Author Topic: Keebs: A guys-only thing?  (Read 13557 times)

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
Keebs: A guys-only thing?
« on: Sat, 24 February 2018, 04:00:34 »
Does anyone know if even one gal has ever posted here on GH? You can't really tell with the nicks, and I may be completely wrong—but judging from the dialogue, it's always seemed like everyone here was a guy. After, like, three years of babbling away here with y'all, this just occurred to me.

So, are only guys drawn to keeb stuff? If so, why do you suppose that is? Keebs don't seem like something that'd be gender-limited. Gals type, right? And if you're gonna type, why wouldn't you want a nice MK that felt and sounded so much better than an RD or membrane, and looked prettier, and maybe even lit up and did disco effects? This all seems like it could be as much a female thing as male. But no? Why? Discuss.
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
Re: Keebs: A guys-only thing?
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 24 February 2018, 04:02:22 »
I thought it'd be fun to include a relevant graphic here, so I Googled:

keyboard male female

...and got this, of course:

189570-0

:p
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline joey

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 24 February 2018, 04:06:13 »
Yes there are girls.

Offline captsis

• Formerly matt2dlg
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 24 February 2018, 04:09:47 »
Yes, several. (statistically there has to be lol)

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 24 February 2018, 04:10:18 »
Yes there are girls.

Paint me like one of your French girl sharks

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 24 February 2018, 06:31:24 »
I've seen several girls at both the UK and the Dutch meetups.

That said, according to Youtube, my viewer demographics are 96% male.
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline beehatch

• baehatch
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 24 February 2018, 06:40:30 »
I'm super female

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #7 on: Sat, 24 February 2018, 08:46:57 »
With TP4 as chief recruiter, what do you think?
Cognitive distortions are patterns of thought, typically automatic and unconscious, that cause an inaccurate, negative view of situations, people, and/or events. These include things like jumping to conclusions; black-and-white thinking; negative mental filtering; overgeneralizing; mindreading (incorrectly believing we know what others are thinking, what their motives are); and emotional reasoning (believing that if we are feeling something, or if what we are thinking is associated with a strong emotion, it must be true).
- Scott Jansenn 2024-04-07

Offline p_blaze

« Reply #8 on: Sat, 24 February 2018, 09:43:34 »

Lmao dropping the stats

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #10 on: Sat, 24 February 2018, 10:11:24 »

Lmao dropping the stats

I counted up the meetups videos every year.

There are double the quantity of the GH forum stat, But at least 1/2 of those meetup females are not true enthusiasts, they're either someone's girlfriend or just didn't have a "Real" party to goto that day.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #11 on: Sat, 24 February 2018, 11:27:50 »

females are not true enthusiasts

Thanks buddy, you're really helping the cause, as always.
Cognitive distortions are patterns of thought, typically automatic and unconscious, that cause an inaccurate, negative view of situations, people, and/or events. These include things like jumping to conclusions; black-and-white thinking; negative mental filtering; overgeneralizing; mindreading (incorrectly believing we know what others are thinking, what their motives are); and emotional reasoning (believing that if we are feeling something, or if what we are thinking is associated with a strong emotion, it must be true).
- Scott Jansenn 2024-04-07

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #12 on: Sat, 24 February 2018, 12:55:16 »

I counted up the meetups videos every year.

There are double the quantity of the GH forum stat, But at least 1/2 of those meetup females are not true enthusiasts, they're either someone's girlfriend or just didn't have a "Real" party to goto that day.

Thanks buddy, you're really helping the cause, as always.

Tp4 = Gekhak #Ronery4ever Chairman..   

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: Sat, 24 February 2018, 13:31:43 »
The official membership stats suggest a 29.8:1 ratio, though what gender the many banned spambots identify as I wouldn't like to say!
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #14 on: Sat, 24 February 2018, 13:39:34 »
The official membership stats suggest a 29.8:1 ratio, though what gender the many banned spambots identify as I wouldn't like to say!

Most engineering departments have 1:15,    so.. that would be a more accurate reference number for females in this hobby..

Offline Parva Ovis

« Reply #15 on: Sat, 24 February 2018, 14:15:32 »
How is this information gathered? Most forums have a Gender category next to Age and Location in the profile area but I can't find it for Geekhack.

