Author Topic: Dell Model M?  (Read 6674 times)

Offline SigonLegacy

• http://www.sigonlegacy.com
Dell Model M?
« on: Wed, 05 September 2007, 02:57:11 »
I just purchased one of these off of eBay.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=110166692465

Given the price, I'm a bit dubious about how good of quality the keyboard itself is. Is it buckle spring? Is it just a stiff membrane keyboard? For 20 bucks, it's a bit of a gamble. YYEUG is also something that's questionable. I can't seem to find any information on it anywhere on the Internet and they have the listing for that particular model twice.

If it is indeed buckle spring, I'll be a very happy man. If not... well, anyone want a black Dell keyboard?  8)

Offline iMav

• geekhack creator/founder
  • "Τα εργαλεία σας είναι σημαντικά."
Dell Model M?
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 05 September 2007, 03:07:53 »
If anything, I'm guessing it has Alps mechanical keyswitches like this model.

Definitely let us know when you receive it!

Offline SigonLegacy

Dell Model M?
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 05 September 2007, 03:13:53 »
Oooh, Alps switches... That'd be an added bonus! Still, for that price, I'm extremely dubious. A bit of a shame that you can't tell what's on the inside until you pop it open! Glad I bought that deep 7/32" socket.

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
Dell Model M?
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 05 September 2007, 03:31:52 »
I have seen some old Dells with buckling springs and other with Alps. Just pop a keycap off and you'll know. Alps sliders have "ALPS" printed on the lower edge of the top of the switch.

As for the price, you never know with Ebay. Sometimes people just want to get rid of it and they really don't care about the keyboard because it doesn't have multimedia keys. That is how my brother is, he threw away his Model Ms because he bought an HP that came with a *nicer* keyboard, which we would think sucks #@$&.

Let me say one more thing about pulling the keycaps off - PICTURES!

Offline iMav

Dell Model M?
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 05 September 2007, 04:01:53 »
Quote from: SigonLegacy
Oooh, Alps switches... That'd be an added bonus! Still, for that price, I'm extremely dubious. A bit of a shame that you can't tell what's on the inside until you pop it open! Glad I bought that deep 7/32" socket.

It looks pretty much exactly like the picture in the link I provided above (except for the color, that is).  I would say there is a high probability that you will get either buckling springs or Alps keyswitches.

BTW, I like the new avatar.

Offline SigonLegacy

Dell Model M?
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 06 September 2007, 17:56:59 »
Well, I just got the Dell keyboard in and it's surprisingly good quality. It's definately been used quite a bit since a lot of the letters have been worn almost completely off. After popping the keyboard open, it definately uses individual key switches. What confuses me a tad is the internals are far smaller in dimension than the casing itself. I forsee a possible mod to save wasted space. The actual PCB is protected by two metal shield plates, so it shouldn't be difficult to remove the casing while having a minumum of structure compromised.

Heck, I'm typing this on the new one as we speak! I rather like it. Not as stiff as my Model M, which I love for typing text, but not as soft as my gaming keyboard, which only needs a light touch. I think I may have found a replacement for the gaming keyboard.

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
Dell Model M?
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 06 September 2007, 18:38:00 »
Post pictures of the keyboard with a key cap popped off, close up on the switch. I'm sure I am not the only one here interested in seeing it.

Offline SigonLegacy

Dell Model M?
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 06 September 2007, 18:47:09 »
Post pictures of the keyboard with a key cap popped off, close up on the switch. I'm sure I am not the only one here interested in seeing it.

Actually, I was working on doing so right after I posted!

Got two good pics right there! You can see all the other pictures at my website.

Offline iMav

Dell Model M?
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 06 September 2007, 18:50:59 »
We have Alps sliders ladies and gentlemen!  :)

Congrats.

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
Dell Model M?
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 06 September 2007, 19:00:13 »
Yes we do have Alps sliders, nice. You'll be pleased with it I am sure.

I don't know if the color means anything with Alps, but I have one keyboard with black slides and one with peach color slides. I like the action on the peach looking slides better, but the one with black slides has wierd shaped keys so that may play a part in it.

Offline iMav

Dell Model M?
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 06 September 2007, 19:16:21 »
Here's the info I have.

Alps slider switches:
 - Audible click feel (blue or white-colored sliders)
 - Tactile feel (orange, black, or pink-colored sliders)
 - Linear feel (yellow, green. or gray-colored sliders)

Offline SigonLegacy

Dell Model M?
« Reply #11 on: Thu, 06 September 2007, 19:31:48 »
So what would be the tangible difference between tactile and linear? I guess I just don't know what linear feels like.

