Author Topic: Novelkeys/Kailh BOX Royal teaser!  (Read 9784 times)

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
Novelkeys/Kailh BOX Royal teaser!
« on: Fri, 23 March 2018, 03:25:58 »
« Last Edit: Fri, 23 March 2018, 05:06:55 by klennkellon »

Offline audax989

• NOM NOM NOM
    • Guam Mechanical Keyboards
Re: Novelkeys/Kailh BOX Navy teaser!
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 23 March 2018, 03:39:57 »
https://www.instagram.com/p/BgpSsTrAzvr/?taken-by=novel.keys

Looks tactile asf. I am excited.

you mean royal but, yeah it looks tactile af. and this is with a light spring.

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
Re: Novelkeys/Kailh BOX Navy teaser!
« Reply #2 on: Fri, 23 March 2018, 06:33:35 »
If they are that tactile I wonder how they are pulling it off. Perhaps some new innovation to create the tactility?

Offline kmba

• Formerly tameone
  • * Esteemed Elder
Re: Novelkeys/Kailh BOX Royal teaser!
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 23 March 2018, 07:34:02 »
probably just stem and plunger design. 
keyboards.

Offline Chromatrope

• Tortures arrows, murders Lshift, doesn't press X
« Reply #4 on: Fri, 23 March 2018, 07:42:37 »
Having seen the BOX Brown stem design I have a hard time believing it's doable to create that much tactility off of the nub. My money's on something different.
I dance significantly better through bullet patterns than the alphanumerics. Known to cause heart failure in touch typists on sight.

Offline chyros

• a.k.a. Thomas
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Hello and welcome.
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 23 March 2018, 07:48:39 »
Ah yes, the royals. I've been told they are indeed tactile as ****. Looking forward to trying them out!
Check my keyboard video reviews:

Offline DukeMugen

• +1
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 23 March 2018, 08:29:29 »
I would love to have this tactile as **** switch!
let me check my wallet.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #7 on: Fri, 23 March 2018, 08:31:33 »
I really want to be done with buying new things and have successfully avoided almost all the new switches but I think I'm going to have to try these out.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Offline Rob27shred

• Insane in the Membrane! 👻
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 23 March 2018, 09:09:39 »
The sound like they're gonna be be super tactile! :cool: I just hope there is a decent variety of weightings available & the heavier ones don't reduce tactility too much. :thumb:

Offline TheInverseKey

• You can run but you cannot hide!
« Reply #9 on: Fri, 23 March 2018, 09:35:42 »
Ohh boy! If this turns out to be smooth and very tactile then the next board will be filled with these. I always wanted something better than clears and be mx mount.

Offline T14

« Reply #10 on: Fri, 23 March 2018, 09:56:42 »
Super interesting. Cheers for the heads up! :thumb:
Autocorrect is my worst enema.

Offline duckboi

« Reply #11 on: Fri, 23 March 2018, 10:29:29 »
I may or may not have some samples of the box royals...  :cool: They have a really sharp bump at the top into the rest of the travel, sort of like a clickbar switch in that sense. The switch feels better than all traditional stock tactile MX switches I've tried (Zeal, MOD, browns). I don't think it feels better than my lubed 45g hhkb but I haven't tried them on a full board as I only have a few switches. I think all the hype for these switches are warranted, these feel pretty great in my opinion. Mike said pricing on these will be $0.50/switch so that makes them a pretty good option compared to zealios. I hope I can help out with any questions people may have on these.  :D
The m0ar empty you feel,  the m0ar space for Keycaps..

Offline TheInverseKey

• You can run but you cannot hide!
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 23 March 2018, 11:39:49 »
I may or may not have some samples of the box royals...  :cool: They have a really sharp bump at the top into the rest of the travel, sort of like a clickbar switch in that sense. The switch feels better than all traditional stock tactile MX switches I've tried (Zeal, MOD, browns). I don't think it feels better than my lubed 45g hhkb but I haven't tried them on a full board as I only have a few switches. I think all the hype for these switches are warranted, these feel pretty great in my opinion. Mike said pricing on these will be $0.50/switch so that makes them a pretty good option compared to zealios. I hope I can help out with any questions people may have on these.  :D

How would you say they might compare to MX Clears?

Offline Techno Trousers

• ʘ_ಠ
« Reply #13 on: Fri, 23 March 2018, 12:10:56 »
Definitely interesting. The thing I haven't liked about kailh box tactile switches (based on a single burnt orange) is that the tactile bump is too high. I mean like there is zero travel before the bump. I don't want to make too much of an assumption from the video, but this box royal looks similar to me when it's being actuated.

