Author Topic: RS84 75% keyboard kit (USA only)  (Read 77073 times)

Offline beestingza

Re: RS84 75% keyboard kit (USA only)
« Reply #100 on: Sun, 01 March 2015, 14:32:59 »
Ok it looks like this is an ANSI groupbuy, except for that one photo. Just to confirm, this is ANSI, correct?

Offline azhdar

• Praise the AZERTY god
  • 65% Enlightened
« Reply #101 on: Sun, 01 March 2015, 14:33:46 »
Ok it looks like this is an ANSI groupbuy, except for that one photo. Just to confirm, this is ANSI, correct?
It can be ansi or ISO
Azerty Propagandiste

Offline beestingza

« Reply #102 on: Sun, 01 March 2015, 14:35:43 »
Ok. The form is a little hard to decipher. I think I need new glasses.  ;)

Offline Ngt

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #103 on: Sun, 01 March 2015, 16:46:04 »
I really want one of these boards before I get an Atomic I've decided.

Can we get a recall for EU people then?

I am in for 2
Still in for one special edition, and Ngt might also get one normal(same shipping adress).

1 more EU bro then pls  :blank:

I'm hesitating atm whether I'll get one and then which one. It will mostly depends on the final price once added all the shipping fees.

Azhdar and I are meeting this Thursday so I'll take a look to his RedScarf and see if I like it. I prefer not to give a definite answer for now.

Silenced Novatouch w/ Hack'd by Geeks

Sold: Ducky Zero Shine (Brown) | Poker 2 (Blue) | HHKB 55g Type-S

Offline azhdar

• Praise the AZERTY god
  • 65% Enlightened
« Reply #104 on: Mon, 02 March 2015, 04:22:31 »
Europeans that are interested pls pm me.
 I talked to Qtan, his prices would be about the same that the one in the Ivan google doc then add to that around 20$ for shipping.
Azerty Propagandiste

Offline Ngt

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #105 on: Mon, 02 March 2015, 06:11:03 »
 I talked to Qtan, his prices would be about the same that the one in the Ivan google doc then add to that around 20$ for shipping.

Is there that MOQ = 5 with Qtan?

Silenced Novatouch w/ Hack'd by Geeks

Sold: Ducky Zero Shine (Brown) | Poker 2 (Blue) | HHKB 55g Type-S

Offline azhdar

• Praise the AZERTY god
  • 65% Enlightened
« Reply #106 on: Mon, 02 March 2015, 07:01:16 »

Is there that MOQ = 5 with Qtan?
no more MOQ
Azerty Propagandiste

Offline hjc1710

« Reply #107 on: Mon, 02 March 2015, 23:35:55 »
Does anyone know if/where I might be able to get a replacement metal case for this PCB? Primarily a purple one.

Has anything ever been made for the Keycool?
Filco Majestouch II (B) | Poker II (BR) | Cherry G80-11900 (BLK) | Das V3 (BR) | RS84 (soon...)

Granite | Skull Squadron | Deep Space | Raindrop R2 | Hyperfuse GMK (soon...)

Offline mp101

« Reply #108 on: Tue, 03 March 2015, 05:07:02 »
HI, I'd be in for 1 (UK)

Grey 5mm kit with Red plate & Black feet.

Offline Ouro

• Laughable
« Reply #109 on: Wed, 04 March 2015, 08:41:42 »
I've been thinking about this keyboard a lot. Kinda unhealthy how enamoured I am with the special edition ~_~

Offline azhdar

• Praise the AZERTY god
  • 65% Enlightened
« Reply #110 on: Thu, 05 March 2015, 16:25:18 »
last call for european buyers, pm me if you're interested.
Azerty Propagandiste

Offline primered6

« Reply #111 on: Fri, 06 March 2015, 06:51:36 »
PM'ed
Another interested party from the UK.
GNU Terry Pratchett.

Offline Ouro

• Laughable
« Reply #112 on: Sun, 08 March 2015, 13:54:12 »
Invoice paid woo

Offline KaboomTheory

• Shrek is love, Shrek is life
« Reply #113 on: Sun, 08 March 2015, 20:58:24 »
I want to order but im not sure what the colors of the bezel and feet look like (except for what i'm guessing is Grey and Silver in the first photos).

If I'm a complete beginner to making a keyboard, would this be hard? All I really need to learn is how to solder, right?

