Author Topic: [ENDED] Yet Another Model F AT (Yamfat)  (Read 23555 times)

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
Re: Yet Another Model F AT (Yamfat)
« Reply #50 on: Fri, 09 November 2018, 14:55:49 »
So, say I came across a model F AT with a cut cord.  How would I go about converting it to USB?  Any links?  Can solder.

Offline BlindAssassin111

• I design keyboards and stuff.
    • Viktus
« Reply #51 on: Fri, 09 November 2018, 15:09:56 »
So, say I came across a model F AT with a cut cord.  How would I go about converting it to USB?  Any links?  Can solder.

You can get the xwhatsit for the ATs, which is nice. Kinda want to get an AT because of how much easier the layout is to use compared to the XT I sold due to layout issues.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Xwhatsit-IBM-Model-F-USB-Keyboard-Controller-AT-F62-F107-F122-Unsaver-USB-CABLE/302426372578?hash=item466a0439e2:g:jM4AAOSwz2tZnusy:sc:USPSFirstClass!77065!US!-1:rk:1:pf:0

Offline JP

« Reply #52 on: Fri, 09 November 2018, 15:13:14 »
Well there are normally 2 ways to convert these. Orihalcon sells converters to convert XT'S to USB which also work on these AT's. I think a cheaper active ps2 to USB adapter will work on these also. A replacement cable can be easily sourced I'm sure. Somebody will have one or you can adapt one from a different keyboard. The second option is to desolder the controller and solder in an xwhatsit for the model f which Orihalcon also sells.
About Me | The Collection
Therapy is expensive so I buy keyboards and bike parts.

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #53 on: Fri, 09 November 2018, 15:27:41 »
Thanks guys.  I believe I have a cable that I can use to test it, and then if it works I'll pick up the Xwhatsit controller for full conversion.

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #54 on: Fri, 09 November 2018, 15:34:27 »
Also, would you all think less of me if I painted it a deep burgundy color? 

Offline BlindAssassin111

• Viktus
« Reply #55 on: Fri, 09 November 2018, 15:35:58 »

Maybe...so much so that you would have to send me the board for free to deal with the sin, I promise to rehabilitate it, keep it warm, and provide a nice environment for it to thrive. :P

Offline JP

« Reply #56 on: Fri, 09 November 2018, 15:44:56 »

Maybe...so much so that you would have to send me the board for free to deal with the sin, I promise to rehabilitate it, keep it warm, and provide a nice environment for it to thrive. :P

I second that motion  :)

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #57 on: Fri, 09 November 2018, 16:29:07 »

A nice paint job may be the best way to conceal a repair. That is why I used Dupli-Color charcoal gray on a few of my F-122 rehabs.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #58 on: Fri, 09 November 2018, 16:39:07 »

A nice paint job may be the best way to conceal a repair. That is why I used Dupli-Color charcoal gray on a few of my F-122 rehabs.

Yep.  I was going to use that Burgundy Duplicolor.  I used the blue on a Dell Bigfoot and I love the way it turned out.

« Last Edit: Fri, 09 November 2018, 16:47:48 by pixelpusher »

Offline JP

Offline BlindAssassin111

• Viktus

Offline JP

« Reply #62 on: Tue, 20 November 2018, 22:17:56 »

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #63 on: Wed, 21 November 2018, 16:49:49 »
I would consider an AT to be worth at least 3X what an XT fetches, being an infinitely better layout and an order of magnitude more rare.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #64 on: Sat, 01 December 2018, 03:00:12 »
:)) I forgot about her.

Dude, MKs are great and all, but I suspect you need to get out more.
We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline JP

« Reply #65 on: Sat, 01 December 2018, 09:16:35 »
:)) I forgot about her.

Dude, MKs are great and all, but I suspect you need to get out more.

208154-0
« Last Edit: Sat, 01 December 2018, 09:18:30 by JP »

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #66 on: Sun, 09 December 2018, 02:34:40 »

We are not chasing wildly after beauty with fear at our backs. – Natalie Goldberg

Offline JP

« Reply #67 on: Sun, 09 December 2018, 10:14:50 »
I like where this thread is going  ;D

Offline JP

Offline JP

Offline BlindAssassin111

• Viktus
« Reply #71 on: Fri, 14 December 2018, 20:00:30 »
F-AT BIN
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Rare-IBM-Personal-Computer-AT-Model-F-Mechanical-Buckling-Spring-Keyboard-Clicky/173691734228?hash=item2870d588d4:g:6egAAOSwVH9cFCX4:rk:1:pf:0

Noooooo.  I ate dinner and missed it.

I am kinda happy someone did before I did...I wanted it so bad but don't really have the money to be spending on keyboards atm, even if I really want to spend money for stupid reasons lol.

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #72 on: Fri, 14 December 2018, 20:28:05 »
I am kinda happy someone did before I did...I wanted it so bad but don't really have the money to be spending on keyboards atm, even if I really want to spend money for stupid reasons lol.

Interestingly, with some minor changes, that's just the sort of thing we might say when we do buy keebs:

I am kinda happy no one [bought it] before I did... I wanted it so bad even though I didn't really have the money to be spending on keyboards atm, but I really wanted to spend money for stupid reasons lol.

Offline JP

« Last Edit: Mon, 17 December 2018, 16:52:00 by JP »

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #75 on: Wed, 19 December 2018, 00:11:52 »
Okay, okay—let's not go crazy here.  :?)

Offline JP

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #77 on: Fri, 21 December 2018, 05:17:22 »
It seemed like just another GH thread.

