Author Topic: NOW OPEN SOURCE!!! swill's plate building tool [builder.swillkb.com]  (Read 3047225 times)

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
Re: swill's plate building tool
« Reply #600 on: Mon, 23 February 2015, 20:53:58 »
May I ask what the final kerf value was for bigbluesaw?

I may use this tool to order a plate if the SD-60 doesn't show progress soon.
For their waterjet (aluminum and steels) they will adjust for kerf, so just leave kerf at zero. If you are having them laser cut for you, you may want to check since I think they will want kerf set.

Offline neverused

« Reply #601 on: Mon, 23 February 2015, 20:59:03 »
I'm going to look into waterjet and will use your tool to test it out

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #602 on: Mon, 23 February 2015, 21:47:38 »
I'm going to look into waterjet and will use your tool to test it out

If you have any questions about the processing, ask BigBlueSaw.  we have been working together to make sure their service is tailored to give us good quality services.

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #603 on: Mon, 23 February 2015, 21:50:25 »
I haven't seen any orders the past couple days for this. What's everyone waiting for?

BTW, we're having a contest to give away $450 in services: http://a.pgtb.me/mhW3Q6

Very cool.  Thank you for posting this and letting us know about this contest.  We should really start a thread just for that so people can bang around ideas and raise visibility of your services and the contest by creating hype in its own right.  :)

I will be sending you a project this week.  :)

Offline tjweir

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #604 on: Tue, 24 February 2015, 11:58:42 »
I just uploaded a .dxf to BigBlueSaw and it appears that I need an 8 foot by 8 foot plate. 0_o

I have the .dxf and .svg if you want to look at them @swill.

There is a chance I totally messed this up, it was my first time.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #605 on: Tue, 24 February 2015, 12:01:16 »
I just uploaded a .dxf to BigBlueSaw and it appears that I need an 8 foot by 8 foot plate. 0_o

Show Image

Sounds like the drawing was in mm, but they interpreted it in inches.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline joey

« Reply #606 on: Tue, 24 February 2015, 12:04:50 »
BigBlueSaw: Any ideas about shipping to the UK?

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #607 on: Tue, 24 February 2015, 12:15:57 »

Show Image

Yes, JD is correct.  Currently there is no unit information in the DXF export, so I export in mm and BBS picks it up and defaults to inches.  You can open the file in LibreCAD and export as DXF again and it will export the file in a more recent version of DXF and it will include the correct mm units.

Offline abjr

• abjr.org
« Reply #608 on: Tue, 24 February 2015, 12:27:29 »
What are some appropriate values to use for the Mount Hole diameter and Plate Corner radius? I used 2.7mm and 2mm respectively and the edge of the holes are about 1.15mm from the edge of the plate. I'm not sure if that would lead to the head of the screw overhanging the plate.
CM QFR | magicforce 68 (Gateron) | magicforce 68 (Outemu) | Acros 6311-K

Offline tjweir

• * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #609 on: Tue, 24 February 2015, 12:28:56 »

Show Image

Yes, JD is correct.  Currently there is no unit information in the DXF export, so I export in mm and BBS picks it up and defaults to inches.  You can open the file in LibreCAD and export as DXF again and it will export the file in a more recent version of DXF and it will include the correct mm units.

Ah, excellent, thank you both.

Offline vicibz

« Reply #610 on: Tue, 24 February 2015, 12:38:03 »
I'm planning on building my first custom keyboard and your plate building tool is going to save us all many hours, thanks!

I have some questions which may sound stupid but I really have no idea. It's concerning the screws. I will have 6 mount holes and I need some help figuring out the correct size. If I plan to use M2 screws (2mm diameter, right) do the holes need to be 2mm as well or do they have to be a bit bigger? Is there any reccomended size or anythig bigger than M2 M2,5 is too big?

Thanks!

Offline phishy

« Reply #611 on: Tue, 24 February 2015, 14:26:06 »
I just got my plate from UPS.  Looks awesome and the switches fit great and snug.  I'm actually not seeing any side to side play like in the video, im assuming he had to use ALOT of force to get it to slide.  Either way A+ and now can confirm that the tool works and that bigbluesaw is the go-to for getting this done online.

