Author Topic: KeyCon 2020 Going Virtual - September 20  (Read 262693 times)

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
Re: KeyCon 2020 - Denver (Venue hunt is on)
« Reply #100 on: Mon, 16 September 2019, 16:54:53 »
I'm there if Jacobsmirror and his Furts are there. ;)  :-*

Looks like you'll be there

Woo!!!!! That was quick.  ;D Cant wait!

Offline xmagusx

• QWERTY is hateful.
    • The Ergonomic Zone
« Reply #101 on: Sat, 21 September 2019, 19:39:44 »
With regard to venues - how many people are (likely) showing up and are we looking to book a block of rooms at a nearby hotel?

Offline jacobsmirror

« Reply #102 on: Sat, 21 September 2019, 19:41:10 »
With regard to venues - how many people are (likely) showing up and are we looking to book a block of rooms at a nearby hotel?

We're shooting for around 500. And yes, hopefully we can offer a discount at a local hotel.

Offline Jaxxstatic

• Haptic Recon
« Reply #103 on: Sun, 22 September 2019, 02:33:08 »
Someone mentioned Nintendo Switch stations for bonding. I support this idea wholeheartedly.

Offline walletburner

• Formerly wokechill
« Reply #104 on: Sun, 29 September 2019, 13:30:15 »
folks, i love it

Offline Kellybear

• (づ。◕‿‿◕。)づ
« Reply #105 on: Tue, 01 October 2019, 23:39:59 »
Someone mentioned Nintendo Switch stations for bonding. I support this idea wholeheartedly.

I like this idea a lot lol.

Offline apathy3cs

• Glorious Leader
  • その目だれの目?
« Reply #106 on: Sat, 05 October 2019, 15:36:08 »
If I remember this is occurring and depending on if I decide to go to Japan in March vs June (vs pushing it another year) I might try and make an appearance.  It's been a while and I love Colorado.  Mother grew up there and it'd be nice to revisit some of those areas.

Offline Smurfmaster

« Reply #107 on: Tue, 08 October 2019, 17:11:36 »
I vote Denver as well!

Of course I'm a little biased since that's only an hour away for me.

Offline switchnollie

• sleever supreme
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • greyhat co-leader
« Reply #108 on: Tue, 08 October 2019, 17:19:53 »
I vote Denver as well!

Of course I'm a little biased since that's only an hour away for me.

Still in for Utah :thumb:

Keyboards: HHKB Pro 1 & OTD 356CL Dark Greyhat Edition, baybee!

Offline HoffmanMyster

• HOFF, smol MAN OF MYSTERY
  • * Senior Moderator
« Reply #109 on: Wed, 09 October 2019, 13:42:16 »
If I remember this is occurring and depending on if I decide to go to Japan in March vs June (vs pushing it another year) I might try and make an appearance.  It's been a while and I love Colorado.  Mother grew up there and it'd be nice to revisit some of those areas.

Pizza GB 2.0!!

Offline renoinmo

• personal site
« Reply #110 on: Wed, 16 October 2019, 11:13:06 »
Is there a usual time of year for KeyCon? Would love to go, I've got some friends out in Denver, so housing is real cheap :)

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #111 on: Wed, 16 October 2019, 16:20:46 »
Is there a usual time of year for KeyCon? Would love to go, I've got some friends out in Denver, so housing is real cheap :)

Typically early-ish summer.  June/July time-frame most often.

Offline jb1830

• @jonboulton
    • 1upkeyboards.com
« Reply #112 on: Mon, 21 October 2019, 19:01:23 »
I hope this doesn't happen on the same weekend as Anime Expo in LA (July 2 - 5, 2020)

IBM Model M            Fjell 002           Klippe            KC60           Planck

Offline LifeZ

• LifeZone
« Reply #113 on: Wed, 23 October 2019, 20:12:16 »
It's too far there.
Have a fun party for everyone.   :cool:
LZ Limited

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #114 on: Thu, 24 October 2019, 21:58:55 »
It's too far there.
Have a fun party for everyone.   :cool:

Keycon 2021 Seoul
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline Bruzur

« Reply #115 on: Mon, 28 October 2019, 16:11:02 »
Any excuse to visit CO, so...

