Author Topic: NOW OPEN SOURCE!!! swill's plate building tool [builder.swillkb.com]  (Read 3054770 times)

Offline swornxin

• Nailed Down Custom Pins
Re: swill's plate building tool
« Reply #700 on: Thu, 26 February 2015, 22:57:23 »
So if I was going to build a lube station out of plastic, this is how I would do it. 

I would do this switch layer in 0.063" (1.6mm) plastic using the standard Alps + MX switch cutout so I could open the switches in the lube station (this is a required feature of any lube station IMO).

It would look like this.  I did a layout with 90 switches since I don't care about anything over a TKL in size:

Show Image

Now the main problem with this is that it will not be strong enough to support force if you have to insert LEDs into sip sockets and such.  To add support I would add the following layer under it.

This would be a supporting layer using 0.25" (6.35mm) plastic with a square cutout which has been expanded to 16x16 so it does not interfere with the clipping into the plate layer.

Show Image

In my drawings I have actually created the holes at 2.5mm with the intent to tap the holes and then just screw the two pieces together with M3 screws.

Looking at the materials that BBS offers, I think one of the following would be worth considering for this application.
- Acetal Plastic, Black (0.063" + 0.25")
- PETG Plastic, Clear (0.063" + 0.25")

I would have to check with BBS to see which they would recommend for this.

Does this all make sense?
Makes perfect sense!  I'm going to do a bit of research tomorrow at work, and hopefully I'll come back here to post about what I've decided to do!  Appreciate the help!

Octagon - 62g Cherry tactile greys
Phantom - 65g Cherry tactile greys
FC660M - Cherry blues
KC60 - Gateron browns

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #701 on: Thu, 26 February 2015, 23:01:38 »
So if I was going to build a lube station out of plastic, this is how I would do it. 

I would do this switch layer in 0.063" (1.6mm) plastic using the standard Alps + MX switch cutout so I could open the switches in the lube station (this is a required feature of any lube station IMO).

It would look like this.  I did a layout with 90 switches since I don't care about anything over a TKL in size:

Show Image

Now the main problem with this is that it will not be strong enough to support force if you have to insert LEDs into sip sockets and such.  To add support I would add the following layer under it.

This would be a supporting layer using 0.25" (6.35mm) plastic with a square cutout which has been expanded to 16x16 so it does not interfere with the clipping into the plate layer.

Show Image

In my drawings I have actually created the holes at 2.5mm with the intent to tap the holes and then just screw the two pieces together with M3 screws.

Looking at the materials that BBS offers, I think one of the following would be worth considering for this application.

Makes perfect sense!  I'm going to do a bit of research tomorrow at work, and hopefully I'll come back here to post about what I've decided to do!  Appreciate the help!
No worries. It is still a lot of cutting, so it may not be cheap.  It may actually be cheaper to get the top plate done in steel and doing just a simple .25" ring for the bottom in an inexpensive material.  We will have to check with BBS.

Offline swornxin

« Reply #702 on: Thu, 26 February 2015, 23:04:31 »

Show Image

Show Image

No worries. It is still a lot of cutting, so it may not be cheap.  It may actually be cheaper to get the top plate done in steel and doing just a simple .25" ring for the bottom in an inexpensive material.  We will have to check with BBS.
I could also just figure out how to make decent tools to open the switches, which would essentially solve the biggest of my problems.   :))

FC660M - Cherry blues
KC60 - Gateron browns

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #703 on: Thu, 26 February 2015, 23:07:31 »

Show Image

Show Image

I could also just figure out how to make decent tools to open the switches, which would essentially solve the biggest of my problems.   :))
Not really. It really helps to have a station. It is so much faster to do each step on 100 switches than it is to do the complete process on 100 switches sequentially. You put your tools down less and you can get into a rhythm if you are using a station. Trust me. This is mind numbing work, you will want every advantage you can get. :)

Offline phishy

« Reply #704 on: Fri, 27 February 2015, 12:28:17 »
Un-related but I don't want to make a thread for this and you guys have been so helpful.  For my 66 key build is it worth it to spend the few extra bucks for teensy 3.1 over the teensy 2.0?

Offline Dihedral

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #705 on: Fri, 27 February 2015, 12:50:39 »
Un-related but I don't want to make a thread for this and you guys have been so helpful.  For my 66 key build is it worth it to spend the few extra bucks for teensy 3.1 over the teensy 2.0?

No. The only real advantage is extra pins afaik.

