Author Topic: [IC] GMK Evil Dolch 😈 LIVE NOW! - New Renders by Oldcat!  (Read 77019 times)

Offline S3LQ

• Designer and keyboard enthusiast
Re: [IC] GMK Evil Dolch (Added Vendors)
« Reply #150 on: Sun, 07 June 2020, 10:18:04 »
Now you have R4 <> in both kits.

Ah, he possibly added a R4 <> instead of R4 \|, that would explain why I'm not seeing a R4 \| in NorDeUK. Should be easy enough to fix, just change the <> to \|.
Yep, now it's updated!  :))

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #151 on: Sun, 07 June 2020, 10:20:22 »
Yep, now it's updated!  :))

Looks good :thumb: Now please also consider depletedvespene's suggestion of adding a convex 1.25u key to the spacebars kit.

Offline S3LQ

« Reply #152 on: Sun, 07 June 2020, 10:41:12 »
- Consider adding one more R4 1.25u key, whether it's a convex blank in the space bar module or a "Menu" or (better) "Sys", "Meta" or "Super" key in the base kit. Why? Future-proofing!

The HMKB group buy, which just closed, has (among other options) a TKL layouts where the 6.25U space bar is split in the usual manner (2.25+1.25+2.75), which requires eight 1.25U keys in the bottom row instead of the usual seven all keycap sets provide. As far as I know, Maarten's Eon87 PCB is the first one to do so, but if this innovation does become popular, "shortages" will become an issue; in sets with common colors (think U9+L9 or Wob), this will be easily solved, but in sets with custom colors, it might be quite more of a problem.

I don't think that's the right approach. You cover this by adding a 1.25u space key to the spacebars kit (which the OP should do), not adding more 1.25u keys to the base kit.

That's why I said "whether it's a convex blank in the space bar module" first.
It's now added in the spacebar kit!

Offline S3LQ

Re: [IC] GMK Evil Dolch 🎯 NAME SUGGESTION FORM!
« Reply #153 on: Tue, 09 June 2020, 18:28:13 »
So we've been thinking of changing name and branding again. Zoom didn't work out, and people seem to disagree on Dolch being used for this set. So we are open to change name again. But this time we want input from the community! We've would like to include "Evil" in the name, as we feel like it represents the set well, we will also be adding more "evil" novelties, and do some small updates.

We have come up with a few name suggestions you can choose in between, but you are also allowed to come with new suggestions! All feedback and votes are very much appreciated!

https://forms.gle/H1KUdP3QVgLDcKkK6

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
Re: [IC] GMK Evil Dolch NAME SUGGESTION FORM!
« Reply #154 on: Tue, 09 June 2020, 18:34:06 »
I think Evil Dolch works better than any of those alternative names, if I'm being honest. If you really want to change the name, maybe Orc Fortress, or something to that effect, could work? Though I guess that name doesn't fit in with the existing theme/novelties.

On an unrelated note, have you considered offering a red-on-black alphas kit? I think this set would look good in an all RoB configuration.
« Last Edit: Tue, 09 June 2020, 18:35:38 by konstantin »

Offline S3LQ

Re: [IC] GMK Evil Dolch 😈 NAME SUGGESTION FORM!
« Reply #155 on: Tue, 09 June 2020, 18:37:43 »
I think Evil Dolch works better than any of those alternative names, if I'm being honest. If you really want to change the name, maybe Orc Fortress, or something to that effect, could work?

On an unrelated note, have you considered offering a red-on-black alphas kit? I think this set would look good in an all RoB configuration.
I tend to like Evil Dolch as well, but in the long run, having dolch as a part of the name for this set might not be the smartest considering a lot of people in the community (including big names) says it's not a dolch set.

But over to RoB, we've been considering it, but feedback wise, there is not enough interest for us to take a grip and design it for now. If this is something more people bring up, this is for sure being considered!

Offline IOVERCALLHISTIOCYTES

« Reply #156 on: Tue, 09 June 2020, 21:26:34 »
A lotta big names bicker about icon mods for a page and a half, or a key w a big X on it, and I think there was more discussion about the appropriateness of dolch naming for modern light than there was here. I bet you can shark up an equivalent number of people who have issues with other aspects vs the name.

Shoot your shot

Offline S3LQ

« Reply #157 on: Wed, 10 June 2020, 05:13:47 »
A lotta big names bicker about icon mods for a page and a half, or a key w a big X on it, and I think there was more discussion about the appropriateness of dolch naming for modern light than there was here. I bet you can shark up an equivalent number of people who have issues with other aspects vs the name.

