Author Topic: This makes me want to vomit (another guy with too much money and poor taste)  (Read 3959 times)

Offline berserkfan

• changing diapers is more fun than model f assembly
http://www.ebay.com/itm/WASD-V1-Mechanical-Keyboard-/390825200111?pt=PCA_Mice_Trackballs&hash=item5afeff49ef

He bought a keyboard from WASD and had it customized like that? OMG. And did he swipe the legend-ed keycaps from an innocent Filco who is now missing plenty of keycaps?

That is some poor taste in colors, patterns, etc.

BTW at $70 shipped starting bid, I do not consider this a good deal. Anyway I already posted two good deals today and these should go fast.

As it isn't my keyboard, I'm not putting this in Unicorn Vomit boards either.

If you don't mind being mean, buy and file complaint on this guy if anything is unsatisfactory. I very strongly suspect it's not 'used 3 months' as he claims. WASD v1 is an old model and the casing doesn't look in such great shape. Real age of the keyboard is probably over 13 months, but the glare makes it hard to determine the extent of keycap shine.
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline Lu_e

Ya its ugly but you sound like you have a vendetta against him or something.

Offline yuktsi

• * Maker
  • Colour my life with the chaos of trouble
oh god, my eyes are bleeding
email: yuktsi@ttggrr.cc

My collection

More
Poker 2 | LZ CE | Leopold FC700R | KMAC 1.2 | EXE | GON NS87 | GON Nerd TKL | Duck Poker | Duck Orion | Realforce 87u 55g | OTD 456GT | LZ B7 | OTD 360C | Ducky G2 Pro | Apple Extended | Apple M0116 | Apple M0116 | Cherry G80-1220HAD | Duck Octagon | HHKB Pro 2 | Duck Unicorn | LZ B8 | LZ RE | ENVKX | OTD 456GT | LZ FE | HHKB Type S | TX1800| Duck Orion V2 | LZ FE | KPad | KMAC Happy | ENVKX | LZ RV | KMAC 2 | Whale | Dolphin | EM7 | TGR Jane | VE.A | DK Saver | Matrix 10xv1.0 | Whale | HHKB BT | Dolphin v2 | EM7 v2 | SSK | SSK (Blue Label) | LZ SQ | Duck Octagon v2 | TX84 | GON Mobik | TX-CP | LZ Ergo2 | KMAC Happy HHKB | TGR 910 | TGR Tris | Matrix 8xv1.2 | KMAC Mini | Mira | Fjell | 356mini | Dolphin GH | EM7 GH | TARO EXENT | Masterkey Pro L Crysta l OTD Koala | Duck Viper | Keycult no.1 | 356mini | 356pad | Matrix 8xv2.0 | 420cl | Matrix 8xv1.0 | Whale Special | Poly Dolphin | Keycult No.2 | FMJ80 | Singa R2 | Whale Poly | 356cl | HBCP | Dolinger | Linger | FMJ80 | KFE

Offline berserkfan

Ya its ugly but you sound like you have a vendetta against him or something.

I just don't like the bad taste, and the highly suspect description.
Most of the modding can be done on your own once you break through the psychological barriers.

Offline Zeal

• Actually the King of Green Tea Kit-Kats
  • * Vendor
    • Zeal Generation Inc.

^^^

Can you imagine what the guys @ WASD were thinking while putting on the keycaps?  :-X
        "Bird have wing, bird will fly. Henry had wings.  Henry now fly." -Sent

Offline Pacifist

• Report me *again* if there are gifs in my sig
  • * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus

^^^

Can you imagine what the guys @ WASD were thinking while putting on the keycaps?  :-X

Just realized somebodys job is to put on keycaps. Each time different. Each time not wanting to screw it up even though the colors are so....WHY

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb

^^^

Just realized somebodys job is to put on keycaps. Each time different. Each time not wanting to screw it up even though the colors are so....WHY

and he's just some rich guy who passive aggressively orders keyboards from WASD because he has a long standing grudge against that specific WASD employee.

#conspiracy #richpeoplerevenge

Offline RabRhee

• Life is just a box of cherries.
I don't think it is some rich guy, I think its just what can happen when you put a keyboard designing program in one end and a human in the other. Some may fail. Although the black caps do seem like an upgrade on his original design.. (UP?? - grade??)

https://www.flickr.com/photos/wasdkeyboards/page4/
-Life is good-          Crafting: |  KeychainsMore.   .Keychains | Crowdsource Key | Budget Keycap Board |

QFR Dvorak Greens | Neo 87 Dvorak Blues

Offline Zeal

• * Vendor
    • Zeal Generation Inc.
I don't think it is some rich guy, I think its just what can happen when you put a keyboard designing program in one end and a human in the other. Some may fail. Although the black caps do seem like an upgrade on his original design.. (UP?? - grade??)

I just went through the whole album and didn't find it.. Some of the customs designs were also somewhat questionable...

Offline fknraiden

I'm not seeing how this guy has too much money... What? Like 4-5 sets of caps?

IBM SSK 87'     ReAlForce 55g Silent 10AE

Offline berserkfan

I just went through the whole album and didn't find it.. Some of the customs designs were also somewhat questionable...

Zeal, remember I said this seller is sleazy. I remember reading that WASD deletes the oldest stuff in his album after a very, very long time. Apart from the V1 having being discontinued for quite a long time, I suspect this '3 month old' keyboard is way, way old.