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #706 on: Fri, 27 February 2015, 13:07:21 »

No I don't think so.  I think people prefer the Teensy2 whenever possible.  I am not sure of all the details, but I think there is something to do with flashing and such.  The Teensy2 is tried and true in this community.  It is by far the most recommended controller, so I would probably stick with it.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #707 on: Fri, 27 February 2015, 13:13:43 »

No I don't think so.  I think people prefer the Teensy2 whenever possible.  I am not sure of all the details, but I think there is something to do with flashing and such.  The Teensy2 is tried and true in this community.  It is by far the most recommended controller, so I would probably stick with it.

Firmware. With Teensy 2.0, you can use Soarer's, TMK, Easy AVR, etc... With Teensy 3.1, you can only use Kiibohd, AFAIK.

I find it much easier to open when the switches are inside a plate

??

I find it easiest to open the switches when loose. You just pop the 4 little tabs to open them.

Most switch lubing stations have oversized holes, so that the switches don't clip in at all. They just sit loosely in the hole.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline swornxin

« Reply #708 on: Fri, 27 February 2015, 13:38:40 »
I find it much easier to open when the switches are inside a plate

??

I find it easiest to open the switches when loose. You just pop the 4 little tabs to open them.

Most switch lubing stations have oversized holes, so that the switches don't clip in at all. They just sit loosely in the hole.
[/quote]
I see.  I am completely new to most of this.  The only modding I have done so far is to a Phantom that was already assembled.  I swapped the springs out, and taking the switches apart on it was much easier than holding a switch in my hands.

FC660M - Cherry blues
KC60 - Gateron browns

Offline phishy

« Reply #709 on: Fri, 27 February 2015, 15:14:41 »
Awesome thanks guys.  Just ordered up everything else I need to finish my board.  Gotta go find a soldering iron and decide on how i want to finish this bare aluminum plate now.

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #710 on: Fri, 27 February 2015, 15:17:06 »
Awesome thanks guys.  Just ordered up everything else I need to finish my board.  Gotta go find a soldering iron and decide on how i want to finish this bare aluminum plate now.

Brushed with some scotch brite or sand paper gets my vote.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline phishy

« Reply #711 on: Fri, 27 February 2015, 15:25:51 »

If i go that route (i've considered it) I'm definitely going to have to seal it afterwards.

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #712 on: Fri, 27 February 2015, 16:06:32 »

If i go that route (i've considered it) I'm definitely going to have to seal it afterwards.

Shouldn't have to.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #713 on: Fri, 27 February 2015, 20:20:59 »
So I took some measurements with my new calipers of Alps switch holes. The holes in the stock Alps plate I have measure on average 15.5 x 12.8 mm.

The custom plate I have with combo holes measures 15.6 x 12.0 mm for the Alps hole. So there must be a pretty wide tolerance for Alps switches!

A loose switch measured 12.68 x 15.35 mm at the mount point. But the holes in the custom plate don't attach all around the switch of course. Only on the corners.
« Last Edit: Fri, 27 February 2015, 20:23:35 by jdcarpe »
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #714 on: Fri, 27 February 2015, 20:29:17 »
So I took some measurements with my new calipers of Alps switch holes. The holes in the stock Alps plate I have measure on average 15.5 x 12.8 mm.

The custom plate I have with combo holes measures 15.6 x 12.0 mm for the Alps hole. So there must be a pretty wide tolerance for Alps switches!

A loose switch measured 12.68 x 15.35 mm at the mount point. But the holes in the custom plate don't attach all around the switch of course. Only on the corners.
Hmmm. OK, that's confusing. Not sure what to do with that now. If you squeeze the sides of the alps switch, can you stop the switch from returning once depressed?

Offline bueller

• MX baller
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Church of the Ergo Clear
« Reply #715 on: Sat, 28 February 2015, 04:39:16 »
Going to do a quote for a small GHPad 5x4 plate GB - should I be using standard waterjet machining or the low-taper option?
It's a good width!  If it's half-width it's too narrow, and full-width is too wide. 

[WTT] bueller's trade thread - CLACKS WANTED

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Old enough to know better
« Reply #716 on: Sat, 28 February 2015, 07:25:22 »
What thickness Alu or CF is appropriate to get?
I'm back.

Espresso machine overhaul: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=78261.0

Carbon Fiber keyboard base: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54825

Offline bueller

• MX baller
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #717 on: Sat, 28 February 2015, 07:38:09 »

Most of the plates I've got have 1.5mm plate thickness.
It's a good width!  If it's half-width it's too narrow, and full-width is too wide. 

Offline phishy

« Reply #718 on: Sat, 28 February 2015, 07:39:17 »
Going to do a quote for a small GHPad 5x4 plate GB - should I be using standard waterjet machining or the low-taper option?