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #612 on: Tue, 24 February 2015, 14:38:12 »
I'm planning on building my first custom keyboard and your plate building tool is going to save us all many hours, thanks!

I have some questions which may sound stupid but I really have no idea. It's concerning the screws. I will have 6 mount holes and I need some help figuring out the correct size. If I plan to use M2 screws (2mm diameter, right) do the holes need to be 2mm as well or do they have to be a bit bigger? Is there any reccomended size or anythig bigger than M2 M2,5 is too big?

Thanks!

What are some appropriate values to use for the Mount Hole diameter and Plate Corner radius? I used 2.7mm and 2mm respectively and the edge of the holes are about 1.15mm from the edge of the plate. I'm not sure if that would lead to the head of the screw overhanging the plate.

These are good questions and I don't really have a good answer for you.  I would suggest that if you are going to use M2 screws that you make the holes at least 2.25mm in diameter.  Some of the cuts that I have seen from BBS so far are erroring on slightly too small (like .15mm smaller than drawn).  This should ensure that the screws will fit through without issues even if the hole is slightly smaller than spec.

As for the overhang.  I will have to get a caliper on the heads of some M2 (and M3) screws when I get home to give you a better idea of what you should be looking at for this.

On my next build project I plan to use M3 screws.  I am planning to make my mount holes a little smaller than 3mm so I can tap the holes and I will be screwing the plates together without nuts.  I plan to make a wooden spacer between my plates.  I am really interested in tapping the plates as I think it makes so much more sense than using screws.  I hope it works well.  It worked well in 5mm acrylic, so I am pretty sure that 1.5mm aluminum should work.  We will see...

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #613 on: Tue, 24 February 2015, 14:39:10 »
I just got my plate from UPS.  Looks awesome and the switches fit great and snug.  I'm actually not seeing any side to side play like in the video, im assuming he had to use ALOT of force to get it to slide.  Either way A+ and now can confirm that the tool works and that bigbluesaw is the go-to for getting this done online.

SWEET!!!  Thanks for reporting back.  :)

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #614 on: Tue, 24 February 2015, 15:00:53 »
I usually make the mounting holes 3mm in diameter, and use either M3 or 4-40 screws. I don't think I would use M2 screws for anything but mounting a PCB to standoffs.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline neverused

« Reply #615 on: Tue, 24 February 2015, 15:03:51 »
Out of curiosity, did you use the standard cut out that's a simple square or a different choice?

Thanks,
neverused

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #616 on: Tue, 24 February 2015, 15:05:11 »
Out of curiosity, did you use the standard cut out that's a simple square or a different choice?

Thanks,
neverused

From looking at the video, it would seem they were the "combined Alps/MX" holes, or the second from the left.

in memoriam

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #617 on: Tue, 24 February 2015, 15:11:54 »

Thanks,
neverused

From looking at the video, it would seem they were the "combined Alps/MX" holes, or the second from the left.
Yes. I can confirm this.

Offline neverused

« Reply #618 on: Tue, 24 February 2015, 15:14:30 »
Thanks!

Offline BigBlueSaw

• Big Blue Saw
« Reply #619 on: Tue, 24 February 2015, 15:19:27 »
Great to hear it. Please keep us up to date on your build.

Offline phishy

« Reply #620 on: Tue, 24 February 2015, 15:30:33 »
I'll definitely keep everything updated.  I should probably start a build thread so I don't crap up swill's thread with all of this haha.

And in the future I'll probably just use the 1st style cutouts.  I've actually 2 more projects in the works once I free up some money so I'll be in touch soon.

Also anyone where have recommendations for a company that can mill polycarbonate?

Offline vicibz

« Reply #621 on: Tue, 24 February 2015, 15:55:14 »
Thanks for the answers. I think I will go with 3.2mm

And in the future I'll probably just use the 1st style cutouts.  I've actually 2 more projects in the works once I free up some money so I'll be in touch soon.

May I ask why?

