Author Topic: GH60 Satan with HIDDEN USB THUMBDRIVE IN THE CASE! (SECOND ATTEMPT)  (Read 3164 times)

Offline WudUpA

Hi All,

I'm new at this.  I dont even know if I am posting in the correct place. I apologize if i am not and hopefully you will direct me to the correct place.

I'm posting because I am building a GH60 Satan keyboard.  I haven't received all the parts yet.  I was daydreaming about how I am going to build the keyboard and I got a crazy idea to hide a USB thumbdrive under the keyboard.  I want to wire it so that when you plug in the keyboard, it looks like just the keyboard is connected...but actually, there is a keyboard and thumbdrive connected to the computer. 

To achieve this, I wanted to buy a octopus usb hub, disassemble it for space saving.  Then directly connect it to the PCB.   

Do you think it would be easier to just hardwire the keyboard and skip the pcb modification?

this is a link to the usb hub that i was thinking about putting inside the case and wiring it to the pcb of the keyboard.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/USB-2-0-External-Hub-4-ports-High-Speed-Hi-Speed-Octopus-Black-Adapter/131458937648?epid=1400304488&hash=item1e9b903330:g:jkYAAOSw43haH5uc

I am using a datamancer wooden case.  there appears to be plenty of room in the case for something like this to work.  What do you guys think?  Is it possible? 

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline ErgoMacros

Re: GH60 Satan with HIDDEN USB THUMBDRIVE IN THE CASE! (SECOND ATTEMPT)
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 01 February 2018, 20:10:23 »
I was looking for something else entirely and came across this...
    http://www.instructables.com/id/HacKeyboard-a-mechanical-keyboard-built-from-scrat/

Includes "Internal 8GB secret storage" Not just you cannot see the thumb-drive on the keyboard, but it doesn't show up as a USB device until you press the right key combination.

He also shows how to repurpose a cheap USB hub.
Good stuff.

Oh, and welcome to Geekhack!
Today's quote: '...“but then the customer successfully broke that.”

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 01 February 2018, 22:38:01 »
Includes "Internal 8GB secret storage" Not just you cannot see the thumb-drive on the keyboard, but it doesn't show up as a USB device until you press the right key combination.
I like that part, though I;m not sure how practical hiding a usb stick in a keyboard really is. It's pretty easy to hide a thumbstick, not so easy to hide or transport a keyboard.
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline WudUpA

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 04 February 2018, 01:31:15 »
I just finished reading that article on the build.  That was awesome!

Offline kolec94

« Reply #5 on: Fri, 16 February 2018, 09:16:03 »
if you can solder get a pcb made with a hub chip and wire through it

I would think that if you desolder the ports, this would be smaller.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071JTSMVQ/ref=asc_df_B071JTSMVQ5355542/?tag=hyprod-20&creative=395033&creativeASIN=B071JTSMVQ&linkCode=df0&hvadid=198064502357&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=12606613118008171739&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9022941&hvtargid=pla-348303401662

Then use a usb stub style thumbdrives and remove the USB housing:
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147454&cm_re=thumbrive-_-20-147-454-_-Product

Between the two, it would fit in almost anything as they would both be little more than PCBs.
you would want low profile the other way not a full height usb flash drive
« Last Edit: Fri, 16 February 2018, 09:20:40 by kolec94 »

kbparadise v60 blues

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 16 February 2018, 19:32:07 »

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B071JTSMVQ/ref=asc_df_B071JTSMVQ5355542/?tag=hyprod-20&creative=395033&creativeASIN=B071JTSMVQ&linkCode=df0&hvadid=198064502357&hvpos=1o1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=12606613118008171739&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9022941&hvtargid=pla-348303401662

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820147454&cm_re=thumbrive-_-20-147-454-_-Product

Between the two, it would fit in almost anything as they would both be little more than PCBs.
Almost all modern usb sticks are just a single pcb, often with the usb contacts printed onto the pcb, including these micro ones. The only difference is the length and width of the pcb.

This shows what I'm talking about, this is how small they get when disassembled.
189029-0

Pics from here (not mine):
http://andrewbirkel.com/6-8-13disassemble-a-mini-flash-drive-sandisk-cruzer-fit/

You could also use one those super slim micro sd card readers which are about as thick as two micro sdcards, allowing you to change it to be swapped out. like this:
https://www.officedepot.com/a/products/339018/Kingston-USB-microSD-High-Capacity-Card/
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline kolec94

« Reply #7 on: Sat, 17 February 2018, 16:55:25 »

Almost all modern usb sticks are just a single pcb, often with the usb contacts printed onto the pcb, including these micro ones. The only difference is the length and width of the pcb.

This shows what I'm talking about, this is how small they get when disassembled.
(Attachment Link)

Pics from here (not mine):
http://andrewbirkel.com/6-8-13disassemble-a-mini-flash-drive-sandisk-cruzer-fit/

You could also use one those super slim micro sd card readers which are about as thick as two micro sdcards, allowing you to change it to be swapped out. like this:
https://www.officedepot.com/a/products/339018/Kingston-USB-microSD-High-Capacity-Card/
micro sd cards would kill usb performance and you still need a a usb hub chip

kbparadise v60 blues

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #8 on: Sat, 17 February 2018, 17:33:47 »
micro sd cards would kill usb performance and you still need a a usb hub chip
Few small thumbsticks transfer much above USB 2.0 speeds, despite claims or the connection, in fact many USB 3.0 sticks have the same chips inside them as the 2.0 version, the only difference is a 3.0 connector, I even have some 2.0 that outperform my cheaper 3.0 sticks especially when transferring large files which cause the 3.0 to start becoming over heated. More importantly this is meant to be discrete and hidden, so I highly doubt large files are the really the intent.

The same applies to sdcard classes, not all created equal, I have some class 4's that easily outperform some class 10s which can saturate a usb 2.0 connection.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More