Author Topic: [IC] GMK Evil Dolch 😈 LIVE NOW! - New Renders by Oldcat!  (Read 77416 times)

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
Re: [IC] GMK Evil Dolch (Added Vendors)
« Reply #100 on: Tue, 02 June 2020, 08:36:36 »
A small suggestion regarding the NorDeUK kit: you may want to drop all of the sublegends on the keys. :) Currently the kit is quite large, and doing this will help reduce its size, since there are several keys that only differ in their tertiary legends and are otherwise duplicates. For example, the R4 <>, <>|, <>\; R1 2"@, 3#£, 4$€; etc. could all be removed if you decide to drop the sublegends. (The R4 <> can be dropped in either case, since it now exists in the base kit.)

And speaking of which, you can also drop the R4 \| in the base kit; it isn't necessary with the R4 <> around.

The kits look good otherwise, both in terms of size and compatibility.

Offline S3LQ

• Designer and keyboard enthusiast
« Reply #101 on: Tue, 02 June 2020, 08:40:32 »
A small suggestion regarding the NorDeUK kit: you may want to drop all of the sublegends on the keys. :) Currently the kit is quite large, and doing this will help reduce its size, since there are several keys that only differ in their tertiary legends and are otherwise duplicates. For example, the R4 <>, <>|, <>\; R1 2"@, 3#£, 4$€; etc. could all be removed if you decide to drop the sublegends. (The R4 <> can be dropped in either case, since it now exists in the base kit.)

And speaking of which, you can also drop the R4 \| in the base kit; it isn't necessary with the R4 <> around.

Hey! Thanks for this, this will help us with finalizing the sets!

Offline Prelim

Re: [IC] GMK Evil Dolch 🎯 (Added Vendors)
« Reply #102 on: Tue, 02 June 2020, 10:14:15 »
if you decide to remove the sub-legends, then the Norderuk+ addon is no longer a multiple language kit support but a "universal and defective" one, which is kind of pointless IMHO.
2x GH60 revC - lubed Linjärs 65g / lubed H1s 65g with SPRIT 5mm acrylic plate | Dolch PAC - Cherry housing / Gateron sliders 65g and QMK clips | Raptor K1 G80-1890 stock 
Floating on Cherry/GMK caps - White on Black, Classic Beige, Dolch, Olivetti, Alcatel MMK, Hellgrau

Offline S3LQ

« Reply #103 on: Tue, 02 June 2020, 10:16:47 »
if you decide to remove the sub-legends, then the Norderuk+ addon is no longer a multiple language kit support but a "universal and defective" one, which is kind of pointless IMHO.
I won't remove the sub-legends, but I will cut down duplicates and unnecessary keys I've added.

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #104 on: Tue, 02 June 2020, 15:02:41 »

While this is true, keep in mind that having a “universal and defective” kit can also mean having a kit that reaches MOQ, as opposed to one that does not. This is GMK, after all; NorDeUK kits usually reach MOQ only in exceptionally popular sets (1000+ base kit sales). I don't know if this set can reach those numbers, and for that reason, it might not be a risk that's worth taking. But at the end of the day, it's up to the runner to decide.

I would just like to recommend keeping the following in mind: Would you rather fully cover the main part your intl layout and forgo the sublegends for the less frequently used characters — or not cover it at all (i.e. only cover it with US ISO)?
« Last Edit: Tue, 02 June 2020, 15:13:58 by konstantin »

Offline S3LQ

« Reply #105 on: Wed, 03 June 2020, 00:53:17 »

While this is true, keep in mind that having a “universal and defective” kit can also mean having a kit that reaches MOQ, as opposed to one that does not. This is GMK, after all; NorDeUK kits usually reach MOQ only in exceptionally popular sets (1000+ base kit sales). I don't know if this set can reach those numbers, and for that reason, it might not be a risk that's worth taking. But at the end of the day, it's up to the runner to decide.

I would just like to recommend keeping the following in mind: Would you rather fully cover the main part your intl layout and forgo the sublegends for the less frequently used characters — or not cover it at all (i.e. only cover it with US ISO)?
Thanks! I’ll think about what I’d like. A lot og people interested in the NorDeUk kit, but reaching moq is another part.

Offline cns187

« Reply #106 on: Wed, 03 June 2020, 13:23:58 »
I am a sucker for burgundy.  I think this will be my first GMK purchase.

Offline S3LQ

« Reply #107 on: Wed, 03 June 2020, 13:26:31 »
I am a sucker for burgundy.  I think this will be my first GMK purchase.
Really nice to hear! The colors are being a bit updated, you will still get the burgundy feel, but a bit brighter!

