Author Topic: [IC] Niz next generation EC keyboard survey & giveaway  (Read 9043 times)

Offline Nizkeyboard

• nizkeyboard
[IC] Niz next generation EC keyboard survey & giveaway
« on: Tue, 19 May 2020, 20:11:06 »
Hi all, we are the manufacturer of electro capacitive (EC) keyboards NIZ.
As we're planning to refine or even rebrand rebrand our products, we want to gather some opinions from the enthusiast forum.
(I'm not sure if it should be posted here. I apologize if not. )

Here is the Google form for our survey. https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1j_d38qO19XfjSs-eywv6tjMhixJzGtgJ-_2A7MYOv3c

We will select one participant and giveaway a Niz keyboard.

The participant must fill in his/her forum ID. Your ID must be registered before 05/19/2020.

Discussions here will also appreciated.

Offline Vadurr

• Valar Morghulis
Re: [IC] Niz next generation EC keyboard survey & giveaway
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 19 May 2020, 20:16:33 »
Survey filled! Interested in seeing what products you guys have for the future!

Offline pr0ximity

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 19 May 2020, 20:19:58 »
I've still yet to see anyone do much with different plate materials for electro-capacitive keyboards. Custom Cherry-style boards have used aluminum, steel, brass, titanium, carbon fiber, polycarbonate, acrylic, POM, PBT, and plateless. However Topre and other EC boards don't seem to offer different options -- even though removable slider housings have been a thing for a while now.

So I think that's what I'd like to see, specifically I think polycarbonate or carbon fiber would be excellent plate materials for EC keyboards. After that, I think a polycarbonate case would be excellent. But plate materials seem like an easy thing to offer for enthusiasts to switch out.
| Flickr | KMAC 1.2 | Koala | GSKT-00-Z | GSKT-00-AEK | GON NerD60 | Jane V2 CE | Whale | J80S | Ibis | Pro2 | Pro1 | 356mini | 356CL DGE | G80-5000 HAMDE | IBM 1390120 | IBM F AT | IBM F122 | IBM 3101 | Zenith Z-150

Offline Lyle88

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 19 May 2020, 20:33:48 »
Submitted
Really like the feel/sound of EC keyboards. If you can offer stable BT for PC and Mac + full programmability with Fn layers that would be all I need

Sent from my SM-G970F using Tapatalk

Offline ycanales

• keybordist
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 19 May 2020, 20:35:33 »
Thanks for reaching out!

There's probably a more appropriate subforum but personally, it doesn't bother me.

I've filled the survey but will share my thoughts here too, I'd love to see:

- More case designs, more colors (sadly I couldn't join the Atom GB but that was a great move)
- More plate options as said above.
- More domes weight options.
- Easy programming (I'm thinking something like VIA; I don't own a Niz keyboard yet so I don't know how easy or not is it, sorry)

Personally I don't care much about Bluetooth or RGB lighting.

Offline Gonsterek

« Reply #5 on: Tue, 19 May 2020, 20:37:23 »
survay filled :)

Offline Shadohhh

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 19 May 2020, 20:38:51 »
I have not tried an EC board. I would be interested in trying one eventually. Maybe different case and plate options would be interesting for potential buyers.

Offline TonyPia

« Reply #7 on: Tue, 19 May 2020, 20:44:05 »
Had to give up last alu atom and ended up with micro82.
I am super satisfied with the board and became a big fan of niz ec.
Now I definitely think more about niz than HHKB, which I've used many years.
Very excited.

Offline BoofyMoon

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 19 May 2020, 21:54:51 »
An Ortho ec board has been a dream of mine

Offline BlindAssassin111

• I design keyboards and stuff.
    • Viktus
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 19 May 2020, 22:38:47 »
As someone who has used the Niz housings/sliders in a topre board (needed non-high profile housings to use cherry caps) I would really like to see the addition of dome sheet alignment pegs like topre housings have, I know this is a small thing for y'all but those of use who like to modify keyboards would appreciate the ability to open these up and not spend hours upon hours aligning domes because the pegs aren't there.

If it never happens that is okay too as you are an OEM but it would be a very welcome feature. I haven't been able to recommend these to friends as this and the fact you can't use them on topre boards due to the stabilizer differences (topre having them integrated and Niz using costar).

Offline Bamboo238

« Reply #10 on: Tue, 19 May 2020, 23:11:31 »
If possible, I would also be interested in trying EC boards with different mounting styles- top mount/gasket etc. I think overall Niz keyboards have a lot of offerings. I think the case/keycap deign could do with looking a little better in general.  I can’t remember now, but I think I struggled finding 55g after market domes for the atom68 too.