Is your plate aluminium or stainless steel? I still have to decide for both the switches' plate and the bottom plate :)
Would it be too heavy having both of steel?
Would it look weird having one of each (top aluminium, bottom steel)?

Thanks again!
« Last Edit: Tue, 24 February 2015, 16:05:15 by vicibz »

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #622 on: Tue, 24 February 2015, 16:15:12 »
Use the first style cutouts for hand wiring, because you increase stability by having as much area in contact with the switch as possible. Also, it will probably be cheaper, because the cuts are less complex. More complexity when cutting = longer machine time = higher cost.

Also, you can just unclip the switch from the plate to open the top, when they are hand wired with no PCB. You don't need the cutouts in the sides of the switch holes at all.

in memoriam

Offline phishy

« Reply #623 on: Tue, 24 February 2015, 16:20:17 »
Thanks for the answers. I think I will go with 3.2mm

May I ask why?

Is your plate aluminium or stainless steel? I still have to decide for both the switches' plate and the bottom plate :)
Would it be too heavy having both of steel?
Would it look weird having one of each (top aluminium, bottom steel)?

Thanks again!

For the sheer fact that I'm not using alps and because I'm hand wiring I don't need to be able to open switches while they are mounted to the plate.

Also I used aluminum so it's lighter.  The goal of this keyboard is to be small and light.  I'm going to end up putting a finish on the aluminum anyways.

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #624 on: Tue, 24 February 2015, 18:35:22 »
So I made a 60% layout, put it into the builder, download the DXF, but when I tried to input it to big blue saw's website, it tried to tell me that the design was 97" long and couldn't process it
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline sethk_

• Grand Master Wizard Pizza
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • www.kbdhub.com
    • My webstore
« Reply #625 on: Tue, 24 February 2015, 18:42:48 »
So I made a 60% layout, put it into the builder, download the DXF, but when I tried to input it to big blue saw's website, it tried to tell me that the design was 97" long and couldn't process it
Open it up in LibreCAD and save it as a DXF 2010 model, then reupload it, BBS defaults to in, and the way the file is saved doesn't suppor UOM.

Offline phishy

« Reply #626 on: Tue, 24 February 2015, 19:15:54 »
Don't know why I installed all the switches...gotta take em back out to anodize or paint the plate anyways.  Now I gotta order diodes, keycaps, controller, stabs and wires and soldering stuff.

Offline sethk_

• * Esteemed Elder
  • www.kbdhub.com
    • My webstore
« Reply #627 on: Tue, 24 February 2015, 19:47:33 »
Don't know why I installed all the switches...gotta take em back out to anodize or paint the plate anyways.  Now I gotta order diodes, keycaps, controller, stabs and wires and soldering stuff.

Show Image

What material and kerf did you use?

Offline phishy

« Reply #628 on: Tue, 24 February 2015, 19:56:25 »

Show Image

6061 Aluminum and I didn't use kerf.  If you're using Big Blue Saw (I recommend them) they will adjust for kerf on their end.

Offline sethk_

• * Esteemed Elder
  • www.kbdhub.com
    • My webstore
« Reply #629 on: Tue, 24 February 2015, 19:59:11 »

Show Image

6061 Aluminum and I didn't use kerf.  If you're using Big Blue Saw (I recommend them) they will adjust for kerf on their end.
Ok, thanks! And what program did you use to resize and what did you do in the program, I wan't to get it right on my first try, and sorry for the questions.

Offline phishy

« Reply #630 on: Tue, 24 February 2015, 20:02:20 »

Show Image

Ok, thanks! And what program did you use to resize and what did you do in the program, I wan't to get it right on my first try, and sorry for the questions.

BBS actually did it for me orginally because there was no DFX on the tool yet, but you can open with librecad and resave it.  I actually just installed librecad so I can price my next project, if you have any problems getting it right you can send me the DFX file and I'll fix it for you so it's good to send into BBS.

Offline sethk_

• * Esteemed Elder
  • www.kbdhub.com
    • My webstore
« Reply #631 on: Tue, 24 February 2015, 20:06:03 »

Show Image

BBS actually did it for me orginally because there was no DFX on the tool yet, but you can open with librecad and resave it.  I actually just installed librecad so I can price my next project, if you have any problems getting it right you can send me the DFX file and I'll fix it for you so it's good to send into BBS.
Thanks!