Offline S3LQ

Re: [IC] GMK Evil Dolch 🎯 BIG UPDATE (NEW COLORS)
« Reply #108 on: Wed, 03 June 2020, 14:39:14 »
We have now updated the colors, new brighter red for accent, and legends of the mods. Also updated the white legends to a bit darker white. Other than that we have also finalized the different kits, we adjusted the NorDeUK kit, cut out some keys, and made it a proper NorDeUK kit. We also fixed a few keys on the base kit and updated colors on the deskmats. Other than that, we are working on updating the on-board renders as well! Thanks for all feedback, and I hope this is a positive change for the community!

OLD COLORS                                                                                                                                                                              NEW COLORS

« Last Edit: Wed, 03 June 2020, 14:41:32 by S3LQ »

Offline whatz

« Reply #109 on: Wed, 03 June 2020, 15:10:47 »
Still any chance to get some FR keys ?  ;D

Offline S3LQ

« Reply #110 on: Wed, 03 June 2020, 15:13:04 »
Considering we run a NorDeUk kit, that would most likely not be a thing we would add, I'm sorry. Otherwise, make sure fill out the form with you wanting FR keys, and if there is a lot of people who want it, we will consider it!

Offline whatz

« Reply #111 on: Wed, 03 June 2020, 15:14:34 »
Considering we run a NorDeUk kit, that would most likely not be a thing we would add, I'm sorry. Otherwise, make sure fill out the form with you wanting FR keys, and if there is a lot of people who want it, we will consider it!

I did ! But no problem, we will see  ;)

Offline S3LQ

« Reply #112 on: Wed, 03 June 2020, 15:29:47 »

I did ! But no problem, we will see  ;)
Thanks!

Offline riku.

« Reply #113 on: Wed, 03 June 2020, 15:34:45 »
looks clean - interested

Offline S3LQ

« Reply #114 on: Wed, 03 June 2020, 15:35:49 »
looks clean - interested
Thanks! Make sure to fill in the form if you are interested, and you will be notified whenever GB goes live!  :p

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
Re: [IC] GMK Evil Dolch BIG UPDATE (NEW COLORS)
« Reply #115 on: Wed, 03 June 2020, 18:29:29 »
You may want to include a 1.25u convex space key in the spacebar kit. This is useful for 2.75+1.25+2.25 split spacebar setups, which are very common, as well as for Alice-like ergo layouts. 1u space could be useful as well.

Perhaps four Enter novelties is too much? I'm not sure which of the two designs I prefer, but I know I probably wouldn't need both of them.

Edit: grammar
« Last Edit: Wed, 03 June 2020, 18:55:07 by konstantin »

Offline S3LQ

Re: [IC] GMK Evil Dolch BIG UPDATE (NEW COLORS)
« Reply #116 on: Thu, 04 June 2020, 00:48:48 »
You may want to include a 1.25u convex space key in the spacebar kit. This is useful for 2.75+1.25+2.25 split spacebar setups, which are very common, as well as for Alice-like ergo layouts. 1u space could be useful as well.

Perhaps four Enter novelties is too much? I'm not sure which of the two designs I prefer, but I know I probably wouldn't need both of them.

Edit: grammar
That’s true! I will look into this and look for better sulitions!  :p

Offline Prelim

« Reply #117 on: Thu, 04 June 2020, 03:39:15 »
since we went from Nordeuk++ to normal Nordeuk to make a $10 cheaper kit (sacrificing 13 caps for the remaining languages support), I no longer have interest on this. sorry!
2x GH60 revC - lubed Linjärs 65g / lubed H1s 65g with SPRIT 5mm acrylic plate | Dolch PAC - Cherry housing / Gateron sliders 65g and QMK clips | Raptor K1 G80-1890 stock 
Floating on Cherry/GMK caps - White on Black, Classic Beige, Dolch, Olivetti, Alcatel MMK, Hellgrau

Offline S3LQ

« Reply #118 on: Thu, 04 June 2020, 07:32:02 »
since we went from Nordeuk++ to normal Nordeuk to make a $10 cheaper kit (sacrificing 13 caps for the remaining languages support), I no longer have interest on this. sorry!
That's sad to hear, I'm trying to adjust it to bigger groups than each individual. Sorry it doesn't fit you  :confused:

Offline TalkingTree

• My projects
« Reply #119 on: Thu, 04 June 2020, 10:08:45 »
Agreed. The extra cost was on the buyer anyway.
My opensource projects: GH80-3000, TOAD, XMMX. Classified: stuff

Offline S3LQ

« Reply #120 on: Thu, 04 June 2020, 10:10:44 »
We are working on this, if this is something the community really want, we could add these extra keys if you would like:

Offline S3LQ

« Reply #121 on: Thu, 04 June 2020, 10:11:46 »
Would this be a better option for you?

