Author Topic: [IC] GMK Carbon R2  (Read 157027 times)

Offline T0mb3ry

• https://www.instagram.com/t0mb3ry_gh/
    • Flickr
Re: [IC] GMK Carbon R2
« Reply #650 on: Thu, 11 October 2018, 00:03:31 »
BTW, I've noticed the omission of the new R3 1.75 ^ key on the bone icon mods (I believe it's being made for Modern Dolch), I don't know if it's intentional or not.

That is not intentional because i forgot about that key. However this is also not an error. Once i review pricing for all kits, i might add those keys to the icon kit but i do not a promise.

Btw. control icon on a caps lock key looks weird.

Offline Endeavour1934

« Reply #651 on: Thu, 11 October 2018, 03:39:55 »
Btw. control icon on a caps lock key looks weird.
Yes, but maybe it's because we aren't used to it. I still believe consistency-wise it's the right one to use with icon mods. Maybe not so much for Carbon, but for example I think Yuri should benefit from having a layout without english words.

Offline Myoth

« Reply #652 on: Thu, 11 October 2018, 05:57:25 »
I heard of a reround of GMK Carbon but I didn't bother with it too much with it since GMK is way too expensive and not very novel compared to OG Cherry, but the introduction of Row F and A are novel enough for me to grab a Bone Base kit and maybe a Base Icon Mod kit. Looks great, good job to Tombery for innovating using old stuff !  :thumb:

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #653 on: Mon, 15 October 2018, 10:54:29 »
I got pricing for the kits so i got an update for you guys

UPDATE

Upgrade for Round 1 GMK Carbon
 - discarded! Yes unfortunately there will be no Upgrade kit for Round1 because the price for that kit is too high. It costs 30$ less then the base kits which offer more coverage than the round 1 base kit. So overall that kit does not make sense at all. There is also Ivory mods which do cost a lot too, but this is different compared to Upgrade kit because those can be used with other alphas (from other sets too). I am keeping Ivory mods with a slight hope for them to hit their MOQ.

Overall the initial MOQ prices for all kits are beefy but it was always the case. Tho this time the prices are higher due to the new molds and very generous coverage in the kits. The higher MOQs offer of course more acceptable prices. Anyway i expected those high prices for this round and tried always to tell you this in my previous posts.

Also one interesting fact for designers or people who are planning to make a group buy for a GMK Keyset. The Ivory Mods plus one of the Alpha extension do cost around 40$ more than the base kit at the same MOQ. So dont think about splitting GMK keyset in several kits, like it is done for Signature Plastics. GMK sets are always cheaper as one big base set.

Offline mimalik

« Reply #654 on: Mon, 15 October 2018, 13:47:52 »

A bit sad on R1 update kit, but happy that others kits are locked. Esp bone mods and orange alphas. Looking fwd to this drop n ready for hit on wallet. I know you been asked this 1K times, but any ETA when it will be available, just so that I don't spend money on something else.

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #655 on: Mon, 15 October 2018, 14:06:15 »
I know you been asked this 1K times, but any ETA when it will be available, just so that I don't spend money on something else.

There is very high chance for it to drop in November. Say in approx 16 days.

Offline KaosJ

« Reply #656 on: Mon, 15 October 2018, 15:12:06 »
I know you been asked this 1K times, but any ETA when it will be available, just so that I don't spend money on something else.

There is very high chance for it to drop in November. Say in approx 16 days.

PLS
YES
JUST DO IT!

Offline mimalik

« Reply #657 on: Mon, 15 October 2018, 15:39:55 »
Just wondering if it will be possible to add entire R0 keys for each set of alphas (beezarre/boneyard). Already alternate F keys are included, and if each of alpha sets can be added with remaining 8 F keys? Given R1 update has been canceled. It may increase price slightly as only 8 more keys will be added, but it will give full R0 rows key for Carbon R1 buyers, if they want to use these alphas with old mods pairing.