Offline monotagary

• Keycaps > Rent
« Reply #114 on: Sun, 08 March 2015, 21:00:34 »
I want to order but im not sure what the colors of the bezel and feet look like (except for what i'm guessing is Grey and Silver in the first photos).

If I'm a complete beginner to making a keyboard, would this be hard? All I really need to learn is how to solder, right?

Yes I believe it has the electronics pre-soldered, so all you would have to do is solder the switches in place and then assemble the case.

Offline azhdar

• Praise the AZERTY god
  • 65% Enlightened
« Reply #115 on: Mon, 09 March 2015, 01:38:33 »

Yes I believe it has the electronics pre-soldered, so all you would have to do is solder the switches in place and then assemble the case.
can confirm , easy kit , screw the parts, solder the switches put keycaps on , and start typing!
Azerty Propagandiste

Offline kaisiang

« Reply #116 on: Mon, 09 March 2015, 02:35:28 »
So we can still add in LED of our choice for the individual switches, and have some effects on them?

Filco MJ 2 Blue       HHKB Pro 2 White Blank

Offline azhdar

• Praise the AZERTY god
  • 65% Enlightened
« Reply #117 on: Mon, 09 March 2015, 02:37:50 »
So we can still add in LED of our choice for the individual switches, and have some effects on them?

quoting OP:
3mm normal led for in switch backlight, with 3 modes: always on, breathing light, light when type with adjustable speed of  the dynamic lighting.
This are the type of lightning you can use for switch backlight, and you also have RGB lightning underneath the PCB.
Azerty Propagandiste

Offline kaisiang

« Reply #118 on: Mon, 09 March 2015, 02:46:30 »

quoting OP:
3mm normal led for in switch backlight, with 3 modes: always on, breathing light, light when type with adjustable speed of  the dynamic lighting.
This are the type of lightning you can use for switch backlight, and you also have RGB lightning underneath the PCB.

Sounds good, got it from TaoBao, hopefully will reach soon!

Offline hjc1710

« Reply #119 on: Mon, 09 March 2015, 09:16:10 »

quoting OP:
Do you know if we need to supply our own LEDs for the case lighting or do they come in the kit, az?

I assume we need to get our own LEDs, but am not sure which ones I would need to get.
Filco Majestouch II (B) | Poker II (BR) | Cherry G80-11900 (BLK) | Das V3 (BR) | RS84 (soon...)

Offline azhdar

• Praise the AZERTY god
  • 65% Enlightened
« Reply #120 on: Mon, 09 March 2015, 09:21:14 »

quoting OP:
Do you know if we need to supply our own LEDs for the case lighting or do they come in the kit, az?

I assume we need to get our own LEDs, but am not sure which ones I would need to get.
Case led (which are in fact underneath the PCB) are already soldered and ready to light. They should light right away when you plug the PCB in and you control them with a remote. Unless it's different from the RS96.

And then you can solder switches leds.

Azerty Propagandiste

Offline monotagary

• Keycaps > Rent
« Reply #121 on: Mon, 09 March 2015, 12:02:24 »
Since orders are closing tomorrow, and this is basically just a proxy buy, what's a reasonable timeline for us to receive these? I read through the OP and the majority of the thread, but I didn't see anything about it.

Just curious!

Offline KaboomTheory

• Shrek is love, Shrek is life
« Reply #122 on: Mon, 09 March 2015, 13:00:02 »

quoting OP:

Case led (which are in fact underneath the PCB) are already soldered and ready to light. They should light right away when you plug the PCB in and you control them with a remote. Unless it's different from the RS96.

So that means we would have to buy switch LEDs correct?

Offline azhdar

• Praise the AZERTY god
  • 65% Enlightened
« Reply #123 on: Mon, 09 March 2015, 13:00:56 »

quoting OP:

So that means we would have to buy switch LEDs correct?
only if you want it to light up !  :thumb:
Azerty Propagandiste

Offline hjc1710

« Reply #124 on: Mon, 09 March 2015, 15:15:49 »

quoting OP:

Thanks for the help azhdar! Really appreciate it! This beauty is looking better and better by the second, I think I'll be ordering mine when I get home tonight :D.

HYPPPPPPEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline hjc1710

« Reply #125 on: Mon, 09 March 2015, 23:31:54 »
Just placed my order, yay!... but I've never done this before. Is there like an official Getting Started thread for keyboard building? I poked around Making Stuff Together and have gathered that I need PCB Mount switches, do not need diodes, and will need my own stabs. That all correct?

