Author Topic: [GB] CNC Alum. Cooler Master TKL cases r2, SHIPPING  (Read 185913 times)

Offline norbauer

• Plz email shop@norbauer.com; I miss PMs sometimes
    • Ryan Norbauer's personal site
[GB] CNC Alum. Cooler Master TKL cases r2, SHIPPING
« on: Fri, 07 April 2017, 12:46:40 »

After the surprisingly successful first round of my CNC aluminum cases Cooler Master TKL boards, it turns out that folks seem to be really into them. So, after a barrage of (friendly) requests, I've decided to offer them one more time. :)

If you're interested in joining, check it out:
https://shop.norbauer.com
  :cool:

I've worked really hard to strike a good deal with the factory, so I'm happy to report that price actually starts lower than last time ($199), and it includes more—such as riser feet, which were previously a $15 add-on kit, and improved shipping and packaging. I'm also using an upgraded (more expensive) anodizing vendor to ensure a good match between top and bottom halves of the case (which, for various technical reasons, is always tricky to achieve.)

International shipping rates have also been markedly reduced, as I've figured out a way to avoid those parcels having to make a costly pit-stop for re-packaging in the United States.

Group buy ends April 21st @ midnight PST, just two weeks from now. Earlier orders are fulfilled earlier when possible, so order early and often!  ;D

A whole range of new interesting colors and finishes are available, for example:

Dark Blue

Dark Gray

Along with some other crazy off-the-wall options for lovers of the arcane and extravagant.  :rolleyes:

I'm happy to answer any questions, and please let me know if I've forgotten anything.

In the meantime, here is a video I made about the making of round 1

« Last Edit: Tue, 08 August 2017, 11:24:08 by norbauer »

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
Re: [GB] CNC Aluminum Cases for Cooler Master TKL boards (r2) ORDERING
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 07 April 2017, 13:04:35 »
Approval bump.  That's a gorgeous pale aqua sample photo.
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline zslane

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 07 April 2017, 13:09:47 »
I can't decide between brushed and non-brushed dark blue!

Offline adamcobabe

« Reply #3 on: Fri, 07 April 2017, 13:24:48 »
Are the colors on your website and Originative different?

Offline sherryton

• * Vendor
  • Kībōdo
    • Originative
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 07 April 2017, 13:25:42 »

Galactic Blue = Navy Blue

Only difference is we have Black and Coral Red! I was highly inspired by the Retro Green color!

Offline clasicks

• Formerly KeyboardUser4
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 07 April 2017, 13:34:41 »
Hi I would like to delete my account.
« Last Edit: Wed, 04 July 2018, 14:55:13 by clasicks »

Offline MythicalWagyu

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Poor Impulse Control
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 07 April 2017, 13:44:00 »

Only difference is we have Black and Coral Red! I was highly inspired by the Retro Green color!

Any chance of a bigger picture of Coral Red than that teeny tiny thumbnail? Though it looks like a render so I guess maybe there's no production sample to show?
KEYBOARDS >>
More
More
OG Blackwidow | Rosewill RK-9000BRI | QuickFire Rapid | Choc Mini | Apple M0110 (soon) | Leopold FC660C | 60% Pure | Poker II | Keycool 22
MICE >>
More
Logitech G5 | Corsair M65 | Logitech G400
COMPUTER >>
More
i5-3570K @ 4.2GHz, 12GB DDR3, 2GB GTX 670, 64GB SSD, ~4TB HDD, 2x Dell S2240M IPS, Corsair HX650 80 Plus Silver, Win7 Ultimate
  [WTS/WTB/WTT]  Heatware evaluation

too busy being on aol chatrooms/yahoo chatrooms acting like a lesbian with other guys pretending to be lesbians.

Offline norbauer

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 07 April 2017, 13:48:29 »

Any chance of a bigger picture of Coral Red than that teeny tiny thumbnail? Though it looks like a render so I guess maybe there's no production sample to show?

Correct. That one is a rendering and I'll be getting those custom powder-coated here in the Bay Area for Originative. The reason that powder is so expensive on this group buy is I'm using a much more high-end shop than I was able to find for the last round.

The coral color will be an approximate Pantone match for 178C

It's actually a really nice complement to the Retro/Seafoam green that I'm running in the core group buy.