No expectations, just a friendly suggestion :)

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #658 on: Mon, 15 October 2018, 16:01:04 »
Just wondering if it will be possible to add entire R0 keys for each set of alphas (beezarre/boneyard). Already alternate F keys are included, and if each of alpha sets can be added with remaining 8 F keys? Given R1 update has been canceled. It may increase price slightly as only 8 more keys will be added, but it will give full R0 rows key for Carbon R1 buyers, if they want to use these alphas with old mods pairing.

No expectations, just a friendly suggestion :)

The alphas will be already expensive.... Also it will require more key because of numpad.
« Last Edit: Mon, 15 October 2018, 16:02:47 by T0mb3ry »

Offline thelaughingman

• Simultaneously the most starry-eyed idealist and t
« Reply #659 on: Mon, 15 October 2018, 20:49:45 »
I'll be helping out that Ivory Mods kit  :))

Offline blizzara01

« Reply #660 on: Mon, 15 October 2018, 23:24:21 »
Is there any price quote already? So I know how much I will save.  :p

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #661 on: Tue, 16 October 2018, 00:23:22 »
Is there any price quote already? So I know how much I will save.  :p

The price quotes are not public and they will be revealed only once the drop goes live. The average price across all kits will be around 90$ for the initial MOQ.

Offline mimalik

« Reply #662 on: Tue, 16 October 2018, 08:59:45 »
If you have time to kill, mind creating renders for Ivory mods with Beezarre alphas for a full size kb?

Offline Oblotzky

• Backspace is for people that make mistakes.
« Reply #663 on: Tue, 16 October 2018, 10:06:49 »
If you have time to kill, mind creating renders for Ivory mods with Beezarre alphas for a full size kb?

Already on it ;) might not be that specific layout though.

Offline Darknight00z

« Reply #664 on: Tue, 16 October 2018, 15:35:16 »
I've got GMK Iris, the tall R0 keys of the F-row raises the height of the plastic lid of the tray. The top corners with the plastic buttons don't work because of the increased height. I hope this issue will be solved, it would suck for 500+ base kits to have this issue. It seems the tray was not designed with the height of r0 in mind and makes the tray less secure.

I am happy to provide a more detailed explanation if you require, pm me.

Offline Parva Ovis

« Reply #665 on: Tue, 16 October 2018, 15:46:05 »
Also one interesting fact for designers or people who are planning to make a group buy for a GMK Keyset. The Ivory Mods plus one of the Alpha extension do cost around 40$ more than the base kit at the same MOQ. So dont think about splitting GMK keyset in several kits, like it is done for Signature Plastics. GMK sets are always cheaper as one big base set.
Sounds like if it weren't for the fact that there are two alpha extensions, it would make more sense to just merge the kits and have a third base kit. Still, I think the amount of choice in this GB will turn out to be worth the extra expense for most people.

Offline Atredl

« Reply #666 on: Tue, 16 October 2018, 15:59:36 »
I've got GMK Iris, the tall R0 keys of the F-row raises the height of the plastic lid of the tray. The top corners with the plastic buttons don't work because of the increased height. I hope this issue will be solved, it would suck for 500+ base kits to have this issue. It seems the tray was not designed with the height of r0 in mind and makes the tray less secure.

Ohhhh you mean the shipping tray. It took a minute of forehead scrunching but now I understand what you mean. At first I thought you had a keyboard cover and that it was the tray.

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #667 on: Tue, 16 October 2018, 16:08:24 »

I got these concerns too about R0 not fitting the GMK tray. So i was right in this regard. But i got already solution for it. Base kits are huge and they will not fit the tray anyway. So there will be some keys which will be packed separately from the base set. So my idea is to put all  R0 keys in one separate packaging. I will talk to GMK in this regard ;)
« Last Edit: Tue, 16 October 2018, 16:11:48 by T0mb3ry »

Offline Darknight00z

« Reply #668 on: Tue, 16 October 2018, 16:45:14 »

I got these concerns too about R0 not fitting the GMK tray. So i was right in this regard. But i got already solution for it. Base kits are huge and they will not fit the tray anyway. So there will be some keys which will be packed separately from the base set. So my idea is to put all  R0 keys in one separate packaging. I will talk to GMK in this regard ;)

Thats great! Thanks for thinking ahead.

