Author Topic: [IC] Mercury Rocketeer  (Read 39913 times)

Offline Vigrith

Re: [IC] Mercury Rocketeer
« Reply #100 on: Tue, 20 March 2018, 15:05:23 »
Detachable cable for sure.

Offline Jedi

« Reply #101 on: Tue, 20 March 2018, 15:39:23 »
From my perspective whichever option that gives your design the best aesthetic after everything is all put together. In other words if the final product will look 100% either way, then the community is going to be split between wanting to buy a custom color/length/coiled/etc cable and a swap out ability to buy a different profile case.

Go with what finishes the product in the most true to form way and the way you envisioned it to look. Please, please, please don't go based on cost (as in this option is cheaper because we can manufacture it to a lower cost).  IMHO

Offline TheNamesTy45

« Reply #102 on: Tue, 20 March 2018, 16:44:58 »
So I have a question for the community. Which of these two product features is more important?

1. A case that can accommodate Pok3r (and Pok3r-compatible) boards?
    ...or...
2. An easily detachable cable? (i.e., detachable without opening the case)

In other words, if the industrial design of the case made it impractical to provide for both, which of the two would be more important? I guess you could answer this in two contexts: which is more important to you personally, and which do you think would be more important to the overall potential customer base?

If Duck custom boards are any indication, I think people can handle non-standard PCBs, and the detachable cable adds an extra layer of customization.

Offline zslane

« Reply #103 on: Tue, 26 June 2018, 18:43:03 »
This project is nearing completion!

With luck, the next big announcement will be in about a month...  :thumb:

Offline dimo

« Reply #104 on: Wed, 27 June 2018, 14:26:32 »
Gotta start saving    :mad:

Offline HOBI3CAT

• FraktalKaps.com
    • Fraktal Kaps Website
« Reply #105 on: Wed, 27 June 2018, 14:48:22 »

Pumped! Really hyped for this set :) Did you ever settle on a profile/material? I'm really hoping for Sculpted ABS SA myself
Eat, Sleep, Resin, Repeat.

Offline zslane

« Reply #106 on: Wed, 27 June 2018, 16:56:17 »
Yes, sculptured double-shot SA is still the plan.

Bear in mind that this is not a keycap set GB, but a keyboard GB that comes with a dedicated keycap set designed just for it.

I wanted this GB to support 3rd party 60% boards, but that doesn't look like it will happen in the first go-around. Compatibility for other 60% boards will require a "compatibility kit" (basically a special USB daughterboard) that MassDrop may produce and sell as a separate drop if enough demand for it becomes apparent during the Rocketeer GB.

Offline TheNamesTy45

« Reply #107 on: Wed, 27 June 2018, 17:05:18 »
Just looked at that render again. This will be an absolute must buy for me. So so excited for this one.

Offline macclack

• Macclack
« Reply #108 on: Thu, 28 June 2018, 10:15:07 »
Great news to wake up to!  :thumb:

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #109 on: Thu, 28 June 2018, 13:57:19 »

I just realized - I haven't seen anything about layouts.  Is it only the one layout?

Offline dimo

« Reply #110 on: Thu, 28 June 2018, 14:05:16 »

I just realized - I haven't seen anything about layouts.  Is it only the one layout?

I mean, what are you looking for?

There's an ISO kit so that would mean ISO support is available-- even though the metallic enter looks much better.

60% are usually lacked with room to budge unless you get into 65% territory

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #111 on: Thu, 28 June 2018, 14:56:57 »

I mean, what are you looking for?

There's an ISO kit so that would mean ISO support is available-- even though the metallic enter looks much better.

60% are usually lacked with room to budge unless you get into 65% territory

I'm just looking for the layouts that it supports.  He has a specific vision for it, so wanted to know if there were any layouts that it supported, or whether it was a singular layout.  Split backspace is the one that I'm specifically looking at, but as he said that the sets would be smaller than the ones listed in the original spec, what that entails would be nice in any case. 

Offline zslane

« Reply #112 on: Thu, 28 June 2018, 17:14:16 »
Long story short:

For the first run of this GB there is only one layout: ANSI. That's because MassDrop is designing/producing the custom PCB themselves and they only want to do one layout at first.