Shoot your shot
Thanks for the input!  :-*

Offline depletedvespene

• Old, used-up vespene geyser.
    • Keyboard-related resources.
« Reply #158 on: Wed, 10 June 2020, 09:33:56 »

I think in that case there was much more of an uproar because a) it was the FIRST egregious abuse of the name on record ; b) it was QUITE an egregious abuse of the name ; c) it was from a designer who was expected to know better in the first place.

In this case... a) "Evil Dolch" is nowhere as bad as "Dolch light"; b) there is already precedent... not that it SHOULD be followed.

If the thread starter is willing to renaming the set, I'll applaud him for it (and will try to come up with a good name myself, to add to the pool of suggestions).

Offline S3LQ

« Reply #159 on: Wed, 10 June 2020, 09:39:48 »

I think in that case there was much more of an uproar because a) it was the FIRST egregious abuse of the name on record ; b) it was QUITE an egregious abuse of the name ; c) it was from a designer who was expected to know better in the first place.

In this case... a) "Evil Dolch" is nowhere as bad as "Dolch light"; b) there is already precedent... not that it SHOULD be followed.

If the thread starter is willing to renaming the set, I'll applaud him for it (and will try to come up with a good name myself, to add to the pool of suggestions).
Personally I don't want to change the name, but I like to listen to the community, and as it looks now, Evil Dolch is still the name people want considering the people who've filled out the form. So no changes will be done atm.

Offline fropsie

« Reply #160 on: Wed, 10 June 2020, 23:47:45 »
I know I gave you the suggestion to change the name, and gave you examples like "Hitman" and "Yakuza" to match your theme, but come on now. Having multiple options for a new name AND putting Evil dolch as a name, which is also the top of the list, is a poor way to do it and in bad taste. You keep on pushing the Evil Dolch despite multiple people telling you to do otherwise, and I think this is a bad play. Hopefully me putting this message here, in the public, will further help you make the appropriate name change.
I want to add, of course people will vote for evil dolch as a name, since the rest of the names seem very forced and half assed. You seem to be avoiding names that are far more appropriate for this set in order to stick with Evil Dolch. Please, don't treat the name Dolch like this, even though most of the newbies don't respect it nor value it doesn't mean that the rest of this community does too.
« Last Edit: Wed, 10 June 2020, 23:49:34 by fropsie »

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
Re: [IC] GMK Evil Dolch NAME SUGGESTION FORM!
« Reply #161 on: Thu, 11 June 2020, 00:05:02 »
I know I gave you the suggestion to change the name, and gave you examples like "Hitman" and "Yakuza" to match your theme, but come on now. Having multiple options for a new name AND putting Evil dolch as a name, which is also the top of the list, is a poor way to do it and in bad taste. You keep on pushing the Evil Dolch despite multiple people telling you to do otherwise, and I think this is a bad play. Hopefully me putting this message here, in the public, will further help you make the appropriate name change.
I want to add, of course people will vote for evil dolch as a name, since the rest of the names seem very forced and half assed. You seem to be avoiding names that are far more appropriate for this set in order to stick with Evil Dolch. Please, don't treat the name Dolch like this, even though most of the newbies don't respect it nor value it doesn't mean that the rest of this community does too.

Tbh, this is way dolchier than certain sets that had “Dolch” in their names have been. I don't see anything terribly wrong with the current name. If you do, maybe you oughta take the “Dolch” name altogether a bit less seriously.

That being said, “Hitman” is a very good suggestion. Some of the novelties even match iconography from the Hitman games perfectly. I support that suggestion fully, and I think it's a better match for the set than the current name (even though I have nothing against it).

Offline S3LQ

« Reply #162 on: Sat, 13 June 2020, 15:48:17 »
Hey everyone! We are currently working on the set and we are switching to stock colors! Updates will come out later today or tomorrow, new renders of the kits and on-board renders! The price will be reduced by like 30% and MOQ lower. So think this is the right move! The set will still have that evil dark look, so don't worry!  :p We are also close to sending in a quote and I'll update you guys on GB date anytime soon!  ;D

Offline S3LQ

Re: [IC] GMK Evil Dolch 😈 STOCK COLORS UPDATE!
« Reply #163 on: Sun, 14 June 2020, 13:57:58 »
Big Update

Hey everyone! We've recently done big changes, we decided we wanted to switch over to GMK stock colors, so we've gone through samples and found fitting colors which will still represent the Evil and Dolch theme in our set. We've reworked all the renders, with new background for kit renders, new stock colors, and fixed around with the lightning to make it even more realistic! Last we changed the kanji letter novelty to an evil face novelty which represents the theme better. We also decided to use that for our deskmat design. I hope this is something the community reacts positively to and respect our changes. Other than this, a quote will be sent in during this upcoming week. And prices will be revealed any time soon! Thanks!

