Author Topic: [IC] Gateron Switches  (Read 103234 times)

Offline Ngt

• * Elevated Elder
Re: [IC] Gateron Switches
« Reply #150 on: Sat, 07 February 2015, 11:27:49 »
Sorry guys, I'm wrong.

I swapped the Gateron red and black stem into a Cherry MX housing (black), and they seem to do the same thing as the clear did.

Do you mean the test is worthless?

Silenced Novatouch w/ Hack'd by Geeks

Sold: Ducky Zero Shine (Brown) | Poker 2 (Blue) | HHKB 55g Type-S

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #151 on: Sat, 07 February 2015, 11:46:54 »
Alright, numbers are looking good so far. With the MOQ I'm now getting from Gateron, unless we can come up with another 15k orders per switch :p, the buy is going to have to come from a vendor. It shouldn't be too hard to find one with the numbers we have so far:

Clears: 6006
Blacks: 3836
Blues: 2864
Browns: 2561
Reds: 1386
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline snipars

« Reply #152 on: Sat, 07 February 2015, 11:51:00 »
Sorry guys, I'm wrong.

I swapped the Gateron red and black stem into a Cherry MX housing (black), and they seem to do the same thing as the clear did.

I'm  not sure I understand,  are the gateron clears linear or tactile?
Duck Octagon + Gateron Black |HHKB Pro 2 | Poker 2 + Vintage Black + Tex case | Unicomp Ultra Classic | WASD V2 |

Offline Sniping

« Reply #153 on: Sat, 07 February 2015, 12:02:25 »
They're linear like everyone says. Sorry for the confusion. :-X

Offline Ngt

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #154 on: Sat, 07 February 2015, 12:13:41 »
Alright, numbers are looking good so far. With the MOQ I'm now getting from Gateron, unless we can come up with another 15k orders per switch :p , the buy is going to have to come from a vendor. It shouldn't be too hard to find one with the numbers we have so far:

Does it mean the vendor will have to order the 15k missing for each type of switch? Or are so limitations only for order that are not made by professionals?

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #155 on: Sat, 07 February 2015, 12:17:52 »
Alright, numbers are looking good so far. With the MOQ I'm now getting from Gateron, unless we can come up with another 15k orders per switch :p , the buy is going to have to come from a vendor. It shouldn't be too hard to find one with the numbers we have so far:

Does it mean the vendor will have to order the 15k missing for each type of switch? Or are so limitations only for order that are not made by professionals?
Well, since these vendors already have to order the 20k switches, they should have enough to be able to accommodate our needs already

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline Ngt

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #156 on: Sat, 07 February 2015, 12:39:54 »

Well, since these vendors already have to order the 20k switches, they should have enough to be able to accommodate our needs already

So we only need to wait for one of these vendors to stock up and make a massive buy to them?

Offline monotagary

• Keycaps > Rent
« Reply #157 on: Sat, 07 February 2015, 13:03:06 »

So we only need to wait for one of these vendors to stock up and make a massive buy to them?

That's what it sounds like to me. And I'm sure with this volume any third party vendor would be willing to help us out.

Offline csnickba

• Gateron fanboy and topre lover.
« Reply #158 on: Sat, 07 February 2015, 13:13:57 »
If you guys are still taking orders I'm down for 61 clears

Offline Ngt

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #159 on: Sat, 07 February 2015, 13:17:23 »

AFAIK, it is only an interest check and not a GB.

Offline Fnzzy

« Reply #160 on: Sat, 07 February 2015, 13:20:33 »
I am guessing the gaterongs are compatible with cherry top housing?

Offline csnickba

• Gateron fanboy and topre lover.
« Reply #161 on: Sat, 07 February 2015, 13:21:33 »

They still need a count on how many they will need if they go through with a group buy. I misread though so that's my bad.

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #162 on: Sat, 07 February 2015, 13:27:34 »
Yep, every Gateron part is compatible with every Cherry part and vice-versa

That's what it sounds like to me. And I'm sure with this volume any third party vendor would be willing to help us out.
Well, right now there's only one or two vendors selling Gaterons, so I'm trying to get in touch with them to gauge their stock

Offline monotagary

• Keycaps > Rent
« Reply #163 on: Sat, 07 February 2015, 13:44:26 »

Well, right now there's only one or two vendors selling Gaterons, so I'm trying to get in touch with them to gauge their stock

Sounds great! Thanks for working to put this whole thing together hwood.

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #164 on: Sat, 07 February 2015, 14:03:25 »

Sounds great! Thanks for working to put this whole thing together hwood.
np :thumb: The masses need to experience the joy of Gaterons

Offline jacobolus

« Reply #165 on: Sat, 07 February 2015, 14:27:12 »
If you’re willing to use MassDrop for the distribution, I’m pretty sure they’d be interested in running a “drop” of various Gaterons. Even though they typically aren’t the fastest turnaround, it would be a lot less organizing work than managing a group buy as a community project, and they can probably hit pretty good price points, as they have decent marketing/visibility.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #166 on: Sat, 07 February 2015, 15:43:45 »
I've seen white stabilizers before from an old board.
Cherry-style?