Little did anyone realize it would become...

THE  THREAD  THAT  WOULDN’T DIE

Offline JP

« Reply #78 on: Fri, 21 December 2018, 08:17:48 »
It seemed like just another GH thread.

Little did anyone realize it would become...

THE  THREAD  THAT  WOULDN’T DIE

Don't you mean YET ANOTHER THREAD THAT WOULDN'T DIE ;D

Offline Glod

• * Elevated Elder
  • Also Known As Ergonomech
    • YouTube Channel
« Reply #79 on: Fri, 21 December 2018, 11:16:55 »
There is nothing wrong with keeping this alive, Model Fs need homes and I still don't own a F AT, this thread essentially is daring me to spend over 200$ for one every time i look it at and regret that I didn't grab one for 100-150$ 5 years back

Offline JP

« Reply #80 on: Fri, 21 December 2018, 11:35:16 »
There is nothing wrong with keeping this alive, Model Fs need homes and I still don't own a F AT, this thread essentially is daring me to spend over 200$ for one every time i look it at and regret that I didn't grab one for 100-150$ 5 years back

Don't fret too much, they still come up for sale in that price range ($100-150) but as a BIN style listing and they sell pretty quick. I was even able to snag an F AT on eBay for $70 shipped just this year although was missing 1 key and the badge which I had replacements from a parts board.

With the AT being significantly more rare than the XT I felt this keyboard deserved it's own spotlight. I don't post every AT that I come across but usually the better deals but there are certainly dry spells as far as these coming up for sale.

Here is one for today, quite expensive but with all the bells and whistles (ANSI modded, Soarers controller, new foam).
https://www.ebay.com/itm/IBM-Model-F-AT-Converted-with-Soarers-converter-ANSI-modded-new-foam-and-more/323602397271?hash=item4b5834b857:g:ZRMAAOSw8VtcFlW0:rk:2:pf:0

Offline no, the other guy

• actually, this guy
« Reply #81 on: Fri, 21 December 2018, 17:45:02 »
I find it sad to see that so many people rape their Model Fs with ANSI Enter keys. That's like whipping toddlers.
<armin> i have the impression the only reason the mx red switch was invented was drunk people

Unicomp PC122 (review) * IBM Model F XT * Dell AT101W

Offline GCPixel

« Reply #82 on: Fri, 21 December 2018, 18:25:58 »

Don't fret too much, they still come up for sale in that price range ($100-150) but as a BIN style listing and they sell pretty quick. I was even able to snag an F AT on eBay for $70 shipped just this year although was missing 1 key and the badge which I had replacements from a parts board.

The badge is replaceable? Is it just glued on with adhesive? I got an F AT coming in the mail that has some scuffs on the badge, though I’m unsure where to source another badge without getting another board, as you’ve done.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline JP

« Reply #83 on: Fri, 21 December 2018, 19:17:24 »
The badge is replaceable? Is it just glued on with adhesive? I got an F AT coming in the mail that has some scuffs on the badge, though I’m unsure where to source another badge without getting another board, as you’ve done.

Yes, it is glued on with adhesive or some sort of double-sided tape. There isn't exactly a vendor where you can go simply add one to your shopping cart. They can be reproduced though. Something like this is on my list of things to look into further. I want to paint one of my F-AT's in rough condition with an industrial gray paint and have a special black industrial badge made up for it.

Offline ander

• * Esteemed Elder
  • I type, therefore I am
« Reply #84 on: Fri, 21 December 2018, 21:50:11 »
Don't you mean YET ANOTHER THREAD THAT WOULDN'T DIE ;D

Probably!

There is nothing wrong with keeping this alive, Model Fs need homes and I still don't own a F AT...

Sure, a pseudo-sticky F-AT thread is fine—enough people are seeking them. Rather than tacking it onto an existing thread like this one, tho, suppose we start a new one just for that, so everyone understands what it is?

Okay, I've started one. Please post further AT sales in this special AT-seekers's thread, rather than here. Thanks!

...I still don't own a F AT, this thread essentially is daring me to spend over 200$ for one every time i look it at and regret that I didn't grab one for 100-150$ 5 years back

That sounds about right.  :?)

With the AT being significantly more rare than the XT I felt this keyboard deserved it's own spotlight. I don't post every AT that I come across but usually the better deals but there are certainly dry spells as far as these coming up for sale.

See above. I wasn't throwing water on the general idea of AT-seeking; I just thought we could be more organized about it.

I find it sad to see that so many people rape their Model Fs with ANSI Enter keys...

Dude, fact is, people can and will do whatever they wish with their own stuff. There'll always be an overwhelming number of unmodified F's, so I don't think there's any danger of us forgetting how they originally were.

Meanwhile, if such mods encourage people to use great old keyboards, that's what they were made for, IMHO—tools first, collector's items second.

Offline JP

« Reply #85 on: Fri, 21 December 2018, 23:36:19 »
Alright this thread is officially dead now. It was a good run. Please vacate the premises.

Offline GCPixel

Yet Another Model F AT (Yamfat)
« Reply #86 on: Sat, 22 December 2018, 06:16:56 »
Yes, it is glued on with adhesive or some sort of double-sided tape. There isn't exactly a vendor where you can go simply add one to your shopping cart. They can be reproduced though. Something like this is on my list of things to look into further. I want to paint one of my F-AT's in rough condition with an industrial gray paint and have a special black industrial badge made up for it.

That sounds like a fun project, hope it turns out amazing!