Author Topic: CST L-track modding for comfort  (Read 2549 times)

Offline nourathar

CST L-track modding for comfort
« on: Thu, 29 August 2013, 15:17:42 »
Hi,
seduced by some discussions on this site I got myself a CST L-track trackball. A couple of years ago I stopped using a mouse because i was developing RSI and switched to a pen cum tablet, but because of a gradual shift in my activities (less GUI, more code, basically) i found myself often typing with a pen in the right hand, which is no good. A trackball seemed perfect for my needs and it looks cool too.

Got it in the mail yesterday and overall I'm happy with it, but there's also some cons: I wish the case was metal and more tank-like and I think i'll have to lube the rollers a  bit to make it move more smoothly, but that is not the main issue.
The main problem I have is the wrist position: it doesn't feel good that i have to bend my wrist upwards and I am not sure that is something I will get used to.

I have found mention of two solutions:

- a wrist pad on the base of the CST
see http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=27399.0

- the idea to raise the back of the device to make arm ,wrist and hand more level.
mentioned in this review http://deskthority.net/news-reviews-f4/cst-l-trac-x-t173.html

I'm getting a pad tomorrow and I put some small blocks under the device now to try the second option, but I'm wondering what other experiences people have had with this type of addition to an otherwise great device ?

ciao,

J.
« Last Edit: Thu, 29 August 2013, 15:20:30 by nourathar »

Offline kurplop

• THE HERO WE DON'T DESERVE
Re: CST L-track modding for comfort
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 29 August 2013, 15:45:06 »
Welcome to geekhack.

I made a similar discovery years ago when I bought an Expert Mouse thinking that would help my hand problems. The unit's height made it unusable for me because of the amount of wrist extension necessary. After several attempts I came up with something that is very comfortable. By setting the trackball into a tray, I was able to create a slightly negative slope, lower the ball relative to the keyboard and tilt it 17º for reduced wrist pronation.  http://www.flickr.com/photos/kurplop/8754018518/

Trackballs  are great. I'd encourage you to try some kind of modifications that would better position it ergonomically.

Offline nourathar

Re: CST L-track modding for comfort
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 29 August 2013, 16:12:58 »
thanks for the welcome !

Wow, looked at your photostream and there are many interesting ideas there..

and funny; I bought my first mechanical keyboard about two months ago and I almost went for a Truly Ergonomic such as the one in your (previous ?) setup. In the end I found that a bit much for a first mechanical keyboard buy and decided to go with a Filco minila because they are small and cute, have a sturdy plate and to first see whether mechanical keyboards are for me. It's been great so far, can't go back..

Tilting the trackball unit makes complete sense, that's a great idea actually that I haven't seen mentioned before, so for now I'm going to experiment with some wrist pad and slope/tilt combinations...

thanks !

J.
« Last Edit: Thu, 29 August 2013, 17:47:34 by nourathar »