I have some SMK stabilisers that are white - and those are interchangeable with Costar stabilisers - but the plastic has deteriorated so they are a bit brittle. I would also much rather have Cherry stabs so that I wouldn't have to disassemble the entire keyboard and fiddle with tweezers and screwdrivers when changing a keycap.

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #167 on: Sat, 07 February 2015, 16:05:26 »
If you’re willing to use MassDrop for the distribution, I’m pretty sure they’d be interested in running a “drop” of various Gaterons. Even though they typically aren’t the fastest turnaround, it would be a lot less organizing work than managing a group buy as a community project, and they can probably hit pretty good price points, as they have decent marketing/visibility.
Running something through Massdrop would be pretty low down on things I want to do. The pricing they get isn't ever really stellar, and the times can often be pretty ridiculous, something I fear could happen to a buy like this.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #168 on: Sat, 07 February 2015, 16:06:25 »
I've seen white stabilizers before from an old board.
Cherry-style?

I have some SMK stabilisers that are white - and those are interchangeable with Costar stabilisers - but the plastic has deteriorated so they are a bit brittle. I would also much rather have Cherry stabs so that I wouldn't have to disassemble the entire keyboard and fiddle with tweezers and screwdrivers when changing a keycap.
Here you can see white inserts

https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=34909.msg1064406.msg#1064406

And I know another member had some/was going to have more white ones (both pieces white) made to sell but I'm not sure what happened with those.

Offline PunksDead

• hspernks
  • keyboard poser
« Reply #169 on: Sat, 07 February 2015, 16:27:14 »
great work mr. wood, from the sample switches you sent me i REALLY want a full board of gateron blacks, they are amazing. keep it up
don't come to my funeral, there wont be one

Offline Ngt

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #170 on: Sat, 07 February 2015, 17:11:11 »

They still need a count on how many they will need if they go through with a group buy. I misread though so that's my bad.

I asked previously if we could take part in the group buy even though we didn't take part in the IC and the answer was positive IIRC.

Offline greath

• A waffle is like a pancake with a syrup trap.
« Reply #171 on: Sat, 07 February 2015, 17:24:53 »
Has anyone done a review on a tactile version of the gaterons (like mx browns, not clicky like mx blues)?

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #172 on: Sat, 07 February 2015, 17:51:20 »

I asked previously if we could take part in the group buy even though we didn't take part in the IC and the answer was positive IIRC.
Correct

Has anyone done a review on a tactile version of the gaterons (like mx browns, not clicky like mx blues)?
I actually haven't seen a review yet for a tactile variant. I had blues and blacks, Zeal had clears, and some guy on reddit had blues, clears, and yellows. Haven't seen someone that bought browns

Offline greath

« Reply #173 on: Sat, 07 February 2015, 17:58:06 »
I might have to get 2x orders then :)

One of clears and one of browns.

Offline Ngt

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #174 on: Sat, 07 February 2015, 17:59:56 »

Correct

I actually haven't seen a review yet for a tactile variant. I had blues and blacks, Zeal had clears, and some guy on reddit had blues, clears, and yellows. Haven't seen someone that bought browns

I ordered the varmilio switch tester from massdrop with the Gateron switch. I think it is supposed to include the brown. When I'll receive it I will be able to tell you more.

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #175 on: Sat, 07 February 2015, 18:28:13 »

Correct

I ordered the varmilio switch tester from massdrop with the Gateron switch. I think it is supposed to include the brown. When I'll receive it I will be able to tell you more.
Oh yeah, that. Hopefully we get some more reviews once people start getting them

Offline Hak Foo

• Make America Clicky Again!
« Reply #176 on: Sat, 07 February 2015, 22:31:43 »
Why not do bags of a fixed quantity of switches?  This would make packing and materials handling easier... and might help pad up orders.
Overton130, Box Pale Blues.

Offline jonathanyu

« Reply #177 on: Sat, 07 February 2015, 22:34:47 »
Count me in for clear, black, and brown 200 each.
Not sure why I am not able to open the Google form right now..
« Last Edit: Sat, 07 February 2015, 22:40:50 by jonathanyu »

Offline DrHubblePhD

• I am star stuff
  • Location: Observable Universe, Virgo Supercluster, Local Group, Milky Way Galaxy, Solar System, Planet Earth
« Reply #178 on: Sat, 07 February 2015, 22:37:08 »
I actually put in an a legit order, hopefully there is some love for the tactile switches. Hopefully the browns dont suck  :thumb:

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #179 on: Sat, 07 February 2015, 22:46:25 »
So how about that girth? Yo. dwag. Swag. YOLO.
What is this even?
Quote from: elton5354
I don't need anymore keyboards

Offline DrHubblePhD

• I am star stuff
  • Location: Observable Universe, Virgo Supercluster, Local Group, Milky Way Galaxy, Solar System, Planet Earth
« Reply #180 on: Sat, 07 February 2015, 22:47:51 »
What is this even?