Offline Chromatrope

• Tortures arrows, murders Lshift, doesn't press X
« Reply #16 on: Sat, 24 February 2018, 15:47:45 »
How is this information gathered? Most forums have a Gender category next to Age and Location in the profile area but I can't find it for Geekhack.

Yeah uh that's fishy, no ticker anywhere.

In any case I suppose you could add me to the 3.4%, though that is not in spite of the cultural pressure surrounding the artificial gendering of interests since I haven't exactly had to deal with that myself. The absurd male to female ratio has nothing to do with the people themselves and everything to do with what society expects from people, which is a shame.
I dance significantly better through bullet patterns than the alphanumerics. Known to cause heart failure in touch typists on sight.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #17 on: Sat, 24 February 2018, 15:58:26 »

Yeah uh that's fishy, no ticker anywhere.

In any case I suppose you could add me to the 3.4%, though that is not in spite of the cultural pressure surrounding the artificial gendering of interests since I haven't exactly had to deal with that myself. The absurd male to female ratio has nothing to do with the people themselves and everything to do with what society expects from people, which is a shame.

"what society expects from people, which is a shame."

It is not completely correct to blame society, since labor organization and ancillaries are designed around the mechanical differences between genders.

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: Sat, 24 February 2018, 16:48:38 »
Is it included during registration but due to 'old fashioned thinking' it's assumed to be static so it doesn't show anywhere?  It's been a while since I registered so can't say I remember either way...
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline mudcakehoney

« Reply #19 on: Sat, 24 February 2018, 17:22:48 »
I could be either

Offline mudcakehoney

« Reply #21 on: Sat, 24 February 2018, 18:10:58 »
I could be either

Saw a documentary about that recently.
Oh a ‘documentary’ hey

Offline Signature

• master of puppers
  • * Marketplace Moderator
  • snoozing
« Reply #22 on: Sat, 24 February 2018, 18:14:38 »
Very busy with studies atm.

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #23 on: Sat, 24 February 2018, 18:16:08 »
Show Image

Apart from you, we know you're a cute little Shiba.

Offline Signature

• master of puppers
  • * Marketplace Moderator
  • snoozing
« Reply #24 on: Sat, 24 February 2018, 18:18:11 »
Very busy with studies atm.

Offline bearz42

« Reply #25 on: Sat, 24 February 2018, 18:25:51 »
Does anyone know if even one gal has ever posted here on GH? You can't really tell with the nicks, and I may be completely wrong—but judging from the dialogue, it's always seemed like everyone here was a guy. After, like, three years of babbling away here with y'all, this just occurred to me.

So, are only guys drawn to keeb stuff? If so, why do you suppose that is? Keebs don't seem like something that'd be gender-limited. Gals type, right? And if you're gonna type, why wouldn't you want a nice MK that felt and sounded so much better than an RD or membrane, and looked prettier, and maybe even lit up and did disco effects? This all seems like it could be as much a female thing as male. But no? Why? Discuss.

My ladyfriend isn't real into the forum thing but she absolutely loves mechanical keyboards. She had a saber68 that we're about the take apart. She went to keycon with me. Actually she even drove us there. She helped solder the keyboard that I'm typing on now. As soon as zeal ships these stabilizers that I ordered we'll be modding some silent blacks together so she can build her kbd75. She's absloutely into the scene. Just not the forums as much.

I get what you mean though. My ex girlfriend typed all of the time and could care less about mechanical keyboards which is mind blowing to me. But yeah, there are some women that are into this. I saw a few at keycon when I went as well.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #26 on: Sat, 24 February 2018, 19:40:37 »
Registration doesn't ask.
Log out and click register, you can check for yourself.

Are there women here, of course.
Why do you need to know what the gender is of the person you are talking to? It shouldn't, we discuss keyboards, not periods or sex, and as I love pointing out to Tp4tissue every time he brings up the topic, it's not a dating site.

Unless you are prepared to have a conversation about sexism and women in tech, you don't want this conversation because trying to have an honest conversation about it ends with a few guys lashing out with hurt feelings. And we can't have that! Then it just devolves into a bunch of guys saying it's not them (it is) and it's not that bad (it is) and then start pointing out how some women take advantage of it (which some do), ignoring that the guys enable this behavior (by giving free stuff) and that many of those women are actually guys pretending (because free stuff).

