Author Topic: DAS S pro modding  (Read 2631 times)

Offline alexofthewest

DAS S pro modding
« on: Fri, 27 February 2015, 21:41:30 »
I have a brand new DAS keyboard model S profesional and I realized I really dislike reds comapred to the browns on my poker 2.  I want to mod all the switches on it to ergo clears but I am am having some difficulty finding some information that I am looking for. I cant figure out if its plate mounted or pcb mounted.

-the only springs I am able to find are these: http://www.gonskeyboardworks.com/others/120-switch-springs-by-gon.html
-where can I get a big set of clear switches that would work on this board for the best price?

-Has anyone modded a DAS here?

Offline strict

• TKL Zealot
Re: DAS S pro modding
« Reply #1 on: Fri, 27 February 2015, 21:50:00 »
- Das is plate mount so you would want plate mount switches
- You can order springs from Zeal
- You can order Cherry MX Clears from mechanicalkeyboards.com

Swapping out the switches on your Das should be pretty much identical to most other keyboards, the only difference will be disassembly steps. Hope that helps  :)

Realforce EK45 (Silenced)  |  Realforce 87UW (45g)  |  Realforce 87UWS (Variable)
Filco MJ2 TKL (Cherry Clears)  |  Phantom 87 (78g Gateron Clears)  |  Phantom 86 (67g Zealios)

Offline alexofthewest

« Reply #2 on: Fri, 27 February 2015, 22:40:27 »
I ordered the springs, (insane ripoff that the shipping is equal to the cost of the product) from zeal
-Unfortunately the plate mounted 100 and 110 pack of clears at mechanical keyboards are all sold out :(

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #3 on: Fri, 27 February 2015, 22:58:02 »
I ordered the springs, (insane ripoff that the shipping is equal to the cost of the product) from zeal
-Unfortunately the plate mounted 100 and 110 pack of clears at mechanical keyboards are all sold out :(

That shipping is also DHL and should get the item to you in just a couple of business days, you can also get tactile grays , identical to clears except the color of the stem and heavier stock spring which you are swapping anyway. (zeal shows these in stock, perhaps you could PM him and he could combine them with your springs, would at least make the shipping not so bad right?)

And just to be clear you are prepared to desolder the current switches, do all the spring swapping etc and solder in the new switches right?

Offline alexofthewest

« Reply #4 on: Fri, 27 February 2015, 23:07:42 »
interesting idea, i notice he also has clears, how do I contact him about that? on the zeal site or here?

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #5 on: Fri, 27 February 2015, 23:11:14 »
interesting idea, i notice he also has clears, how do I contact him about that? on the zeal site or here?

I would PM him on here and reply to your order confirmation email from his store and just tell him you wanted to inquire about adding switches to your order.

Offline Zeal

• Actually the King of Green Tea Kit-Kats
  • * Vendor
    • Zeal Generation Inc.
« Reply #6 on: Fri, 27 February 2015, 23:22:35 »

Hi Alex,

Unfortunately my MX Clears are currently out of stock as well. I only have tactile grays left.

Regarding shipping, $15 is quite a steal for overnight 1 business day shipping. Shipping via snailmail (Canada Post) to USA w/ Tracking is at most $1 or $2 cheaper, but takes 4-10 business days excluding customs clearance).
        "Bird have wing, bird will fly. Henry had wings.  Henry now fly." -Sent

Offline alexofthewest

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 27 February 2015, 23:57:51 »

Hi Alex,

Unfortunately my MX Clears are currently out of stock as well. I only have tactile grays left.

Regarding shipping, $15 is quite a steal for overnight 1 business day shipping. Shipping via snailmail (Canada Post) to USA w/ Tracking is at most $1 or $2 cheaper, but takes 4-10 business days excluding customs clearance).

I didn't realize that was overnight shipping, I thought I was paying 15 for standard so that is a major plus. Anyway, Is there any way to make an order for the tactile greys and combine them in the shipping order?

-is it true that the switches of grey and clear are identical except for the springs and the color of the switch itself? If that's the case greys would be perfectly fine I imagine.

*and props for noticing this thread! you have a very keen eye for business!*

Offline Zeal

• * Vendor
    • Zeal Generation Inc.
« Reply #8 on: Sat, 28 February 2015, 00:09:48 »

Hi Alex,

I didn't realize that was overnight shipping, I thought I was paying 15 for standard so that is a major plus. Anyway, Is there any way to make an order for the tactile greys and combine them in the shipping order?

-is it true that the switches of grey and clear are identical except for the springs and the color of the switch itself? If that's the case greys would be perfectly fine I imagine.

*and props for noticing this thread! you have a very keen eye for business!*
Sure thing. I'll email you regarding the MX tactile grays.

Yes, Tactile Gray & MX Clears are identical other than plastic colour. The only difference is the heavier stock spring in Tactile Grays.

Offline alexofthewest

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 04 March 2015, 23:33:00 »
So I recieved the switches and springs from zeal as well as a surprise! Great doing business with you. But I am a little puzzled as to how exactly to open the switch itself? How do you guys do it? Before I really begin I also need my soldering iron too, so for that I assume all I need is a soldering iron and solder, a cutter, and possibly a sucker, correct?   Where Should I look for some decent thin solder at a low price for this project?
« Last Edit: Wed, 04 March 2015, 23:35:13 by alexofthewest »

Offline neverused

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 04 March 2015, 23:43:07 »
On a not entirely unrelated note, if this will be your first time desoldering, I suggest that you get some old junk electronics and learn to desolder the components from that before you attempt it on your DAS

Offline Zeal

• * Vendor
    • Zeal Generation Inc.
« Reply #11 on: Thu, 05 March 2015, 00:12:48 »
So I recieved the switches and springs from zeal as well as a surprise! Great doing business with you. But I am a little puzzled as to how exactly to open the switch itself? How do you guys do it? Before I really begin I also need my soldering iron too, so for that I assume all I need is a soldering iron and solder, a cutter, and possibly a sucker, correct?   Where Should I look for some decent thin solder at a low price for this project?

Small flat head screwdrivers usually work fine. Just lift one leg at a time and wedge a corner (fingernail) and open the other side.

As for small diameter solder, the go-to one around here is Kester 44, 63/37 in 0.020" diameter.

Offline alexofthewest

« Reply #12 on: Thu, 05 March 2015, 00:38:26 »
@neverused, I have an old 10 dollar logitech keyboard in mind.

@zeal, Ill try that with the switch, so you pop them up with a screwdriver and put something narrow in to hold each corner down then it slides open?

--> ill look around for the solder you mentioned.

Offline Zeal

• * Vendor
    • Zeal Generation Inc.
« Reply #13 on: Thu, 05 March 2015, 01:05:17 »
Yes, pretty much. You'll get the hang of it once you fiddle around with the switches.

Offline alexofthewest

« Reply #14 on: Sat, 07 March 2015, 18:42:23 »
Where do you recommend lubing the switches?

Offline Zeal

• * Vendor
    • Zeal Generation Inc.
« Reply #15 on: Sat, 07 March 2015, 19:02:06 »
Where do you recommend lubing the switches?

For tactile switches, I lube points 1, 2, and a little bit on 3.

and the sliders (where the triangles are pointing)

You should experiment on a few switches to get a feeling of what you prefer. :)