Author Topic: Does anyone else ever get that "get outta my hobby" feeling over MK's?  (Read 7734 times)

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
I think ultimately it's grand there are so many new people to the keyboard scene in the last 3 years or so, but sometimes it just seems to have become so prolifically saturated. I need to catch myself from being like, "Well back in 2007 things were tough. You couldn't just GET a new cap set or case, nonono you kids don't even understand the roots of what we are doing here." Then I realize I'm just old and have probably been on GH for too many years.

I do miss those $10 Model Ms though

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
Re: Does anyone else ever get that "get outta my hobby" feeling over MK's?
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 05 January 2018, 15:10:00 »
I realize I'm just old and have probably been on GH for too many years.

QFT.  It's a very different hobby now vs 4 years ago.  The needs and desires of the community have shifted, and the hardships and hurdles as well.  Completely different landscape. 

It's also so much harder to keep up, which for someone used to being able to keep up, is rather disheartening.  There was a time I was aware of every single group buy being run in the western hemisphere, and could tell someone every type of switch available, for example.  It was also possible to attend / keep track of every meetup.
 Now, not so much. 

But, eh.  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯  I'd much prefer a huge growth in the hobby than a massive downturn and crash.

That's just the way it goes.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 05 January 2018, 17:45:44 »
It is rather gratifying to see interest increasing.

As a father who has watched my children grow up, there is a certain pride mixed with fear, along with the disappointment at the fact that they still feel compelled to ignore my advice and make many of the same mistakes that I did. So many times I have tried to steer them while they stubbornly walk into the same quagmires, against my advice.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline futurecrime

• Get Zooted
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 16 January 2018, 10:46:53 »
I'm late to the party but I know I would have been into this a long time ago if only I knew it existed. Gotta say you guys have built up a hell of a resource here for us amateurs, so thanks for that. And it's pretty funny when I'm searching for stuff and see posts from years ago with people saying the price of a kmac is too steep or whatever (at a fraction of what they go for now), and people generally trying to figure out wtf is going on in Korea. And seemingly everyone has filcos. And I can see the fun in it when everyone is modding coolermaster cases and stuff, all together.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 16 January 2018, 11:26:51 »
Get offa my lawn, damn punk kids!

But seriously, I'm glad to have been a part of this community since back when everything was still a new frontier. We helped forge the tools for the new generation to use and to improve upon. There are so many more options available to creators and consumers now, and we made that happen by demonstrating a demand for them. Gone are the days when every new keyset was a DCS-profile set from SP, that had to be purchased in a one-time-only group buy. There are actually storefonts which stock keycap sets and keyboard parts. There exist tools now to design and create your own custom layouts. And the market is full of artisans who make every sort of keycap imaginable.

The early days were fun, but rough, and I do have nostalgia for them. But the hobby as advanced so much in only a short time!
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline MKULTRA

• telling it how it is
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 16 January 2018, 12:47:27 »
Get offa my lawn, damn punk kids!

But seriously, I'm glad to have been a part of this community since back when everything was still a new frontier. We helped forge the tools for the new generation to use and to improve upon. There are so many more options available to creators and consumers now, and we made that happen by demonstrating a demand for them. Gone are the days when every new keyset was a DCS-profile set from SP, that had to be purchased in a one-time-only group buy. There are actually storefonts which stock keycap sets and keyboard parts. There exist tools now to design and create your own custom layouts. And the market is full of artisans who make every sort of keycap imaginable.

The early days were fun, but rough, and I do have nostalgia for them. But the hobby as advanced so much in only a short time!

Did somebody send a message to your pager that there was a thread speaking directly to old***s  :p

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 16 January 2018, 13:44:37 »
Did somebody send a message to your pager that there was a thread speaking directly to old***s  :p

No...it was telegraphy aka morse code for you younguns.
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 16 January 2018, 13:55:58 »

Not chisel in stone ?

what bout, bluberries on cave wall.. ?

