Author Topic: [IC] Lan - Dolch-inspired Alice [Soundtest avail]  (Read 8039 times)

Offline the flying penguin

[IC] Lan - Dolch-inspired Alice [Soundtest avail]
« on: Sat, 01 January 2022, 09:37:33 »
280587-0280646-1280648-2280650-3
Lan is an Alice-style keyboard that was loosely inspired by the designs on the Dolch boards, and to explore what sandwich mount could provide.

IC FORM

兰(pronounced lán) is Orchid in Chinese.
Lan is a name that makes little thematic sense with the design of the keyboard, and this section explains that. Please skip all of this if you don’t want to read a sob story.

More
My grandmother was someone I always looked up to, raising three kids while working two jobs back in the 60s in Singapore isn’t easy by any means. She’s a fierce advocator of letting her kids do whatever the hell they wanted because she couldn’t in her able-bodied youth, and by extension her grandchildren.

She would listen to me talk about keyboards in broken Chinese and English in the boring afternoons, not understanding it, but happy for me nonetheless. When I told her about my thoughts on designing a board and releasing it publicly, she supported me fully, telling me that I’d regret it if I didn’t at least try.

She passed away a year ago.

I had been stumped on the name for a long time, and when I came back to keyboards, it only felt fitting that I would want to commemorate her in this somehow.

The Orchid was her favourite flower, she has kept the same orchids for as long as I could remember, and it still sits on the balcony right next to me today.

With that out of the way, let’s get to the actual important part.

New Photos
280700-4
280702-5
280704-6
280706-7

SOUND TEST
Thank you to Aerandire for the stream and soundtest!

https://www.twitch.tv/fatboychard/clip/AgreeableCharmingNightingaleNononoCat-AK8_tedbHWaw97HY
Thank you to Fatboychard for the build stream!

SPECIFICATIONS
Standard Alice style
Sandwich Mount
19mm~ front height
6-degree typing angle
Made with 6063 aluminum
1.5mm PP/Alu Half Plate
QMK/VIA/VIAL supported
1.2mm HS/Solder PCB with alpha flex cuts - Shims included
Unified Daughterboard C3
Blue and Purple solder mask PCB
Beadblasted and clear coated brass weight

COLOURS
Purple
Other colours are being considered, such as red, black and e-white.

CONTENTS
Lan Case
Brass Weight
PP/Alu Half Plate
PCB w/ Daughterboard
Mounting hardware
Rubber Feet
High Quality Carrying Case
Microfiber Cloth

PCB
280589-8280652-9
280591-10
With clever hotswap socket placement, Kopibeng has allowed for a large majority of the options for Alice users to choose from for the hotswap PCB without making it Swiss cheese.

*Only stepped caps lock is supported on the hotswap PCB, normal caps lock has to be soldered. This is due to north-facing switches causing interference.
** Has caps lock indicator LED, can be disabled with a simple pass of a soldering iron.

QOL FEATURES
Alignment Pins on the top piece
Big fat chamfer so arms don’t get stabbed by it
Bottom fins positioned to not hurt any arms
280595-11
Chonky handles to pick it up
280593-12

SALE INFO
400-450USD on Mecha.Store
50 Units

FAQ
Q: Thermalice?
A: Yes, the fins are reminiscent of the Thermal. This was not intentional, and I have reached out to RAMA and wilba on separate occasions to smooth out any issues they might have.
For transparency’s sake, I only got a reply from RAMA.
Q: Lead time?
A: I’m hoping for a 6 months lead time. In the age of one year lead times, I hope that managing a smaller total quantity will help get this board into your hands at a reasonable time frame. With a sufficient enough amount of interest, an in-stock drop may be deemed viable.

Q: Finish Quality?
A: The manufacturer used has done many keyboard projects before and are aware of the expectations on the finish that keyboard enthusiasts come to expect, they will also be checked once again before shipping out.

