Author Topic: [IC] Topre keycaps  (Read 40873 times)

Offline cmd

Re: [IC] Topre keycaps
« Reply #50 on: Mon, 29 June 2020, 10:57:45 »
problem is exactly about hitting MOQ unfortunately...

If we have to produce one kit for leopold, one for RF and one for HHKB (RF and HHKB could be grouped but this would be a lot of keys and HHKB users shouldn't pay for all those keys imo), that's a lot of options, and this is only one colorway. I believed it made more sense to group keycaps by form factor rather than brand, to avoid producing more keys (and make the kits more expensive an potentially fail reaching MOQ).

Of course it's not too late to change my mind and I'd welcome constructive criticism. My goal is for everyone to be able to get new keycaps regardless of the keyboard they are using.

Here is an album if anyone else wants to join the discussion: https://imgur.com/a/1ysI1tk

If you want to have separate kits I think that is acceptable, I was more confused as to why RF and Leopold would be 'met in the middle' if the HHKB and RF use the same legend font. Wouldn't this just create more MOQ problems when all of them could be 'OEM' (since that is the vast majority)?

I didn't see it mentioned but are blank colored keycaps going to be offered?

Again, this is just my 2 cents. Do not mean to offend the work that you have put into this.

Offline fkcaps

• FKcaps
« Reply #51 on: Mon, 29 June 2020, 12:11:36 »
problem is exactly about hitting MOQ unfortunately...

If we have to produce one kit for leopold, one for RF and one for HHKB (RF and HHKB could be grouped but this would be a lot of keys and HHKB users shouldn't pay for all those keys imo), that's a lot of options, and this is only one colorway. I believed it made more sense to group keycaps by form factor rather than brand, to avoid producing more keys (and make the kits more expensive an potentially fail reaching MOQ).

Of course it's not too late to change my mind and I'd welcome constructive criticism. My goal is for everyone to be able to get new keycaps regardless of the keyboard they are using.

Here is an album if anyone else wants to join the discussion: https://imgur.com/a/1ysI1tk

If you want to have separate kits I think that is acceptable, I was more confused as to why RF and Leopold would be 'met in the middle' if the HHKB and RF use the same legend font. Wouldn't this just create more MOQ problems when all of them could be 'OEM' (since that is the vast majority)?

I didn't see it mentioned but are blank colored keycaps going to be offered?

Again, this is just my 2 cents. Do not mean to offend the work that you have put into this.

RF and HHKB are many but Leopold aren't to be ignored, there are people using them! That being said, I'll take into account your comment when preparing the designs (which is going to be a real challenge, as it'll be impossible to make everyone happy unfortunately).

Blanks will probably be offered if there is enough demand. I'll also include it in the upcoming design survey.

No offense taken I appreciate the comments, thank you for this feedback!

Offline noorejji

« Reply #52 on: Mon, 29 June 2020, 12:49:35 »
I do see it a bit strange not to have 7u spacebar in the mods kit; maybe too few owners? Regarding the 7u bar, I see someone has already added a picture of its underside, but I'll note that _AFAIK_ 86U only uses the innermost stab positions - i.e. 6u spacing. (Why? Because Topre.)

Regarding the font, please don't use anything resembling the Leopold typeface - it's garbage. That's coming from a FC660C owner.

I would suggest to make everything as standard as possible. Topre is weird, and trying to cover all bases and please everyone will just make it even more weird. Personally I would prefer everything to look like Cherry, but that's just me. I'll give you props for attempting this cursed niche of a niche.

Offline fkcaps

• FKcaps
« Reply #53 on: Mon, 29 June 2020, 12:57:03 »
I do see it a bit strange not to have 7u spacebar in the mods kit; maybe too few owners? Regarding the 7u bar, I see someone has already added a picture of its underside, but I'll note that _AFAIK_ 86U only uses the innermost stab positions - i.e. 6u spacing. (Why? Because Topre.)

Regarding the font, please don't use anything resembling the Leopold typeface - it's garbage. That's coming from a FC660C owner.