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #126 on: Mon, 09 March 2015, 23:35:41 »
I'm willing to proxy ship for international people
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline kaisiang

« Reply #127 on: Tue, 10 March 2015, 08:13:26 »
Just placed my order, yay!... but I've never done this before. Is there like an official Getting Started thread for keyboard building? I poked around Making Stuff Together and have gathered that I need PCB Mount switches, do not need diodes, and will need my own stabs. That all correct?

First time too, would love a getting started guide!

Offline azhdar

• Praise the AZERTY god
  • 65% Enlightened
« Reply #128 on: Tue, 10 March 2015, 08:19:36 »

you're all correct, add keycaps to that(unless you have mx compatible fingers) and you're good to go.
Azerty Propagandiste

Offline hjc1710

« Reply #129 on: Tue, 10 March 2015, 08:47:45 »

you're all correct, add keycaps to that(unless you have mx compatible fingers) and you're good to go.
Cool, loving all the help! Will either costar or cherry stabs work? And what determines which stabs I can use, cutouts on the PCB? Always wondered that...

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #130 on: Tue, 10 March 2015, 09:09:38 »
Cool, loving all the help! Will either costar or cherry stabs work? And what determines which stabs I can use, cutouts on the PCB? Always wondered that...

Cherry PCB mount stabs ONLY. There are no mounts on the plate for any stabs at all. You'll find that's common in most customs.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline hjc1710

« Reply #131 on: Tue, 10 March 2015, 09:17:06 »

Cherry PCB mount stabs ONLY. There are no mounts on the plate for any stabs at all. You'll find that's common in most customs.

:thumb: You guys are the best! Thanks! Time to comb the Living Soldering thread and pick my starter set (if you have cursory recommendations, I'm all ears :) ).

And based on this comment, I take it costar stabs are more popular with plate mount switches and cherry with PCB mount?

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #132 on: Tue, 10 March 2015, 09:21:26 »
And based on this comment, I take it costar stabs are more popular with plate mount switches and cherry with PCB mount?

Costar stabs are popular on stock keyboards. ;)

If you plan on doing much soldering, the Hakko FX-888D is a good one to start with.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline monotagary

• Keycaps > Rent
« Reply #133 on: Tue, 10 March 2015, 11:49:09 »

If you plan on doing much soldering, the Hakko FX-888D is a good one to start with.

Woah, that is a nice looking iron... I should replace my Weller.

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #134 on: Tue, 10 March 2015, 12:27:46 »
After I finish shipping all the outstanding orders from the Dolch/Stabs buy this week I will know what is leftover if anything. For those that need stabs from this and the other RedScarf kit will get first crack at them.

Offline Ouro

• Laughable
« Reply #135 on: Tue, 10 March 2015, 12:41:28 »
After I finish shipping all the outstanding orders from the Dolch/Stabs buy this week I will know what is leftover if anything. For those that need stabs from this and the other RedScarf kit will get first crack at them.

:cool: Awesome.

Now I just have to figure out what kind of switches to use...

Offline exitfire401

• * Global Moderator
  • The Force is Re/\l
« Reply #136 on: Tue, 10 March 2015, 12:43:42 »
I'm willing to proxy ship for international people

Same. I'm already proxying a couple of RSIII orders.
Boards: Kingsaver Complicated Blue Alps |Sprit 60% Transparent MX Clears in Gateron housings with 62g gold Sprit springs lubed and RGB color shifting LEDs | Ducky Shine Zone MX Black with Blue LEDs | Realforce 10AE Variable Silenced

B/S/T thread: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=55351.0

Past projects: KBT Race 2 L.E.
Past Boards: Ducky Shine 2 | KBT Pure | LZ Aluminum Skin| HHKB | Realforce 23u |

Offline hjc1710

« Reply #137 on: Tue, 10 March 2015, 12:45:56 »

I do intend to pick up soldering more, at the bare minimum I'd like to feel comfortable soldering so I can do switch swaps... but I could see  this spiraling out into a large love for more intense hardware customization :)). Thanks for the recco! I've seen the Hakko mentioned a lot, so I guess I'll get an FX-888D for a starter, thanks! Is there a particular chisel tip that works best for keyboards?

Will you post in this thread when you know if you have leftovers? And I assume we'll fill out another Google Form and get invoiced separately for the stabs, but everything will be shipped together, correct?