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #122 on: Thu, 04 June 2020, 10:12:02 »

Whom the extra cost is on doesn't matter if the kit can't make MOQ.

Offline TalkingTree

• My projects
« Reply #123 on: Thu, 04 June 2020, 10:17:59 »
Show Image

What's really missing is the R4 angled brackets in a mod colour to complement the short left shift. I won't ever get full italian support, let alone the 142 layout, on NorDeUK kit but I can live with the missing keys.

Offline Prelim

« Reply #124 on: Thu, 04 June 2020, 10:41:12 »
honestly I think people who presumably would buy the Norde kits, will buy it either if is cost less $10 or more $10. So I think a regular Nordeuk++ addon (like the one previously run by @RETURNISO and which cover more languages) would be a better choice for everyone and also can contribute to have more interesteds from the different countries.

but then, if most of the people have a different opinion please go ahead with the shorter Nordeuk addon!

Offline S3LQ

« Reply #125 on: Thu, 04 June 2020, 10:46:17 »
Show Image

What's really missing is the R4 angled brackets in a mod colour to complement the short left shift. I won't ever get full italian support, let alone the 142 layout, on NorDeUK kit but I can live with the missing keys.
Hey! That's fixed now! Will update any time soon   :p
« Last Edit: Thu, 04 June 2020, 10:48:24 by S3LQ »

Offline S3LQ

« Reply #126 on: Fri, 05 June 2020, 12:58:27 »
honestly I think people who presumably would buy the Norde kits, will buy it either if is cost less $10 or more $10. So I think a regular Nordeuk++ addon (like the one previously run by @RETURNISO and which cover more languages) would be a better choice for everyone and also can contribute to have more interesteds from the different countries.

but then, if most of the people have a different opinion please go ahead with the shorter Nordeuk addon!
You have a point! I will look more into this for sure  ^-^

Offline DocWavy

Re: [IC] GMK Evil Dolch 🎯 Updated
« Reply #127 on: Fri, 05 June 2020, 13:41:13 »
Interested for sure!

Offline S3LQ

« Reply #128 on: Fri, 05 June 2020, 13:41:55 »

Offline S3LQ

« Reply #129 on: Sat, 06 June 2020, 06:24:59 »
We are still taking feedback! So if you got any feedback or if you just want to show interest make sure to fill out the form: https://forms.gle/WnBdnxoVCtGGyPdE6 - Everyone that fills out the form will get notified when GB goes live with an email! Thanks  :p

Offline Agilr

• Never stop achieving
    • Discord Server
« Reply #130 on: Sat, 06 June 2020, 06:54:38 »
Sending my support :p

Offline S3LQ

« Reply #131 on: Sat, 06 June 2020, 06:57:02 »

Offline depletedvespene

• Old, used-up vespene geyser.
    • Keyboard-related resources.
« Reply #132 on: Sat, 06 June 2020, 17:56:51 »

Actually, not dropped, but moved to the NorDeUK kit — as it stands now, neither kit has the R4 \| key, which IS needed for the English (UK) layout.

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #133 on: Sat, 06 June 2020, 18:34:20 »
Actually, not dropped, but moved to the NorDeUK kit — as it stands now, neither kit has the R4 \| key, which IS needed for the English (UK) layout.

Yep, that key does seem to be missing at the moment. Also, the R4 <> in base should be alpha-colored.

Offline S3LQ

« Reply #134 on: Sat, 06 June 2020, 21:43:10 »

Yep, that key does seem to be missing at the moment. Also, the R4 <> in base should be alpha-colored.
I added new alpha colored <> in base now

Offline S3LQ

« Reply #135 on: Sat, 06 June 2020, 21:44:12 »

Hey! Would this be right? Added a \| for r4 now in the base

Offline TalkingTree

• My projects
« Reply #136 on: Sun, 07 June 2020, 00:51:11 »
Show Image

R1 Pipe/backslash in mod colour should also be provided. You can safely move that and the R4 angled brackets to the NorDeUK.

Offline trashwater

« Reply #137 on: Sun, 07 June 2020, 00:54:31 »
i've been looking for a GMK set like this, great job on it too. can't wait to see it for sale!

Offline S3LQ

« Reply #138 on: Sun, 07 June 2020, 04:04:52 »
i've been looking for a GMK set like this, great job on it too. can't wait to see it for sale!
Thanks!

