Author Topic: Prototype Glass Keycaps (pictures within)  (Read 4238 times)

Offline GlassGala

• Glass Gala Inc.
Prototype Glass Keycaps (pictures within)
« on: Mon, 06 February 2017, 22:03:02 »
These are currently unfinished but working to perfect it. There are still a lot of work that needs to be done. Any suggestions/tips/feedback are welcome  :)

https://m.imgur.com/a/M6XIp#IMpJ1Al

Edit: sorry fixed image link
« Last Edit: Tue, 07 February 2017, 13:26:33 by GlassGala »

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
Re: Prototype Glass Keycaps (pictures within)
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 06 February 2017, 22:35:07 »
Hmmm no pictures are showing up for me(on Tapatalk), interested in seeing them! I see on your website you make some really nice glass items :)

Offline nmur

• ಠ_ಠ
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 06 February 2017, 22:38:21 »
i also see nothing on my browser

Offline A-train

« Reply #3 on: Mon, 06 February 2017, 22:48:43 »
Sounds sweet, let's see them.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 06 February 2017, 23:54:13 »
Welcome to Geekhack!

No pictures are showing for me either - how/where did you attach/upload them?
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline buckyballs

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 07 February 2017, 01:02:45 »
hope to see them on massdrop someday!

Offline Chaosti

• Plastic Enthusiast
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 07 February 2017, 16:00:48 »
They look interesting! I like the idea of translucent keycaps, but the thought of dropping one and chipping it by accident would keep me from buying a set tbh. Something more hardy like resin or acrylic maybe?

Offline Halverson

• Traitor Supreme
  • GIRLSHARK WIZBRO
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 07 February 2017, 17:26:26 »
They look pretty good! Do you have a plan on how to make them work on a switch? Would be leery of a glass stem.

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 07 February 2017, 20:01:29 »
It looks like the stem fits into a cutout flush with the cap and not a stem.  If that's the case, it won't be a functioning cap, it will only sit on top of the switch.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 07 February 2017, 23:00:29 »
It looks like the stem fits into a cutout flush with the cap and not a stem.  If that's the case, it won't be a functioning cap, it will only sit on top of the switch.

My interpretation too.

As OP said, still a lot of work to be done ...
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline katushkin

• Too Keycool for School
  • * Elevated Elder
  • Just the guy
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 07 February 2017, 23:24:33 »
Well I say so long as the stem fits in the cutout, it's a good start. But yeah it's just gonna sit there for now. Work is probably needed seeing how easy it is to make a skinny glass stem that can withstand a bit of pressure...
Can we get them to build the Alps ten feet higher and get Cherry to pay for it?
Katushkin's Clearout | Twitter | Steam | Instagram| Discord - katushkin

Offline cribbit

« Reply #11 on: Tue, 14 February 2017, 19:18:47 »
Also, pictures don't show just how *****y it is to get glass to come out of a mold the exact same each time. Visibly good stems can still be a terrible fit.

Very impressive though! I'm very hopeful that someone will crack the glass cap question.
I typed this post on my Slanck. I also developed a stronger, cleaner, easier handwiring method.

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #12 on: Wed, 20 December 2017, 13:18:56 »
You could simply transplant a stem from an existing keycap, instead of molding it.