Offline need

« Reply #8 on: Fri, 07 April 2017, 13:49:08 »
What's the height of the case front when measured vertically?

Offline zslane

« Reply #9 on: Fri, 07 April 2017, 13:54:54 »
So at the end of the IC thread it was implied that the other colors could come in the brushed variant, not just galactic blue. How would one go about ordering a brushed tactical gray case?

Offline norbauer

« Reply #10 on: Fri, 07 April 2017, 14:11:17 »

24.8mm

So at the end of the IC thread it was implied that the other colors could come in the brushed variant, not just galactic blue. How would one go about ordering a brushed tactical gray case?

Let me mess around in Photoshop and see if I can create a plausible looking mock-up based on my pic of the blue case. If so, I can just add it right into the Shopify store, which is much easier for everybody. Just give me a few hours, and I'll see what I can come up with.

Offline cynviloq

« Reply #11 on: Fri, 07 April 2017, 14:28:59 »

Correct. That one is a rendering and I'll be getting those custom powder-coated here in the Bay Area for Originative. The reason that powder is so expensive on this group buy is I'm using a much more high-end shop than I was able to find for the last round.

The coral color will be an approximate Pantone match for 178C
Show Image

It's actually a really nice complement to the Retro/Seafoam green that I'm running in the core group buy.

my body isn't ready

Offline zslane

« Reply #12 on: Fri, 07 April 2017, 14:35:04 »

24.8mm

Let me mess around in Photoshop and see if I can create a plausible looking mock-up based on my pic of the blue case. If so, I can just add it right into the Shopify store, which is much easier for everybody. Just give me a few hours, and I'll see what I can come up with.

Awesome!

I'm prepared to buy both a galactic blue and a tactical gray case. I just have to decide if I want bushed or non-brushed.

Offline poolside

« Reply #13 on: Fri, 07 April 2017, 14:41:38 »
From the retro-green picture in the OP, it looks like powder-coated cases will have their interior surfaces covered. :thumb:
Will that apply to the mating surfaces too?

Offline norbauer

« Reply #14 on: Fri, 07 April 2017, 14:46:17 »
From the retro-green picture in the OP, it looks like powder-coated cases will have their interior surfaces covered. :thumb:
Will that apply to the mating surfaces too?

I'm actually still vacillating on that. This new shop I'm working with does amazing work, and they masked the samples they made for me, but only along the mating surfaces and (as you noticed), not the interior of the case. These didn't suffer any of the problems we saw on some of the edges last time because they did a more meticulous job of it, but honestly I think they can go ahead and powder coat even the mating surfaces since I adjusted the tolerances a bit to compensate. I'll do some tests while the cases are being manufactured (with a leftover case I have from r1) to figure out what the best way to get these coated is, and we can just go with whatever yields the best results. :)

Offline zslane

« Reply #15 on: Fri, 07 April 2017, 14:55:39 »
This will be good info to have on hand when you do the powder-coated white case run for RealForce RGB boards...  :thumb:

Offline TheEerieCold

« Reply #16 on: Fri, 07 April 2017, 15:09:42 »
For the retro green, is that more of a teal color? Looking to match something as close to DSA Lightcycle as possible.
Matrix Abel+ Ver.Dark / Matrix 8XV2.0 (Red) / Matrix 8XV2.2 (Blue) / Matrix 8XV2.2 (Caustic Custom) / Matrix Noah / Matrix Abel X RX-178 Ver.CA / Matrix 8XV2.0 ADD (Silver) / Matrix Falcon (Nebula) / Matrix Vita (McFlurry) / Matrix ME SE (McFlurry)

Offline norbauer

« Reply #17 on: Fri, 07 April 2017, 15:11:17 »

Voilŕ. Now also added to the GB checkout options.

Note that this is only an approximation. It'll be the same color as the actual photos of the bead blasted Tactical gray, except that I find that the brushed finish version of a color tends to look a little darker and glossier than its matte finish counterpart. But this gives the general flavor, I think.

Offline zslane

« Reply #18 on: Fri, 07 April 2017, 15:22:07 »
For the retro green, is that more of a teal color? Looking to match something as close to DSA Lightcycle as possible.

Hmm. I think enigma black or tactical gray would look best with the LightCycle set, but maybe that's just me. Which Tron film informs the colorscheme you picture in your mind? The original or Legacy?