Offline Wetherbee

« Reply #669 on: Wed, 17 October 2018, 01:45:07 »

It is a bit off topic, especially given this set uses R0 and R5, but does anyone know why GMK sets don't typically run with the windowed LED caps?

GMK Muted had them and I thought they were brilliant.

Offline OracleKev

« Reply #670 on: Wed, 17 October 2018, 01:54:10 »

It is a bit off topic, especially given this set uses R0 and R5, but does anyone know why GMK sets don't typically run with the windowed LED caps?

This was $35.  And they are not doubleshot.

Offline appaboy

« Reply #671 on: Wed, 17 October 2018, 01:57:09 »
Very excited for this, I've always wanted a set that has the full array of profile meant for cherry profile. Definite buy for me
PC Singa, MIR80, TX84se, g80-3314, g80-0427, g80-5000 + 5700, G80-3700, g81-3000 HBU (og wob)

HASRO keycaps
OG POM keycaps
SAI OG Italian dyesubs
Scarface Fn blank

Offline Endeavour1934

« Reply #672 on: Wed, 17 October 2018, 08:30:53 »

Well, technically the window is doubleshot, but since they can't tripleshot, the legend is just pad printed.  ;D

Offline OracleKev

« Reply #673 on: Wed, 17 October 2018, 08:35:44 »

Well, technically the window is doubleshot, but since they can't tripleshot, the legend is just pad printed.  ;D

It’s good that windows aren’t pad printed ;)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Endeavour1934

« Reply #674 on: Wed, 17 October 2018, 08:41:41 »

It’s good that windows aren’t pad printed ;)

I believe windows 9x keys are also pad printed  ;D

Offline ctrl

« Reply #675 on: Wed, 17 October 2018, 08:50:33 »
I too second the inclusion of Alt Gr keys. I do not care whether it's in the base kit (that's already a no from what I understand), in any other kit or as a standalone kit. It would just be so damn nice to finally be able to get a GMK keyset with the Alt Gr keys there.

IMHO, please consider including different sizes: 1.25u Alt Gr for standard layouts, 1.5u for HHKB/WKL and 1u for ortho/ergo/40%/60%-with-arrows layouts. Personally I could do without the 1.5u one, but I'm sure it's popular enough amongst others.

Offline Endeavour1934

« Reply #676 on: Wed, 17 October 2018, 09:04:56 »
I too second the inclusion of Alt Gr keys. I do not care whether it's in the base kit (that's already a no from what I understand), in any other kit or as a standalone kit. It would just be so damn nice to finally be able to get a GMK keyset with the Alt Gr keys there.

IMHO, please consider including different sizes: 1.25u Alt Gr for standard layouts, 1.5u for HHKB/WKL and 1u for ortho/ergo/40%/60%-with-arrows layouts. Personally I could do without the 1.5u one, but I'm sure it's popular enough amongst others.
I'd also like Alt Gr keys, but it's not really a deal breaker for me.

Speaking of deal breakers...
I've noticed that GMK is slowly changing the legends on some keycaps: The G from the recent hiragana keys is different, and now on Burgundy R2 I've also noticed that the legends of the symbols on @2 and #3 are clearly different from the old ones. Are they going to change any more of them?
While I understand that most people don't care about this, I personally think that some of the handcrafted symbols are kinda iconic, like the large ^ over the 6 or the stretched #, but GMK seems to be slowly replacing them all.
I think this should be a concern also for fans of old/vintage sets, but I don't really know, maybe I am the only one that cares about this  :(

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #677 on: Wed, 17 October 2018, 11:07:04 »
I just want to remind that its too late for suggestions because

Kits are locked
« Last Edit: Wed, 17 October 2018, 11:09:30 by T0mb3ry »

Offline coffeeshopcoder

« Reply #678 on: Wed, 17 October 2018, 16:17:36 »
Are all of these custom colors ? Are there GMK color codes available ?