I would suggest to make everything as standard as possible. Topre is weird, and trying to cover all bases and please everyone will just make it even more weird. Personally I would prefer everything to look like Cherry, but that's just me. I'll give you props for attempting this cursed niche of a niche.

Yes, to my knowledge only 86u uses 7u, that's why it didn't make it to the mods kit. That last "compability kit" is basically all the less common layouts (including ISO and JIS) that will have to pool together to exist... It didn't seem fair to have that (expensive) spacebar included in the mods kit given the low demand there has been for 86u in the IC survey.

Noted about the font, your opinion matters and while I tend to agree with you, some people may like it nonetheless. I hope we manage to come up with a design that pleases most!

Thanks for the comments and the nice words :)

Offline Auxo

• Formerly CJD_Anthony
« Reply #54 on: Mon, 29 June 2020, 19:34:28 »

Yes, to my knowledge only 86u uses 7u, that's why it didn't make it to the mods kit. That last "compability kit" is basically all the less common layouts (including ISO and JIS) that will have to pool together to exist... It didn't seem fair to have that (expensive) spacebar included in the mods kit given the low demand there has been for 86u in the IC survey.

Noted about the font, your opinion matters and while I tend to agree with you, some people may like it nonetheless. I hope we manage to come up with a design that pleases most!

Thanks for the comments and the nice words :)

86u and 101u are the only ones that require a 7u  :)

**edit SE0200 also

I would kill for 7u spacebars as I don't use standard for anything other than HHKB  :confused:
« Last Edit: Mon, 29 June 2020, 19:38:46 by Auxo »
UNREALFORCE TKL | KMAC Happy | LSJ Ares | LZ CLS h | NIX Sofia | Noxary X60 | OTD 356 Mini | PFU Limited HHKB Pro 2 (Black) | PFU Limited HHKB Pro 2 Type-S | PFU Limited HHKB JP Type-S | SINGA x TGR Unikorn | TGR 60% | Weaston & nachie GSKT-00 |
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | MIRA SE | TGR Alice | Southpaw Fullsize (pending shipping) | Daily driver: TGR Alice
Collection: Salamander PC, Keycult No1(OG) Salamander TKL, M60A, THE60, Jane V2, LZ MP, LZ GH V2, KC 1/60, OTD 456GT. Kepler, Think 6.5 Brass, Think 6.5 PC, T60, The Raine, F77, E7-V1 SE
Topre Realforce 87U 55g | Corsair K70 w/ MX Browns | Unicomp Ultra Classic
Poker 2 | LZ CE | Leopold FC700R | KMAC 1.2 | EXE | GON NS87 | GON Nerd TKL | Duck Poker | Duck Orion | Realforce 87u 55g | OTD 456GT | LZ B7 | OTD 360C | Ducky G2 Pro | Apple Extended | Apple M0116 | Apple M0116 | Cherry G80-1220HAD | Duck Octagon | HHKB Pro 2 | Duck Unicorn | LZ B8 | LZ RE | ENVKX | OTD 456GT | LZ FE | HHKB Type S | TX1800| Duck Orion V2 | LZ FE | KPad | KMAC Happy | ENVKX | LZ RV | KMAC 2 | Whale | Dolphin | EM7 | TGR Jane | VE.A | DK Saver | Matrix 10xv1.0 | Whale | HHKB BT | Dolphin v2 | EM7 v2 | SSK | SSK (Blue Label) | LZ SQ | Duck Octagon v2 | TX84 | GON Mobik | TX-CP | LZ Ergo2 | KMAC Happy HHKB | TGR 910 | TGR Tris | Matrix 8xv1.2 | KMAC Mini | Mira | Fjell | 356mini | Dolphin GH | EM7 GH | TARO EXENT | Masterkey Pro L Crysta l OTD Koala | Duck Viper | Keycult no.1 | 356mini | 356pad | Matrix 8xv2.0 | 420cl | Matrix 8xv1.0 | Whale Special | Poly Dolphin | Keycult No.2 | FMJ80 | Singa R2 Quickfire Pro | TADA 68 | Novatouch | Whitefox | Octagon v1 | Blackbird | HHKB Pro 2 | KBD75 | VE.A | X60 | Canoe | HHKB Pro 1 | FJELL | Revo One | ALPS64 | Lightsaver v3 | IBM 5140 WKL | Realforce 87u | MIRA SE | Duck Poker | Canoe | Moon | Weaven | M65-A | EXENT | Wooden Planck | Tokyo60| Viper v1 | E6-v2 | IBM SSK | CA66 | TX-CP | SINGA | TGR Alice | FJELL R2 | Klippe | JER-A06 | GSKT-00 | M60-A | Realforce 84u | AL1 | Keycult No. 1 | SaiB-CP | G81-3077SAU | DC60 | Realforce 84ub | TMO50 | G80-1800 | Leaf 80 | LZ GH-v2 | T60 | LZ MP | KMAC Happy | TGR-910RE (Al) | TGR-910RE (PC) | SKB60 | UNIKORN | TGR Jane v2 | Xeno