Offline TonyPia

« Reply #11 on: Tue, 19 May 2020, 23:29:03 »
As someone who has used the Niz housings/sliders in a topre board (needed non-high profile housings to use cherry caps) I would really like to see the addition of dome sheet alignment pegs like topre housings have, I know this is a small thing for y'all but those of use who like to modify keyboards would appreciate the ability to open these up and not spend hours upon hours aligning domes because the pegs aren't there.

If it never happens that is okay too as you are an OEM but it would be a very welcome feature. I haven't been able to recommend these to friends as this and the fact you can't use them on topre boards due to the stabilizer differences (topre having them integrated and Niz using costar).

Hey BA, how hard is it to take the PCB and switch from Niz and put them on popular keyboard like 7v or chimera? We all know the benefit of each sides but I don't see much effort toward that direction.

Offline roguesystem087

« Reply #12 on: Tue, 19 May 2020, 23:35:59 »
1800 layout !!!!! pretty please!!! something as simple as a black with black on white keycaps would go a super long way.
Maybe even qmk configurable if possible X3

Offline TonyPia

« Reply #13 on: Tue, 19 May 2020, 23:51:48 »
1800 layout !!!!! pretty please!!! something as simple as a black with black on white keycaps would go a super long way.
Maybe even qmk configurable if possible X3

They have their own software which is close to VIA. I would rather ask for cheapest caps. Do we want to spend hundreds bucks for nice GMK sets, don't we?

Offline Abhorrent Cell

« Reply #14 on: Wed, 20 May 2020, 00:04:03 »
Filled out. Split backspace is a big one for me.

Southpaw 65 with split + on numpad and split space bar would be dream come true.

Excited for whatever y'all put out.

Offline neutralstate

« Reply #15 on: Wed, 20 May 2020, 06:58:47 »
If possible, I would also be interested in trying EC boards with different mounting styles- top mount/gasket etc. I think overall Niz keyboards have a lot of offerings. I think the case/keycap deign could do with looking a little better in general.  I can’t remember now, but I think I struggled finding 55g after market domes for the atom68 too.

Agreed. Interested in more custom niz boards.

Offline radsan

« Reply #16 on: Wed, 20 May 2020, 08:13:56 »
Is there any interest in a alice layout EC board? Would pretty sick if they made it possible.

Offline Lyle88

« Reply #17 on: Wed, 20 May 2020, 08:24:47 »
Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but I think top mount or gasket mount would be particularly difficult on an EC board. The PCB needs support behind it because the sliders are pushing directly on to it, unlike MX boards where the switch is usually mounted to a plate which is what absorbs the force of your typing
Edit: spelling

Offline CrazyAssMonkey

« Reply #18 on: Wed, 20 May 2020, 09:08:12 »
Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but I think top mount or gasket mount would be particularly difficult on an EC board. The PCB needs support behind it because the sliders are pushing directly on to it, unlike MX boards where the switch is usually mounted to a plate which is what absorbs the force of your typing
Edit: spelling

You could screw the pcb into the plate in some manner or connect the pcb itself to the case? Not sure if the second one would work.

Offline ycanales

• keybordist
« Reply #19 on: Wed, 20 May 2020, 09:15:24 »
Is there any interest in a alice layout EC board? Would pretty sick if they made it possible.
That would be so cool

Offline Gati

« Reply #20 on: Wed, 20 May 2020, 09:45:50 »
Standard layout 65% and I’m down

Offline konstantin

• Formerly constexpr
« Reply #21 on: Wed, 20 May 2020, 09:54:53 »
I forgot to mention it in my form response, but a 65% split backspace layout would be awesome to see! Like this:

Offline Automata-killa

« Reply #22 on: Wed, 20 May 2020, 10:51:21 »
Submitted
Really like the feel/sound of EC keyboards. If you can offer stable BT for PC and Mac + full programmability with Fn layers that would be all I need

The bluetooth connection on their board is stable and Niz boards include both Mac and windows compatibility as well as extra keycaps for Mac support. I've used their Niz 68 and it's an awesome board, sadly 35g is a bit too light in my opinion. As for programmability, I myself didn't try programming it but it uses proprietary software on Windows.

Offline HungerMechanic

« Reply #23 on: Sat, 06 June 2020, 21:20:22 »
I have an ABKO board, and it is great. Except the keycaps are pad-printed. I would rather buy an EC keyboard like Niz/ABKO that is either dye-sub or double-shot PBT.

The keycaps that came with the ABKO were great in terms of profile and material. Perfect for the switches. If you could offer aftermarket keycaps that are the same, except dye-subbed or double-shot, that would be helpful.