Count me in.

Offline tex_live_utility

• MX brown apologist
    • twitch.tv/salt_rock_lamp
« Reply #116 on: Thu, 31 October 2019, 10:50:26 »
I think a lot of people were unhappy with last year's venue. I've heard many folks express their willingness to pay a fee for this year's Keycon if it meant we could secure a venue that was more equipped to hosting an event like ours. I know I'm one of them.
Discord: salt rock lamp#0679 | Reddit: /u/nerdponx | Deskthority: autoload -Uz | Keebtalk: salt_rock_lamp
Twitch: salt_rock_lamp | YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCd7YXZjilUutJ6ShZWrvQtg | Instagram: @salt_rock_keyboards

Offline zekkin

• my entire life was unlimited zekk works
« Reply #117 on: Thu, 31 October 2019, 10:58:57 »
I think a lot of people were unhappy with last year's venue. I've heard many folks express their willingness to pay a fee for this year's Keycon if it meant we could secure a venue that was more equipped to hosting an event like ours. I know I'm one of them.

I am in 100% agreement here. As a preface, I understand there was an existing relationship with the Ace Hotel and we were all able to attend for free. That being said...

The Ace Hotel in Manhattan was a very bad venue for this kind of meetup. From the start the entire thing was confusing, people were setting up their belongings, boxes of resin worth thousands of dollars, keyboards worth thousands of dollars, at tables located in the ENTRANCE of the Ace Hotel. I, personally, was informed that the downstairs area was specifically reserved for vendors only, but immediately found folks friendly with vendors placing their personal items on the vendor tables (probably because they realized how absurd it is to leave their belongings upstairs).

Once the meetup got into full swing, it became apparent that the venue was not adequate. Due to the majority of the things being displayed being located in the literal LOBBY of the hotel, people simply staying at the Ace Hotel could be seen walking over to the table with drinks and iced-coffees in hand, often held directly over the keyboards, disregarding signs that say "do not pick up," and even asking people how much certain items were should they want to purchase them. As the day moved along, it became difficult to even move around in the downstairs area due to the sheer number of people as well as the ambient temperature constantly rising (easily 10 degrees F higher than upstairs, and this is at the start of the typical hot and humid New York City summer).

I am 100% willing to pay $15-20 for a ticket where the funds go back to the organizers search for a venue that is comfortable and enjoyable for everyone. I know I'm not alone here.

Offline jacobsmirror

« Reply #118 on: Thu, 31 October 2019, 12:49:14 »

I am in 100% agreement here. As a preface, I understand there was an existing relationship with the Ace Hotel and we were all able to attend for free. That being said...

The Ace Hotel in Manhattan was a very bad venue for this kind of meetup. From the start the entire thing was confusing, people were setting up their belongings, boxes of resin worth thousands of dollars, keyboards worth thousands of dollars, at tables located in the ENTRANCE of the Ace Hotel. I, personally, was informed that the downstairs area was specifically reserved for vendors only, but immediately found folks friendly with vendors placing their personal items on the vendor tables (probably because they realized how absurd it is to leave their belongings upstairs).

Once the meetup got into full swing, it became apparent that the venue was not adequate. Due to the majority of the things being displayed being located in the literal LOBBY of the hotel, people simply staying at the Ace Hotel could be seen walking over to the table with drinks and iced-coffees in hand, often held directly over the keyboards, disregarding signs that say "do not pick up," and even asking people how much certain items were should they want to purchase them. As the day moved along, it became difficult to even move around in the downstairs area due to the sheer number of people as well as the ambient temperature constantly rising (easily 10 degrees F higher than upstairs, and this is at the start of the typical hot and humid New York City summer).

I am 100% willing to pay $15-20 for a ticket where the funds go back to the organizers search for a venue that is comfortable and enjoyable for everyone. I know I'm not alone here.

Yup, noted. And I agree with you on many of those points. Much of which were already brought up when we asked attendees for feedback, but also some of your concerns are just what happens at meetups anywhere.

