Author Topic: Torn Between Mechanical Keyboards.  (Read 2782 times)

Offline SizzlingMonkey

Torn Between Mechanical Keyboards.
« on: Sat, 19 June 2010, 07:35:54 »
Hey guys. I actually just joined, but I've been reading geekhack threads for quite a while now. Anyway, I just joined recently because I'm really torn between keyboard purchases and needed some help from a reputable source (You guys).

Anyway, on to my predicament.

I've been researching Mechanical Keyboards lately. I've fallen in love with the orgasmic sound of blue cherry switches. So, I'm obviously going for one with blue switches, or any suggestions that are similar.
So, I'm torn between a few keyboards.

Firstly, the Das Keyboard Professional. I'm loving the sound and the look, but not the availability. I live in Australia, so it's pretty difficult to get decent tech from overseas. I found a Das on a reseller that's local, but they only have the silent edition, which defeats the whole purpose of me wanting blue cherries.

The second is the Filco Majestouch Tactile Click. This is also on the same reseller, only it's going for 180AUD (Although, the site says the price includes freight). Which I personally thing is a little bit pricey.

Finally, I have the Scorpius M10. Now, I hear problems with build quality and reliability, which puts me off slightly. One of the other big problems is that I really can't find anywhere to buy it, let alone somewhere that ships to Australia.

I know there are plenty of other blue cherry keyboards out there, but the bulk of that which I have searched for either don't ship to Australia, or lack any sort of product buying at all. (Like the TVS gold keyboard) So suggestions are open?

Lastly, I was looking at the Deck keyboards (Deckkeyboards.com), Yeah, I know they aren't blue cherries nor are they cheap either, but they look like they're reliable and at least look classy.

Anyway, any help is really appreciated.

Offline trievalot

« Reply #1 on: Sat, 19 June 2010, 08:10:09 »
welcome aboard fellow aussie!

Ebay.....dude in WA has some filcos availible right now.

Did you want for gaming or typing?
[SIGPIC]

Offline SizzlingMonkey

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 19 June 2010, 08:15:12 »
Really? Awesome, I'll have to look into that.

A bit of both really, I've generally used terrible packaged keyboards my entire life even when gaming. The feel of typing is way more important to me.

Offline trievalot

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 19 June 2010, 08:24:20 »
FOUND IT

http://cgi.ebay.com.au/Filco-Majestouch-Tenkeyless-Tactile-Click-keyboard-/280522400764?cmd=ViewItem&pt=AU_Input_Peripherals&hash=item41507023fc

you cant go too far wrong with this, and you can sell it for the same if you dont like it :)
[SIGPIC]

Offline SizzlingMonkey

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 19 June 2010, 08:30:51 »
eBay gave me an estimate of 20$ shipping.

http://www.auspcmarket.com.au/show_product_info.php?input[product_code]=KE-FKBN87MC-EB&input[category_id]=1838

I just found this reseller, their total price apparently also covers the shipping too, so they're about the same price. Plus, they also have a 104-key with a numpad for the same price as the other one listed on eBay.

Which should I go for?
« Last Edit: Sat, 19 June 2010, 08:34:29 by SizzlingMonkey »

Offline vhaarr

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 19 June 2010, 09:36:05 »
Do you ever use the numpad? If so, maybe get the 104-key one.

If you don't use it, however, get the "tenkeyless" one, since you'll be able to have the mouse a lot closer to the keyboard and won't have to angle your hands so awkwardly.
Let the Holy Handgrenades rain.
Hammering on an old Happy Hacking Pro 2. Still going strong!

Offline SizzlingMonkey

« Reply #6 on: Sat, 19 June 2010, 10:02:53 »
Well, I actually use the Numpad mostly for Gmod. But, I'm not so sure. Hmmm.
Vhaarr, I see that you're using a Happy Hacking Pro 2, which is even less space consuming. Does having less space between your mouse and the keyboard help that much? Like, on a scale of 1 to 10?

Offline vhaarr

« Reply #7 on: Sat, 19 June 2010, 10:09:29 »
It depends how much you use your computer I guess.

I don't know what GMod is, but sounds to me like you don't need the numpad.

Offline SizzlingMonkey

« Reply #8 on: Sat, 19 June 2010, 10:14:32 »
No, not really. I use my computer nearly everyday.

Gmod is a game. A quick google search will satisfy your curiosity.

Yeah, I think I'll go for the Ten-keyless. I can always buy a cheap numpad if I'm that taken by its loss.

So, what's your personal opinion on all the options?

Offline vhaarr

« Reply #9 on: Sat, 19 June 2010, 10:19:13 »
If you are absolutely certain that you like the sound of Blue switches, I would get the Filco without hesitation.

If you are unsure, I would wait until I found a cheapish G80-3000 Cherry board on ebay and try that first.

Offline SizzlingMonkey

« Reply #10 on: Sat, 19 June 2010, 10:42:30 »
Hmmm. I've always been more curious than cautious. I think I'll end up going for it.
Thanks for the help, anyway. Also, how much difference does the closeness of the mouse to the keyboard make?

Offline Rusty Rat

« Reply #11 on: Sat, 19 June 2010, 15:21:04 »
Quote from: SizzlingMonkey;194656
eBay gave me an estimate of 20$ shipping.

http://www.auspcmarket.com.au/show_product_info.php?input[product_code]=KE-FKBN87MC-EB&input[category_id]=1838

I just found this reseller, their total price apparently also covers the shipping too, so they're about the same price. Plus, they also have a 104-key with a numpad for the same price as the other one listed on eBay.

Which should I go for?

When you compare and then convert the US$ prices and then add in freight the Australian prices are reasonable. There is also the added advantage of local warranty something that would either be difficult or non existent with EBay purchases or a direct import from the USA.

I purchased mine from Aust PC and since I live reasonably close collected it. It was very agreeable talking to Michael who understood the importance some people place on keyboards and didn’t think l was some sort of nut when I asked about Blue and Brown Cherries. They also stock DAS and were it not for dreadful freight prices from the USA would probably also carry Unicomp. Nice to find a dealer that understands there is a market for proper keyboards in Australia and understands the differences in the various technologies.

I went for a Filco tenkeyless with Blue Cherries, a happy move by a Model M addict.

Can you imagine the reaction if you went into ‘OfficeWorks’ and started asking about Blue or Brown cherries or BS technology. After you told them you were actually talking about keyboards you would get directed to long lines of rubber domed crap from Microsoft and Logitech. “This is a good one sir, it has 3,000 multi media keys, a built in mini TV and 64 port USB hub”

Offline ecru

« Reply #12 on: Sun, 20 June 2010, 07:13:30 »
Don't be put off from ordering overseas.  Aswell ordering within Australia, I have ordered directly from the US, and via a buying service to the US and Japan.  It takes time, and considering freight costs, the warranty is worthless, but it is usually the only way to get what you are looking for.

Offline trievalot

« Reply #13 on: Sun, 20 June 2010, 08:04:58 »
[SIGPIC]

Offline SizzlingMonkey

« Reply #14 on: Sun, 20 June 2010, 11:04:20 »
Thanks for the offer Triev, I'll think about it. I'm still coining up which model I want.