Author Topic: Red Ruby Zinc set  (Read 2161 times)

Offline Quardah

• DeliTech
Red Ruby Zinc set
« on: Fri, 16 May 2014, 08:11:53 »
Homies, need your help in here. Get in and grab a chair if you can.

Has anyone purchased a Zync set from Feng already?

This set http://www.geekkeys.com/mkc-red-metal-zinc-37-keyset/ would look insane on my Poker II, with the standard keycaps on the side.

I would like to know some infos, i'll summon feng in here as well for anyone to get the official answer (cause i totally know you guys want to know as well). Here are the questions :

Will this set makes the keyboard heavier?
Will this set makes the switches easier to press? (Added weight)
Will this set wear out fast or will i be able to keep it a long time? Versus ABS? Versus PBT?
Does this set really looks like the pictures presented? i mean, is it as shiny?

I really like it but i want to know if it's a good choice. Because it's really unstandard but i want it to last at least as long as a standard quality PBT set.

uknowatimsayin'?

Thread started, start typing.

Thanks.
See my blog here : https://delitech.live

Poker II - Brown MX

Ducky One II TKL - Silver MX

TEX Shinobi - Clear MX

Offline divito

Re: Red Ruby Zinc set
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 16 May 2014, 19:46:48 »
This is my QFS (feng's 37-key blank zinc + modifier kersite from Banggood // I also have 3 StarCraft zinc keys on it, not pictured):

Will this set makes the keyboard heavier?

Yes. Definitely not something to take with you places, but it's considerable when compared to picking up my KeyCool with PBT caps. I personally like the heft.

Will this set makes the switches easier to press? (Added weight)

When I first got my zinc keys, they were on blue switches. At that time, I would have said they made pressing the keys more effortless. However, my QFS with greens kind of balances out the weight. They're neither harder nor easier to press in essence. I haven't yet moved them to my KeyCool with clears to see what that might feel like. But ultimately, it'll depend on what your Poker II has for switches.

Will this set wear out fast or will i be able to keep it a long time? Versus ABS? Versus PBT?

There was a reddit post detailing what happened to zinc keys, but honestly, that was simply a case of not caring for their property. I personally went for blank zinc keys, one for the look, and so the chance of corrosion under the coating was less likely in the "legended" portion.

I think under common sense care, they'll last just as long as any other type of keyset.

Does this set really looks like the pictures presented? i mean, is it as shiny?

Can't speak to this, as I have a different set.
Varmilo (MX Grey) KeyCool 87 (MX Clear) Quickfire Stealth (MX Green)

Offline Razor Lotus

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 17 May 2014, 07:12:11 »
i remember seeing a full metal poker in the classifieds not too long ago.

Basically metal everything. Case, alphas, mods. And it weighed quite a hefty bit too

Offline Quardah

• DeliTech
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 20 May 2014, 07:46:54 »
Wow

Nice reply man. Really cool. I'll consider the set.

Thanks.

Poker II - Brown MX

TEX Shinobi - Clear MX

Offline jester_

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 20 May 2014, 13:11:32 »
This is the thread he was talking about. Cared for properly or not, it made me cancel my MassDrop order for gold-tinted MKC caps. I went with DS PBT instead and I'm very very happy with my Filco now.
« Last Edit: Tue, 20 May 2014, 13:13:43 by jester_ »

Offline C5Allroad

• Formerly HUNTERANGEL121
  • Watch out, I post when half asleep.
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 20 May 2014, 20:20:33 »
How does it feel to type on zinc keys?
Looks cool though
[Edit] Was on on my phone and it wouldn't load the whole page. Read the thread now....
« Last Edit: Tue, 20 May 2014, 20:28:37 by HUNTERANGEL121 »

Offline divito

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 21 May 2014, 08:12:30 »
Looks cool though
[Edit] Was on on my phone and it wouldn't load the whole page. Read the thread now....

Found my post:

Nice! But I'm worried they wouldn't feel so good on blues bc it would absorb a lot of the tactility... I would think they would ideally feel best on linear switches. How's it feel on blues??

I actually am debating with myself if I like them more than regular key caps. The tactility is somewhat dampened because of the weight of the key, but the added weight feels good and makes the typing a bit more effortless. The sound is also quite interesting and fun; gone is the higher pitched click, and it is replaced with a more muffled click, followed by the thud of the zinc cap hitting the Das' metal plate.

Normal sound of the default Das keys: Listen (probably easier to right click and save as)

Me typing on the zinc keys: Listen (probably easier to right click and save as)

You can hear the space bar during the zinc typing as a bit of a reference for immediate comparison between the sounds.

Either way though, these are super fun to type on.

Now keep in mind, that was on blue switches. As stated in this thread, on the stiffer switch, the weight is more balanced. It's definitely a solid and substantial feel though. I'd say after all this time, I prefer them to regular key caps.
Varmilo (MX Grey) KeyCool 87 (MX Clear) Quickfire Stealth (MX Green)

Offline C5Allroad

• Formerly HUNTERANGEL121
  • Watch out, I post when half asleep.
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 23 May 2014, 10:17:57 »
Looks cool though

Found my post:

Nice! But I'm worried they wouldn't feel so good on blues bc it would absorb a lot of the tactility... I would think they would ideally feel best on linear switches. How's it feel on blues??

I actually am debating with myself if I like them more than regular key caps. The tactility is somewhat dampened because of the weight of the key, but the added weight feels good and makes the typing a bit more effortless. The sound is also quite interesting and fun; gone is the higher pitched click, and it is replaced with a more muffled click, followed by the thud of the zinc cap hitting the Das' metal plate.

Normal sound of the default Das keys: Listen (probably easier to right click and save as)

Me typing on the zinc keys: Listen (probably easier to right click and save as)

You can hear the space bar during the zinc typing as a bit of a reference for immediate comparison between the sounds.

Either way though, these are super fun to type on.

Now keep in mind, that was on blue switches. As stated in this thread, on the stiffer switch, the weight is more balanced. It's definitely a solid and substantial feel though. I'd say after all this time, I prefer them to regular key caps.
Oh ok thanks! I'll take a listen when I get home after school.

Offline Zombly

• Zombie Enthusiast
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 23 May 2014, 10:44:31 »
I always wondered about these, however it's not my kind of theme, but they do look awesome..
In the process of my custom Zombie board
[WTB MX Zombro's]

Offline Quardah

• DeliTech
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 23 May 2014, 10:56:54 »
I always wondered about these, however it's not my kind of theme, but they do look awesome..

Yeah, the swaglevel is over 9001.

no but really, they would look sharp as crazy.

Poker II - Brown MX

TEX Shinobi - Clear MX