Author Topic: [SHIPPED] Nexus Alps slider, Nexus Top Housing  (Read 161521 times)

Offline stu-rem

Re: [Production] Nexus Alps slider, Nexus Top Housing
« Reply #400 on: Tue, 17 July 2018, 10:18:10 »
Update:
I changed the slider to include a new style click leaf protector, this should hopefully eliminate the double click as the leaf will contact a larger area just like it originally did, and I actually reduced the size of the protector to allow a bit more movement from the leaf to try and change the sound that much less.

(Attachment Link)
Just wanted to say thanks heaps for your efforts and for keeping us informed (and good luck with the new housing quote!)

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

Offline parityb1t

• 60% or less \m/
« Reply #401 on: Tue, 17 July 2018, 10:41:21 »
Update:
I changed the slider to include a new style click leaf protector, this should hopefully eliminate the double click as the leaf will contact a larger area just like it originally did, and I actually reduced the size of the protector to allow a bit more movement from the leaf to try and change the sound that much less.

(Attachment Link)

Dump question as im not as familiar with Alps internals as many are here. Would this new mold have an effect for tactile Alps (Orange, Brown, Salmon)?
Alps64 w/ Orange Alps | SatanGH60 Gartistotles

Offline BlindAssassin111

• I design keyboards and stuff.
    • Viktus
« Reply #402 on: Tue, 17 July 2018, 12:02:24 »
Dump question as im not as familiar with Alps internals as many are here. Would this new mold have an effect for tactile Alps (Orange, Brown, Salmon)?

Not dumb, I am just to familiar with how they work and forget to mention things that are obvious to me after doing all of this work.

Tactile switches are not effected by this bump, the leafs have a cutout in the middle of the part that contacts the slider, needed to clear the spring and this bump rides in that cutout as well, so it wouldn't change anything.
« Last Edit: Tue, 17 July 2018, 12:12:30 by BlindAssassin111 »

Offline parityb1t

• 60% or less \m/
« Reply #403 on: Tue, 17 July 2018, 12:06:50 »

Not dumb, I am just to familiar with how they work and forget to mention things that are obvious to me after doing all of this work.

Tactile switches are not effected by this bump, the leafs have a cutout in the middle of the part that contacts the slider, needed to clear the spring and this bump rides in that cutout as well, so it would change anything.

And surprisingly my wee brain manage to actually understand the explanation. Concise and comprehensive, thanks  :thumb:

Offline gbchk

« Reply #404 on: Tue, 17 July 2018, 20:27:12 »

Tactile switches are not effected by this bump, the leafs have a cutout in the middle of the part that contacts the slider, needed to clear the spring and this bump rides in that cutout as well, so it wouldn't change anything.

So this may legitimately be a dumb question, but have you ever experienced a double click (click on the upstroke) with un-modified clicky Alps? Because I've had a few instances with both white and blue Alps where after taking them apart and putting them back together, something gets slightly misaligned or jammed and it creates a double click. I've been wondering if somehow it's a similar issue with the Nexus sliders (and if so, have a similar solution).

Offline BlindAssassin111

• Viktus
« Reply #405 on: Tue, 17 July 2018, 20:33:58 »

So this may legitimately be a dumb question, but have you ever experienced a double click (click on the upstroke) with un-modified clicky Alps? Because I've had a few instances with both white and blue Alps where after taking them apart and putting them back together, something gets slightly misaligned or jammed and it creates a double click. I've been wondering if somehow it's a similar issue with the Nexus sliders (and if so, have a similar solution).

I have a board that has quite a few that do it, and I have never figured it out...But with my sliders if I removed the slider bump, it fixed the issue...so not 100% sure.

Offline d.caminero

« Reply #406 on: Thu, 19 July 2018, 14:25:01 »
hey BlindAssassin, how are thing coming along? Did the machining for the adjusted molds start? do you have some news? :)

Offline BlindAssassin111

• Viktus
« Reply #407 on: Thu, 19 July 2018, 15:12:24 »
hey BlindAssassin, how are thing coming along? Did the machining for the adjusted molds start? do you have some news? :)

It has been a struggle, My rep left the company(medical reasons sadly) and it is slow trying to get the new rep up and running on the project.

I have gone back and forth quite a bit, and the last I heard earlier today is the engineers are looking at it to fix the issues, and add my changes at the same time. I am still hoping it won't cost money, and if it does, barely anything.

No updates on the top housing as I was having to edit the CAD to get it how I wanted it. Still have to get a quote for it.

