Author Topic: [IC] MOTOKO 90s Anime Retro Techno Deskmat (With Prototype)  (Read 2684 times)

Offline reccatyo

[IC] MOTOKO 90s Anime Retro Techno Deskmat (With Prototype)
« on: Wed, 12 July 2023, 05:15:50 »

Hello!

Do you remember the first time you watched a 90s anime? How it made you feel? How it inspired you? How it changed your life? We do. And we want to share that feeling with you. That’s why we created Motoko, the deskmat brand that pays tribute to 90s anime. Our deskmats are more than just deskmats. They’re pieces of art, history, and culture.

We are Motoko, a new brand created by two high school friends who share a passion for keyboards and anime. We are excited to introduce our first product, a deskmat that combines our love for both and it's inspired by the aesthetic and nostalgia of 90s anime.

The main theme of our brand is 90s futuristic techno inspired by blade runner or cyberpunk. Why 90s anime? because we grew up in the 90s and want to relive those moments again.

Specification:
900 x 400 x 4 mm
Water Proof
Edge stitches

MOTOKO #001
Prototype
This is from a local vendor, final quality should be better and more accurate
On pic: XD84 & Maxkey SA Miami Night

MOTOKO #001 BW

MOTOKOGRAM NIGHT

MOTOKOGRAM LIGHT

MOTOKOGRAM BOW

MOTOKOGRAM WOB

We are currently looking for feedback and interest on this first deskmat design before we proceed to the production stage. If you like this design and would like to see it become a reality, please fill out this Google form:
IC FORM: CLICK HERE

Thank you for your time and support! Please let us know what you think of this deskmat in the comments below.
We appreciate any constructive criticism and suggestions.

Give us a follow at IG:
MOTOKO.TECHNOCRUSH

Visit the artist portfolio at behance:
Artist Portfolio

Changelog:
07/13 Include artist portfolio

« Last Edit: Thu, 13 July 2023, 00:03:50 by reccatyo »

Offline tactilesbad

Re: [IC] MOTOKO 90s Anime Retro Techno Deskmat (With Prototype)
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 12 July 2023, 05:50:43 »
#001 and motokogram night look absolutely beatutiful

preview for BOW is 404 tho

Offline TyPo.mk

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 12 July 2023, 07:18:50 »
Great artwork but nothing about it reminds of 90s anime. Kinda lacks the distinct style that dragon ball/sailor moon/ evangalion/ etc had but maybe you’re basing it on something else idk

Offline lush_bunny

• TBR Prime | 7V | Pandora | Kaze
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 12 July 2023, 10:59:26 »
What a beautiful deskmat. This shall go nicely with my Daki-Mat.

Offline aethered

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 12 July 2023, 17:52:12 »
Is the matoko artwork AI generated? It certainly has that look to it.

Offline aicyborg

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 12 July 2023, 19:21:19 »
This is very likely using an AI generated image, because it has that same style to the character depicted as a lot of AI images do. If in the unlikely event it's not AI generated, your artist has (deliberately) chosen to produce a piece in this style. I'll assume it is AI generated for the sake of making my point. If not illegal, it's certainly immoral/unethical unless you can prove you own all of the other art used by the model to generate this.

Either way you're treading on dangerous ground and personally I hope the community rejects this. Big thumbs down.

Offline reccatyo

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 12 July 2023, 23:23:58 »
Great artwork but nothing about it reminds of 90s anime. Kinda lacks the distinct style that dragon ball/sailor moon/ evangalion/ etc had but maybe you’re basing it on something else idk

Yes dragon ball/sailor moon/eva were an era defining anime of the 90s. We watched dragon ball/sailor moon/eva sacriligously when we grew up in the 90s but there are lots of anime from the 90s-early 2000s which we think are just as cool but don't get too much spotlight like those animes such as patlabor, akira, Serial Experiment Lain, Jin Roh, ghost in the shell, etc mostly a dark and more mature tone anime with a realistic approach. I guess because my partner also liked to draw realistic girls since our days in high school.  ;D

#001 and motokogram night look absolutely beatutiful

preview for BOW is 404 tho

Thank you for the love. We have some problem for the BOW, it always gets deleted by imgur after a few minutes after uploading, we thought it is because the pink tone looks like skin hence imgur flagged it as nsfw for showing too much skin. We'll try to fix the issue asap.

What a beautiful deskmat. This shall go nicely with my Daki-Mat.

Thank you. We also love Daki-Mat  ;)

Offline reccatyo

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 12 July 2023, 23:59:52 »
Is the matoko artwork AI generated? It certainly has that look to it.

Hi, I can confirm from the artist that for the background we used the help of AI since you can see the random text and hieroglyphics, but for the Motoko character is hand drawn digitally.  ;)

This is very likely using an AI generated image, because it has that same style to the character depicted as a lot of AI images do. If in the unlikely event it's not AI generated, your artist has (deliberately) chosen to produce a piece in this style. I'll assume it is AI generated for the sake of making my point. If not illegal, it's certainly immoral/unethical unless you can prove you own all of the other art used by the model to generate this.

Either way you're treading on dangerous ground and personally I hope the community rejects this. Big thumbs down.

Hi aicyborg, I can see how you can come up with the opinion, but you have to remember that those AI image are also based on art that are drawn by real people. Yes we used the help of AI for the background but the Motoko character is hand drawn digitally and may have similarities in some art style that become a base for an AI model.

I'm just gonna drop the artist portfolio, and you can judge yourself. I've known him for 15+ years and he doesn't stick into one particular style and very versatile but mostly he draws towards a more realistic style. Some of his works may not be uploaded due to NDA with the clients.

https://www.behance.net/hazarts

Offline aicyborg

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 13 July 2023, 15:32:04 »
Hi aicyborg, I can see how you can come up with the opinion, but you have to remember that those AI image are also based on art that are drawn by real people. Yes we used the help of AI for the background but the Motoko character is hand drawn digitally and may have similarities in some art style that become a base for an AI model.

I'm just gonna drop the artist portfolio, and you can judge yourself. I've known him for 15+ years and he doesn't stick into one particular style and very versatile but mostly he draws towards a more realistic style. Some of his works may not be uploaded due to NDA with the clients.

https://www.behance.net/hazarts

I'm not talking about the background, I'm specifically referring to the character on this mat. This is what an anime-style character looks like in their style. Either you or the artist used AI tools, because the artwork in use here does not look like anything on their Behance. If it was them and not you, they played you. If it was you, you're playing us.

I'll back away from this point now because I don't think it's productive to pursue. Either way, I'm hard avoiding this and encourage others to do the same.