Author Topic: Tips on getting a GMK group buy going?  (Read 5130 times)

Offline tigersharkdude

• * Destiny Supporter
Tips on getting a GMK group buy going?
« on: Sat, 16 January 2016, 11:15:36 »
First, if I missed a thread like this please point me in the right direction.

I'm wanting to try to get a GMK Spacebar group buy going, could anybody give me any tips? Info I'm trying to find;

* Who would be the person to contact fir manufacturing?

* For a first time GB, should I limit it to CONUS?

* Where is a good place for cheap, bulk mailing envelopes?

Sorry about the noob questions.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
Re: Tips on getting a GMK group buy going?
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 16 January 2016, 18:40:43 »
I cannot assist with most queries, but can offer a suggestion.

Do not limit to CONUS only.  Canadians tend to get a bit upset, and the rest of the world will be left wanting these desirable keycaps.

I'm not sure if it has been done before, but you could try arranging a proxy in each non-CONUS country and do a single bulk shipment of keycaps there, which would greatly limit the number of overseas packages you would need to send.  This approach has been suggested to save a couple of malingering group buys, and quite a few people have offered to act as proxies for their respective countries or regions.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline xondat

• i'm not a star
  • * Maker
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 16 January 2016, 19:05:42 »
Limit to CONUS and I'll fly over to you and slap you :p Don't limit your audience. No harm in them knowing shipping is slightly more.

Offline ghostjuggernaut

• * Curator
« Reply #3 on: Sat, 16 January 2016, 19:09:52 »
You'll want to speak to Christoph at GMK. If you send them an email through their website, he will most likely be the one who replies. He handles all of the mockup and pricing questions.

USPS flat rate is IMO the best option for sending packaged. They have free boxes, and you can print labels through their site with ease. Stick on labels are really cheap through amazon as well.

And yeah, don't limit to conus. You will need all the help you can get to meet MOQ.

Additionally, don't forget all of the PayPal issues RGBYK and njbair had.

Offline heedpantsnow

• * Esteemed Elder
  • Old enough to know better
« Reply #4 on: Sat, 16 January 2016, 19:15:19 »
Are you only wanting to do space bars?
I'm back.

Espresso machine overhaul: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=78261.0

Carbon Fiber keyboard base: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54825

Offline tigersharkdude

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #5 on: Sat, 16 January 2016, 20:36:29 »
Thanks for the replies everyone.

Are you only wanting to do space bars?

This would be my first ever attempt at a GB so I wouldn't want to do to much in case of ****ups.

If another person, with experience running a GB, wanted to help I would more than welcome the help.

Offline HannahPeach

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 17 January 2016, 01:15:20 »
Provided that you are getting ab GB going, if you need somebody in the EU to distribute in EU I'd be down to help you out!

Would safe a lot of people quite a bit of custom fees I think.

Offline tigersharkdude

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #7 on: Sun, 17 January 2016, 08:48:03 »
Interest Check is up. If anyone thinks I should add/change anything LMK
https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=78780.0

Offline swimmingbird

• * Elevated Elder
  • keyset hoarder
« Reply #8 on: Tue, 19 January 2016, 22:59:56 »
You'll want to speak to Christoph at GMK. If you send them an email through their website, he will most likely be the one who replies. He handles all of the mockup and pricing questions.

USPS flat rate is IMO the best option for sending packaged. They have free boxes, and you can print labels through their site with ease. Stick on labels are really cheap through amazon as well.

And yeah, don't limit to conus. You will need all the help you can get to meet MOQ.

Additionally, don't forget all of the PayPal issues RGBYK and njbair had.

jdcarpe had a really good tip for avoiding this problem by charging for the GB as a service on the invoice rather than goods

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 20 January 2016, 05:35:13 »
Condiering the very long time that is necessary to organize a group buy, you should absolutely contact them to ask about the uniqey thing.

I think that they plan to allow individuals to order keycaps sets in a very big number of combinations - colors. This could potentially make your gmk group buy completely unattractive... Unless the project has been shelved or delayed.

Offline tigersharkdude

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 20 January 2016, 06:53:40 »
Condiering the very long time that is necessary to organize a group buy, you should absolutely contact them to ask about the uniqey thing.

I think that they plan to allow individuals to order keycaps sets in a very big number of combinations - colors. This could potentially make your gmk group buy completely unattractive... Unless the project has been shelved or delayed.

Ive heard back from GMK, the MOQ is 150.

The spacebar buy is currently on hold. Working with a few other members on different project that will also include spacebars

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #11 on: Wed, 20 January 2016, 07:02:51 »

Ive heard back from GMK, the MOQ is 150.