Offline Axariel

« Reply #55 on: Mon, 29 June 2020, 20:25:39 »
7u space bars are pretty much necessary. Keycaps for the Realforce 101 need an upgrade badly. If I can get JP alphas and texts I will be super happy.

Offline madhias

• BS TORPE
    • Madhias' Flickr
« Reply #56 on: Sat, 04 July 2020, 00:18:01 »
Call me interested, for a 87U.
... ...

Offline izroll

« Reply #57 on: Sat, 04 July 2020, 12:01:43 »
+1 for dolch or oblivion inspired Topre caps.

Offline Rynxe

• Braccas Meas Vescimini
« Reply #58 on: Sat, 04 July 2020, 21:10:16 »
+1 for dolch or oblivion inspired Topre caps.

I second this, in Cherry profile  ;D

Offline Denker88

« Reply #59 on: Sat, 04 July 2020, 22:39:27 »
KAT-profile!

Offline mrvco

« Reply #60 on: Thu, 09 July 2020, 16:45:37 »
I like to mix and match alphas and modifiers on my HHKB boards (one white, one black), so OEM profile (or whatever stock is called) would be my first preference.  I typically prefer blank or front-side printed alphas.  Depending upon the colorway, I'd probably still order a hi-pro set out of curiosity.

edit: And I expect this would probably be far too limiting, but I've always wanted a set of HHKB keycaps w/ the default Fn layer front-side printed, but blank otherwise.
« Last Edit: Thu, 23 July 2020, 07:26:20 by mrvco »

Offline Suavity

• Smile more! 🙂
« Reply #61 on: Fri, 10 July 2020, 00:34:46 »
Interested in this! Submitted the IC form.  ;D

Gradient Colored Blanks in any profile (but OEM) would be fine with me. HHKB & 87U user here.

Offline Capt Shemp

« Reply #62 on: Fri, 10 July 2020, 21:39:49 »
Really looking for some nice keycaps... I have couple HHKB Professionals and a few more RealForce 86u and I could go for a set of keys or two...

Offline arninja21

« Reply #63 on: Mon, 13 July 2020, 12:19:17 »
Hipro please

Offline dgneo

• Supervillain
  • * Curator
« Reply #64 on: Mon, 13 July 2020, 12:42:43 »
+1 oem

hipro is an abomination

Offline sleepy

« Reply #65 on: Mon, 13 July 2020, 12:55:09 »
+1 for oem

Offline lolkey

« Reply #66 on: Wed, 15 July 2020, 18:37:15 »
+1 for a stepped caps lock PLEASE
filco ninja mj2 tkl · mx brown · black case · blank black pbt
varmilo va87mr tkl · gateron red · black case · dye sub pbt ❤
vortex pok3r rgb · mx silent · white case · blank xda pbt

Offline dom

• XOXO
« Reply #67 on: Fri, 24 July 2020, 08:59:49 »
+1 for OEM  ;D (HHKB sets).

Not a fan of the Hi/SA profile at all.