Low-taper is for thicker materials...dont need to use it for a plate.  Also, which cut-out style are you using?  If you're planning on just using cherry switches I suggest the first cutout style.

Offline bueller

• MX baller
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #719 on: Sat, 28 February 2015, 07:40:29 »

Low-taper is for thicker materials...dont need to use it for a plate.  Also, which cut-out style are you using?  If you're planning on just using cherry switches I suggest the first cutout style.

Ideally I really want to use the 3rd one so people can open up the switches after soldering.

Offline phishy

« Reply #720 on: Sat, 28 February 2015, 07:41:06 »

The ideal thickness would be 1.5 mm or .06"....but i can confirm that .063" aluminum works as it's at the larger end of plate mounted cherry switches tolerance and makes for a nice tight secure fit.

Offline phishy

« Reply #721 on: Sat, 28 February 2015, 07:43:47 »

Ideally I really want to use the 3rd one so people can open up the switches after soldering.

That one might actually work well.  I know the second one isn't the best option because those little corners become rounded due to kerf and the switch has a little side to side movement, but it looks like the third cutout as long as the middle of the sides comes out perfect even if the corners for the indents are a bit rounded it will hold the switch perfectly.

Offline bueller

• MX baller
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #722 on: Sat, 28 February 2015, 07:47:28 »

That one might actually work well.  I know the second one isn't the best option because those little corners become rounded due to kerf and the switch has a little side to side movement, but it looks like the third cutout as long as the middle of the sides comes out perfect even if the corners for the indents are a bit rounded it will hold the switch perfectly.

Cool, cheers for the info! These will be used with a PCB so hopefully that should remove any play in the switches that are experienced when hand-wiring.

Offline phishy

« Reply #723 on: Sat, 28 February 2015, 07:53:57 »

Cool, cheers for the info! These will be used with a PCB so hopefully that should remove any play in the switches that are experienced when hand-wiring.

Alright cool.  Which layout did you end up deciding to go with for the numpad?

Offline bueller

• MX baller
  • * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #724 on: Sat, 28 February 2015, 07:56:45 »

Alright cool.  Which layout did you end up deciding to go with for the numpad?

Actually got an interest check going if you want to check out the finer details :)

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Old enough to know better
« Reply #725 on: Sat, 28 February 2015, 10:14:28 »
Thanks for the input on plate thickness. I'm going to order some CF ones soon.
I'm back.

Espresso machine overhaul: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=78261.0

Carbon Fiber keyboard base: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54825

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #726 on: Sat, 28 February 2015, 10:30:04 »

The second one also let's you open the switches and is cheaper to produce. If you are hand wiring then you can get the first cutout and just unclip the switches if you want to open them.

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #727 on: Sat, 28 February 2015, 10:32:01 »

BBS is working on solving the rounded corners of those nubs, so that should be a solved problem.

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #728 on: Sat, 28 February 2015, 10:33:31 »

I would use the second one then. It will be cheaper to produce.

Offline Dihedral

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #729 on: Sat, 28 February 2015, 11:14:46 »
Sorry to bother you swill, but has the cutout been updated yet?

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #730 on: Sat, 28 February 2015, 12:18:50 »
I have not changed the drawing yet. I am confused how to change it based on JDs measurements.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #731 on: Sat, 28 February 2015, 12:58:33 »
I have not changed the drawing yet. I am confused how to change it based on JDs measurements.

I tried several different Alps switches, an XM clone, an unnamed clone, and a Matias, in both of the cutouts that I measured. I had no fitment issues with either of them. I am not sure why the holes cut with your drawing did not work...they should work fine.

in memoriam

Offline Dihedral

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #732 on: Sun, 01 March 2015, 03:37:05 »

I tried several different Alps switches, an XM clone, an unnamed clone, and a Matias, in both of the cutouts that I measured. I had no fitment issues with either of them. I am not sure why the holes cut with your drawing did not work...they should work fine.

Blame it on the 3D printing?

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #733 on: Sun, 01 March 2015, 12:47:07 »

Blame it on the 3D printing?
BBS had the same problem though which is why I am confused. He ordered alps switches from MK to validate their fit.

Offline StinkyTheDonut

• I like rubber domes.
Re: swill's plate building tool [builder.swillkb.com]
« Reply #734 on: Tue, 03 March 2015, 01:23:51 »
I got a metal fab I know to ask their laser and plastic partners for quotes for my 108 costar stab case.
They came back with a preliminary guesstimate of some hundreds of CAD for 10 plates...
Sure it's almost a decent deal per plate at such a small volume, but it's 9 too many that I can't afford.
They are expecting the same numbers even if I went for a plastic plate, and they haven't even gotten a quote for other layers. T_T
This going way beyond wallet hack at the speed of light for me...
I can't even start a IC/GB with my post count lol

My project is getting buzzkilled left and right.
With the current state of Gon, I'm not sure I should space my plate for his PCB.