Offline phishy

« Reply #632 on: Tue, 24 February 2015, 20:24:00 »
Actually I just downloaded the latest version of librecad and loaded my dxf file up.  Trying to now re-save it but the latest version of DXF it supports is 2007.  Re-saving as this and uploading to BBS still doesnt work.  I've set the default values of the program to inches.  Anything else I need to do.

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #633 on: Tue, 24 February 2015, 20:30:59 »
Actually I just downloaded the latest version of librecad and loaded my dxf file up.  Trying to now re-save it but the latest version of DXF it supports is 2007.  Re-saving as this and uploading to BBS still doesnt work.  I've set the default values of the program to inches.  Anything else I need to do.
I thought someone had reported that it had worked. I will do more testing tonight and will try to make this clearer in the tool since it is coming up often.

Thanks for all the help in answering questions. :). Putting a baby to bed, so I have not been available to answer questions yet tonight.

Offline phishy

« Reply #634 on: Tue, 24 February 2015, 20:44:59 »
I thought someone had reported that it had worked. I will do more testing tonight and will try to make this clearer in the tool since it is coming up often.

Thanks for all the help in answering questions. :). Putting a baby to bed, so I have not been available to answer questions yet tonight.

It's all good man.  Your tool is what brought me here and I'm excited with the direction it's gone in and the progress with big blue saw coming on board.  **** like this keeps me entertained.

Offline neverused

« Reply #635 on: Tue, 24 February 2015, 20:45:27 »

Show Image

Very nice. Will this be getting its own thread? Also do you mind if I ask how much that was to have made?

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #636 on: Tue, 24 February 2015, 20:57:40 »

Show Image

BTW. What size holes did you use? Have you tested bolts/screws yet for fit?

Offline phishy

« Reply #637 on: Tue, 24 February 2015, 21:04:48 »

Show Image

Very nice. Will this be getting its own thread? Also do you mind if I ask how much that was to have made?

Yeah i'll be starting a build thread soon for it when I get the rest of my stuff.  It was 92.10 which seems to be the flat rate for 1offs unless it requires enough work to push it over that price.  for 5 or more it was only like 42 bucks a set.

Offline phishy

« Reply #638 on: Tue, 24 February 2015, 21:05:34 »

Show Image

I used 3mm holes.  Havent had a chance to test out the fit but I'm sure they will probably be slightly too tight.  I have access to a drill press though if need be.

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #639 on: Tue, 24 February 2015, 21:14:20 »

Show Image

I used 3mm holes.  Havent had a chance to test out the fit but I'm sure they will probably be slightly too tight.  I have access to a drill press though if need be.
If they are really too small, consider tapping them. That's what I will be doing, so mine will be intentionally small. What padding did you use?

Offline phishy

« Reply #640 on: Tue, 24 February 2015, 21:21:57 »

Show Image

If they are really too small, consider tapping them. That's what I will be doing, so mine will be intentionally small. What padding did you use?

I used 5mm padding.  And yeah I've considered tapping the bottom plate.  For this one the KB will be open air, just going to find metal spacers to put between the plates.

Offline abjr

• abjr.org
« Reply #641 on: Tue, 24 February 2015, 21:46:08 »

These are good questions and I don't really have a good answer for you.  I would suggest that if you are going to use M2 screws that you make the holes at least 2.25mm in diameter.  Some of the cuts that I have seen from BBS so far are erroring on slightly too small (like .15mm smaller than drawn).  This should ensure that the screws will fit through without issues even if the hole is slightly smaller than spec.

As for the overhang.  I will have to get a caliper on the heads of some M2 (and M3) screws when I get home to give you a better idea of what you should be looking at for this.

Thanks, that would be really helpful.

That might have been me. I just tried again with Draftsight and LibreCAD. It worked fine with both. LibreCAD worked fine as DXF 2007.

