Author Topic: Making new nerds / What keyboard should I get my nephew  (Read 1108 times)

Offline SidusNare

• Do, or do not; there is no try.
Making new nerds / What keyboard should I get my nephew
« on: Sat, 17 March 2018, 20:02:33 »
I am putting together an Ubuntu laptop for my nephew, full setup with external monitor, keyboard, and mouse.
My first keyboard was a Northgate OmniKey 102 Gold label, which I still have, but 1) the controller is going out on it 2) You can pry it from my cold dead hands.

Durability is one of the hallmarks of mechanical keyboards, and wanton destruction is one of the hallmarks of 10yo boys.
I guess I'm asking what people would recommend for a decent starter experience without costing to much, as it may be seen as a challenge to smash if I talk up the durability too much.

To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection. -- H. Poincare

Offline SidusNare

• Do, or do not; there is no try.
Re: Making new nerds / What keyboard should I get my nephew
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 17 March 2018, 20:04:18 »
Bonus points if it has doubleshot caps
To doubt everything or to believe everything are two equally convenient solutions; both dispense with the necessity of reflection. -- H. Poincare

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 17 March 2018, 20:16:23 »
I got my son a Dell AT-101W at about age 8-9, graduated him to a Model M at about 10-11, a Cherry 80-11900 at about 12, and a Filco TKL with Cherry blacks, O-rings, and a few custom caps at about 14. He is a senior in high school now and is still quite happy with his rig.

"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline futurecrime

• Get Zooted
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 20 March 2018, 03:58:05 »
Filco is a good call. Solid boards. Standard layout. Nice gateway drug.