Offline Oni74

« Reply #68 on: Fri, 24 July 2020, 16:15:11 »
Really curious to see current survey results - @OP can you perhaps publish it?

Offline 4Holo

« Reply #69 on: Sun, 26 July 2020, 21:49:23 »
any news on this

Offline fkcaps

• FKcaps
« Reply #70 on: Sun, 26 July 2020, 21:55:07 »
I have had a tough time at my job the last couple months but things have gone back to normal a few weeks ago so I am now actively working on it. 3D files are in the works, design will come next. Still some way to go but not giving up!

Offline 4Holo

« Reply #71 on: Sun, 26 July 2020, 22:16:12 »
I have had a tough time at my job the last couple months but things have gone back to normal a few weeks ago so I am now actively working on it. 3D files are in the works, design will come next. Still some way to go but not giving up!

Thank you  so much!
how many colors are we expecting to have?

Offline fkcaps

• FKcaps
« Reply #72 on: Sun, 26 July 2020, 22:19:29 »
how many colors are we expecting to have?

MOQ is quite high for quality dye sub unfortunately so I'd guess 2, and that's because I really want to offer a choice... and if we get enough orders we could "unlock" a 3rd color. I haven't worked on the numbers yet but that's the plan I'd like to go by, I'll know more by the next update hopefully!

Offline Rynxe

• Braccas Meas Vescimini
« Reply #73 on: Tue, 04 August 2020, 07:37:53 »

Stay strong my dude!

Offline nalgene

« Reply #74 on: Sun, 09 August 2020, 23:57:27 »
IC form submitted. Would be in for basically anything honestly. FC660C owner but even just extra alphas would be nice.

Offline tacomn

« Reply #75 on: Tue, 27 October 2020, 23:57:12 »
Would like to buy for my fc660c black. Even just the alphas I would be interested. Is this still in the works?

Offline fkcaps

• FKcaps
« Reply #76 on: Wed, 28 October 2020, 00:54:53 »
Sorry for the lack of updates I have been chasing time lately... The project is still actively in the works, I have found a competent and affordable dye sub manufacturer, the keycap factory has received a Realforce keyboard (Topre isn't common in China), kits have been set (there will be a kit with alphas only), so we are about to produce a test mold before doing all of them, just to check stuff before going GB. Thanks for your patience, sorry for the wait, and YES this is happening!

Regarding design and colors I am now working with a great designer, and the dye sub manu has pretty low MOQ so we may expect to have at least a couple options from the start!

Offline tacomn

« Reply #77 on: Wed, 28 October 2020, 01:32:47 »
Great to hear so it will only be for realforce and not something like fc660c? What will the quality be of these caps you figure compared to stock topre? Always hear that most non stock caps happen to be of worse comparative quality.

Offline fkcaps

• FKcaps
« Reply #78 on: Wed, 28 October 2020, 01:38:30 »
Not at all, they just needed original switches to test on. Here are the kit details that were sent via the last email update (btw to subscribe to email updates, just fill in the IC form).

We are aiming for quality (afaik most keycap clones so far have been poorly designed), that is 1.5mm thick PBT and "good" dye sub (ie. no bleeding, aligned legends and good looking colors). Stock keycaps are great quality so it's definitely a challenge, but we are on our way to deliver and you'll be the judge!

Offline noorejji

« Reply #79 on: Wed, 28 October 2020, 09:21:42 »
We are aiming for quality (afaik most keycap clones so far have been poorly designed), that is 1.5mm thick PBT and "good" dye sub (ie. no bleeding, aligned legends and good looking colors).
Good to hear. My main issue with the Kbdfans keycaps were skewed mounts making them misaligned, so that might be something to watch out for.

Offline RickVigorous

« Reply #80 on: Sun, 01 November 2020, 09:02:54 »
form completed - great to hear this is still in the works!

Offline Techichi

« Reply #81 on: Sun, 01 November 2020, 09:38:20 »
Definitely interested. IC form filled.