Offline norbauer

« Reply #19 on: Fri, 07 April 2017, 15:25:24 »

The powder manufacturer calls it "Sea Foam," but it reminds me of the colors you used to see on old 1960s appliances, which is why I gave it the name I did. :) It's sort of a powder blue but with a green shift to it. I tried to find a good Pantone match, but all the ones I can find are either to green, too blue, or too light.

Pantone 325C is close.

Offline DreLLin

« Reply #20 on: Fri, 07 April 2017, 15:35:08 »
Yeah, so happy that you added the space station white color, was an instant order! :thumb: ;D

Offline zslane

« Reply #21 on: Fri, 07 April 2017, 15:35:21 »
Waitaminnit. Space Station White? Really?

Am I gonna hafta order three cases now?  :eek:

Offline child

« Reply #22 on: Fri, 07 April 2017, 15:41:10 »
How much does it weigh?

Offline norbauer

« Reply #23 on: Fri, 07 April 2017, 15:47:28 »
How much does it weigh?

Just under 1.4kg (~3 lbs). Pretty hefty. :)

Offline zslane

« Reply #24 on: Fri, 07 April 2017, 15:48:04 »
How much does it weigh?

Just under 1.4kg (~3 lbs). Pretty hefty. :)

Yesssssssssssssssssssss...  :thumb:

Offline MythicalWagyu

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Poor Impulse Control
« Reply #25 on: Fri, 07 April 2017, 15:56:04 »
Awesome, thanks for the info norbauer! Now how do I decide on just one color  :confused: :confused: :confused:
KEYBOARDS >>
More
More
OG Blackwidow | Rosewill RK-9000BRI | QuickFire Rapid | Choc Mini | Apple M0110 (soon) | Leopold FC660C | 60% Pure | Poker II | Keycool 22
MICE >>
More
COMPUTER >>
More
i5-3570K @ 4.2GHz, 12GB DDR3, 2GB GTX 670, 64GB SSD, ~4TB HDD, 2x Dell S2240M IPS, Corsair HX650 80 Plus Silver, Win7 Ultimate

too busy being on aol chatrooms/yahoo chatrooms acting like a lesbian with other guys pretending to be lesbians.

Offline KINGPIN

« Reply #26 on: Fri, 07 April 2017, 16:00:33 »
Omg this is going so fast! I am afraid I can't pay for it until 11/5 will it be too late?
Levia Makes

Offline adamcobabe

« Reply #27 on: Fri, 07 April 2017, 16:16:46 »
The galactic blue and the galactic blue brushed look very different. Does the brushing lighten the blue color that much? I think I'm leaning to the darker blue color, but just want to make sure it's not as light as the brushed version.

Offline zslane

« Reply #28 on: Fri, 07 April 2017, 16:57:25 »
When he said this about the effect of the brushed finish, I took it to mean it applies to all the colors, not just tactical gray:

...I find that the brushed finish version of a color tends to look a little darker and glossier than its matte finish counterpart.

Offline norbauer

« Reply #29 on: Fri, 07 April 2017, 16:59:17 »
The galactic blue and the galactic blue brushed look very different. Does the brushing lighten the blue color that much? I think I'm leaning to the darker blue color, but just want to make sure it's not as light as the brushed version.

These colors are very hard to convey photographically, which is why I've tried to show them with different light lighting environments and light fall-offs. The brushing does make the surface a bit more reflective. When not in direct light, this makes it look darker than the matte form. When in direct light, it makes it look lighter than the matte form. Ż\_(ツ)_/Ż

Here is another pic of it without as much of a reflection.

Offline Arallu

« Reply #30 on: Fri, 07 April 2017, 17:02:38 »
In for tactical gray, thanks Norbauer!

Offline orpheo

« Reply #31 on: Fri, 07 April 2017, 17:14:59 »
Awesome colors ! I just can't resist ! First round was perfect, now this ^^

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #32 on: Fri, 07 April 2017, 17:21:06 »
I haven't really followed the IC this time round so I apologise if this question has been answered/has an obvious answer but how come the white/aqua blue cases are marked at $330 rather than the $200~ of the others?

Offline norbauer

« Reply #33 on: Fri, 07 April 2017, 17:29:48 »
I haven't really followed the IC this time round so I apologise if this question has been answered/has an obvious answer but how come the white/aqua blue cases are marked at $330 rather than the $200~ of the others?