Anybody got some magic or wisdom for me? I feel like this is gonna end up dead in the water.
I only have a washable keyboard.

Offline neverused

« Reply #735 on: Tue, 03 March 2015, 01:31:38 »

With the current state of Gon, I'm not sure I should space my plate for his PCB.

Anybody got some magic or wisdom for me? I feel like this is gonna end up dead in the water.

I'd start a separate thread from swill's to ask these questions in. Also, come to accept that this may not be a cheap solution or hobby.

Offline StinkyTheDonut

• I like rubber domes.
« Reply #736 on: Wed, 04 March 2015, 04:18:11 »

I'd start a separate thread from swill's to ask these questions in. Also, come to accept that this may not be a cheap solution or hobby.

Well, I was really just hoping there would be some advice on how to cut corners on the plate and make it cheaper, and some persuasion tactics to make shops willing to make smaller volumes.
The rest was just me venting 'cause a lot happened in one day. Didn't expect to get help on everything here or I would have listed everything, and don't really think any of that is worth a thread anyway.
I do understand this is expensive, but I would think it's normal when somebody doesn't want to buy ten sets of something only to use one...
I only have a washable keyboard.

Offline BigBlueSaw

• Big Blue Saw
« Reply #737 on: Wed, 04 March 2015, 07:50:42 »
What price point are you trying to hit?

Offline DrHubblePhD

• I am star stuff
  • Location: Observable Universe, Virgo Supercluster, Local Group, Milky Way Galaxy, Solar System, Planet Earth
« Reply #738 on: Wed, 04 March 2015, 07:55:16 »
Just wanted to share that I recently used the tool to create a plate for an upcoming super secret project. It worked great and I was able to download as a .dfx and convert it to an auto desk inventor sketch which I could use to modify the borders. If anyone is trying to get this to work with inventor let me know and I would be happy to help!

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #739 on: Wed, 04 March 2015, 07:57:57 »

Well, I was really just hoping there would be some advice on how to cut corners on the plate and make it cheaper, and some persuasion tactics to make shops willing to make smaller volumes.
The rest was just me venting 'cause a lot happened in one day. Didn't expect to get help on everything here or I would have listed everything, and don't really think any of that is worth a thread anyway.
I do understand this is expensive, but I would think it's normal when somebody doesn't want to buy ten sets of something only to use one...

For some prototypes I was planning to do some stuff with a coping saw.  Once you get fancy machines involved the price is bound to go up.  Check with BBS directly.  They may be able to point you towards a material and process that can bring down costs for prototyping.

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #740 on: Wed, 04 March 2015, 07:59:07 »
Just wanted to share that I recently used the tool to create a plate for an upcoming super secret project. It worked great and I was able to download as a .dfx and convert it to an auto desk inventor sketch which I could use to modify the borders. If anyone is trying to get this to work with inventor let me know and I would be happy to help!

Awesome.  Glad it worked well.  Thanks for letting us know that it worked with auto desk inventor.  :)
« Last Edit: Wed, 04 March 2015, 08:00:59 by swill »

Offline cmadrid

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #741 on: Thu, 05 March 2015, 09:13:10 »
We should sticky this :o

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #742 on: Thu, 05 March 2015, 10:24:52 »

Not actually a bad idea.  I don't have the ability to do that though...

Offline Dihedral

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #743 on: Thu, 05 March 2015, 10:51:20 »

PM a mod?

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #744 on: Thu, 05 March 2015, 11:10:23 »

PM a mod?

I'm actually cleaning up all those stickies. But you made the list!

Super Awesome Tools and Resources Made By Users!

in memoriam

Offline Dihedral

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #745 on: Thu, 05 March 2015, 11:20:21 »

PM a mod?

Cool List - will be very useful to many in the future I'm sure.

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #746 on: Thu, 05 March 2015, 11:23:20 »

PM a mod?

Nice work dude. :)

Offline Dihedral

• Mostly Harmless
« Reply #747 on: Thu, 05 March 2015, 11:24:26 »
Now it's been added to that list, it might be a good idea to clean up the OP :)

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #748 on: Thu, 05 March 2015, 13:25:06 »
Now it's been added to that list, it might be a good idea to clean up the OP :)
Yes. I will work on that tonight.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #749 on: Thu, 05 March 2015, 13:26:36 »

PM a mod?

Nice work dude. :)

Thanks! I'm trying to reorganize some things where it makes sense.

in memoriam