Offline MKULTRA

• telling it how it is
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 16 January 2018, 17:38:24 »

tfw new*** but joined 4 months after jd  :(

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
Does anyone else ever get that "get outta my hobby" feeling over MK's?
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 16 January 2018, 17:45:26 »
Did somebody send a message to your pager that there was a thread speaking directly to old***s 

tfw new*** but joined 4 months after jd 

At least you’re pre-reddit invasion, bro

Or were you part of that first wave, like Hoffman?
« Last Edit: Tue, 16 January 2018, 17:51:16 by jdcarpe »

in memoriam

Offline 9999hp

« Reply #11 on: Tue, 16 January 2018, 18:36:41 »
At least you can recognize the oldheads. Most of us "FOR"s (Fresh Outta Reddit) have sub .5k posts, although even those newer members that do have post counts beyond that seemingly have been accepted by the community from what I can tell. In the past with different hobbies, I have generally felt similar. That's just the natural evolution of communities gaining acceptance. Unfortunately somethings- particularly the stuff you love- is generally diluted and may even corrupt.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #14 on: Tue, 16 January 2018, 19:19:14 »

Heyyyyyy  -_- 

Well hey at least I'm OG something  ¯\_(ツ)_/¯   :))

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #15 on: Tue, 16 January 2018, 19:23:54 »
Does that make me post reddit invasion? :'(

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
Does that make me post reddit invasion? :'(

It’s not a bad thing! Just a significant event that marked a change for GH from slow growth to exponential growth. I’m not just talking about membership number, either.

in memoriam

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #17 on: Tue, 16 January 2018, 19:38:59 »
The biggest seismic shift was the r00tw0rm debacle, somewhere around June 2012 as I recall.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
The biggest seismic shift was the r00tw0rm debacle, somewhere around June 2012 as I recall.

Yes, to me at least, Ripster Ban-r00tw0rm-reddit influx are three phases of one event that occurred during the mid-2012 to early 2013 timeframe.

in memoriam

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator

Yes, to me at least, Ripster Ban-r00tw0rm-reddit influx are three phases of one event that occurred during the mid-2012 to early 2013 timeframe.

Yep, early 2013 is when I joined geekhack.  :) 

I think the last phase is a direct result of the first.  Ripster's influence on the reddit community through /r/mk was huge, and attracted loads of new people to the hobby.

Offline crtexcnndrm99

• *profile image used without permission* ;)
« Reply #20 on: Tue, 16 January 2018, 20:02:24 »
Is it possible to have nostalgia for the old GH days even if I wasn't there. Admittedly I'm 'fresh outta reddit' but having spent inane amounts of time trawling old threads here from several years ago, I find the OG stuff more interesting and rewarding to find/collect. Not just bought from a store with plenty of stock, a reminder of the origins of the hobby..? who knows. :shrug:
You're a smooth smoothie, you know? ~ Gaear Grimsrud

Offline UsualSuspectXXX

• (⌐■_■)⊃━☆゚.*・。゚
« Reply #21 on: Tue, 16 January 2018, 20:08:24 »
I'm late to the party but I know I would have been into this a long time ago if only I knew it existed. Gotta say you guys have built up a hell of a resource here for us amateurs, so thanks for that. And it's pretty funny when I'm searching for stuff and see posts from years ago with people saying the price of a kmac is too steep or whatever (at a fraction of what they go for now), and people generally trying to figure out wtf is going on in Korea. And seemingly everyone has filcos. And I can see the fun in it when everyone is modding coolermaster cases and stuff, all together.

I couldn't agree with this more. I actually started on GH before I discovered /r/mk. Never posted here at the time, but discovering GH is what showed me that there was such an awesome maker culture out there for something so niche and awesome.

So thank you to all the OG's here that have helped make this community what it is today.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator

I think the last phase is a direct result of the first.

And the second phase, too.   ;)

in memoriam

Offline noisyturtle

• * Exalted Elder
  • comfortably numb
« Reply #23 on: Tue, 16 January 2018, 20:45:05 »

I think ripster moving to Reddit was the single biggest thing to increase traffic on Geekhack. Most new to the hobby had no idea GH existed until he kept posting about it. Deliciously ironic.

Offline MKULTRA

• telling it how it is
« Reply #24 on: Tue, 16 January 2018, 21:10:30 »
Did somebody send a message to your pager that there was a thread speaking directly to old***s 

tfw new*** but joined 4 months after jd 

The first big thing I remember was SmallFry passing. Talked to his mom on IRC once really sweet lady. I miss the GH IRC

Offline pr0ximity

« Reply #25 on: Tue, 16 January 2018, 21:16:31 »
I will always feel new.

I found this place through some other avenue than reddit, I think I was just Googling around after claiming all keyboards were the same for gaming. I distinctly remember finding the reddit community after GH, though I was definitely late to the party there as well.

I've gotten ~6 coworkers into building custom keyboards though, so I think I've done my part spreading the gospel.
| Flickr | KMAC 1.2 | Koala | GSKT-00-Z | GSKT-00-AEK | GON NerD60 | Jane V2 CE | Whale | J80S | Ibis | Pro2 | Pro1 | 356mini | 356CL DGE | G80-5000 HAMDE | IBM 1390120 | IBM F AT | IBM F122 | IBM 3101 | Zenith Z-150

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #26 on: Tue, 16 January 2018, 21:24:22 »
I will always feel new.