In any case, it will be great to have another big tactile bump option for Cherry mount. Looking forward to your teardown review, Chyros!

Offline duckboi

« Reply #14 on: Fri, 23 March 2018, 12:33:53 »

How would you say they might compare to MX Clears?

I don't have any MX clear with me and its been a while since I've tried it, but I think the bump is bigger on the royals, they are similarly sharp though. These are probably better stock but I think a good ergo clear might beat them out if done correctly.

Offline duckboi

« Reply #15 on: Fri, 23 March 2018, 12:35:41 »
Definitely interesting. The thing I haven't liked about kailh box tactile switches (based on a single burnt orange) is that the tactile bump is too high. I mean like there is zero travel before the bump. I don't want to make too much of an assumption from the video, but this box royal looks similar to me when it's being actuated.

In any case, it will be great to have another big tactile bump option for Cherry mount. Looking forward to your teardown review, Chyros!

These may not be what you're looking for then. The bump on these is right at the top with very little travel before the bump.

Offline Techno Trousers

• ʘ_ಠ
« Reply #16 on: Fri, 23 March 2018, 13:58:12 »

These may not be what you're looking for then. The bump on these is right at the top with very little travel before the bump.

Good to know, thanks!

Offline ScottPaladin

• Personal Website
« Reply #17 on: Fri, 23 March 2018, 15:11:11 »
I am suitably hyped now. I had been expecting to do a Burnt Orange build but now I'm seriously considering these Royals.

Offline a_ak57

« Reply #18 on: Sat, 24 March 2018, 11:10:57 »

Are you allowed to tell us how they differ from the other BOX tactiles in design? Like Chromatrope I'm curious if something aside from larger bump was done to increase tactility.

Offline klennkellon

• I like bottoming out
« Reply #19 on: Sat, 24 March 2018, 12:08:27 »
I am not a huge fan of the bump at the top but I would still do anything for a decent tactile MX switch.

IMO Zealios are "half-way there" because the tactility is smooth and not rough feeling but its still only half way because they're still incredibly wimpy feeling.

Offline Zobeid Zuma

« Reply #21 on: Sun, 25 March 2018, 19:28:26 »
I am suitably hyped now. I had been expecting to do a Burnt Orange build but now I'm seriously considering these Royals.

It'll have to be really good to lure me away from BOX Burnt Orange.  My absolute favorite keyboard so far is one I built with them.  They almost feel like there's a tiny paddle flipping inside.  However, I did finally get my hands on some Hako True switches, and testing them side-by-side…  I'm just not sure.  There's not a night and day difference, but I do think the Hako is slightly heavier, smoother, less tactile.  I'd have to compare two built keyboards to know for sure.  And this Royal thing…  I guess I'll have to test them.  Pretty soon we're gonna need a score card to keep track of all these new tactile switches, that's all I can say.

Offline tanvir175

« Reply #22 on: Sun, 25 March 2018, 19:32:41 »

It'll have to be really good to lure me away from BOX Burnt Orange.  My absolute favorite keyboard so far is one I built with them.  They almost feel like there's a tiny paddle flipping inside.  However, I did finally get my hands on some Hako True switches, and testing them side-by-side…  I'm just not sure.  There's not a night and day difference, but I do think the Hako is slightly heavier, smoother, less tactile.  I'd have to compare two built keyboards to know for sure.  And this Royal thing…  I guess I'll have to test them.  Pretty soon we're gonna need a score card to keep track of all these new tactile switches, that's all I can say.

From the two Box Royals I got, they're much more tactile than Box Burnt Orange. Smoother, too.

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #23 on: Sun, 25 March 2018, 20:03:22 »
Burt orange were way too heavy for me.  Too stiff for accurate typing.  And the bump was stronger on the return in a weird way. 

Are these as stiff as oranges?

Offline tanvir175

« Reply #24 on: Sun, 25 March 2018, 20:45:19 »
Burt orange were way too heavy for me.  Too stiff for accurate typing.  And the bump was stronger on the return in a weird way. 

Well, I'm a pretty heavy typist so Box Burnt Orange feels somewhat light to me. I think Box Navy's and BKE Extremes are average weight.