Offline IOVERCALLHISTIOCYTES

« Reply #164 on: Sun, 14 June 2020, 14:29:10 »
I love N9s mix n match ability with the half dozen other sets (Nines, terminal, sky dolch, skidata, eclipse, dark, what else am I missing)

Offline S3LQ

« Reply #165 on: Sun, 14 June 2020, 14:48:47 »
I love N9s mix n match ability with the half dozen other sets (Nines, terminal, sky dolch, skidata, eclipse, dark, what else am I missing)
Yeah, seems to fit very well with other colors!

Offline Prelim

« Reply #166 on: Sun, 14 June 2020, 15:44:13 »
is the Nordeuk kit already closed or a Nordeuk++ is still possible?
2x GH60 revC - lubed Linjärs 65g / lubed H1s 65g with SPRIT 5mm acrylic plate | Dolch PAC - Cherry housing / Gateron sliders 65g and QMK clips | Raptor K1 G80-1890 stock 
Floating on Cherry/GMK caps - White on Black, Classic Beige, Dolch, Olivetti, Alcatel MMK, Hellgrau

Offline S3LQ

« Reply #167 on: Sun, 14 June 2020, 15:50:28 »
is the Nordeuk kit already closed or a Nordeuk++ is still possible?
For this run this is the Nordeuk kit we're running, I'm sorry if it doesn't support your needs. If a new round will happen this is something we could look into!

Offline DiscoCrocodile

« Reply #168 on: Mon, 15 June 2020, 20:40:12 »
Stopping by to say: Nice update!

Offline Ennead

« Reply #169 on: Tue, 16 June 2020, 14:57:08 »
Really nice, the swirly deskmat is also great. Will definitely keep an eye on this.

Offline S3LQ

« Reply #170 on: Wed, 17 June 2020, 12:23:54 »
Stopping by to say: Nice update!
Thanks disco!  :-*

Offline arnlee30

« Reply #171 on: Thu, 18 June 2020, 01:34:05 »
What are the dimensions of the desk mat? Is it made of cloth? Soft or hard? Overall, the keycaps are looking amazing.

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
Re: [IC] GMK Evil Dolch STOCK COLORS UPDATE!
« Reply #172 on: Thu, 18 June 2020, 05:02:12 »
What are the dimensions of the desk mat? Is it made of cloth? Soft or hard? Overall, the keycaps are looking amazing.

Most standard deskmats are 900×400 mm and either 3 or 4 mm thick. They're made out of soft cloth with a non-slip rubber backing and stitched edges. Here are some specs from Kono's website (assuming they will be the deskmat supplier for this GB):

Offline S3LQ

Re: [IC] GMK Evil Dolch STOCK COLORS UPDATE!
« Reply #173 on: Thu, 18 June 2020, 20:29:09 »

Most standard deskmats are 900×400 mm and either 3 or 4 mm thick. They're made out of soft cloth with a non-slip rubber backing and stitched edges. Here are some specs from Kono's website (assuming they will be the deskmat supplier for this GB):

Show Image

Sorry for the late answer, but thanks! This is the right info about the deskmats, kono will be the supplier for the deskmats!  :p

Offline Mekanist

• Archetype
« Reply #174 on: Thu, 18 June 2020, 21:43:26 »
Looks really good! I wonder how it might look with slightly darker alpha legends. either way, definitely interested.

Offline the pokemon kid

• Snorlax z z z
« Reply #175 on: Thu, 18 June 2020, 22:16:43 »
Looks really good! I wonder how it might look with slightly darker alpha legends. either way, definitely interested.

I agree, either a light grey for the legend or the same red on the legends of the modifiers.

Offline KRY2SOON

• Divine Studios
« Reply #176 on: Fri, 19 June 2020, 00:28:16 »
Holy **** those desk mats are nice-

Offline Lenux

« Reply #177 on: Fri, 19 June 2020, 00:54:52 »
I love this keycap set !

Maybe one day the same but in blue :crossfingers:

Offline S3LQ

« Reply #178 on: Fri, 19 June 2020, 05:55:41 »
I love this keycap set !

Maybe one day the same but in blue :crossfingers:
Hey! Glad you liked it! A blue version could be really cool for the feature! But would be similar to GMK Sky Dolch

Offline S3LQ

« Reply #179 on: Sat, 20 June 2020, 12:01:32 »
Holy **** those desk mats are nice-
Glad you like them  :cool:

Offline msv

« Reply #180 on: Sun, 21 June 2020, 02:15:17 »
Ahhhhhh I already told myself I'm done with keycaps for the year...but okay I'm in.  :'(

ILUMKB as a SEA proxy please?