Offline BlindAssassin111

• Viktus
« Reply #408 on: Mon, 23 July 2018, 22:44:29 »
Update:

Still waiting on word for the cost of fixing the molds, hopefully something tomorrow...

Offline BlindAssassin111

• Viktus
« Reply #409 on: Wed, 25 July 2018, 17:40:25 »
Update:

Okay so good news and bad news.

Bad news: The slider fix quote is irritatingly high, even after explaining the situation with the repair at the same time...Cost is $1,586. I would like to talk more with them in order to figure out how to get that lower seeing as for them to fix the mold, they have to weld on it, which damages other geometry that needs to be re-machined anyways...

Good news: The top housing is WAY cheaper to fix than previously mentioned, only $1,619. So the fix is feasible and affordable.

More bad news: I can't afford to pay $3,205...So I still have to figure that out and try to work down the slider to hopefully get well under the $3k mark.

Offline iliketimex

« Reply #410 on: Thu, 26 July 2018, 00:57:57 »
Since the slider was redesigned, should you really proceed to a new final production mold or do a test first to make sure the redesign really works correctly? I also do not understand why the manufacturer will not correct the tolerance level to match what was originally agreed. They were the one's than changed it to an incorrect value. If you redesign the mold, then the entire cost is on the person redesigning. I am not trying to be critical here, just making observations. I am really surprised the manu could screw up the tolerance and not make good on it. Especially considering the only value American manufacturing has is to get the job done right, since we know it won't be cheap. If an injection mold leaves a rough spot on the slider, I can file it... it's not that big of a deal since I will be filing the top housings anyway. Hopefully things will work out.

Offline BlindAssassin111

• Viktus
« Reply #411 on: Thu, 26 July 2018, 01:11:38 »
Since the slider was redesigned, should you really proceed to a new final production mold or do a test first to make sure the redesign really works correctly? I also do not understand why the manufacturer will not correct the tolerance level to match what was originally agreed. They were the one's than changed it to an incorrect value. If you redesign the mold, then the entire cost is on the person redesigning. I am not trying to be critical here, just making observations. I am really surprised the manu could screw up the tolerance and not make good on it. Especially considering the only value American manufacturing has is to get the job done right, since we know it won't be cheap. If an injection mold leaves a rough spot on the slider, I can file it... it's not that big of a deal since I will be filing the top housings anyway. Hopefully things will work out.

They are willing to fix the issue at their cost, but are charging to machine geometry they will have to machine already, in order to fix their mistake, in order to update the mold. It is hard to explain really but basically they have to fill up the messed up area with material via welding, and that will fill up areas that don't need material, because the part is so small and welding is not precise enough. This means they have to machine the affected areas again, and my updates happen to be areas that are affected areas from the repair. It doesn't make sense for me to pay full price for the fix, if they are already machining those areas, as it actually doesn't cost them any extra, they are more just offloading the lost profit back onto me. It like getting a cake that has the wrong flavor on a layer, and asking to get the frosting changed partially when they do it, and being told that you have to pay for that change even though they are putting new frosting on anyways. Weird analogy, but it was the only thing that I could think of that may help a bit more in getting my point across.

There will not be any defect on the sliders, they just entirely machined out geometry, that I designed in, for no reason...The updates just make the final product near perfect, so that the early adopters don't get shafted with crappy parts.

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #412 on: Thu, 26 July 2018, 11:52:41 »
I understand what you are saying.  And yes, it seems as if it is of no cost to them to make your changes during the rework.  Do they have to pay someone to program the machine to make the changes?  Is that what they are trying to factor in? 

Perhaps if we could sway them to understand that a more perfected part would help ensure future business with them vs a flawed part that will not get reused down the road?

Offline MeloDet

« Reply #413 on: Wed, 01 August 2018, 17:09:39 »
I'm sure it's already been answered at some point, but are there expected to be extra available?

Offline BlindAssassin111

• Viktus
« Reply #414 on: Wed, 01 August 2018, 17:37:58 »
I'm sure it's already been answered at some point, but are there expected to be extra available?

Yes, these will be available after the GB orders are fulfilled.

Offline MeloDet

« Reply #415 on: Wed, 01 August 2018, 18:09:34 »

Yes, these will be available after the GB orders are fulfilled.

Awesome! Didn't join originally cause I didn't think I'd be getting any alps, but that novelkeys sale changed my mind :) Hope you guys manage to sort out all of the production issues!