I found this place through some other avenue than reddit, I think I was just Googling around after claiming all keyboards were the same for gaming. I distinctly remember finding the reddit community after GH, though I was definitely late to the party there as well.

I've gotten ~6 coworkers into building custom keyboards though, so I think I've done my part spreading the gospel.

If it's all dudez...  We're doing it wrong..

Gotta get to dem' Females ..

and eventually it'd be like..

--Greetings Female--

Would you like check out Keyboard collection of Tp4..

Female:  Heck yea.. Tp4 so kewl..

Offline jnav

• Endgame is for quitters.
    • Macclack
« Reply #27 on: Tue, 16 January 2018, 22:37:24 »
I'm kinda sad I was late to the party but when I found GH, I was kind a like, where have you guys been all my life. I think I found GH via one of Hasu's threads, searching around for an ADB to USB converter to get my old AEK working again. That being said I've been into mechanical keyboards most of my life (and I'm not that young), just didn't know there were more people out there with the same interest.

I'm glad the OGs paved the way and made all this possible though. I'm sure it was a lot of work and there's still more to do. I think this "niche" community is going to keep growing quickly, especially as these wonderful works of art start proliferating the work place. For every 20 confused stares I get, I also get one person who's actually interested and wants to learn more. The best part is there's no telling where this thing will go. Maybe one day computers will start shipping with mechanical keyboards again. Wouldn't that be nice. :)

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
The first big thing I remember was SmallFry passing. Talked to his mom on IRC once really sweet lady. I miss the GH IRC

I still think about SmallFry at times. I miss my buddy. RIP, Nate.  :'(
« Last Edit: Tue, 16 January 2018, 22:45:48 by jdcarpe »

in memoriam

Offline Signature

• master of puppers
  • * Marketplace Moderator
  • snoozing
« Reply #29 on: Wed, 17 January 2018, 03:16:44 »
Ahh the good old days...

When I was convinced to buy a Poker 2 with brown switches, because they were the best of both worlds, both tactile, but not too tactile (they sucked)  :))

When some weird australian named catcux sold weird looking caps for 200 dollars ea, ppl are crazy...

When jcrouse had a huge sale and I didnt really understood how it worked so I outed dubs for scamming me. Had to publicly apologize after that  ^-^

When I wanted the new hottest keysets aka Raindrop and Red Alert in DCS (Still the best).

When I answered every thread in the welcome area so I could finally post in the classifieds (It doesnt count the posts in there hehe).

I miss the good old days :D
Very busy with studies atm.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator

I think the last phase is a direct result of the first.

And the second phase, too.   ;)

Haha, that very well may be true.  I don't think I've heard 100% confirmation on that, but maybe someone else does.  ;)

Oh, man.  :(  I finally took the plunge into IRC around May 2013, after I had started to make some friends on the forum.  My first experience on IRC was Nate's enthusiasm and helpfulness.  We talked about OTG cables for using a Poker with an Android tablet, among other things.  I think I only spoke with him a few times, but it was pretty clear from that and his forum posts that we would have gotten along really well.  :-/ 

I still haven't read the entirety of the post about him on the forum, just can't bring myself to read all the replies...

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #31 on: Wed, 17 January 2018, 12:59:20 »
You guyzus are missing the important issues.

/Ratio hasn't budged in YEARS..

186714-0

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #32 on: Wed, 17 January 2018, 13:06:21 »

Ratio hasn't budged in YEARS

What could possibly be the reason for that?

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #33 on: Wed, 17 January 2018, 13:28:44 »

(Attachment Link)

So, if there were 5901 active users in the past month, that should calculate to about 200 female active users.

in memoriam

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #34 on: Wed, 17 January 2018, 13:33:27 »

(Attachment Link)

So, if there were 5901 active users in the past month, that should calculate to about 200 female active users.

It sounds like a lot for 1 person,  but that's why we have Ratios, to gain perspective on the dearth of complementary participation.

Offline sncbraxsc2

• ⭐Domesticated Dweeb⭐

I still haven't read the entirety of the post about him on the forum, just can't bring myself to read all the replies...

While I invaded from Reddit years after Smallfry had passed, for the first year or so that I used GH, I was more familiar with him than anyone else in the community, save one or two. Whenever I had a keyboard related question and would search google for answers about it, I so frequently found him in the thread, with that easily recognizable avatar, answering questions and just being so energetic and positive. It makes me happy to know that there are still and will continue to be many people learning from the answers/advice he provided.