Offline jamster

« Reply #24 on: Sat, 06 June 2020, 21:46:28 »
I missed the deadline for the survey, but would like to add some feedback here as I've recently been looking at EC boards again.

With NIZ, I would prefer to see just straight up, plain keyboard with less 'frills'. RGB is fine as I can turn it off, but with NIZ, I found the emphasis on BT a disadvantage. I view keyboards as long term purchases, and expect to be using them for at least a decade. I am familiar with lithium battery lifecycles through my other hobbies and my work, and don't want them sitting and slowly losing capacity whilst sitting fully charged inside a keyboard chassis. I know I can replace lithium secondaries, but I don't want to go to the hassle of sourcing and soldering for a function that I don't use.

I would deliberately avoid a BT board unless I considered it disposable, or if I could easily remove the battery (in which case I'd prefer not to pay for the battery and neutered BT functionality in the first place).

I really like some of the NIZ offerings, and was thinking of getting one for a family member. But when I realised all of the offerings that don't run crazy light 35g domes also have BT, started looking around for other options like Abko instead.
« Last Edit: Sat, 06 June 2020, 22:28:40 by jamster »

Offline harahyuna

« Reply #25 on: Mon, 03 August 2020, 07:47:55 »
I would love to see Black cases for Full size keyboards with Top facing legends either by Doubleshot or Dyesub. Black color matches a lot of home desk setups and would be preferred in many offices.

Having 55g as an option in more standard layouts for many tactile lovers out there would also be great.
« Last Edit: Mon, 03 August 2020, 08:01:57 by harahyuna »

Offline HungerMechanic

« Reply #26 on: Tue, 04 August 2020, 10:01:58 »
Yes, it's shocking that they don't offer black cases in their full-size keyboards. And they need dye-sub / doubleshot.

Offline RedJohn456

« Reply #27 on: Tue, 04 August 2020, 15:37:00 »
I am a huge fan of EC switches and keyboards in general. I have already checked out your line-up and the only feedback that is the QC for the sliders and housing need work. NIZ boards would otherwise be the perfect option for those looking to use MX style keycaps with their EC boards. Unlike your competitors you offer a wide variety of form factors and that is important for a lot of people, myself included.

I initially wanted to go for NIZ but after trying out my friends board, the inconsistencies in the sliders led me to consider other options, but I have always kept an eye on the NIZ offerings in the hopes that this will be rectified. The stock keycaps are honestly really good and even the upcoming KBDfans HHKB project will be using Niz sliders and housings.

If you guys can tighten up the QC around housings and sliders, and the feeling of the domes (the travel distance felt uneven on your earlier boards) the boards will reach the topre diehards too. I only got into EC boards earlier this year but I have already tried my share of boards and can't wait to try the new NIZ offerings when they are out. It would be amazing to have wireless capability and MX stems without forking over a fortune for multiple boards just to harvest specific sliders.

Offline SwooshyCueb

« Reply #28 on: Sun, 04 October 2020, 13:35:11 »
I only just now saw this survey, or I would've responded before it closed.

I own several NiZ keyboards:
  • ABKO HACKER K965P V2 55g
  • ABKO HACKER K985P V2 55g
  • NiZ micro84 BLE 45g
  • NiZ micro84 BLE 35g
  • NiZ mini84 BLE 45g
  • NiZ Plum 21EC 45g
  • HANSUNG GTune GK893B Sports 50g
  • HANSUNG GTune GK888B Minicoup 50g

Here's my feedback:

One thing I've noticed among my 45g boards is that some of them feel a lot more tactile than the others. For example, my 45g mini84 feels way more tactile than my 45g micro84. I much prefer the more tactile feeling ones.

My favorite in terms of keyfeel is the 55g K965P/K985P V2. I know for some folks 55g is a bit much, but for me, the weighting and tactility are perfect.
However, when travelling, I prefer my 45g mini84. I cannot always have good posture when I am away from a desk, and the lighter weighting is better for those situations.

On some of these boards, the indicator lights are under/behind the relevant keys, and I really like this.

All of the boards with detachable cables use USB-C or USB Mini. I like this. The durability of USB Micro is abysmal and has caused me no end of troubles.

It would be nice if the keyboards supported QMK firmware. That said, in terms of software, yours is defintely better than most.

I'm not a fan of the RGB/backlighting implementation in your boards. I prefer the lighting to come through the legends and not through the gaps between the keycaps. The best implementation I have seen of this so far would have to be the light pipes in the Logitech/Omron ROMER-G keyswitches, though I'm not sure their solution is applicable to your switches.