Offline iamtienng

« Reply #82 on: Sun, 01 November 2020, 10:18:18 »
Yeah I need to replace keycaps for my HHKB

Offline Auxo

• Formerly CJD_Anthony
« Reply #83 on: Sun, 01 November 2020, 11:43:29 »
yes
UNREALFORCE TKL | KMAC Happy | LSJ Ares | LZ CLS h | NIX Sofia | Noxary X60 | OTD 356 Mini | PFU Limited HHKB Pro 2 (Black) | PFU Limited HHKB Pro 2 Type-S | PFU Limited HHKB JP Type-S | SINGA x TGR Unikorn | TGR 60% | Weaston & nachie GSKT-00 |
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | MIRA SE | TGR Alice | Southpaw Fullsize (pending shipping) | Daily driver: TGR Alice
Collection: Salamander PC, Keycult No1(OG) Salamander TKL, M60A, THE60, Jane V2, LZ MP, LZ GH V2, KC 1/60, OTD 456GT. Kepler, Think 6.5 Brass, Think 6.5 PC, T60, The Raine, F77, E7-V1 SE
Poker 2 | LZ CE | Leopold FC700R | KMAC 1.2 | EXE | GON NS87 | GON Nerd TKL | Duck Poker | Duck Orion | Realforce 87u 55g | OTD 456GT | LZ B7 | OTD 360C | Ducky G2 Pro | Apple Extended | Apple M0116 | Apple M0116 | Cherry G80-1220HAD | Duck Octagon | HHKB Pro 2 | Duck Unicorn | LZ B8 | LZ RE | ENVKX | OTD 456GT | LZ FE | HHKB Type S | TX1800| Duck Orion V2 | LZ FE | KPad | KMAC Happy | ENVKX | LZ RV | KMAC 2 | Whale | Dolphin | EM7 | TGR Jane | VE.A | DK Saver | Matrix 10xv1.0 | Whale | HHKB BT | Dolphin v2 | EM7 v2 | SSK | SSK (Blue Label) | LZ SQ | Duck Octagon v2 | TX84 | GON Mobik | TX-CP | LZ Ergo2 | KMAC Happy HHKB | TGR 910 | TGR Tris | Matrix 8xv1.2 | KMAC Mini | Mira | Fjell | 356mini | Dolphin GH | EM7 GH | TARO EXENT | Masterkey Pro L Crysta l OTD Koala | Duck Viper | Keycult no.1 | 356mini | 356pad | Matrix 8xv2.0 | 420cl | Matrix 8xv1.0 | Whale Special | Poly Dolphin | Keycult No.2 | FMJ80 | Singa R2 Quickfire Pro | TADA 68 | Novatouch | Whitefox | Octagon v1 | Blackbird | HHKB Pro 2 | KBD75 | VE.A | X60 | Canoe | HHKB Pro 1 | FJELL | Revo One | ALPS64 | Lightsaver v3 | IBM 5140 WKL | Realforce 87u | MIRA SE | Duck Poker | Canoe | Moon | Weaven | M65-A | EXENT | Wooden Planck | Tokyo60| Viper v1 | E6-v2 | IBM SSK | CA66 | TX-CP | SINGA | TGR Alice | FJELL R2 | Klippe | JER-A06 | GSKT-00 | M60-A | Realforce 84u | AL1 | Keycult No. 1 | SaiB-CP | G81-3077SAU | DC60 | Realforce 84ub | TMO50 | G80-1800 | Leaf 80 | LZ GH-v2 | T60 | LZ MP | KMAC Happy | TGR-910RE (Al) | TGR-910RE (PC) | SKB60 | UNIKORN | TGR Jane v2 | Xeno

Offline threepscoot

« Reply #84 on: Sun, 01 November 2020, 17:17:27 »
Yes absolutely

Sent from my GM1913 using Tapatalk

Offline AristideTorchia

« Reply #85 on: Thu, 05 November 2020, 11:13:01 »
Does anyone have any idea as to when this is going to happen? It's been a long while now...

And on the visual point, I'd put it in the form already but never hurts to repeat: All the topre keys I've seen, be it original realforce or custom ones, are ugly as f...

