geekhack Marketplace > Interest Checks

[IC] Pearl 40% - Premium, HHKB, weighted, rgb, usbc, cherry/alps

(1/37) > >>

Koobaczech:
10/30/17 Some info might be outdated or has changed - refer to website or GB thread for latest info please - TY
GB Thread - https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=92259.0
GB Website - www.pearlboards.com
About me and the Pearl
Hello I'm Kooba, this boards sole designer, and I'm here to tell you the modern day 40% board has arrived! Ive loved 40% boards and decided to fuse my three favorites together into one. Mechminis RGB, Mininvans Cherry/Alps compatibility and JD45s thick case and blocked style. I then added some modern features like side indicators, usb-c and a better layout. Initially it was just a project for myself, but the community received it well so I'm going to decide if i can sell it to you all! Ive invested over 2k into it so far and countless hours. Hope you enjoy the board and support this project! - Koobaczech

Elephant in the room
All should be done in a few months with a fixed price between $250-$300. Shipping is free in CONUS, and $40-$70 International via USPS. Min and Max order quantity tentatively planned at 50-100. Not set in stone. As it is my first ever project, I have signed countless NDA's. I kindly ask that you don't ask me for design files/quotes/contacts.

Main features

* 40% form factor for portability and aesthetics
* ALU 6061/General Brass/Polycarbonate
* 6 degree incline
* Top mounted plate with cherrystab support in polished brass or anodized alu and switch top removal support
* Sandblasted brass weight with custom engraving on both sides
* Bootmapper client (u/jetpacktuxedo working on porting to QMK)
* Corner indicator lights (Num, Caps, Scroll)
* RGB under-glow/NON-RGB top led support
* Cherry/Alps switch compatibility
* USB-C to USB-A - Not USB-C to USB-C
* Split-space, Split-Rshift, Split-backspace
* Close to normal stagger layout (no need for 40% modifier keyset kits). The small stagger is almost insignificant, and the keyset compatibility/ aesthetic gain is well worth the change
Secondary features

* Many anodization color options - Black, gray, silver, cyan, blue, red, pink, purple, yellow, green, rose gold, orange
* Slightly sunken in design so keys hide more
* Tight fit design, inner bezels hug keycaps
* Case bottom can be built 4 ways (with rgb diffuser, without it, with rgb diffuser as bot base or with diffuser and feet)
* Diamond engraving in rear corner
Definite NO's in this project

* Ortholinear
* MATIAS/COSTAR Stabilizer support, im sorry, wont fit on plate for 2.75 RSHIFT
* Stepped caps key (hits side traces)
* Any sort of different layout
* Included keycaps
* Included switches
What a purchase should include

* Full keyboard kit (bottom case, weight, rgb diffuser, pcb, specific switch plate, top case)
* Screws
* Tiny clear rubber bump pads (feet)
* Ability to purchase an extra PCB/Plate/Diffuser
* Regular USB-C to USB-A cable (INTEREST CHECK FORM)
* Custom 40% wrist rest $30 (MAYBE)
* Custom premium sleeve $30 (MAYBE)
Pictures of my real working prototypes in cyan/red/purple/titanium

No RGB diffuser

Cyan USB-C

Cyan vs JD45

Cyan Side

Cyan matrix

Red Kit

Red top down

Red Alps

Red done

Top of weight

Bottom of weight

QMK/Cherry keys

PCB

Indicator lights

RGB Diffuser

Misc.

LAYOUT

LAYOUT EXAMPLES

TRADITIONAL JD45 LAYOUT NOT THAT IS NOT SUPPORTED

Renders done by me, closely related to actual colors

Parts

More about me

* Reddit - u/koobaczech
* Instagram - u/koobaczech
* Email - pearlboards@gmail.com
* Youtube - https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCgs47z4XCMlIBZhBAwQIsyQ
* Work 9am-6pm M-F
* Best way to receive updates will be here on this forum or via email (signup on my site)
Current state of project/other important notes

* Building website to sell boards on - www.pearlboards.com
* Have not figure out packaging
* Most likely will use PayPal as form of payment. On that note, someone said my account will freeze for a month if a lot of money comes in at once. So expecting that
Special thanks to

* Dave from mechkeys.ca for support, advice, mentoring and help planning
* William_S_Jones for forcing me to do split spacebar layout
* Homerow Co. for helping me get started with CAD
* R0b0ticalfor helping me try on a ton of 1337 GMK keysets
* pabloescobyte, Komatoz, Chachal, Jolimon, Mito, Phatskin(dailyclack) for support and any kit addons
* TopClack for features

Koobaczech:
INTEREST CHECK FORMhttps://goo.gl/forms/E4TOS88G6qVG6UwD3
UPDATESGB will be run on the first week of NOV at www.pearlboards.com. Shipping costs will be added to base price. Free shipping CONUS, $40-$70 International via USPS. You can purchase additional components there as well. Estimated completion near January.
Follow me on IG for more pics = Koobaczech

Koobaczech:
Reserved - Just want to take a moment to thank anyone and everyone showing interest and helping me collect data via the interest check. Appreciate your time, comments and opinions above all!

scwoopz:
Wow. Beautiful. I'm definitely interested.

kmba:
This is beautiful and I love it, but what's the reasoning behind the incorrect stagger? If you made the tab 1.25 and enter 1.75 you'd correct stagger and be in line with more standard 40/45% keycaps. That one change would put me in 100%.

Edit: I see you posted that the current layout allows for use of regular caps without the need for 40/45 kits. I personally would prefer to scour for caps and maintain proper stagger.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version