Q: Where are you shipping from?
A: Singapore

Q: Rectangle?
A: After trying out both a more standard Alice-style case shape and a rectangle, I found the rectangle to be more aesthetically pleasing, and the compatibility for more standard wrist rests.

Q: Included foam pls?
A: no

Q: Plate file?
A: Plate files are planned to be released after the groupbuy to allow people to have their plates ready beforehand.

Q: pls hotswap or solder PCB?
A: I'm offering both.

Q: Why is it so expensive? It's just a sandwich!
A: Sourcing 1.5mm thick PP, and consistently ensuring that the finish on the sides is acceptable is a factor that plays into this, coupled with the additional machining time to mill the fins and throw in the price of raw aluminum and MCUs and you have a sub 400 price tag. The price tag isn't something that I am particularly happy about, but even after as many cost optimisations I could do, there are portions of it that I do not want to cut out on. (Daughterboard, fins, plastic plate midpiece, curved bottom, carrying case)
Even with the constraints of the mounting style, I am happy with the typing feel without the mounting needing to be needlessly complicated.

THANKS
My grandmother who supported me on this venture with me from the start.
Kopibeng for bearing with me and doing fantastic work on the PCBs
Boog for giving me honest feedback with prototypes.
Atre for being amazing
Kaster for helping my noob ass
The people at Mecha.Store for supporting me from the start and the amazing photos.
Everyone else that has supported me in some way or another, you know who you are.

All images in this post are not renders.
There is a unit available for molesting testing in Mecha.store's physical store in Singapore.

Discord
Instagram
Full Album
« Last Edit: Sun, 16 January 2022, 21:15:30 by the flying penguin »

Re: [IC] Lan
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 01 January 2022, 09:39:13 »
Reserved
3/1 - Attached more of the album into the main post, added questions in FAQ.
        I will be taking more photos in natural lighting soon, the harsh lighting does not do the anode favours.

4/1 - New Photos attached       
« Last Edit: Mon, 03 January 2022, 20:15:56 by the flying penguin »

Offline nullinasou

« Reply #2 on: Sat, 01 January 2022, 11:23:47 »
Not a fan of rectangle alice but otherwise looking good and unique. GLWIC :)

Offline zea

• yeh
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 01 January 2022, 11:28:16 »
would you consider adding cerakote colors to the group buy? if so, i think crushed orchid would be a really nice and fitting color for this board! also please consider making the outside cutout of the usb port more rounded so it fits in better with the board imo.

otherwise really keen on this!

Offline FlitzDeelman

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 01 January 2022, 12:21:05 »
would you consider adding cerakote colors to the group buy? if so, i think crushed orchid would be a really nice and fitting color for this board! also please consider making the outside cutout of the usb port more rounded so it fits in better with the board imo.

I understand where you’re coming from, good request.

But GB runner, please keep the rough texture ano, and the purple colour. That really caught my eye.

Offline derpturtle

« Reply #5 on: Sat, 01 January 2022, 15:50:40 »
Lack of funky curves on an ergo board is a little weird to me but imo it works here, really digging the dolch/thermal fins. glwic

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #6 on: Sat, 01 January 2022, 15:53:08 »
thermalice
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline WhatsForLunch

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 02 January 2022, 10:58:19 »
Love the idea, but could you add full board photos and not just details  in the IC and not just in the link at the bottom 

« Reply #8 on: Sun, 02 January 2022, 13:32:46 »

Regarding cerakote, there are no cerakote applicators capable of consistently providing a quality product easily available for me to offer this.
However, offering raw aluminum cases to have it locally coated for people like you is something I am seriously considering.

Offline hottrout

• I'd Hit Dat Key
« Reply #9 on: Sun, 02 January 2022, 18:17:26 »
Interesting layout for an ergo.  I am interested.
Current Daily Driver : Virgo - Ultramarine - Standard Lube  |  WTB : Topre Realforce Hi-Pro, please PM me if you have one for sale.