Ace Hotel was incredibly generous with their time and accommodations for the previous two KeyCons. However, it was increasingly apparent that the event has grown beyond their ability to host. Beyond that, the response for New York was much higher than anticipated and nearly twice as much as the previous year if we would've let the rsvp stay open. That said, as we're hunting for venues, we're making sure that we have a more open floor plan for the main section, consistent lighting, a solution for talks and presentations, and space for 500+. But, with that, we will definitely be looking for ways to cover the cost of the venue through paid tickets, vendor fees, and a few other avenues.

Again, the feedback is appreciated, and the planning committee and myself are working hard getting moving on 2020.
« Last Edit: Mon, 04 November 2019, 19:36:39 by jacobsmirror »

Offline ejewell89

• 4ever Smol
« Reply #119 on: Thu, 07 November 2019, 08:47:57 »

Yup, noted. And I agree with you on many of those points. Much of which were already brought up when we asked attendees for feedback, but also some of your concerns are just what happens at meetups anywhere.

Ace Hotel was incredibly generous with their time and accommodations for the previous two KeyCons. However, it was increasingly apparent that the event has grown beyond their ability to host. Beyond that, the response for New York was much higher than anticipated and nearly twice as much as the previous year if we would've let the rsvp stay open. That said, as we're hunting for venues, we're making sure that we have a more open floor plan for the main section, consistent lighting, a solution for talks and presentations, and space for 500+. But, with that, we will definitely be looking for ways to cover the cost of the venue through paid tickets, vendor fees, and a few other avenues.

Again, the feedback is appreciated, and the planning committee and myself are working hard getting moving on 2020.

maybe it was just so bad it warranted saying again.

i think my Condo has more sq ft than the main basement room in Ace.  :eek:

Offline jacobsmirror

« Reply #120 on: Thu, 07 November 2019, 13:23:26 »

maybe it was just so bad it warranted saying again.

i think my Condo has more sq ft than the main basement room in Ace.  :eek:

Dude, we get it. You lift, and your shoulders are big, and you have trouble with standard width hallways and doors. That said...again... noted.

Offline TheGreatIceDrake

« Reply #121 on: Thu, 07 November 2019, 13:32:25 »
Please ensure that there is ample staging, seating, and a priest on standby in case of impromptu marriage ceremonies.

Offline aspenc4

« Reply #122 on: Thu, 07 November 2019, 13:41:11 »
Please ensure that there is ample staging, seating, and a priest on standby in case of impromptu marriage ceremonies.
I predict countless tears of joy on the horizon. Event of the century it shall be!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Offline jacobsmirror

« Reply #123 on: Thu, 07 November 2019, 13:46:21 »

This could be done.

Offline Auxo

• Formerly CJD_Anthony
« Reply #124 on: Fri, 08 November 2019, 14:35:59 »