Offline S3LQ

« Reply #139 on: Sun, 07 June 2020, 04:10:44 »
Show Image

R1 Pipe/backslash in mod colour should also be provided. You can safely move that and the R4 angled brackets to the NorDeUK.
Base kit updated!
« Last Edit: Sun, 07 June 2020, 05:26:55 by S3LQ »

Offline depletedvespene

« Reply #140 on: Sun, 07 June 2020, 08:12:12 »

Show Image

Excellent. You're leaving me no room to complain!!! :D :D :D

Okay, almost no room. :D 

Those that follow are small observations, so they're all in the "consider them, but don't feel obligated to comply" category.

- NorDeUk kit: consider adding a numpad comma keycap (as is the standard in the German, Danish, Norwegian and Swedish/Finnish layouts).

- This might be just a rendering issue: The double quote characters in the '" (base kit) and 2" (NorDeUK) keys are adirectional, but in the 2"² and 2"@ in the NorDeUK kit are directional; just make sure they are all adirectional (as already are all the single quotes).

- Consider adding one more R4 1.25u key, whether it's a convex blank in the space bar module or a "Menu" or (better) "Sys", "Meta" or "Super" key in the base kit. Why? Future-proofing!

The HMKB group buy, which just closed, has (among other options) a TKL layouts where the 6.25U space bar is split in the usual manner (2.25+1.25+2.75), which requires eight 1.25U keys in the bottom row instead of the usual seven all keycap sets provide. As far as I know, Maarten's Eon87 PCB is the first one to do so, but if this innovation does become popular, "shortages" will become an issue; in sets with common colors (think U9+L9 or Wob), this will be easily solved, but in sets with custom colors, it might be quite more of a problem.

When does the GB start? My wallet is crying here. :thumb:

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #141 on: Sun, 07 June 2020, 09:42:10 »
Show Image

Sorry, but this is not quite right. The mod-colored R4 <> key should be removed (it's an alpha key). The R4 \| key should be moved from base to the international kit, where all of the other ISO-UK keys are.

In summary, the base kit should contain alpha R3 \| and alpha R4 <> only; the international kit should contain alpha R4 \| and everything else it already does.

Edit: Reference image:

« Last Edit: Sun, 07 June 2020, 09:52:39 by konstantin »

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #142 on: Sun, 07 June 2020, 09:45:54 »
- Consider adding one more R4 1.25u key, whether it's a convex blank in the space bar module or a "Menu" or (better) "Sys", "Meta" or "Super" key in the base kit. Why? Future-proofing!

The HMKB group buy, which just closed, has (among other options) a TKL layouts where the 6.25U space bar is split in the usual manner (2.25+1.25+2.75), which requires eight 1.25U keys in the bottom row instead of the usual seven all keycap sets provide. As far as I know, Maarten's Eon87 PCB is the first one to do so, but if this innovation does become popular, "shortages" will become an issue; in sets with common colors (think U9+L9 or Wob), this will be easily solved, but in sets with custom colors, it might be quite more of a problem.

I don't think that's the right approach. You cover this by adding a 1.25u space key to the spacebars kit (which the OP should do), not adding more 1.25u keys to the base kit.

Offline S3LQ

« Reply #143 on: Sun, 07 June 2020, 09:54:32 »
Show Image

Sorry, but this is not quite right. The mod-colored R4 <> key should be removed (it's an alpha key). The R4 \| key should be moved from base to the international kit, where all of the other ISO-UK keys are.

In summary, the base kit should contain alpha R3 \| and alpha R4 <> only; the international kit should contain alpha R4 \| and everything else it already does.

Show Image

Alright, thanks! Will fix straight away

Offline depletedvespene

« Reply #144 on: Sun, 07 June 2020, 09:57:31 »

I don't think that's the right approach. You cover this by adding a 1.25u space key to the spacebars kit (which the OP should do), not adding more 1.25u keys to the base kit.

That's why I said "whether it's a convex blank in the space bar module" first.

Offline S3LQ

« Reply #145 on: Sun, 07 June 2020, 10:04:40 »
Show Image

Show Image

Updated base and inter kit on the post now!

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #146 on: Sun, 07 June 2020, 10:08:57 »
:thumb:
You may want to double-check the NordeUK kit image, it still isn't showing a R4 \| for me.

That's why I said "whether it's a convex blank in the space bar module" first.
All good :thumb: I felt it would be worth emphasizing the spacebars kit part.

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #148 on: Sun, 07 June 2020, 10:10:53 »
Now you have R4 <> in both kits.

Ah, he possibly added a R4 <> instead of R4 \|, that would explain why I'm not seeing a R4 \| in NorDeUK. Should be easy enough to fix, just change the <> to \|.

Offline S3LQ

« Reply #149 on: Sun, 07 June 2020, 10:11:26 »
:thumb:
You may want to double-check the NordeUK kit image, it still isn't showing a R4 \| for me.

I added the <> instead of \|, silly me  :p