Bottom line is this,  we're here, but we hide because it causes more problems than it helps.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline p_blaze

« Reply #27 on: Sat, 24 February 2018, 19:52:38 »

Why do you need to know what the gender is of the person you are talking to? It shouldn't, we discuss keyboards, not periods or sex, and as I love pointing out to Tp4tissue every time he brings up the topic, it's not a dating site.

Unless you are prepared to have a conversation about sexism and women in tech, you don't want this conversation because trying to have an honest conversation about it ends with a few guys lashing out with hurt feelings. And we can't have that! Then it just devolves into a bunch of guys saying it's not them (it is) and it's not that bad (it is) and then start pointing out how some women take advantage of it (which some do), ignoring that the guys enable this behavior (by giving free stuff) and that many of those women are actually guys pretending (because free stuff).

Bottom line is this,  we're here, but we hide because it causes more problems than it helps.

I reply to these threads for the meme
I honestly couldn't care less about the gender of internet strangers
Tp4 is our prophet

Offline captsis

• Formerly matt2dlg
« Reply #28 on: Sat, 24 February 2018, 20:22:10 »

and as I love pointing out to Tp4tissue every time he brings up the topic, it's not a dating site.

Heh.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #29 on: Sat, 24 February 2018, 21:03:22 »

I agree with Lesliann,  we should have a Gekhak -Dating- section..

Volunteers needed to invigilate / confirm account.

Offline captsis

• Formerly matt2dlg
« Reply #30 on: Sat, 24 February 2018, 21:04:34 »

We do. Meetups.

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #31 on: Sat, 24 February 2018, 21:25:16 »
We do. Meetups.

keyboard community meatup orgies. shhh, tp doesn't need to know about them  :blank:

Offline p_blaze

« Reply #32 on: Sat, 24 February 2018, 21:33:58 »

Show Image

tp4 seeing the best in everything

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #33 on: Sat, 24 February 2018, 23:31:22 »

I totally approve this, make everyone who wants to participate send a crotch shot to verify.
Enjoy the sausage.  :))
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline captsis

• Formerly matt2dlg
« Reply #34 on: Sat, 24 February 2018, 23:39:27 »

I totally approve this, make everyone who wants to participate send a crotch shot to verify.
What if you're vegetarian?

Offline p_blaze

« Reply #35 on: Sat, 24 February 2018, 23:53:35 »

Coming from a converted vegetarian, you're missing out on a lot

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #36 on: Sun, 25 February 2018, 00:11:15 »

Coming from a converted vegetarian, you're missing out on a lot

S'ok guys.. We'll have a Vegan subsection, and Omnivore subsection..

What's nice is 80% of Vegans are Female..

Hurray for Tp4 (Male)..

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #37 on: Sun, 25 February 2018, 04:51:28 »

You can ask an expert, but I'm pretty sure it's safe to say it's vegan safe.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #38 on: Sun, 25 February 2018, 05:31:34 »

You can ask an expert, but I'm pretty sure it's safe to say it's vegan safe.
The sausage is fine but the special sauce comes from a living creature and isn't produced for eating but doesn't require the provider to die - pretty sure that makes it veggie but not vegan...
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #39 on: Sun, 25 February 2018, 06:44:09 »
As a vegetarian, I don't eat at McDonalds anyway ...

This site was created for techs ("geek") and writers/journalists ("hack") but I get the impression that there mostly techs around here. In tech jobs I've had, there have been women, but few in tech positions: 1/8 at most. At newsrooms and magazines I've been to the gender distributions have been more equal.

Edit: BTW. I would not eat at McDonalds even if I ate meat.
« Last Edit: Wed, 28 February 2018, 02:58:32 by Findecanor »

Offline iri

« Reply #40 on: Sun, 25 February 2018, 10:13:13 »
This whole forum is doing what I expect girls to do.
(...)Whereas back then I wrote about the tyranny of the majority, today I'd combine that with the tyranny of the minorities. These days, you have to be careful of both. They both want to control you. The first group, by making you do the same thing over and over again. The second group is indicated by the letters I get from the Vassar girls who want me to put more women's lib in The Martian Chronicles, or from blacks who want more black people in Dandelion Wine.
I say to both bunches, Whether you're a majority or minority, bug off! To hell with anybody who wants to tell me what to write. Their society breaks down into subsections of minorities who then, in effect, burn books by banning them. All this political correctness that's rampant on campuses is b.s.