Offline amnesia0287

• Formerly Amnesia
« Reply #679 on: Wed, 17 October 2018, 16:27:06 »

The windowed caps are printed.

Anyway, I’m very sad that all the kits are doing R0/5 with no alternative options. I was planning to get a couple bone sets, but r0/5 is awful imo. It’s my least favorite part about my iris set. I could probably deal with r5, even if I hate it, but r0 is completely unusable for some layouts, it’s a LOT taller than a normal cap. So with like 75 it looks like absolute ****.

Oh well, better for my wallet I guess.

Offline zzzaacchh

« Reply #680 on: Wed, 17 October 2018, 16:35:43 »
My orange Preonic case is ready for this. I know GMK has standard legend 1u and 1.5u modifiers, so why is assembly preferred for ortho/ergodox lately? I'm just curious.

Offline mopaska

« Reply #681 on: Wed, 17 October 2018, 17:20:43 »

Anyway, I’m very sad that all the kits are doing R0/5 with no alternative options. I was planning to get a couple bone sets, but r0/5 is awful imo. It’s my least favorite part about my iris set. I could probably deal with r5, even if I hate it, but r0 is completely unusable for some layouts, it’s a LOT taller than a normal cap. So with like 75 it looks like absolute ****.

I feel like part of this is personal preference. On a 75% layout R1 R1 for first two rows actually vexes me - it feels off, I guess because I'm seeing each row right next to each other. But on TKL where there is space between function row and number row, R1 R1 feels and looks right.

Hard to describe. But since I've never owned a set with R0, I'm not going to knock it till I've tried it. And then I will see if I find myself in the same boat as you :)

Offline elfick

• Can I get Colemak and a side of fries with that?
« Reply #682 on: Wed, 17 October 2018, 17:29:29 »

Do you have pics of r0 on a 75? That's actually why I was considering getting this but if it's no good, I may skip entirely as I'm definitely not a fan of r5.

Thanks!

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #683 on: Thu, 18 October 2018, 00:04:29 »

R1 R1 looks odd on 75%.
IMG_7661 by T0mb3ry, auf Flickr
R0 will separate it visually which will look better.
IMG_3611 by T0mb3ry, auf Flickr

Otherwise more people (there are some snowflakes who complained about it) would complain more about R1 on SA profile.

Offline ctrl

« Reply #684 on: Thu, 18 October 2018, 01:26:06 »

I'd also like Alt Gr keys, but it's not really a deal breaker for me.

Speaking of deal breakers...
I've noticed that GMK is slowly changing the legends on some keycaps: The G from the recent hiragana keys is different, and now on Burgundy R2 I've also noticed that the legends of the symbols on @2 and #3 are clearly different from the old ones. Are they going to change any more of them?
While I understand that most people don't care about this, I personally think that some of the handcrafted symbols are kinda iconic, like the large ^ over the 6 or the stretched #, but GMK seems to be slowly replacing them all.
I think this should be a concern also for fans of old/vintage sets, but I don't really know, maybe I am the only one that cares about this  :(

I just want to remind that its too late for suggestions because

Kits are locked

That's too bad. I really like the set, but for me that's a dealbreaker. :(

Here's to hoping one day there'll be a new GMK set with Alt Gr included.

Also, I had no idea the old GMK legends were slowly being phased out. I wonder if the old ones are scrapped entirely or if they are available upon request.