Offline BlindAssassin111

• Viktus
« Reply #416 on: Thu, 02 August 2018, 22:16:37 »
Update:
I am still working on getting the money to fix the molds in the background, so nothing major has happened and I haven't stopped the project. Hopefully will have something in a couple weeks depending on how things go.

Also I have debated about possibly changing the color of the sliders and housings. Changing the Sliders is just a thought, nothing set in stone just a thought. But for the housings, I am most likely going to do it as they are a dark gray right now and I think I would rather make them more of a black to match the bottom housings better or to better match the pine housings which are a darker gray than what mine are. Thoughts are welcome, don't have good pictures of the housing color but the pantone color is PQ-19-4008TCX, and I am looking at changing to PQ-19-3911TCX.

Also working on fixing my car which hasn't been able to drive for over 3 months, so I am busy working on that as well...life is fun.

Offline gbchk

« Reply #417 on: Thu, 02 August 2018, 22:48:07 »
I'm all for the color change (as long as it doesn't cause any problems or delays). I think it would contrast better with the color of the slider anyway.

Offline d.caminero

« Reply #418 on: Fri, 03 August 2018, 08:19:37 »
Update:
I am still working on getting the money to fix the molds in the background, so nothing major has happened and I haven't stopped the project. Hopefully will have something in a couple weeks depending on how things go.

Also I have debated about possibly changing the color of the sliders and housings. Changing the Sliders is just a thought, nothing set in stone just a thought. But for the housings, I am most likely going to do it as they are a dark gray right now and I think I would rather make them more of a black to match the bottom housings better or to better match the pine housings which are a darker gray than what mine are. Thoughts are welcome, don't have good pictures of the housing color but the pantone color is PQ-19-4008TCX, and I am looking at changing to PQ-19-3911TCX.

Also working on fixing my car which hasn't been able to drive for over 3 months, so I am busy working on that as well...life is fun.

Thanks again for the constant updates even if there's no change in progress.
I'd like to see the housings completely black, but do as you like, I could'nt care less about the color :)

Going back to the fixes, how is the situation about you (we?) paying for things they are going to make anyway? I mean, have you paid a big quantity already? or could you just let them know that there are more manufacturers? Because what they are doing sounds very crappy...

Offline BlindAssassin111

• Viktus
« Reply #419 on: Tue, 07 August 2018, 20:44:51 »
Update:

I have been contemplating a color change for the slider and I think I have decided on the new color.

201480-0
PANTONE PQ-2368C

And the top housing will be changed to PANTONE PQ-Black6C.

The parts will look like this when together.(Had to adjust Gamma quite a bit to get the black to render dark enough but without loosing quality, so it will be darker still)
201482-1

As for funds, still working in the background but it is slow...

Offline midnight2903

« Reply #420 on: Wed, 08 August 2018, 02:40:56 »
Update:

I have been contemplating a color change for the slider and I think I have decided on the new color.

(Attachment Link)
PANTONE PQ-2368C

The parts will look like this when together.(Had to adjust Gamma quite a bit to get the black to render dark enough but without loosing quality, so it will be darker still)
(Attachment Link)

DAT COLOR
:nut:

Offline parityb1t

• 60% or less \m/
« Reply #421 on: Wed, 08 August 2018, 07:29:14 »
Update:

(Attachment Link)
PANTONE PQ-2368C

(Attachment Link)

that is niceeee

Offline Harms

« Reply #422 on: Tue, 14 August 2018, 17:59:10 »
Hello

Thinking about grabbing a Preonic with ALPs plate.

What are the chances of a R2 or extras?

Thank you :)

Offline BlindAssassin111

• Viktus
« Reply #423 on: Tue, 14 August 2018, 18:42:21 »
Hello

Chances are good. More info. will be announced when I actually have the GB orders fulfilled.

Still working on getting the money btw, haven't given up. Hopefully I will have it in the next week or two.

Offline Harms

« Reply #424 on: Tue, 14 August 2018, 20:17:25 »
Hello

Chances are good. More info. will be announced when I actually have the GB orders fulfilled.

Still working on getting the money btw, haven't given up. Hopefully I will have it in the next week or two.
Thanks Bud and good luck with everything :).

Offline BlindAssassin111

• Viktus
« Reply #425 on: Tue, 21 August 2018, 16:02:25 »
Update:

Who likes good news? No one? :( Well I guess the following doesn't matter...Jk :P

So I now have the money to pay for the mold fixes, and I am awaiting the invoice from the manufacturer so that I can pay them and get the changes started right away. I also updated the colors as stated before because I wanted a different look and never fully loved the marigold color, it was just something different at the time and I went with it.