I was crushed a few months ago when I was looking up the IBM 4704 and found this site, http://kishy.ca/?p=648 with the dedication at the top and learned of his passing. The remembrance thread linked there is.. very emotional. I can't blame you, HoffmanMyster

Offline Binge

• Island of Sandy Beaches
  • * Maker
  • With Gentle Time. I Feel Very Nice.
    • Hunger Work Studio
« Reply #36 on: Tue, 23 January 2018, 01:34:01 »

While I invaded from Reddit years after Smallfry had passed, for the first year or so that I used GH, I was more familiar with him than anyone else in the community, save one or two. Whenever I had a keyboard related question and would search google for answers about it, I so frequently found him in the thread, with that easily recognizable avatar, answering questions and just being so energetic and positive. It makes me happy to know that there are still and will continue to be many people learning from the answers/advice he provided.

I was crushed a few months ago when I was looking up the IBM 4704 and found this site, http://kishy.ca/?p=648 with the dedication at the top and learned of his passing. The remembrance thread linked there is.. very emotional. I can't blame you, HoffmanMyster

qft- Hasn't been anyone like Nate since.  Maybe I'm a bit more closed off than I used to be.  Is the new breed is interested in their enthusiasm forming such lasting bonds with strangers?  The magic is not gone but it has changed its shape.
60% keyboards, 100% of the time.

"What the hell Jimmy?!  It was ruined before you even put it up there with your decrepit fingers."

Offline damorgue

• Personal portfolio
« Reply #37 on: Tue, 23 January 2018, 01:54:57 »
I hardly know any people around here anymore... sadfeels

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #38 on: Tue, 23 January 2018, 01:59:37 »

Dude the solution, is obviously to go 100% Veggie..

Offline MKULTRA

• telling it how it is
« Reply #39 on: Tue, 23 January 2018, 08:17:15 »

qft- Hasn't been anyone like Nate since.  Maybe I'm a bit more closed off than I used to be.  Is the new breed is interested in their enthusiasm forming such lasting bonds with strangers?  The magic is not gone but it has changed its shape.

that post has weird vibes

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #40 on: Tue, 23 January 2018, 09:33:35 »
Only when I get outbid :P .
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline SBJ

• Tactile pls
« Reply #41 on: Tue, 23 January 2018, 10:09:09 »

Dude the solution, is obviously to go 100% Veggie..
THIS MAKES TOTAL SENSE TO ME. BRB going 100% veggie.

Offline JP

« Reply #42 on: Tue, 23 January 2018, 10:11:39 »

You just need to be more strategic about your reviews. Like this: "...Oh these blue Alps are so scratchy and terrible...pure rubbish" so others my be less inclined to buy them. Too late for those of course  ;D
About Me | The Collection
Therapy is expensive so I buy keyboards and bike parts.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #43 on: Tue, 23 January 2018, 10:19:15 »
"...Oh these blue Alps are so scratchy and terrible...pure rubbish"

I just read that in chyros' sexy, deep voice :))

in memoriam

Offline antirip55

« Reply #44 on: Tue, 23 January 2018, 11:31:00 »
What a bunch of whiners.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
« Reply #45 on: Tue, 23 January 2018, 11:48:07 »
What a bunch of whiners.

Aw, he still cares. :-*

Thanks for playing, game over.

in memoriam

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #46 on: Tue, 23 January 2018, 11:53:31 »

You just need to be more strategic about your reviews. Like this: "...Oh these blue Alps are so scratchy and terrible...pure rubbish" so others my be less inclined to buy them. Too late for those of course  ;D
Well if I already have it, it doesn't matter that much to me :p . I don't keep that many duplicates around.
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline MKULTRA

• telling it how it is

Offline dubious

• 쏘쿨
« Reply #48 on: Tue, 23 January 2018, 13:33:23 »
mad respec
I love scrolling through the old "post your xx Keyboard" posts
« Last Edit: Tue, 23 January 2018, 13:35:19 by dubious »

Offline OfTheWild

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Make things. Have fun.
    • Studios of the Wild
« Reply #49 on: Wed, 24 January 2018, 11:48:03 »
I dunno i kinda like the influx of new people because along with it we get a ton more products being made to support them. 2017 was an insane year for keyboards in my humble opinion. Tons of custom keybaords were made, lots of new switches, huge meet ups, the biggest year for artisans as well... just massive amounts of product being sold. I feel like we're in for a price crash in 2018 though which i'm looking forward to  :))
-Dana