Haata has done force curve graphs for the Box Royals and the highest point seems to be a 67g, compared to Navy's 77g and the Burnt Orange's 60g. Based on numbers alone, Royal might be too high for you. It's very likely Mike will be doing a lower weight version similar to the Jade.

The tactility is nothing to scoff at. From using a single switch in hand, this Royal has more tactility than the 78g Zeal switch I have, which is the most tactile of the Zeal switches imo. It makes the Burnt Orange feel linear and, while that may seem like an exaggeration, I'm actually not kidding. Of course, as always, key feel is very personal and subjective so your mileage may vary.

They also have more of a unique bump than I've felt in any other tactile (mx stem style at least, not enough knowledge in alps and others).

Offline pixelpusher

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #25 on: Sun, 25 March 2018, 21:40:23 »

Well, I'm a pretty heavy typist so Box Burnt Orange feels somewhat light to me. I think Box Navy's and BKE Extremes are average weight.

Haata has done force curve graphs for the Box Royals and the highest point seems to be a 67g, compared to Navy's 77g and the Burnt Orange's 60g. Based on numbers alone, Royal might be too high for you. It's very likely Mike will be doing a lower weight version similar to the Jade.

The tactility is nothing to scoff at. From using a single switch in hand, this Royal has more tactility than the 78g Zeal switch I have, which is the most tactile of the Zeal switches imo. It makes the Burnt Orange feel linear and, while that may seem like an exaggeration, I'm actually not kidding. Of course, as always, key feel is very personal and subjective so your mileage may vary.

They also have more of a unique bump than I've felt in any other tactile (mx stem style at least, not enough knowledge in alps and others).

I had to get my orange switches out again to test because they certainly feel a lot heavier than 60g.  I think maybe you are talking about box oranges?  I was referring to the regular burnt orange, non-box. My bad.  Regular burnt oranges are 70g and certainly get heavier than that near bottoming out.  I have never tried the box burnt orange since the reported issues with crooked stems.

I will definitely be trying the Royals when they are out.  I'm a sucker for new switches... probably why I have a good 2-3 thousand different switches sitting in my closet at the moment O.o

I still don't understand box navy fascination.  I love clicky switches, but the stiffness of the click is a bit absurd to me.  I've got them in a board for novelty, but I don't type on them regularly. Jades feet sticky on the way up and they sit unused for now. Still wishing for a somehow improved box pale blue.  It's so close to perfect but just not quite clicky or heavy enough for me.  Maybe some sort of non-linear spring like in Hako switches would do the job?

I think the Hako True switches are the nicest heavy switch I've tried to this date.  They are the only current mechanical switch that I find myself actually craving to use when I'm away from my computer.  I guess I'm addicted to them.  It's not just the heaviness of the spring, but the interesting change in weight from the fast drop at the top to the rather stiff bottom.  Hats off to everyone who worked on that switch.  I hope the box royals will be even nicer.  It sure is a nice time to be interested in mechanical keyboards.

Offline tanvir175

« Reply #26 on: Sun, 25 March 2018, 23:18:34 »

I had to get my orange switches out again to test because they certainly feel a lot heavier than 60g.  I think maybe you are talking about box oranges?  I was referring to the regular burnt orange, non-box. My bad.  Regular burnt oranges are 70g and certainly get heavier than that near bottoming out.  I have never tried the box burnt orange since the reported issues with crooked stems.

I will definitely be trying the Royals when they are out.  I'm a sucker for new switches... probably why I have a good 2-3 thousand different switches sitting in my closet at the moment O.o

I still don't understand box navy fascination.  I love clicky switches, but the stiffness of the click is a bit absurd to me.  I've got them in a board for novelty, but I don't type on them regularly. Jades feet sticky on the way up and they sit unused for now. Still wishing for a somehow improved box pale blue.  It's so close to perfect but just not quite clicky or heavy enough for me.  Maybe some sort of non-linear spring like in Hako switches would do the job?

I think the Hako True switches are the nicest heavy switch I've tried to this date.  They are the only current mechanical switch that I find myself actually craving to use when I'm away from my computer.  I guess I'm addicted to them.  It's not just the heaviness of the spring, but the interesting change in weight from the fast drop at the top to the rather stiff bottom.  Hats off to everyone who worked on that switch.  I hope the box royals will be even nicer.  It sure is a nice time to be interested in mechanical keyboards.

Ahh, the speed heavy ones? Yeah, those are closer to 65g according to Haata's graphs. Although, the spring is rated to be 70g. I've only tested that in a switch tester but it's light for my tastes, still.