You have to disregard the kit renders I did earlier since they represent a version of this project that allowed existing 60% boards to fit into the custom case. That may happen in the future if enough people tell MassDrop they want to be able to do that, but for this first round the GB is for a fully built-out keyboard product in just the ANSI layout.

Long story long:

The unusual shape of the custom Rocketeer case places the rear USB cable connector port a fair distance from any 60% PCB's USB connector. The solution to this problem for MassDrop's PCB (which uses USB-C, BTW) is to manufacture a small daughterboard that bolts onto the PCB and essentially "extends" the USB-C port all the way to the back of the case. In order for other 60% boards to work inside this case, they too would need a daughterboard like this. MassDrop is willing to make daughterboards for micro-/mini-USB PCBs, but they aren't willing to do that until they discern a strong enough customer demand for it.

Offline dimo

« Reply #113 on: Thu, 28 June 2018, 17:47:03 »
Long story short:

For the first run of this GB there is only one layout: ANSI. That's because MassDrop is designing/producing the custom PCB themselves and they only want to do one layout at first.

You have to disregard the kit renders I did earlier since they represent a version of this project that allowed existing 60% boards to fit into the custom case. That may happen in the future if enough people tell MassDrop they want to be able to do that, but for this first round the GB is for a fully built-out keyboard product in just the ANSI layout.

Long story long:

The unusual shape of the custom Rocketeer case places the rear USB cable connector port a fair distance from any 60% PCB's USB connector. The solution to this problem for MassDrop's PCB (which uses USB-C, BTW) is to manufacture a small daughterboard that bolts onto the PCB and essentially "extends" the USB-C port all the way to the back of the case. In order for other 60% boards to work inside this case, they too would need a daughterboard like this. MassDrop is willing to make daughterboards for micro-/mini-USB PCBs, but they aren't willing to do that until they discern a strong enough customer demand for it.

Sounds good to me !

Offline portbaron

« Reply #114 on: Thu, 28 June 2018, 18:50:59 »
Wow, if it has a cool retro case like that I'm in for sure. Not sure I can handle the p|nus enter key though, hopefully that metal artisan one happens.
| LIVING THE 1800 LIFE |

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #115 on: Thu, 28 June 2018, 20:54:38 »
Long story short:

Long story long:

Thanks for the reply!  Sets my expectations!  :thumb:

Offline zslane

« Reply #116 on: Thu, 28 June 2018, 23:11:06 »
Wow, if it has a cool retro case like that I'm in for sure. Not sure I can handle the p|nus enter key though, hopefully that metal artisan one happens.

That symbol is being eliminated from the Return key. It will just be blank instead.

Of course, my choice would be to go with the lovely chrome artisan Return key...  :thumb:

Offline dimo

« Reply #117 on: Fri, 29 June 2018, 11:33:05 »
Do you have any idea on estimated price for the full kit Zslane?

And would it be able to separate kits? Like could I only buy keycaps or only the board?

Offline zslane

« Reply #118 on: Fri, 29 June 2018, 12:04:00 »
In all honesty, I have no idea what the price will be like. But it won't be cheap. This thing is all custom and all top-shelf materials.

For the first GB this will only sell as a fully built-out keyboard. The idea here isn't to sell green keycaps, or a 60% PCB+plate. It is to provide a complete keyboard product. Maybe a future GB will break things out into separate components; this first GB will be used to assess the demand for that sort of thing (based on comments/questions in the drop's Discussion page).

Offline dimo

« Reply #119 on: Fri, 29 June 2018, 12:04:55 »
In all honesty, I have no idea what the price will be like. But it won't be cheap. This thing is all custom and all top-shelf materials.

For the first GB this will only sell as a fully built-out keyboard. The idea here isn't to sell green keycaps, or a 60% PCB+plate. It is to provide a complete keyboard product. Maybe a future GB will break things out into separate components; this first GB will be used to assess the demand for that sort of thing (based on comments/questions in the drop's Discussion page).