Please do produce something that is actually aesthetically pleasing, for the first time in the history of topre caps.

Here's my HHKB with original Brother typewriter hi-pros transplanted for reference of what I'd call beautiful key design:
https://www.reddit.com/r/HHKB/comments/iazi9d/hhkb_hybrid_vintage_70ies_typewriter_caps/

« Reply #86 on: Thu, 05 November 2020, 12:04:03 »
Removed
« Last Edit: Tue, 17 August 2021, 13:36:42 by directheatedtriode »

Offline avtar

« Reply #87 on: Fri, 06 November 2020, 01:37:31 »
I'd be in for Cherry profile and some bright coloured sets.

Offline _PixelNinja

• C=Q/V=ε(A/t)
« Reply #88 on: Fri, 06 November 2020, 02:55:34 »
Personally I would be curious to see thicker caps for Topre.

Offline Ensaum

« Reply #89 on: Sun, 10 January 2021, 13:32:10 »
Still interested in this. Hope it's not abandoned :(

Offline fkcaps

• FKcaps
« Reply #90 on: Mon, 11 January 2021, 03:20:39 »
It isn't at all, I was just waiting to have something substantial before sending an email update to all IC subscribers...

The designer is working on preparing some legends, and we ordered a test mold for spacebars (to make sure the stems are good and there is no warping), that I should receive samples of by the end of the month.

The plan is to dispatch some of those samples to a few people so they test the fit on as many brands/models as possible (as I only own a RF88u), and then once we are 100% sure the samples are perfect, we start the GB.

Offline gautema

« Reply #91 on: Mon, 11 January 2021, 04:12:33 »
I'm really looking forward to something like this. Interested in everything but blanks

Offline Xeryn

« Reply #92 on: Sat, 16 January 2021, 17:31:35 »
A little late but filled out the form! Definitely +1 for hi pro profile, OEM second choice.

Excited to see what colors you end up going with, I will fill out the design form for sure when it's out.

Offline Auxo

• Formerly CJD_Anthony
« Reply #93 on: Tue, 26 January 2021, 19:08:31 »
It isn't at all, I was just waiting to have something substantial before sending an email update to all IC subscribers...

The designer is working on preparing some legends, and we ordered a test mold for spacebars (to make sure the stems are good and there is no warping), that I should receive samples of by the end of the month.

The plan is to dispatch some of those samples to a few people so they test the fit on as many brands/models as possible (as I only own a RF88u), and then once we are 100% sure the samples are perfect, we start the GB.

LMK if you're ever able to get any samples of a 7u spacebar created for 84/86u, thats where my money is sitting  ;)

Offline Kookiekurls

« Reply #94 on: Tue, 26 January 2021, 23:58:39 »
This is desparately needed. Especially for keycap sets for boards other than HHKB. I have the FC980C and there are so few options for keycap sets out there. It would be nice to have more sets that support it.

Offline thanatic

« Reply #95 on: Wed, 27 January 2021, 00:24:33 »
Always looking for hipro

Offline Dyto69

• 420 blaze it but dont forget 69
« Reply #96 on: Wed, 27 January 2021, 07:40:12 »
WoB would be huge. Classic grey or beige, or some variant of Dolch would be very interesting as well. I’m thirsty for Topre keycaps, but it would have to be better quality than the offerings from KBDfans. The crooked stems are unusable imo, so you would have to prove that you can do better.
Yes i agree with this, im using some KBDFans Keycaps on my 87U right now and i don't really like them, they feel weird and rough, the clack more and wobble more than oem caps

Offline snurrebassen

• mechanical keyboard designer and enthusiast
    • Linktree
« Reply #97 on: Thu, 28 January 2021, 01:56:04 »
Filled in IC :)
We desperately need this.

Offline zalimander

« Reply #98 on: Wed, 14 April 2021, 20:24:06 »
Any updates? Realize it's been a wild year-plus so not trying to rush anyone, but really excited for this to happen.

Offline P103

« Reply #99 on: Wed, 14 April 2021, 21:04:51 »
In for a cherry profile one.