The spacebar buy is currently on hold. Working with a few other members on different project that will also include spacebars

Is uniqey, with its custom keycaps shop gonna happen or not? This is question. I don't understand why you talk about moq.

Offline iamtootallforthis

• Something a lot Funnier
  • * Global Moderator
  • I like green stuffs.
    • WTB/WTTF Thread
« Reply #12 on: Wed, 20 January 2016, 12:28:44 »
People will get pissed off regardless of how transparent you are with the buy.

Read the last couple of pages of the GMK Hyperfuse buy.

Offline tigersharkdude

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 20 January 2016, 13:47:44 »
I don't understand why you talk about moq.

Quote from: Response from GMK
The current MOQ for our keycaps is 150pcs. per key. In your case this means 150pcs. of every different color.

That's why

Offline billnye

• ability man
« Reply #14 on: Wed, 20 January 2016, 13:53:28 »
I would recommend making a separate bank account for group buy money. Next I would research the rates your bank charges for USD to EUR conversion. Most banks don't give you the most favorable rate. Also look into the procedure for starting an international wire transfer.

Also, make sure you're very specific on how people fill out the order form. This will save you lots of time when you get to shipping.

Charge a little extra on everything. There are going to be costs that are not apparent at first (customs charge, USPS price increase, etc.)

You can order flat rate boxes on the USPS website. They will be delivered to your door for free. For international, you can order bubble mailers on Amazon Prime.

I would be happy to help you out in any way I could, just let me know :thumb:
« Last Edit: Wed, 20 January 2016, 13:56:29 by billnye »

Offline tigersharkdude

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #15 on: Wed, 20 January 2016, 14:01:28 »
I would recommend making a separate bank account for group buy money. Next I would research the rates your bank charges for USD to EUR conversion. Most banks don't give you the most favorable rate. Also look into the procedure for starting an international wire transfer.

Also, make sure you're very specific on how people fill out the order form. This will save you lots of time when you get to shipping.

Charge a little extra on everything. There are going to be costs that are not apparent at first (customs charge, USPS price increase, etc.)

You can order flat rate boxes on the USPS website. They will be delivered to your door for free. For international, you can order bubble mailers on Amazon Prime.

Gracias senor. Exactly the type of response I was looking for.

There are so many things to a gb, and with some people being "unfriendly", I'm unsure if it's even worth the headache.

Ih, and with you talking of shipping international, I've already had 2 well known euro members contact me in regards to being proxies

Offline billnye

• ability man
« Reply #16 on: Wed, 20 January 2016, 14:22:41 »

There are so many things to a gb, and with some people being "unfriendly", I'm unsure if it's even worth the headache.

Ih, and with you talking of shipping international, I've already had 2 well known euro members contact me in regards to being proxies
Don't worry about the unfriendly people. The vast majority of people you deal with are very friendly and helpful.

With regards to international, unless it's a huge group buy, I don't think proxies would be worth it. Once you get a rhythm for making the labels it goes by pretty fast. You can streamline the process further by knowing the weight of each object you're sending so you don't have to weigh every single package.

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #17 on: Wed, 20 January 2016, 14:41:21 »

Don't worry about the unfriendly people. The vast majority of people you deal with are very friendly and helpful.

With regards to international, unless it's a huge group buy, I don't think proxies would be worth it. Once you get a rhythm for making the labels it goes by pretty fast. You can streamline the process further by knowing the weight of each object you're sending so you don't have to weigh every single package.

What sucks is USPS just doubled the cheapest USPS First Class International rate.

Offline Giorgio

« Reply #18 on: Wed, 20 January 2016, 14:49:22 »

The current MOQ for our keycaps is 150pcs. per key. In your case this means 150pcs. of every different color.

That's why

What I was trying to say is that if and when gmk uniqey will set up an online shop, it will make no sense to start a group buy, that's what I meant, and you keep saying the moq is 150  :eek:  :))

Offline SpAmRaY

• NOT a Moderator
  • * Certified Spammer
  • because reasons.......
« Reply #19 on: Wed, 20 January 2016, 14:53:44 »

That's why

What I was trying to say is that if and when gmk uniqey will set up an online shop, it will make no sense to start a group buy, that's what I meant, and you keep saying the moq is 150  :eek:  :))

Nobody but GMK knows what uniqey will be about if and when it ever happens. For all we know they might charge $300 for a keyboard with a "custom" keyset.

Regardless of what uniqey is and or does group buys will always fill a gap.