Understood! Thanks

Offline elfick

• Can I get Colemak and a side of fries with that?
« Reply #120 on: Fri, 29 June 2018, 12:19:03 »
I know ISO isn't part of this run, but if/when you do, the ISO return artisan should be the rocket image you have in the render between "Murcury" and "Rocketeer" at the top of the case.  :cool:

Offline zslane

« Reply #121 on: Fri, 29 June 2018, 13:13:10 »
I know ISO isn't part of this run, but if/when you do, the ISO return artisan should be the rocket image you have in the render between "Murcury" and "Rocketeer" at the top of the case.  :cool:

That's a great idea!

Offline SingSong

« Reply #122 on: Fri, 29 June 2018, 19:06:28 »
Definitely sad that this isn't going to be a keycap set instead of a all-inclusive-set, since it's probably going to cost more and I really, really liked that shade of mint-ish green.

Offline TheNamesTy45

« Reply #123 on: Sat, 30 June 2018, 09:48:18 »

Just wondering, does this mean that there likely won't be an option without switches?

I only ask because I want to add custom switches, and I just went through a marathon desoldering session (6 hours), and I remember how much I hate it. If the switches are included is the board likely to be a hot swap board?

It may be too early to say, but I was also curious to know how closely the design of the end product will mirror the earlier rendering on page 2. It seemed like a relatively complex design to machine.

Offline zslane

« Reply #124 on: Sat, 30 June 2018, 12:01:57 »
The Rocketeer PCB is a hotswap board, and so I feel that ordering without switches is a totally reasonable option. I will try to nudge MassDrop towards making that option available.

The final keyboard will look virtually identical to my renders. Here is what the latest prototype case looks like (the brass plate will probably be an upgrade option during the drop):

198917-0

Offline dimo

[IC] Mercury Rocketeer
« Reply #125 on: Sat, 30 June 2018, 12:29:15 »
The Rocketeer PCB is a hotswap board, and so I feel that ordering without switches is a totally reasonable option. I will try to nudge MassDrop towards making that option available.

The final keyboard will look virtually identical to my renders. Here is what the latest prototype case looks like (the brass plate will probably be an upgrade option during the drop):

(Attachment Link)

That looks damn good- although the color turned out a little lighter.

I think this whole project in collaboration with Massdrop is honestly a great step forward.The results of how well the drop turns out to be will also lead to more officially custom boards maybe making way onto Massdrop. And although r/mk as a whole constantly ****s on Massdrop, they’re the only reason we’ve become so big, and I love everything they’ve been doing.

This is truly revolutionary for our small community and I’m excited to see what happens.

Offline HOBI3CAT

• FraktalKaps.com
    • Fraktal Kaps Website
« Reply #126 on: Sat, 30 June 2018, 12:35:07 »
A little sad that there will not be an option for just the keycaps, although I totally understand why, and I think the whole project is really cool! I think a future drop of just the keycaps would be totally do-able, since there are not really many novelties, so SP wouldn't need to produce many (if any) custom molds. Only reason I wouldn't be in for the whole thing is because I already have 3 60% boards with a specific layout that I like (dedicated arrows, split spacebar, split backspace), so I will probably have to pass and just pray that there will be a future drop with just the caps. Really hoping this goes well though!
Eat, Sleep, Resin, Repeat.

Offline zslane

« Reply #127 on: Sat, 30 June 2018, 13:32:02 »
That looks damn good- although the color turned out a little lighter.

You kinda have to take the colors you see in any photo with a grain of salt. Lighting conditions, the competence of the photographer, and the calibration settings of your monitor all play a role in determining what colors you see, and so a photo isn't always a perfect representation of the item color(s) in real life. However, I do believe that MassDrop is trying to color match the Hermes Rocket typewriter they have in house, which is way better IMO than trying to match a CG render.

Offline TheNamesTy45

« Reply #128 on: Sat, 30 June 2018, 13:48:17 »

(Attachment Link)

That's perfect. And the prototype does not disappoint at all!!

Offline child

« Reply #129 on: Sun, 01 July 2018, 03:25:18 »

(Attachment Link)

Why is the plate mirrored left-right?  :p

Offline zslane

« Reply #130 on: Sun, 01 July 2018, 11:34:16 »
Ha! That's a good question. My guess is that they just dropped the plate in to take a quick photo and didn't think to correctly orient it first.