The changes will take ~14 days from payment and then after that I will get new samples, at which point I hope they are perfect and production can be paid for right away. Production should take about 22 days from what I was quoted(quote says 18 for sliders but I expect it may be a tad longer)

So get the hype train up and running because we are back in business!!!

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #426 on: Tue, 21 August 2018, 16:28:46 »
Update:

Who likes good news? No one? :( Well I guess the following doesn't matter...Jk :P

So I now have the money to pay for the mold fixes, and I am awaiting the invoice from the manufacturer so that I can pay them and get the changes started right away. I also updated the colors as stated before because I wanted a different look and never fully loved the marigold color, it was just something different at the time and I went with it.

The changes will take ~14 days from payment and then after that I will get new samples, at which point I hope they are perfect and production can be paid for right away. Production should take about 22 days from what I was quoted(quote says 18 for sliders but I expect it may be a tad longer)

woop woop woop

Offline LightningXI

• * Elevated Elder
  • PPD
    • ArtisanMacro
« Reply #427 on: Tue, 21 August 2018, 16:45:43 »
Update:

Yaaaaaaaaaaaas

Online Rob27shred

• Insane in the Membrane! 👻
« Reply #428 on: Tue, 21 August 2018, 17:50:17 »
Update:

:thumb:

Offline jrfhoutx

• Post count is meaningless if the content is trash.
« Reply #429 on: Tue, 21 August 2018, 18:31:56 »
Update:

Hell yes!

Offline stoic-lemon

« Reply #430 on: Wed, 22 August 2018, 04:58:38 »
That's great! Hope it's smooth sailing from here.

Offline joelfong

« Reply #431 on: Wed, 22 August 2018, 12:04:51 »
Update:

Awesome! Thanks for the update!

Offline BlindAssassin111

• Viktus
« Reply #432 on: Wed, 22 August 2018, 21:28:26 »
Update:

Invoice has been paid, so the machining process will begin any day now!

Offline SJHL

« Reply #433 on: Thu, 23 August 2018, 08:50:48 »
Update:

Thanks for all of these updates!

Offline d.caminero

« Reply #434 on: Sun, 02 September 2018, 07:42:11 »
Update:

Very glad to hear that, thanks again for all your effort and the updates!
Will you let us know a timeline when you have one? Are you now waiting for prototypes again or complete production is being done already?

Thanks!!

Offline BlindAssassin111

• Viktus
« Reply #435 on: Sun, 02 September 2018, 12:04:01 »
Very glad to hear that, thanks again for all your effort and the updates!
Will you let us know a timeline when you have one? Are you now waiting for prototypes again or complete production is being done already?

Thanks!!

I am waiting for the corrected mold samples so that I can approve them and then begin production from there. I hope I get them this week, but it may not happen until next week.

Offline Hypersphere

« Reply #436 on: Sat, 08 September 2018, 14:34:09 »
@BlindAssassin111: Thanks for this. I re-read the description, which answered my question.

« Last Edit: Sat, 08 September 2018, 14:40:20 by Hypersphere »

Offline BlindAssassin111

• Viktus
« Reply #437 on: Sat, 08 September 2018, 15:24:27 »
Update:

I now have all of the stab inserts in my possession! Sadly the spacebar inserts are taller, and will need to be filed down so as to not hit the plate before bottom out, but the 2U ones were able to be fixed before that whole fiasco, and have no issues at all. In the future the spacebar inserts will be different but for this GB they will be a bit off sadly. I tested them on salmon alps with a MIX profile backspace key(MIX is the only cap that actually fits into stock alps housings without issue) and they feel amazing and work perfectly.

Still waiting to hear about the updated molds/samples, should hear back this week as this is the week of the 14 business days quoted for the fix process. The slider color will be a bit different than the color mentioned before because the factory didn't have that specific sample on hand, as it only comes in the $8k sample kit, and they weren't about to buy it just for me, which is fine. So when they get in I will take pictures and hope the color comes across nicely.

Offline BlindAssassin111

• Viktus
« Reply #438 on: Sat, 08 September 2018, 15:25:12 »
@BlindAssassin111: Thanks for this. I re-read the description, which answered my question.

...Now I wish I saw you comment before the edit, curious to know what it said, lol.