hey
UNREALFORCE TKL | KMAC Happy | LSJ Ares | LZ CLS h | NIX Sofia | Noxary X60 | OTD 356 Mini | PFU Limited HHKB Pro 2 (Black) | PFU Limited HHKB Pro 2 Type-S | PFU Limited HHKB JP Type-S | SINGA x TGR Unikorn | TGR 60% | Weaston & nachie GSKT-00 |
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | MIRA SE | TGR Alice | Southpaw Fullsize (pending shipping) | Daily driver: TGR Alice
Collection: Salamander PC, Keycult No1(OG) Salamander TKL, M60A, THE60, Jane V2, LZ MP, LZ GH V2, KC 1/60, OTD 456GT. Kepler, Think 6.5 Brass, Think 6.5 PC, T60, The Raine, F77, E7-V1 SE
Topre Realforce 87U 55g | Corsair K70 w/ MX Browns | Unicomp Ultra Classic
Poker 2 | LZ CE | Leopold FC700R | KMAC 1.2 | EXE | GON NS87 | GON Nerd TKL | Duck Poker | Duck Orion | Realforce 87u 55g | OTD 456GT | LZ B7 | OTD 360C | Ducky G2 Pro | Apple Extended | Apple M0116 | Apple M0116 | Cherry G80-1220HAD | Duck Octagon | HHKB Pro 2 | Duck Unicorn | LZ B8 | LZ RE | ENVKX | OTD 456GT | LZ FE | HHKB Type S | TX1800| Duck Orion V2 | LZ FE | KPad | KMAC Happy | ENVKX | LZ RV | KMAC 2 | Whale | Dolphin | EM7 | TGR Jane | VE.A | DK Saver | Matrix 10xv1.0 | Whale | HHKB BT | Dolphin v2 | EM7 v2 | SSK | SSK (Blue Label) | LZ SQ | Duck Octagon v2 | TX84 | GON Mobik | TX-CP | LZ Ergo2 | KMAC Happy HHKB | TGR 910 | TGR Tris | Matrix 8xv1.2 | KMAC Mini | Mira | Fjell | 356mini | Dolphin GH | EM7 GH | TARO EXENT | Masterkey Pro L Crysta l OTD Koala | Duck Viper | Keycult no.1 | 356mini | 356pad | Matrix 8xv2.0 | 420cl | Matrix 8xv1.0 | Whale Special | Poly Dolphin | Keycult No.2 | FMJ80 | Singa R2 Quickfire Pro | TADA 68 | Novatouch | Whitefox | Octagon v1 | Blackbird | HHKB Pro 2 | KBD75 | VE.A | X60 | Canoe | HHKB Pro 1 | FJELL | Revo One | ALPS64 | Lightsaver v3 | IBM 5140 WKL | Realforce 87u | MIRA SE | Duck Poker | Canoe | Moon | Weaven | M65-A | EXENT | Wooden Planck | Tokyo60| Viper v1 | E6-v2 | IBM SSK | CA66 | TX-CP | SINGA | TGR Alice | FJELL R2 | Klippe | JER-A06 | GSKT-00 | M60-A | Realforce 84u | AL1 | Keycult No. 1 | SaiB-CP | G81-3077SAU | DC60 | Realforce 84ub | TMO50 | G80-1800 | Leaf 80 | LZ GH-v2 | T60 | LZ MP | KMAC Happy | TGR-910RE (Al) | TGR-910RE (PC) | SKB60 | UNIKORN | TGR Jane v2 | Xeno

Offline ejewell89

• 4ever Smol
« Reply #125 on: Tue, 12 November 2019, 10:09:13 »

This could be done.

make sure they're ok with same sex marriages and polyamorous too. bc i might proposition jacob.

Offline tex_live_utility

• MX brown apologist
    • twitch.tv/salt_rock_lamp
« Reply #126 on: Wed, 13 November 2019, 20:31:57 »
Is there any interest in a switch lubing testing station? It would be a big bowl of Gaterons linears plus several different lubes, brushes, and switch openers. You could spend a few minutes and play around experimenting with different lubes and techniques. Mostly targeted at "beginner/intermediate" attendees but could still be a good opportunity to try something different even for old heads.
Discord: salt rock lamp#0679 | Reddit: /u/nerdponx | Deskthority: autoload -Uz | Keebtalk: salt_rock_lamp
Twitch: salt_rock_lamp | YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCd7YXZjilUutJ6ShZWrvQtg | Instagram: @salt_rock_keyboards

Offline jacobsmirror

« Reply #127 on: Wed, 13 November 2019, 20:50:13 »
Is there any interest in a switch lubing testing station? It would be a big bowl of Gaterons linears plus several different lubes, brushes, and switch openers. You could spend a few minutes and play around experimenting with different lubes and techniques. Mostly targeted at "beginner/intermediate" attendees but could still be a good opportunity to try something different even for old heads.
Sounds fun. Shoot me a dm here or on discord.

Offline Powerline

« Reply #128 on: Tue, 03 December 2019, 08:56:51 »
 :D
Comm
This would be super nice. I'm relatively new to the community and there's so many different switches to try and it could answer so many questions too. Maybe have someone do a demo of lubing or something too?

Offline Powerline

« Reply #129 on: Tue, 03 December 2019, 08:58:24 »
I'm all for a Denver spot. I live in Nebraska so everywhere else is pretty much way too far away. 😭

Offline Texican42

« Reply #130 on: Tue, 03 December 2019, 15:49:43 »

As one of those "beginner/intermediate" attendees, I'm all for this!