The back story is: I wasn't super happy with the powder coat finishes we got back in round 1. Most were perfect, others had some cosmetic issues. So I decided to offer powder this time only as a sort of high-end upgrade and use a different vendor. I found a shop local to me here in the San Francisco area who does amazing work (you see their samples in the product photos in the GB), but they're crazy expensive and it's a bit of pain for me to schlep the cases over there and the re-ship them separately from the core group buy after they're done. So that's why it costs so much. I regret the high cost, but I feel better charging more for something than shipping something I can't be proud of--or that would disappoint participants. I feel like the prices for the core cases are also pretty good, so we have options for everybody. :)

Offline Vigrith

« Reply #34 on: Fri, 07 April 2017, 17:38:43 »
The back story is: I wasn't super happy with the powder coat finishes we got back in round 1. Most were perfect, others had some cosmetic issues. So I decided to offer powder this time only as a sort of high-end upgrade and use a different vendor. I found a shop local to me here in the San Francisco area who does amazing work (you see their samples in the product photos in the GB), but they're crazy expensive and it's a bit of pain for me to schlep the cases over there and the re-ship them separately from the core group buy after they're done. So that's why it costs so much. I regret the high cost, but I feel better charging more for something than shipping something I can't be proud of--or that would disappoint participants. I feel like the prices for the core cases are also pretty good, so we have options for everybody. :)

Understandable! I appreciate the explanation, I definitely agree with the reasoning. I really wanted the white one (or the aqua, it's gorgeous) but with int. shipping it might be a little too steep - probably end up with a Tactical Grey instead!

Offline nightdriver

• life is like t. rex
« Reply #35 on: Fri, 07 April 2017, 19:08:47 »
geez, i think i may need to get a few of these.  my wallet is gonna hate me.  hard to choose between brushed and matte though.  any chance we can get a comparison shot side by side?

actually it'd be great to see tactical gray side by side with tactical black, too.

Offline norbauer

« Reply #36 on: Fri, 07 April 2017, 19:26:28 »
geez, i think i may need to get a few of these.  my wallet is gonna hate me.  hard to choose between brushed and matte though.  any chance we can get a comparison shot side by side?

actually it'd be great to see tactical gray side by side with tactical black, too.

Sadly, I no longer have any brushed finishes on hand or any black cases. =\

Offline beamingrobot

• * Vendor
  • もうけい
    • monokei
« Reply #37 on: Fri, 07 April 2017, 21:57:41 »
I know you've mentioned this in passing, but will the price of the case be included for shipping? If it's not then taxes will not be a huge issue, since I'm looking to order more than 1 I might end up paying rather substantially in taxes.
http://monokei.co

Jane v2 | Jane v2 CE | Police | EXENT | KFE | KFE CE | Singa R1 | Jaguar | HHKB | Custom G80-3000 | Dalco 959mini | Haus | Kei | Hiro | Hidari | Tomo | Neko | Prophet | MXSS | TKL One | RS

Offline SICAR187

« Reply #38 on: Fri, 07 April 2017, 22:30:02 »
Outstanding!!! These are all BEAUTIFUL!

Offline SICAR187

« Reply #39 on: Fri, 07 April 2017, 22:37:50 »
Just watched the vid, very professional, love it. Really conveys the message, great work!!!

Offline fine_italian_leather

« Reply #40 on: Fri, 07 April 2017, 22:46:00 »
I know you've mentioned this in passing, but will the price of the case be included for shipping? If it's not then taxes will not be a huge issue, since I'm looking to order more than 1 I might end up paying rather substantially in taxes.

I had two sent to me in Sweden for R1, I did not have to pay any extra taxes.

Offline beamingrobot

• * Vendor
  • もうけい
    • monokei
« Reply #41 on: Fri, 07 April 2017, 22:59:08 »

I had two sent to me in Sweden for R1, I did not have to pay any extra taxes.