The 1.75u shift needs stabs, right? Never dealt with that size before.

Offline hjc1710

« Reply #138 on: Tue, 10 March 2015, 12:54:33 »

I mean... there's that really convenient Gateron group buy going on right now... Could do some clears, or blacks, or try their browns.

Personally, I'll be getting some Gateron browns. If those aren't tactile enough, I'll just make some 62g ergo clears.

Offline azhdar

• Praise the AZERTY god
  • 65% Enlightened
« Reply #139 on: Tue, 10 March 2015, 12:59:05 »
1.75u doesn't need stabs
Azerty Propagandiste

Offline hjc1710

« Reply #140 on: Tue, 10 March 2015, 13:02:41 »
1.75u doesn't need stabs

:), thanks for all your help azhdar. You've been incredibly useful in this whole process and have likely saved me a good deal of money from buying the wrong parts :blank:. And you always respond so quickly!

Also thanks to jd for soldering and stab tips :).

Offline hwood34

• underwater squad
  • * Exalted Elder
  • #1 CL stan
    • Keyboard Illuminati
« Reply #141 on: Tue, 10 March 2015, 13:14:15 »

I mean... there's that really convenient Gateron group buy going on right now... Could do some clears, or blacks, or try their browns.

Personally, I'll be getting some Gateron browns. If those aren't tactile enough, I'll just make some 62g ergo clears.
;)
IV KWK Info Thread & KBK Info Thread IV (out of date)

Old GBs: Gateron Switches (2015) | CF-LX R1 (2015) | CF-LX R2 (2017) | CF-LXXX (2017) | Gen.s Gem Caps (2015)

"Under no pretext should arms and ammunition be surrendered; any attempt to disarm the workers must be frustrated, by force if necessary"

Offline Ouro

• Laughable
« Reply #142 on: Tue, 10 March 2015, 15:53:27 »

The Clears sound like they'll be too soft. I'll probably get 100 blues and 100 blacks. I have a JD40 with Linear Greys and I love the feel I get from them. I suspect the sensation won't be the same on a larger keyboard though.

Have to decide on my led scheme for this too. I'll probably do cyan and magenta so I can swap effortlessly between my GMK dolch, future r4 Miami/Odessa, or the Purple Hangul set from kin.

Keyboard building is so exciting

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #143 on: Tue, 10 March 2015, 15:57:11 »
Is there a particular chisel tip that works best for keyboards?

I use the 1.6mm chisel tip almost exclusively.

http://www.hakkousa.com/detail.asp?PID=4833&Page=1

in memoriam

Offline hjc1710

« Reply #144 on: Tue, 10 March 2015, 17:34:14 »
Is there a particular chisel tip that works best for keyboards?

I use the 1.6mm chisel tip almost exclusively.

http://www.hakkousa.com/detail.asp?PID=4833&Page=1

Awesome! Thanks so much jd! I have some good purchases to make tonight. My wallet... she weeps, but my fingers, they are excited

Have to decide on my led scheme for this too. I'll probably do cyan and magenta so I can swap effortlessly between my GMK dolch, future r4 Miami/Odessa, or the Purple Hangul set from kin.

Keyboard building is so exciting

I mean... you could try out SIP sockets and see if you can really get hot-swappable LEDs. I've heard they're a bit of a ***** to install, but I'll be giving it a shot! And this is all incredibly exciting :D.

Offline ZioExcalibur

« Reply #145 on: Thu, 12 March 2015, 08:28:30 »
Sorry for the late payment. I'm pretty excited for this group buy since it will be my first custom keyboard. So thank you for doing this!

Offline hjc1710

« Reply #146 on: Thu, 12 March 2015, 13:43:45 »
Oh, Ivan, what's the order ETA look like for this? Will it be quickish since it's a proxy of an existing item? Or is there still a GB lead time?

Offline IvanIvanovich

• Mr. Silk Underwear
« Reply #147 on: Thu, 12 March 2015, 13:58:43 »
As far as I know these are not made yet, so I would expect a couple month.

Offline monotagary

• Keycaps > Rent
« Reply #148 on: Thu, 12 March 2015, 15:16:19 »
As far as I know these are not made yet, so I would expect a couple month.

Phew, good to know. I was afraid that I was going to get too many project boards all at the same time. Thanks for the heads up Ivan.

Offline monotagary

• Keycaps > Rent
« Reply #149 on: Thu, 12 March 2015, 15:21:26 »
Double Post :(