Author Topic: The Ecology of Keyboards  (Read 2053 times)

Offline voodoo6k

• Formerly voodoo5
The Ecology of Keyboards
« on: Wed, 02 January 2019, 21:49:44 »
Do you ever worry that our hobby is not exactly environmentally friendly?

Are you mindful about waste, circular economy, and so on?

Do you try to buy used first? What about the vanity of keycaps?

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
Re: The Ecology of Keyboards
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 02 January 2019, 21:57:48 »
Tp4 just bought a laptop he didn't really need..

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 02 January 2019, 22:13:56 »
Most of my mechanical keyboard research evolved around longevity, and useability. I've used my dinky MF68 for more than a year; in the past I would have gone through at least two keyboards in a single year.

I'd be more worried about a sport like skateboarding and deforestation than I would about e-waste via mechanical keyboard hobbyists.

Seems like most will share the love when they're bored of the hobby. Meanwhile when skateboard decks are broken they're usually tossed into the most convenient trash bin.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #3 on: Wed, 02 January 2019, 22:29:49 »
Most of my mechanical keyboard research evolved around longevity, and useability. I've used my dinky MF68 for more than a year; in the past I would have gone through at least two keyboards in a single year.

I'd be more worried about a sport like skateboarding and deforestation than I would about e-waste via mechanical keyboard hobbyists.

Seems like most will share the love when they're bored of the hobby. Meanwhile when skateboard decks are broken they're usually tossed into the most convenient trash bin.

70% of rainforest deforestation is Done for the purpose of Cattle Ranching..

The (brazil) beef cartel has murdered several journalists when awareness was being raised..

Offline voodoo6k

• Formerly voodoo5
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 02 January 2019, 22:31:30 »

That's true.

I like to keep my things for a very long time and I think that's what attracted me to mech keyboards in the first place. I'm still on my first and only mech, 5 years now.

Sometimes I do feel guilty about it, though, especially keycaps.

Offline voodoo6k

• Formerly voodoo5
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 02 January 2019, 22:39:26 »

The (brazil) beef cartel has murdered several journalists when awareness was being raised..

Yep.

and I'm not even saying keyboards have any significant impact at all... This is not a witch hunt :))

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 02 January 2019, 22:41:01 »

You'd be surprised at the sheer number of Canadian Maples that fall per year due to America's favorite love to hate youth inspired activity. But I digress

Offline ArchDill

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 02 January 2019, 22:47:01 »
I consider myself a bit too wain when it comes to keycaps. I do not get anywhere near the amount that some do but I could probably get less...

Offline voodoo6k

• Formerly voodoo5
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 02 January 2019, 22:48:49 »
If we piled all keyboards in the world, how high would they go? ;D

ignore
« Last Edit: Wed, 02 January 2019, 23:02:00 by voodoo5 »

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #9 on: Wed, 02 January 2019, 23:02:57 »

You'd be surprised at the sheer number of Canadian Maples that fall per year due to America's favorite love to hate youth inspired activity. But I digress

Which paranormal activities ?

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 02 January 2019, 23:17:19 »

snip

In 2001 it was estimated that 100k skateboard decks were sold per month (you know about tensile strength--so you'd know that some wood cuts wouldn't fit into the crisscross veneer pattern required for rigidity). I would be surprised if that number wasn't in the millions by now (as in millions of Canadian Maple skateboard decks per month).

I brought up skateboarding because it's a hobby. This forum is dedicated to another hobby. Apparently at some point in time the consumption of hamburgers and or cheeseburgers became a hobby.

Offline Findecanor

« Reply #11 on: Thu, 03 January 2019, 04:17:59 »
I sometimes worry about plastics in general, not just how it is used in our hobby.
Plastics are such wonderful materials that don't get the respect they deserve. Because they are used in packaging, people think of plastics as cheap and disposable when most of it is made from petroleum which is a limited resource.
Plastic packaging get a "resin identification code" and get recycled, but other plastics don't. Too much is just being burned, when I think that all of it could and should be recycled.

I live in an apartment block/housing society with a hundred people sharing a garbage room, and I often see electronics among "combustibles" instead of in the electronics recycling bin. People are such idiots. Because I had been part of refurbishing it some years ago I feel some responsibility for it, so I go there every other week to move things that are in the wrong bin. Again, no bin for plastics. I suppose all plastics go up in flames.

Apparently at some point in time the consumption of hamburgers and or cheeseburgers became a hobby.
Don't you dis the quest for the perfect vegetarian hamburger! ;)

Offline xtrafrood

• formerly csmertx
  • * Elevated Elder
  • wildling
« Reply #12 on: Thu, 03 January 2019, 08:50:43 »
I sometimes worry about plastics in general, not just how it is used in our hobby.
Plastics are such wonderful materials that don't get the respect they deserve. Because they are used in packaging, people think of plastics as cheap and disposable when most of it is made from petroleum which is a limited resource.
Plastic packaging get a "resin identification code" and get recycled, but other plastics don't. Too much is just being burned, when I think that all of it could and should be recycled.

I live in an apartment block/housing society with a hundred people sharing a garbage room, and I often see electronics among "combustibles" instead of in the electronics recycling bin. People are such idiots. Because I had been part of refurbishing it some years ago I feel some responsibility for it, so I go there every other week to move things that are in the wrong bin. Again, no bin for plastics. I suppose all plastics go up in flames.

Apparently at some point in time the consumption of hamburgers and or cheeseburgers became a hobby.
Don't you dis the quest for the perfect vegetarian hamburger! ;)

Fair points. I remember when Morning Star and the Burger King veggie burgers were the only options for a small town dude. Oi.. :))

Offline JP

« Reply #13 on: Thu, 03 January 2019, 09:26:36 »
Most of my keyboards are vintage which I saved from ending up as trash  :)
About Me | The Collection
Therapy is expensive so I buy keyboards and bike parts.