Systems -
More
Work |i9-7940x@4.8ghz|32GB(3600)|STRIX-RTX3090Ti|Bespoke Water, 360m Rad|X299 Prime Deluxe|EK x299 Monoblock|Optane 900p|2x1TB 960 Pro|2x10TB Helium|Dell U3415W + Dell UP2116Q
Home |i9-13900ks|32GB(7300)|Rog RTX 4090|Asus Z790 Rog Maximus Hero|Torrent Air|2TB 990 Pro|2TB 990 Pro|Dell AW3423DW QOLED|NEC MultiSync|Drobo16TB
Mining |i5-7500|16GB(2400)|H110 Pro BTC+|8x1080Ti|2x1650Watt PSU

Plus 40 years of collecting retro computers, consoles, games, peripherals, mainframes and mini's as well as their software, keyboards, games and manuals. 100's of systems including every Amiga model made
  Keyboards -
More
IBM 3101 | IBM 3276 | IBM 5150 | IBM ModelM | Dictaphone Dual Display | Vintage Cherrys (1982 onwards, just about all of them) | Commodore (all of them) | Nixdorf | Siemens | ICL | Apple (all of them) | Filco Majistouch | KBDFans 5degree - Chocolate | Rama M6-B - Moon | CA66 Silver | ClueBoard Graphite/PC | Varmilo VA69M Silver | E7-V1 SE Yellow | Rama U-80 Space Grey | VN66 Navy | BOCC Frosted Polycarbonate | Rama M10-C Midnight | FLX Virgo Teal & Black | Rama M60-A LYN Kuro | Space65 CyberVoyager WhiteGold | Space65 CyberVoyager Terminal | Hyper 7 | Clarabelle Sandblasted Polycarbonate | Elongate Mini 1800 Blue | Petrichor 1800 Red | Vulcan Maja Ergo Green | Think6.5v2 RoboCop | Jacky Bear 65% E-White | Sakabato CB87 TKL Champagne | KCK KY-01 Aquamarine | Jae J-01 F&F E-White & Copper | S7.7 E-White | The Adélie Blue | NIX OxalyS80 LE Dark Polycarbonate | Mesa TKL E-White | Smith & Rune IRON180 Graen/Brass | Skog Reboot Desert | CU7 Black | ROTR Silver & Copper | RAMA Kara Soya | Grid 650 E-White | SIX5 LE Aluminium & Gold | OwLab Voice65 Grey | BOX 75 Black Stainless Steel | Onyx E-White | Ikki68 BT Charcoal | Smith & Rune Iron 165 Graphite & Stainless Steel | Epoch 80% Black | RAMA Thermal SEQ2 Kuro | Paper Crane Gerald65 SE PC & CF | CB1800 ZANBATO | GLiTCH | Eclipse Grey & SS | TGR Tomo Silver | Mountain Ergo Black | Keebwerk NASU Black/Red | Phase One 65 Grey | Command TKL Fire | Chalice Frosted | VIENDI 8L Shadow | | Vulcan Maja PC | Glove 80 | Matrix 8XV 3.0 Starry Night | Sagittarius Grey Lilac | AKB OGR & Numpad Dolch | Type K Black

Offline lishan1988

« Reply #10 on: Mon, 03 January 2022, 06:36:41 »
Will the 1.2mm PCB cause any issues during stabiliser installation?

« Reply #11 on: Mon, 03 January 2022, 19:50:29 »
Will the 1.2mm PCB cause any issues during stabiliser installation?

Not in my testing for screw-ins, the shims are there because I personally prefer to use clip-ins as well.
« Last Edit: Mon, 03 January 2022, 20:11:29 by the flying penguin »

Offline GhostTedd

« Reply #12 on: Mon, 10 January 2022, 08:41:46 »
Great board, looking forward to the GB, let's fly

Offline depressedkeebs

• Depressed Keebs
« Reply #13 on: Mon, 10 January 2022, 13:26:57 »
i like the rectangle, also nice too see you include the plate files after the GB is over