Offline S3LQ

« Reply #181 on: Sun, 21 June 2020, 07:53:07 »
Ahhhhhh I already told myself I'm done with keycaps for the year...but okay I'm in.  :'(

ILUMKB as a SEA proxy please?
Hey! Glad you like it  :) We are currently in talk with Asian vendors, will update whenever it's been settled!

Offline RETURNISO

• I do get excited about keyboard stuff..
« Reply #182 on: Sun, 21 June 2020, 15:47:59 »
Noice, this just got a level up with the updated stock colors :thumb:
Oof N9 with Norde and WS1 + RO1 On CR mods, superkul :cool:

Offline S3LQ

« Reply #183 on: Sun, 21 June 2020, 15:54:43 »
Noice, this just got a level up with the updated stock colors :thumb:
Oof N9 with Norde and WS1 + RO1 On CR mods, superkul :cool:
very glad you like it!

Offline S3LQ

« Reply #184 on: Wed, 24 June 2020, 14:07:25 »
Quote has arrived!Will update with pricing and GB date very soon!

Offline S3LQ

Re: [IC] GMK Evil Dolch 😈 All vendors revealed!
« Reply #185 on: Fri, 26 June 2020, 05:58:17 »
All vendors are ready to take on this project! I'm happy to announce KBDfans as our Asian vendor, and Mekanisk as our Norwegian vendor! Prices and GB date are right around the corner! Stay tuned :D

Offline S3LQ

Re: [IC] GMK Evil Dolch 😈 GB: July 22nd - PRICES REVEALED
« Reply #186 on: Fri, 26 June 2020, 13:43:37 »
Hello everyone! We've not set a GB date and prices are set!

GB goes live July 22nd

Here are the following vendors and prices:

Offline Balloz

• Hardcore keyboard enthusiast
« Reply #187 on: Mon, 29 June 2020, 08:05:21 »
Hello everyone! We've not set a GB date and prices are set!

GB goes live July 22nd

Here are the following vendors and prices:
Show Image
I can't wait! ;D

Offline GergWorst

« Reply #188 on: Tue, 30 June 2020, 04:39:41 »
Really nice!! All the best for GB!

Offline S3LQ

« Reply #189 on: Tue, 30 June 2020, 16:13:51 »
Really nice!! All the best for GB!
Thanks!

Offline msv

« Reply #190 on: Thu, 02 July 2020, 08:18:34 »
This uses N9 for the alphas right? Can I ask what the mods use?

Offline S3LQ

« Reply #191 on: Thu, 02 July 2020, 08:33:48 »
N9 for alphas and CR for mods!

Offline xc0mr4de

« Reply #192 on: Fri, 03 July 2020, 22:48:01 »
is there a way I can buy just the modifiers kit?

Offline deliciousmango

« Reply #193 on: Sat, 04 July 2020, 00:31:38 »
Love the colors but that white text stands out like hell. Will there be a version with full RO1 colored text instead of the partial WS1 and RO1?

Offline msv

« Reply #194 on: Sat, 04 July 2020, 03:36:05 »
N9 for alphas and CR for mods!

Perfect. Was planning on mixing the GMK ThinkCaps novelties with it.

Offline FireLock

« Reply #195 on: Sun, 05 July 2020, 02:24:30 »
Lovely set, hopefully I can support a fellow Scandinavian when the set goes live !

Skickat från min SM-G960F via Tapatalk

Offline S3LQ

« Reply #196 on: Mon, 06 July 2020, 11:03:14 »
Lovely set, hopefully I can support a fellow Scandinavian when the set goes live !

Skickat från min SM-G960F via Tapatalk
Thanks! Appreciate the support  ^-^

Offline jdylanmc

« Reply #197 on: Mon, 06 July 2020, 16:19:51 »
Got an old das keyboard ultimate 4 full of shine ... this set is gonna look dope on it

Offline ManiacMarc

• Twitch
« Reply #198 on: Mon, 06 July 2020, 17:37:16 »
Can't wait for this Group Buy to start in a couple weeks.

Offline LASERman

« Reply #199 on: Tue, 07 July 2020, 03:11:33 »
Finally after realising how much seduced I am, came to understanding the name - because the devil has stolen my soul and I will pay for the unholy pleasure of seeing and touching... and that is truly EVIL!!  :D

I don't know what my first build will be, not even sure about the form factor....
Also getting more lost every time i read about yet another switch...
But I am surely fixed on the bloody (literally) good one and only keycap set!
Starting backwards - so diabolical!  :cool:

What I see in it you may ask?
- the proper hellish dark theme (for my dark den)
- the lettering so deadly sharp like devil horns (for my poor eyes)
- the red accent so full, bold yet balanced like best Merlot (for my sinner taste)
- the subtle yet intriguing novelties (for creative pleasure)

Thank you S3LQ!