-Ray Bradbury

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #41 on: Sun, 25 February 2018, 10:22:25 »
As a vegetarian, I don't eat at McDonalds anyway ...

This site was created for techs ("geek") and writers/journalists ("hack") but I get the impression that there mostly techs around here. In tech jobs I've had, there have been women, but few in tech positions: 1/8 at most. At newsrooms and magazines I've been to the gender distributions have been more equal.

Time to go 100% Plant based @ 10% Fats..

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #42 on: Tue, 27 February 2018, 20:48:53 »
Yes, several. (statistically there has to be lol)

Well, you'd think...

With TP4 as chief recruiter, what do you think?

That an unusual number of the peeps here also stand on streetcorners, warning passersby about the impending arrival of evil aliens disguised as Sesame Street characters?

In any case I suppose you could add me to the 3.4%... The absurd male to female ratio has nothing to do with the people themselves and everything to do with what society expects from people, which is a shame.

And yet, people are society—so with that kind of thinking, don't you end up in an M. C. Escher-type endless loop of cause and effect?

189934-0

Unless you are prepared to have a conversation about sexism and women in tech, you don't want this conversation because trying to have an honest conversation about it ends with a few guys lashing out with hurt feelings... Then it just devolves into a bunch of guys saying it's not them (it is) and it's not that bad (it is) and then start pointing out how some women take advantage of it (which some do), ignoring that the guys enable this behavior (by giving free stuff) and that many of those women are actually guys pretending (because free stuff)...

Normally I'd agree. Remember, though, we're talking about keyboard geeks—guys who spend much of their time looking down at their fingers and obsessing over small, precisely aligned objects. I think most of them would be so excited by the idea of communicating with females, they wouldn't want to ruin it by asserting their masculinity (which, again, in most cases, wouldn't be much of an issue either, LOL).

I agree with Lesliann,  we should have a Gekhak -Dating- section... Volunteers needed...

That's a great idea—if for no other reason than it's nearly impossible to get a second date once the person you've asked on the first date (which, again, in most cases would be moot) finds out that you do something like collecting keyboards. So if we all started as KB geeks, that'd remove at least one formidable hurdle.

The only question for me is, should we encourage KB geeks to reproduce? After all, there's a limited number of vintage MKs in the world, and demand drives prices up. We should think about this carefully.

It is not completely correct to blame society, since labor organization and ancillaries are designed around the mechanical differences between genders.

Not to mention the mechanical differences between posting formats.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #43 on: Tue, 27 February 2018, 21:14:19 »

Tp4,  Best Format..

Offline p_blaze

« Reply #44 on: Tue, 27 February 2018, 21:36:45 »

Show Image

Tp4,  Best Format..

this font is better than yours

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #45 on: Tue, 27 February 2018, 21:39:24 »

Show Image

Tp4,  Best Format..

I bet to defer

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #46 on: Wed, 28 February 2018, 04:21:18 »

190011-0

Offline captsis

• Formerly matt2dlg
« Reply #47 on: Wed, 28 February 2018, 04:22:25 »

Show Image

Tp4,  Best Format..

I bet to defer

Show Image

Alright tp. How much?

Offline Coreda

« Reply #48 on: Wed, 28 February 2018, 04:40:20 »

I've had to resort to a userstyle to cope with all the large teal. Only so much one can handle.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #49 on: Wed, 28 February 2018, 04:48:52 »
Normally I'd agree. Remember, though, we're talking about keyboard geeks—guys who spend much of their time looking down at their fingers and obsessing over small, precisely aligned objects. I think most of them would be so excited by the idea of communicating with females, they wouldn't want to ruin it by asserting their masculinity (which, again, in most cases, wouldn't be much of an issue either, LOL).
Yeaaah, everyone thinks "not me/us".

Geeks and techs are better about it until you cross some imaginary line, then they can actually be some of the most sexist you will find. All that pent up aggression from how they were treated in school comes out and they can get outright nasty.
More
More
| GMMK TKL
More
More
| Magicforce 68
More
More
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More