Offline thvstnvte

« Reply #131 on: Sat, 07 December 2019, 11:07:38 »
oooooh, im hype for this if it happens to be in Denver that's something I can probably make too

Offline shinz0

• i was told there would be cake
« Reply #132 on: Mon, 09 December 2019, 17:55:53 »
will there be aany officiants avail? I want to marry my one true love, Jane TGR, at KeyCon 2020.

Offline jacobsmirror

« Reply #133 on: Mon, 09 December 2019, 17:57:52 »
will there be aany officiants avail? I want to marry my one true love, Jane TGR, at KeyCon 2020.
I can make sure a priest from the First Church of Clack can be present and ready to officiate.

Offline AuthenticDanger

« Reply #134 on: Mon, 09 December 2019, 18:07:00 »
Any idea on possible dates? Even if it's multiple possibilities, it'd be nice to not get double booked with other travel plans.
F Keys belong on the left.

Offline jacobsmirror

« Reply #135 on: Mon, 09 December 2019, 18:08:06 »
Any idea on possible dates? Even if it's multiple possibilities, it'd be nice to not get double booked with other travel plans.
We are down to 3 or 4 venues to consider right now. Dates are ranging between late May and the first half of June.

Offline HoffmanMyster

• * Senior Moderator
« Reply #136 on: Wed, 11 December 2019, 11:40:54 »
Anyone from the midwest/great lakes region considering driving out?  Wondering if we should get a party bus carpool going. 

Offline wavv

• mattl.ink
« Reply #137 on: Sat, 14 December 2019, 11:53:50 »
Denver 2020 shall be my first KeyCon. Hopefully GMK Olive ships before it  :D

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #138 on: Thu, 19 December 2019, 14:01:09 »
We are down to 3 or 4 venues to consider right now. Dates are ranging between late May and the first half of June.

Will dates be confirmed before or at the same time as the venue? Thanks

Offline jacobsmirror

« Reply #139 on: Thu, 19 December 2019, 14:03:23 »

Will dates be confirmed before or at the same time as the venue? Thanks
Same time, and hopefully soon.

Offline jacobsmirror

Re: KeyCon 2020 Denver - June 13
« Reply #140 on: Fri, 20 December 2019, 12:43:19 »
I'm happy to announce we've secured a venue for KeyCon2020!

Date: June 13, 2020
Time: 11am-6pm
Place: EXDO Event Center, 1399 35th St. Denver, CO 80205

Many more details soon. Happy to get rolling :)

Offline aspenc4

« Reply #141 on: Fri, 20 December 2019, 12:46:01 »

WOOP! 

Offline shinz0

• i was told there would be cake
« Reply #142 on: Fri, 20 December 2019, 12:46:26 »

WOOP!

COME ON! YEE

Offline dustinhxc

• * Exalted Elder
  • IV
    • Gray Designs
« Reply #143 on: Fri, 20 December 2019, 12:56:20 »
Woohoo perfect weekend! I’m busy at the end of the month!

Offline adxlk

« Reply #144 on: Fri, 20 December 2019, 12:56:55 »
possibly flying out from mauritius to meet you guys. See you there!

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #145 on: Fri, 20 December 2019, 12:58:31 »

Should've just waited a day more :p Great news

Offline godinjointform

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #146 on: Fri, 20 December 2019, 13:19:25 »
see y'all in Denver  :cool:

Offline BlindAssassin111

• I design keyboards and stuff.
    • Viktus
« Reply #147 on: Fri, 20 December 2019, 14:32:49 »
Can't wait!

Offline switchnollie

• sleever supreme
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • greyhat co-leader
« Reply #148 on: Fri, 20 December 2019, 15:21:25 »
Hmm, close enough to Utah.

Could probably make it over 🧐

Keyboards: HHKB Pro 1 & OTD 356CL Dark Greyhat Edition, baybee!

Offline MMKB

« Reply #149 on: Fri, 20 December 2019, 17:27:32 »

I'm down. Thanks for putting this together!