Thanks, I'm already eyeing a particular case :D

Jane v2 | Jane v2 CE | Police | EXENT | KFE | KFE CE | Singa R1 | Jaguar | HHKB | Custom G80-3000 | Dalco 959mini | Haus | Kei | Hiro | Hidari | Tomo | Neko | Prophet | MXSS | TKL One | RS

Offline MythicalWagyu

• * Exquisite Elder
  • Poor Impulse Control
« Reply #42 on: Fri, 07 April 2017, 23:10:13 »
The Retro Green is so beautiful

I think I have to go brushed tactical grey because 2017 has already decimated my wallet for the year, but man am I going to be super jelly of anyone that orders this color :))
KEYBOARDS >>
More
More
MICE >>
More
COMPUTER >>
More

Offline norbauer

« Reply #43 on: Sat, 08 April 2017, 00:28:05 »

I've looked into this pretty extensively. Many people don't realize that customs in many countries can and will, randomly, ask you for an original receipt to prove the value for which you paid for goods if there is any question as to the value. This actually happened to multiple buyers in round 1. If customs find that the value has been mis-represented, the goods can be impounded and destroyed, or a severe penalty can be charged to the importer who is (in the laws of many countries, such as the UK) actually held responsible for the contents of the customs forms. Sure, 99 items may get through unquestioned, but for the 1 out of a 100 that gets flagged, it's very bad news. So that's why, with my sincerest apologies, I have to declare the cases at the legal price paid.

I strongly believe that tariffs are awful and a horrible drag on global economic development, so I totally understand and sympathize with the request, but asking me to falsify official customs documents is like asking me to help you cheat on your income taxes: the risk to both of us just isn't worth it.  :( I really do feel very bad about it though.

Incidentally, however, tariffs are calculated not in general terms but on the specific category of the item being imported. This item fits into HTS category 8473.30.5100, which in the USA is import duty-free. That may be true in your country as well.
« Last Edit: Sat, 08 April 2017, 00:34:04 by norbauer »

Offline ihalatch

« Reply #44 on: Sat, 08 April 2017, 01:02:20 »
The retro-refrigerator colour is simply astonishing. I'm being stoic so far trying to extinguish the urge to buy another enclosure. I've already got the ORG silver and only one "semi-working" :) Novatouch board. Do you have any plans to sell some of the "liberated" boards you had on sale on your online store? If I get one I'll buy another "retro" colour enclosure. If anybody is interested in a silver Norbauer ORG enclosure I can let it go for $120, just PM me.

Offline cmc

« Reply #45 on: Sat, 08 April 2017, 01:12:17 »
I really like the seafoam color, but I ordered the brushed blue for my Novatouch. But, as zslane says, maybe for that Realforce RHB case…

Offline SICAR187

« Reply #46 on: Sat, 08 April 2017, 01:14:16 »
The Retro Green is so beautiful
Show Image

I think I have to go brushed tactical grey because 2017 has already decimated my wallet for the year, but man am I going to be super jelly of anyone that orders this color :))
That's by far my favorite too. With that name you would never guess. Still Kewl name tho 

Offline beamingrobot

• * Vendor
  • もうけい
    • monokei
« Reply #47 on: Sat, 08 April 2017, 03:06:37 »

I've looked into this pretty extensively. Many people don't realize that customs in many countries can and will, randomly, ask you for an original receipt to prove the value for which you paid for goods if there is any question as to the value. This actually happened to multiple buyers in round 1. If customs find that the value has been mis-represented, the goods can be impounded and destroyed, or a severe penalty can be charged to the importer who is (in the laws of many countries, such as the UK) actually held responsible for the contents of the customs forms. Sure, 99 items may get through unquestioned, but for the 1 out of a 100 that gets flagged, it's very bad news. So that's why, with my sincerest apologies, I have to declare the cases at the legal price paid.

I strongly believe that tariffs are awful and a horrible drag on global economic development, so I totally understand and sympathize with the request, but asking me to falsify official customs documents is like asking me to help you cheat on your income taxes: the risk to both of us just isn't worth it.  :( I really do feel very bad about it though.

Incidentally, however, tariffs are calculated not in general terms but on the specific category of the item being imported. This item fits into HTS category 8473.30.5100, which in the USA is import duty-free. That may be true in your country as well.

Thanks, appreciate your reply. I'll probably just go ahead anyway and order a few ;)

Offline orpheo

« Reply #48 on: Sat, 08 April 2017, 03:08:01 »

I truly respect your choice. But for me it's a deal breaker sadly I would have love the seafoam or the galactic blue.

Cheers

Offline Geroximo

« Reply #49 on: Sat, 08 April 2017, 06:19:21 »
Might it be possible to get more photos of the Galactic Blue and the Galactic Blue brushed?