Offline Poesjuh

« Reply #685 on: Thu, 18 October 2018, 06:02:31 »
Alt Gr is boss can agree on that. But regular alt works for me as well :P

Offline rondg

« Reply #686 on: Thu, 18 October 2018, 06:04:24 »
How long will the drop be? I hope it's more than 2 weeks... :(

Offline Oblotzky

« Reply #687 on: Thu, 18 October 2018, 06:20:50 »
How long will the drop be? I hope it's more than 2 weeks... :(

Should be in the 3-4 weeks range

Offline Okonomiyaki#2832

• Eating Okonomiyaki
« Reply #688 on: Thu, 18 October 2018, 07:08:09 »
No more R5 upgrade kits for owners with R1 Carbon? :(

Offline jihadu

« Reply #689 on: Thu, 18 October 2018, 07:25:25 »
T0mb3ry said it would cost a lot more per key than the base sets, therefore making it hard to reach MOQ

Offline appaboy

« Reply #690 on: Thu, 18 October 2018, 07:28:09 »
Will there be any row 0 support for 1800 keys that match up with the frow?
PC Singa, MIR80, TX84se, g80-3314, g80-0427, g80-5000 + 5700, G80-3700, g81-3000 HBU (og wob)

HASRO keycaps
OG POM keycaps
SAI OG Italian dyesubs
Scarface Fn blank

Offline fn

« Reply #691 on: Thu, 18 October 2018, 08:36:41 »
has anyone tried a R5 bottom row on a Planck - is R2345 too much? Thanks!  :thumb:

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #692 on: Thu, 18 October 2018, 11:06:40 »
As i said its too expensive to make any sense.

Will there be any row 0 support for 1800 keys that match up with the frow?

Yes its there just look for row 0 in the bottom half of the base kit mock-ups.

has anyone tried a R5 bottom row on a Planck - is R2345 too much? Thanks!  :thumb:

If you look at Assembly kit (which is designed for Planck) you will see rows 2344. Usually i know Plancks only with 0 degree case but if you have angled Planck case you can use it with R5 keys from the base kit or mix of novelties and lambda keys.

« Last Edit: Thu, 18 October 2018, 11:23:01 by T0mb3ry »

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #693 on: Thu, 18 October 2018, 11:18:04 »
My orange Preonic case is ready for this. I know GMK has standard legend 1u and 1.5u modifiers, so why is assembly preferred for ortho/ergodox lately? I'm just curious.

Because Assembly is more versatile (each key can act as any key) and thus makes the kit smaller. Otherwise if i would do for example only standard labels for those layouts it would require far more keys and it will cost crazy amount of money. The current Assembly kit has already beefy price and i don't want to know how much it would cost with proper labels.

Offline zzzaacchh

« Reply #694 on: Thu, 18 October 2018, 12:30:51 »

Because Assembly is more versatile (each key can act as any key) and thus makes the kit smaller. Otherwise if i would do for example only standard labels for those layouts it would require far more keys and it will cost crazy amount of money. The current Assembly kit has already beefy price and i don't want to know how much it would cost with proper labels.

That makes sense, thanks!

Offline kolyz

« Reply #695 on: Thu, 18 October 2018, 12:45:57 »
Can we get some renders of the caps on keyboards? (I'm aware this is R2)

Offline Wetherbee

« Reply #696 on: Fri, 19 October 2018, 16:49:33 »

Is there any chance that the colors for the Boneyard alphas would match the alphas in GMK Space Cadet? They look very close.

Otherwise fantastic set as is. I can see no flaws and I'm in for all kits.

Offline Oblotzky

« Reply #697 on: Fri, 19 October 2018, 17:16:43 »

Is there any chance that the colors for the Boneyard alphas would match the alphas in GMK Space Cadet? They look very close.

Otherwise fantastic set as is. I can see no flaws and I'm in for all kits.

Nope. Carbon Modifiers (and Boneyard alphas) are color matched to SP's GQM, while Space Cadet alphas are colormatched to SP's GD. SA Oblivion uses GQM for mods and GD for alphas. So you can look at this picture to get an idea of the color difference

Offline T0mb3ry

• Flickr
« Reply #698 on: Sat, 20 October 2018, 03:47:50 »
Update

Bone Icon extension kit
 - Added missing Control keys for Caps Lock replacement.

Offline Wetherbee

« Reply #699 on: Sat, 20 October 2018, 07:39:44 »

I often wonder if I'm the only one who prefers the handbag Capslock symbol.