2-3k, wow, that's a lot. I might have a few hundred to at most 1k. I'm going to get a couple hundred of this Box Royal when it becomes available. I already love it so much based on the sample.

I'm also a pretty big fan of the Navy. I do think it can get better but so can Zealios and people praise those.

I have Hako Trues, just waiting for a board to come in so I can build with them. I've heard good things about it if you're able to type properly and not bottom out. Being a heavy typist, I fear bottoming out and not getting the best feel of these switches.

Maybe you can swap a Hako True spring into a Box Navy? They're both Box switches so I assume the springs are swappable.

Offline Zobeid Zuma

« Reply #27 on: Mon, 26 March 2018, 08:18:01 »
I have never tried the box burnt orange since the reported issues with crooked stems.

I think this has been somewhat overblown.  All you have to do is inspect your switches and remove the few that are slightly askew.  From what I understand, this can be an issue with any BOX switches, not only the brown and burnt orange.

Offline MC Qwerty

« Reply #28 on: Mon, 26 March 2018, 11:34:32 »
Tactile AF sounds good to me :thumb:
MC Qwerty

Offline tanvir175

« Reply #29 on: Mon, 26 March 2018, 12:00:27 »
I have never tried the box burnt orange since the reported issues with crooked stems.

I think this has been somewhat overblown.  All you have to do is inspect your switches and remove the few that are slightly askew.  From what I understand, this can be an issue with any BOX switches, not only the brown and burnt orange.

That's correct. The datasheet for all box switches allow a 1 degree twist as acceptable, according to Mike from Novelkeys.

It is also highly overblown, although, for Box Burnt Orange's, specifically, they were being reported at about 5% of switches which is why Kailh had to go investigating. Unless you had really bad luck, you could have just ordered like 20 more than you needed and picked out the bad ones.

Offline duckboi

« Reply #30 on: Mon, 26 March 2018, 12:22:23 »
Are you allowed to tell us how they differ from the other BOX tactiles in design? Like Chromatrope I'm curious if something aside from larger bump was done to increase tactility.

I'm pretty sure there is nothing special besides a larger bump, nothing I can see at least  :p

Offline tanvir175

« Reply #31 on: Mon, 26 March 2018, 12:47:10 »

I'm pretty sure there is nothing special besides a larger bump, nothing I can see at least  :p

in my reddit thread, I took close ups of the internals. Doesn't seem to be anything besides a huge bump. And it's seriously huge.

Offline duckboi

« Reply #32 on: Mon, 26 March 2018, 17:15:43 »
in my reddit thread, I took close ups of the internals. Doesn't seem to be anything besides a huge bump. And it's seriously huge.

It seems like the leaf is different than the other ones as well though.

Offline Techno Trousers

• ʘ_ಠ
« Reply #33 on: Mon, 26 March 2018, 17:17:30 »
Yuuuuge bump, believe me. Sorry, couldn't resist.

Offline tanvir175

« Reply #34 on: Mon, 26 March 2018, 18:15:59 »

It seems like the leaf is different than the other ones as well though.

Oh that's true. I believe someone said it was stronger.

Offline crystalhand

« Reply #35 on: Thu, 29 March 2018, 08:49:49 »
Glad I saw this post.  I was planning on ordering burnt orange switches later this week.  Going to hold off on that plan now.

Offline tanvir175

« Reply #36 on: Thu, 29 March 2018, 13:24:21 »
Glad I saw this post.  I was planning on ordering burnt orange switches later this week.  Going to hold off on that plan now.

May is the estimated time that they'll be available, according to Mike. I'm super excited!

Offline Marutks

« Reply #37 on: Wed, 04 April 2018, 14:44:12 »
How stiff are Royal switches?  Like Zealio 67g?   Or 78g?

Offline MGMorden

« Reply #38 on: Wed, 04 April 2018, 17:20:53 »
Hmm.  I've got a Magicforce kit that I was planning on building with some Zealios but I think I may just wait on the release of these now. 
Boards: Unicomp Spacesaver (Buckling Spring) - IBM Model M (Buckling Spring) - Scorpius iOne M10 (Cherry MX Blue) - Logitech K840 (Romer-G) - E-3lue Cobra (replaced with NovelKeys Box Jades) - Smith Corona 6311 (Acer switches) - Matias Tactile Pro PC (Matias Click Switches) - Apple Desktop Bus Keyboard (Alps SKCM Orange)