Offline d.caminero

« Reply #439 on: Wed, 12 September 2018, 17:47:35 »
Update:

I now have all of the stab inserts in my possession! Sadly the spacebar inserts are taller, and will need to be filed down so as to not hit the plate before bottom out, but the 2U ones were able to be fixed before that whole fiasco, and have no issues at all. In the future the spacebar inserts will be different but for this GB they will be a bit off sadly. I tested them on salmon alps with a MIX profile backspace key(MIX is the only cap that actually fits into stock alps housings without issue) and they feel amazing and work perfectly.

Still waiting to hear about the updated molds/samples, should hear back this week as this is the week of the 14 business days quoted for the fix process. The slider color will be a bit different than the color mentioned before because the factory didn't have that specific sample on hand, as it only comes in the $8k sample kit, and they weren't about to buy it just for me, which is fine. So when they get in I will take pictures and hope the color comes across nicely.

Glad to hear that the stabs have arrived! Can we see some pics? I understand that we will need to file them down a bit so they sit properly?

I'm eager for those pics man, hope this time everything's allright and production can start!

Thanks!

Offline BlindAssassin111

• Viktus
« Reply #440 on: Wed, 12 September 2018, 17:56:39 »
Glad to hear that the stabs have arrived! Can we see some pics? I understand that we will need to file them down a bit so they sit properly?

I'm eager for those pics man, hope this time everything's allright and production can start!

Thanks!

The spacebar ones will have to be filed, the other ones for 2U keys were fixed before being printed(another ordeal where I almost had to pay another ~$300 for no reason...).

I will try to get pictures when I get the slider samples in, want to do a single post for pictures.

Still waiting for the samples hopefully soon but not for sure when they will get here.

Offline gbchk

« Reply #441 on: Wed, 12 September 2018, 17:58:02 »
Assuming no more major delays, you think we'll get the final product before the end of the year?

Offline BlindAssassin111

• Viktus
« Reply #442 on: Wed, 12 September 2018, 17:59:42 »
Assuming no more major delays, you think we'll get the final product before the end of the year?

Yes, I am hoping by the end of next month, if not then early November. There shouldn't be any more delays unless the manu decides to charge me for another mistake of theirs...

Offline gbchk

« Reply #443 on: Wed, 12 September 2018, 18:01:37 »
Awesome! Looking forward to it, and appreciate all your hard work thus far...I know it hasn't been easy (or cheap).

Offline BlindAssassin111

• Viktus
« Reply #444 on: Fri, 14 September 2018, 16:55:08 »
Update:
Okay so the first round of samples(T0) were made last night and they needed to tweak 2 dimensions so there will be another round(T1) of samples before they are shipped to me. So hopefully next week they will get here.

Also just found out that the factory will be on holiday from 10/1-10/6 so that delays the production by a week so early November looks to be the shipping time frame now.

Offline d.caminero

« Reply #445 on: Sun, 16 September 2018, 14:23:52 »
Update:
Okay so the first round of samples(T0) were made last night and they needed to tweak 2 dimensions so there will be another round(T1) of samples before they are shipped to me. So hopefully next week they will get here.

Also just found out that the factory will be on holiday from 10/1-10/6 so that delays the production by a week so early November looks to be the shipping time frame now.

Glad to hear some news! Never thought that making injection molds could be so hard and difficult man, thanks for all your work!

Offline BlindAssassin111

• Viktus
« Reply #446 on: Mon, 17 September 2018, 14:34:13 »
Update:

Just got an email saying the mold tweaks should be done on 9/19 and then they will run the T1 samples, so probably won't get samples until next week.

Offline BlindAssassin111

• Viktus
« Reply #447 on: Mon, 24 September 2018, 17:40:59 »
Update:

Samples should ship either tonight or tomorrow depending on how the samples match the specs. So hopefully I get them this week...I am sorry for the delay but they are not the fastest at getting things done, apparently 14 days means closer to 21.

Offline tanvir175

« Reply #448 on: Mon, 24 September 2018, 21:03:01 »
Update:

Samples should ship either tonight or tomorrow depending on how the samples match the specs. So hopefully I get them this week...I am sorry for the delay but they are not the fastest at getting things done, apparently 14 days means closer to 21.

:thumb:

Offline d.caminero

« Reply #449 on: Tue, 25 September 2018, 05:21:03 »
Update:

Thanks again for the updates! No need to worry aobut them taking too long. Let's hope they get quick to you :D