Offline phishy

« Reply #642 on: Tue, 24 February 2015, 21:56:58 »

That might have been me. I just tried again with Draftsight and LibreCAD. It worked fine with both. LibreCAD worked fine as DXF 2007.

So you saved the DXF, opened it in librecad, resaved as DXF 2007 and that's it?  Or does something need to be changed in librecad first?

Offline abjr

• abjr.org
« Reply #643 on: Tue, 24 February 2015, 22:20:09 »
So you saved the DXF, opened it in librecad, resaved as DXF 2007 and that's it?  Or does something need to be changed in librecad first?

Yes, just make sure your "Main Drawing Unit" is set to millimeters. Edit -> Current Drawing Preferences -> Units.

You can confirm it worked by opening your DXF in a text editor after you've saved it in LibreCAD and looking for:

Code: [Select]
$ACADVER
AC1021

and

Code: [Select]
$INSUNITS

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #644 on: Tue, 24 February 2015, 22:35:05 »

Alright, when I put a caliper on the screws I have I get the following:
M2 Screw section: 1.9mm
M2 Head: 3.4mm

M3 Screw section: 2.9mm
M3 Head: 5.1mm

I found this chart to be helpful for understanding what size holes I should be using.
https://littlemachineshop.com/Reference/TapDrillSizes.pdf

Hope those measurements help...

As for converting the DXF files:
- I have tested with LibreCAD exporting as DXF 2007 and it works perfectly for uploading to BBS.  NOTE: My default unit of measure in LibreCAD is MM.  I have this setting in: Preferences > Defaults > Unit
- I was going to try DraftSight, but my evaluation expired and I was too lazy to do anything about it.  :P
- I tried Teigha File Converter, but since the source file does not have UOM, it defaults to inches, so this does not help us.  If you need to convert a DXF 2007 with UOM correctly set to mm and you need it in a different format like DXF 2013, this would be a good option.  Keep in mind that you want to use ASCII in order for it to be usable by BBS.
- I tested with Inkscape, and it did not work.  I ended up with a corrupted file. 

In short, I think LibreCAD is the best option.  It is quick and easy to download and run and it is cross platform and free.
« Last Edit: Tue, 24 February 2015, 22:38:14 by swill »

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #645 on: Tue, 24 February 2015, 22:38:30 »
For screw dimensions, go to mcmastercarr.com and navigate your way to the hardware you want to use.  If you click on the part number there will be an icon to click on that gives you a technical drawing of nominal dimensions for said hardware.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #646 on: Tue, 24 February 2015, 23:07:28 »
I was just playing around on BBS and I was looking at different materials.  Is there a reason I would not use Copper?  Was considering it since it is a bit different and I have never seen anyone else with something like that (maybe for a reason).  :)

I was also considering having them cut me spacer layers in some interesting material.  Cork?, Cherry wood?, Acrylic (boring), Leather? Gasket material?   It would be fun to use some non-traditional materials for this build...

Ideas?

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #647 on: Tue, 24 February 2015, 23:28:26 »
I was just playing around on BBS and I was looking at different materials.  Is there a reason I would not use Copper?  Was considering it since it is a bit different and I have never seen anyone else with something like that (maybe for a reason).  :)

I was also considering having them cut me spacer layers in some interesting material.  Cork?, Cherry wood?, Acrylic (boring), Leather? Gasket material?   It would be fun to use some non-traditional materials for this build...

Ideas?

The biggest issue with copper is it will tarnish within hours of touching it with bare fingers.  The other more organic and softer materials like cork and leather would add a nice level of deadening to the case.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #648 on: Tue, 24 February 2015, 23:29:54 »

Ideas?

The biggest issue with copper is it will tarnish within hours of touching it with bare fingers.  The other more organic and softer materials like cork and leather would add a nice level of deadening to the case.

Ya, I was worried about that with copper.  I will definitely be doing something fun with the layers.  Either wood or something like cork or leather.  I think it will make it interesting...

Offline neverused

« Reply #649 on: Tue, 24 February 2015, 23:34:08 »
I would be concerned with its ductility, it may not hold up to mistreatment or even dropping very well.