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #131 on: Mon, 02 July 2018, 19:08:36 »
Very nice looking board.  I'll definitely save a spot in my plan for this one.  Hotswap and tray mount compatibility can be tricky, but I'm sure you know that.

Offline Kavik

« Reply #132 on: Mon, 02 July 2018, 22:34:06 »
Wow! That prototype looks good. Good luck with the drop. I likely won't have the funds available for it, but I look forward to seeing others'.
Maybe they're waiting for gasmasks and latex to get sexy again.

The world has become a weird place.

Offline TheNamesTy45

« Reply #133 on: Fri, 06 July 2018, 14:14:29 »
Been furiously refreshing Massdrop every morning at 9 hoping it's the day that this drops.

Offline child

« Reply #134 on: Sun, 08 July 2018, 16:11:03 »
What is the angle of the plate?

Offline zslane

« Reply #135 on: Sun, 08 July 2018, 18:18:48 »
The plate is flat, zero angle, by default. But when you add the rubber feet in the back, it gives the board a 3° angle.

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #136 on: Sun, 08 July 2018, 19:59:11 »
The plate is flat, zero angle, by default. But when you add the rubber feet in the back, it gives the board a 3° angle.

Heck yeah.  More low angle boards.  I'm loving it!  I can type on anything, but flat is just more comfortable for me.

Offline zslane

« Reply #137 on: Wed, 11 July 2018, 19:37:50 »
The drop announcement is coming any day now. Stay tuned!  :thumb:

Offline TheNamesTy45

« Reply #138 on: Wed, 11 July 2018, 20:21:46 »
The drop announcement is coming any day now. Stay tuned!  :thumb:

You must've read my mind. Was just getting ready to ask when you thought the drop would be happening this month.

Offline zslane

« Reply #139 on: Thu, 12 July 2018, 15:28:56 »
I believe it is going to begin tomorrow morning at 6am PDT.

Offline TheNamesTy45

« Reply #140 on: Thu, 12 July 2018, 16:49:30 »
I believe it is going to begin tomorrow morning at 6am PDT.

Oh. Yes.

Offline Rumblehotep

« Reply #141 on: Thu, 12 July 2018, 17:19:34 »
I love everything about this.

Offline elfick

• Can I get Colemak and a side of fries with that?
« Reply #142 on: Thu, 12 July 2018, 17:26:06 »
@zslane Congrats, that board looks amazing!

Offline zslane

Offline Photoelectric

• * Administrator
« Reply #144 on: Thu, 12 July 2018, 18:12:18 »
Definitely a cool board.  I would have loved to see the color of the typewriter to the left of the prototype (seems to be a bit less green, more toward beige).  Hoping a configuration with more options for the bottom rows will become available at some point (for a dedicated arrow cluster).
- Keyboards: LZ-GH (Jailhouse Blues)M65-a, MIRA SE, E8-V1, MOON TKL, CA66
- Keyboard Case Painting Tips -
- Join Mechanical Keyboards photography group on Flickr -

Offline chuckdee

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #145 on: Thu, 12 July 2018, 19:45:13 »
And idle thought... I wish there was a return lever like the querkywriter :)  But great getting it out there!  I hope the buy goes swimmingly!

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #146 on: Thu, 12 July 2018, 19:50:42 »
Can we get it in black with white on black caps? I'd totally dig that. Call it fats domino.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Offline bciamny

« Reply #147 on: Thu, 12 July 2018, 23:02:34 »
generally not a fan of retro styling/60%s but the way you've made all of this come together is pretty awesome zslane.

Offline hhkbp2

« Reply #148 on: Thu, 12 July 2018, 23:36:48 »
I expect it supports more layout like hhkb and has more kits which contains keys like 1.75u shift, 7u spacebar and more novelties keys like previous kit layout shows. Anyway, nice work!

Offline portbaron

« Reply #149 on: Fri, 13 July 2018, 02:05:07 »
Looks great, and not as expensive as I expected.
| LIVING THE 1800 LIFE |