Bro I dont know If I can even support switches that dont have the necessary girth to maintain significant actuation force over time.

Offline swornxin

• Nailed Down Custom Pins
« Reply #181 on: Sat, 07 February 2015, 22:48:38 »
I would be interested in 100 blacks for an upcoming build I think.

Octagon - 62g Cherry tactile greys
Phantom - 65g Cherry tactile greys
FC660M - Cherry blues
KC60 - Gateron browns

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #182 on: Sat, 07 February 2015, 22:48:58 »
What is this even?

Bro I dont know If I can even support switches that dont have the necessary girth to maintain significant actuation force over time.
Stop supporting those Gatorade knockoff switches.
What are they called again? Cherry MX or something?
Quote from: elton5354
I don't need anymore keyboards

Offline DrHubblePhD

• I am star stuff
« Reply #183 on: Sat, 07 February 2015, 22:50:09 »
What is this even?

No bro Cherry MY is the real competition.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #184 on: Sat, 07 February 2015, 23:08:02 »

Offline monotagary

• Keycaps > Rent
« Reply #185 on: Sat, 07 February 2015, 23:27:54 »
What is this even?

No bro Cherry MY is the real competition.

Who even wants switches named after a stupid fruit when you could have glorious GatorGolf switches instead?

Offline Moralless

« Reply #186 on: Sat, 07 February 2015, 23:33:01 »
Put me down for 100 blacks, clears and browns  :-* Really want to try these out.

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #187 on: Sun, 08 February 2015, 00:28:22 »
Put me down for 100 blacks, clears and browns  :-* Really want to try these out.
You can put yourself down :p :thumb:

Offline Moralless

« Reply #188 on: Sun, 08 February 2015, 00:37:38 »
You can put yourself down :p :thumb:

I did, just couldn't see where I was suppose to put my name  :-[

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #189 on: Sun, 08 February 2015, 00:47:18 »
You can put yourself down :thumb:

Oh sorry, no where for now, at this point it's just a numbers game

Offline Moralless

« Reply #190 on: Sun, 08 February 2015, 00:54:32 »
You can put yourself down :thumb:

Oh sorry, no where for now, at this point it's just a numbers game

Fair enough, shouldn't be too much of a problem reaching MOQ with the price it's at if the reviews by you and Zeal are true  :thumb:

Offline Evo_Spec

• (╯°ヮ°)╯︵⌨
  • * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #191 on: Sun, 08 February 2015, 19:16:31 »
Fair enough, shouldn't be too much of a problem reaching MOQ with the price it's at if the reviews by you and Zeal are true  :thumb:

Maybe their reviews are lies! they've been bought out by Gateron, sell outs i tell you!
.                 .  
GON NerD TKL DTA Edition

Offline Cottonsox

« Reply #192 on: Sun, 08 February 2015, 19:22:58 »
When this Gatorade gb goes ahead, would it be possible to add some lube as an addon to the group buy? Even if it is at cost, the saving on shipping alone could be beneficial to alot of people

Offline monotagary

• Keycaps > Rent
« Reply #193 on: Sun, 08 February 2015, 21:41:35 »
When this Gatorade gb goes ahead, would it be possible to add some lube as an addon to the group buy? Even if it is at cost, the saving on shipping alone could be beneficial to alot of people

I would love to lube up my Gatorade.

Offline greath

« Reply #194 on: Sun, 08 February 2015, 22:55:06 »

I would love to lube up my Gatorade.

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #195 on: Mon, 09 February 2015, 18:48:19 »
definite maybe. If we could source tons of lube, which could present a problem

Offline Cottonsox

« Reply #196 on: Mon, 09 February 2015, 18:58:31 »
definite maybe. If we could source tons of lube, which could present a problem

Happy enough to source my own, Seems something that alot of people getting in on this gb would be looking at also.

Offline greath

« Reply #197 on: Mon, 09 February 2015, 23:00:16 »
I would also go for some springs with the group buy :D

Offline Fnzzy

« Reply #198 on: Tue, 10 February 2015, 14:20:03 »
This slowly turns into a Switch + basic switch modding bundle GB if we keep trying to add stuff :D

I doubt springs will happen though. Sprit's GB just ended recently.

Offline strict

• TKL Zealot
« Reply #199 on: Tue, 10 February 2015, 14:38:05 »
This slowly turns into a Switch + basic switch modding bundle GB if we keep trying to add stuff :D

I doubt springs will happen though. Sprit's GB just ended recently.

My vote is to keep this simple and offer only switches. If you want lube/springs/tops/whatever there are enough places around that sell that stuff. From the sounds of it, lube really isnt even worthwhile on gatorades.

Realforce EK45 (Silenced)  |  Realforce 87UW (45g)  |  Realforce 87UWS (Variable)
Filco MJ2 TKL (Cherry Clears)  |  Phantom 87 (78g Gateron Clears)  |  Phantom 86 (67g Zealios)