That said, Custom Designer + kid =  :eek:

Offline sth

• 2 girls 1 cuprubber

^^^

"haha this ******* is actually giving us money for this, i can't believe i get paid to do this"
11:48 -!- SmallFry [~SmallFry@unaffiliated/smallfry] has quit [Ping timeout: 245 seconds] ... rest in peace

Offline epzy

• HHKB Fiend
  • ded

^^^

LOL, I didn't even think about that!
FaceW ~ Duck Viper ~ Kishsaver ~ HHKB Pro 2 Cherry G81-3000SAU ~ Filco Majestouch 2 ~ GON NS NerD 60 HHKB ~ 360 Corsa (jk skam) ~ KMAC Happy (jk skam) ~ JD40 (jk skam)

Offline Beca

• what am i doing with my life

^^^

I would love that job.

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
Looks like he ordered an SP crap bag and filled up the board with caps from that.

Poor taste, sure, but it says nothing of his financial status. Or necessarily his personal taste, it doesn't say he actually used it like that.

On another note, MOST of the cap sets in those WASD images are.... horrible..
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline berserkfan

Looks like he ordered an SP crap bag and filled up the board with caps from that.

Poor taste, sure, but it says nothing of his financial status. Or necessarily his personal taste, it doesn't say he actually used it like that.

On another note, MOST of the cap sets in those WASD images are.... horrible..

nah, it's a WASD keyboard, not a Cherry dyesub board.

he won't get much benefit to plucking off the WASD keycaps and keeping them.

that said, I am still wondering when the hell Weyman Kwong is going to offer PBT keycaps. Didn't he say like a year ago he was going to do so eventually? Once he starts offering PBT, his ABS business is gonna tank, so he has to sell off his ABS stocks first I guess.

Offline Coreda

Why does it imply he has too much money?

Offline samwisekoi

• MAWG since 1997
  • * Administrator
  • Sorry, moving houses. Be back ASAP.
    • Tweet samwisekoi
I have not seen his latest UV process, but the previous WASD white-on-black were quite good.  Very white, good contrast and resolution.

I say this to allay fears that there is a poor Filco with some keycaps missing.

Also, I would be very surprised if WASD did NOT have v1 keyboards left in stock.  This could be "3 months old" for some legit value of the term.  Could be.

Also, maybe this looks great if you were color-blind.  Or just blind.  ;)

Last time I talked to Weyman he couldn't get the results he wanted imprinting on PBT, so he was considering offering stock keyboards with OEM PBT keycaps.  (This was when I was trying to get him to shoot the Elvish legends on blank PBT keycaps I was trying to get from Imsto.)

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.  That keyboard might look restrained next to a windowed G1.Sniper build with colored lights and coolant.

Don't hate on the guy because you don't understand his choices.  There are people in this world who don't understand why we would buy even ONE mechanical keyboard, let alone multiple keyboards plus multiple keycap sets.

- Ron | samwisekoi

p.s.  I think the keycap color scheme blows chunks.  And I mean that in the nicest possible way. :D
I like keyboards and case modding.  Everything about a computer should be silent -- except the KEYBOARD!

'85 IBM F-122/Soarer Keyboard |  Leopold FC200 TKL (Browns) + GH36 Keypad (Browns/Greens) | GH-122 (Whites/Greens) with Nuclear Data Green keycaps in a Unicomp case

Offline berserkfan

SamWiseKoi, can I ask you about this PBT imprinting thing? See, I’ve always thought it’s basically the same. The keycaps are made already, they are put on some kinda tray, the laser zaps them and that’s laser etched for you.

UV process involves more complication. Sure, it’s nicer looking, but I think every businessman needs to go step by step. If he makes money selling custom PBT lasered, he could do that for a while and experiment on his UV process in the meantime. Remember there are such things as market cycles and product cycles. Offering everything in one go doesn’t work because your market can’t buy everything in one go.

But you’re absolutely right. We shouldn’t hate on this guy. I’m sure he’s just your average touch typist and doesn’t look at his keyboard anyway. 

Offline Findecanor

The price is now at $59. I don't think that the seller intended to use this scheme, but this scheme is mostly because he had these keycaps left over.

Offline mickyman

I keep wondering why he kept the black caps, with the letters, instead of getting black ones along with the white caps too.
Poker II /w blues         Ergodox /w blues

Offline Txduck

Yikes!!  :eek:  LOL

Offline exitfire401

• * Global Moderator
  • The Force is Re/\l
That's alright...check out this poor unfortunate code =( poor thing didn't know what hit it.

Boards: Kingsaver Complicated Blue Alps |Sprit 60% Transparent MX Clears in Gateron housings with 62g gold Sprit springs lubed and RGB color shifting LEDs | Ducky Shine Zone MX Black with Blue LEDs | Realforce 10AE Variable Silenced

B/S/T thread: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=55351.0

Past projects: KBT Race 2 L.E.
Past Boards: Ducky Shine 2 | KBT Pure | LZ Aluminum Skin| HHKB | Realforce 23u |

Offline TheSoulhunter

• Thorpelicious!
Nah, people with too much money don't sell their used keyboards on ebay, they donate em to Africa...

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
That's alright...check out this poor unfortunate code =( poor thing didn't know what hit it.

Show Image

that's not bad at all. i'm a sucker for unicorn vomit boards though
 :llama:

Offline Pacifist

• Report me *again* if there are gifs in my sig
  • * Elevated Elder
  • on hiatus
Nah, people with too much money don't sell their used keyboards on ebay, they donate em to Africa...

(Attachment Link) (Attachment Link)

Who knew africa was the goldmine of vintage boards?

Offline Zeal

• * Vendor
    • Zeal Generation Inc.

I see some IBM boards in there. Bound  to be an SSK there, right?  :p

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.

With that many boards, there could be industrial SSKs too!
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline cherpalla

I'm not seeing how this guy has too much money... What? Like 4-5 sets of caps?

You don't need to buy the whole set, you can customize it per key from WASD.
c h e r

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati

With that many boards, there could be industrial SSKs too!
Keycon Africa?
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"