Offline iMav

Dell Model M?
« Reply #12 on: Thu, 06 September 2007, 20:25:09 »
Quote from: SigonLegacy
So what would be the tangible difference between tactile and linear? I guess I just don't know what linear feels like.

From ErgoCanada's website:

Linear Keyswitches are ones where there is no indication of when you have actuated the key (i.e. generated the keystroke) and have constant force through the entire key travel distance.

Light Tactile Keyswitches are mechanical keyswitches which have a low level of tactility and provide a small amount of click feedback (both audible and force) when the keystroke is generated - this tactility is often so slight that people will mistake the keyswitch for a linear keyswitch. These light tactile keyswitches are ideal as they provide tactile feedback without generating a sensation that you are 'breaking through' when generating a keystroke.

Tactile Keyswitches are mechanical keyswitches which have a normal level of tactility and provide a normal amount of click feedback (both audible and force) when the keystroke is generated - this tactility is apparent to any user but is no harder to press - although it can generate that sensation. These tactile keyswitches are very popular and a good alternative to the light tactile keyswitch as they provide conscious tactile feedback and are still low in force.

High Audible Tactile Keyswitches feature a much louder 'click' sound, but do not typically require any more force to actuate.

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
Dell Model M?
« Reply #13 on: Thu, 06 September 2007, 20:26:43 »
Quote from: iMav
Here's the info I have.

Alps slider switches:
 - Audible click feel (blue or white-colored sliders)
 - Tactile feel (orange, black, or pink-colored sliders)
 - Linear feel (yellow, green. or gray-colored sliders)

I just found that to, but I also saw Cream Sliders as tactile as well.

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
Dell Model M?
« Reply #14 on: Thu, 06 September 2007, 20:29:26 »
So I must have black sliders on one and pink or orange sliders on the one I'm using now. Tactile, baby, no wonder I like them.

Offline iMav

Dell Model M?
« Reply #15 on: Thu, 06 September 2007, 20:29:42 »
Quote from: xsphat
I just found that to, but I also saw Cream Sliders as tactile as well.

We definitely need a companion wiki site to keep all this info.  :)

Offline iMav

Dell Model M?
« Reply #16 on: Fri, 07 September 2007, 01:41:51 »

Offline roadrun72

Same keyboard; defective alps slider?
« Reply #17 on: Thu, 24 January 2008, 20:47:49 »
I just bought the same keyboard, from the same buyer, on eBay. It's in GREAT condition, but the C key doesn't work. Nothing appears in Notepad when I push it. Everything obvious checks out -- PS/2 connector pins are fine, key action is as it should be, no dirt, nothing stuck under the keycap..

What could it be? How would I go about fixing a defective alps slider? Can I somehow remove it without unsoldering it? I would have no problem replacing it with the slider from the Pause|Break key, for example.

Thanks, guys.

Offline iMav

Dell Model M?
« Reply #18 on: Thu, 24 January 2008, 21:17:29 »
Quote from: roadrun72;2588
I just bought the same keyboard, from the same buyer, on eBay. It's in GREAT condition, but the C key doesn't work. Nothing appears in Notepad when I push it. Everything obvious checks out -- PS/2 connector pins are fine, key action is as it should be, no dirt, nothing stuck under the keycap..

What could it be? How would I go about fixing a defective alps slider? Can I somehow remove it without unsoldering it? I would have no problem replacing it with the slider from the Pause|Break key, for example.

Thanks, guys.

How handy are you with a multimeter?  I'd check the solder connections and then check continuity through the switch as it is depressed.  Barring a cold solder connection (or something similar, you like have a bad switch.  I would think it would pretty easy to swap it with another switch on the board...but you will most definitely have to de-solder/solder.

Offline fkeidjn

Dell Model M?
« Reply #19 on: Thu, 24 January 2008, 22:23:49 »
You might want to take this opportunity to dissect the dead keyswitch and so on...
Kinesis Keypad - Filco FKBN104M/EB - Unitek space-saver - Acer 6511-TW - Apple Extended II (M3501) - Scorpius M10 - Cherry G80-1800, AT - SGI Granite - vintage Fujitsu - IBM Model M, 101 and mini - Model F, 84-key AT - Dell AT101W - Northgate 101

Offline roadrun72

Dell Model M?
« Reply #20 on: Fri, 25 January 2008, 13:54:30 »
Wow, I've never seen so much about Alps switches in one place.

I soldered in the switch from the Pause|Break key and I'm in business -- I'll have to inspect that faulty switch later.

Thanks for the help.