don't like the levels of flex.

I can see why you would think that a lot of flex would be uncomfortable however, even tho yes, it is very flexible, it is not a flex that feels sluggish or mushy, I made the leaf springs very springy so that overall, it just feels fun to type on. By adding a spacebar tab, the experience I designed the board for would be ruined. By making it compatible with any 60% plate, those who like the aesthetics and overall feel of the board but want to tone the flex down, they can just add a plate to make it better for them. Ultimately, I design things in the way that I personally would enjoy them, which is why I waited to release the IC until I thought it was ready. If I can help those who like the aesthetics but want to tone it down to do it by offering a plate, or just making the compat good with any plate, then perfect. That, and like I mentioned during testing I did have a spacebar tab, and it was not to my liking.

Offline denibhoxha

• cock and balls technology
« Reply #37 on: Sun, 08 May 2022, 17:40:03 »
"My background in engineering allows me to not only design from a purely aesthetic perspective but also from a scientific, analytical and a purpose driven one. Every screw, gasket, sketch and design decision is carefully and analytically chosen to achieve the best possible performance." AI generated statement fr.

Offline DaaDaa

« Reply #38 on: Sun, 08 May 2022, 18:11:10 »
lol .... I am a math PHD so i can calculate the optimal distance between screw holes with great accuracy,  send the money to my paypal
« Last Edit: Sun, 08 May 2022, 18:30:13 by DaaDaa »
piggy60 red upgraded PVD w/ GMK umka zaku | tiramisuit w/ GMK noire JWK silk emerald | mr.suit black/chrome glossy chamfers w/ GMK minimal cow POM stem | jelly epoch w/ SA oblivion zaku | mode80 deco w/ gmk boneyard alpaca | mode 80 imperial with ePBT origami alpaca| MODE80 viridian /w CRP boba LT | RAMA thermal kuro w/ GMK muted 2 pewter | BBox60 C64 wih marshmellows and c64 keycaps | MODE Sonnet green /w MW voynich gateron ink box pink

Offline aa212121

« Reply #39 on: Sun, 08 May 2022, 18:52:43 »
This would be epic with 1.6 cem3 or 1.2 fr4; and alps support.

Offline LaminarDesigns

• General crackhead
« Reply #40 on: Sun, 08 May 2022, 19:22:11 »

I will ask my manufacturer if they can do cem3! I have not tried it so it may be worth investigating. As for alps, I personally have never used alps before. I will look into it.

Offline kbye

« Reply #41 on: Mon, 09 May 2022, 01:17:49 »
looks nice, GLWIC

Offline TibtibThePrincess

• Look but don't buy
« Reply #42 on: Mon, 09 May 2022, 02:28:30 »
Looks and sounds amazing, I love the bottom engraving and the PC and brass combo.
Amazing work Lam

Offline KeyBros_

« Reply #43 on: Mon, 09 May 2022, 05:19:40 »
That's so dope, good job Laminar

Offline el_lento

« Reply #44 on: Mon, 09 May 2022, 06:11:09 »
You need a plate to mount alps (they don't have mounting or alignment pins), if the original purpose of this board is to be plateless that makes no sense.

Offline LaminarDesigns

• General crackhead
« Reply #45 on: Mon, 09 May 2022, 08:04:34 »
You need a plate to mount alps (they don't have mounting or alignment pins), if the original purpose of this board is to be plateless that makes no sense.

I have never used alps so I had no idea. You saved me some googling! Those who asked for alps, there you have your final answer. Have a great week mate

Offline mr_foggy

• land of the worst vendor(s)
« Reply #46 on: Mon, 09 May 2022, 08:49:11 »
the bottom engraving is EH, the rest looks absolutely amazing. will consider joining.

Offline Zyrophr

• https://zyrophr.com
    • zyrophr.com
« Reply #47 on: Tue, 10 May 2022, 15:16:16 »
Looks very interesting, and that weight look EH-cking good!
French keyboard streamer

Offline gabrifc

« Reply #48 on: Tue, 10 May 2022, 15:17:20 »
This board is so good that I went through the process of resetting a password just to comment that I was here. GLWIC Lam!
« Last Edit: Tue, 10 May 2022, 15:27:10 by gabrifc »

Offline LaminarDesigns

• General crackhead
« Reply #49 on: Wed, 11 May 2022, 12:50:12 »
Oh man this board is pretty much exactly what I've been looking for. So it sounds like these small drops will be in stock?

I just realized I did not respond to this comment but for now no, it will not be stock. Once we know if people like the board I may change the sale format but the first drop will NOT be in stock.