Author Topic: [IC] GMK Hinokoku  (Read 28879 times)

Offline GingGing

[IC] GMK Hinokoku
« on: Wed, 07 October 2020, 14:14:41 »

Welcome to the interest check for GMK Hinokoku
Introduction:
GMK Hinokoku is a keycap set inspired by the fire nation from Avatar the Last Airbender. The name itself translates to "Fire Nation" in Japanese. It tries to capture the vibe of the Fire Nation from the show with the same color scheme of the clothes they wear, which is dark red modifiers, light red alphas, and yellow legends and accents. Additionally, the novelties which are designed by Ulliam have some cool icons
inspired by the show including the royal hairpiece that Prince Zuko wears. It will be cherry profile and contains colors from the RAL color set which are displayed below. Please let us know what you think about the key set and leave your thoughts below!

Kits:
Base kit:

Contains compatibility for the following: 60%, 65%, 75%, TKL, 95% Full sized.
Also includes compatibility for HHKB with extra keys to support more layouts and form factors within those sizes.

Hiragana Alphas:

Add these to your base kit for a nice Japanese vibe.

Spacebars:

Add these on if you want some extra compatibility for the layout you are using, especially good for Alice Layouts

Novelties by Ulliam:

These novelties designed by Ulliam can add a great finishing touch to your build by including some clean icons inspired by the show such as Zuko's scarred eye or his royal hairpiece.

Matching Deskmats:

Choose between two fantastic desk mats that perfectly match the keyset! The first one has art of the original fire-benders, and the second the Chinese character for fire.

More Info

IC Form:
https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1T0kIcosoii5peT4opri9gfpyNSoJVs1IdUzBY0UPMXY/edit
Fill out the form and let us know what you like and what we can improve on!

Colors Used:

Vendors
At the moment we are still in the IC phase of this Group Buy, but we should be able to pitch to some vendors soon!

Board Render:

« Last Edit: Tue, 05 January 2021, 15:04:39 by GingGing »

Offline frostykoala

• consider Nightlight
    • Check out some Renders :)
Re: [IC] GMK Fire Nation
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 07 October 2020, 14:15:17 »
reserved

Offline huey

« Reply #2 on: Wed, 07 October 2020, 14:21:38 »
brb, grabbing my popcorn.

Offline HoodrowThrillson

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 07 October 2020, 14:24:48 »
brb, grabbing my popcorn.
want some of mine?
[Mostly] Retired from Keyboards
Typing on: TKL One - Zealios v1 - 55g TX Springs, TX Films, Lubed with 205g0 - Xiami Beige Cadet + RGB
Collection: IDB60 (gone), Austere (gone), Matrix 1.2og (gone), Matrix 2.0add (gone), RS (so lit), Infinitum (gone), THRILL Proto (destroyed), Matrix 2.0add xmas Starry Night (gone), RS60 (traded), MC65 (traded), Jane v1 CE (gone), GSKT-00 (gone), TKL One Poly (returned), TKL One, RS60, Serenity Proto, Boulevard Proto

Offline Lil

• designedbydark
« Reply #4 on: Wed, 07 October 2020, 14:25:36 »
253203-0

Offline bbrian122

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 07 October 2020, 14:27:12 »
A fire nation is going to attack

Offline elmo

• Hello I like keyboards
    • Elmo's keyboards
« Reply #6 on: Wed, 07 October 2020, 14:27:15 »
this is basically KAT Explosion in GMK

Offline huey

« Reply #7 on: Wed, 07 October 2020, 14:27:40 »

Offline nu_types

• Formerly Iredeus
« Reply #8 on: Wed, 07 October 2020, 14:28:07 »

Offline Vaiur

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 07 October 2020, 14:32:44 »
Let me get some of that popcorn
CB87:Sakabato Black/Red/Brass | Think6.5v2 Deep Ocean 1u | Alpine65 eWhite | Vega Grey | RAMA u80a SEQ2 Sage | Iron165 r2 Graphite | Mode80 Lotus | Geon Frog F12 Black | Keycult 2/65 Purple Unfinish | Geon F2-84 Black | JJW Cloudline Navy/Silver | Iron165 r2 PC Atomic Purple

Offline DrHigsby

• The doctor is in.
« Reply #10 on: Wed, 07 October 2020, 14:33:27 »
You guys have popcorn??

Offline beigeandbrown

« Reply #11 on: Wed, 07 October 2020, 14:34:41 »
gmk red dragon explosion

Offline Anthixious

« Reply #12 on: Wed, 07 October 2020, 14:35:28 »
Ah yes, of course right after the completion of KAT Mizu. Everything was fine.....but, everything changed when the Fire Nation attacked.

Super excited for this set. I'm pretty sure I'll have a few pointers along the way as I'm an Avatar watcher myself :thumb:

Offline yoniwolf1202

« Reply #13 on: Wed, 07 October 2020, 14:36:00 »
I have M&Ms if that's your thing.

Offline xNoodles

« Reply #14 on: Wed, 07 October 2020, 14:39:14 »
GMK Explosion? I'm down

Offline dededecline

• Linktree
« Reply #15 on: Wed, 07 October 2020, 14:39:26 »
You popcorn lovers are missing out on some amazing flaming fire flakes

Offline yui_

« Reply #16 on: Wed, 07 October 2020, 14:39:34 »
i love megumin but not comfy buying kat, so i had to pass on kat explosion. glad that i'll be able to get that same colour way in gmk. glwic.
~~
:popcorn:

Offline KuroTheCrazy

« Reply #17 on: Wed, 07 October 2020, 14:40:42 »
idk it looks really close to gmk olivia++ to me

Offline Blastoise

« Reply #18 on: Wed, 07 October 2020, 14:40:52 »
IMO this is better than the gmk red dragon. Auto pickup

Offline keyrinn

« Reply #19 on: Wed, 07 October 2020, 14:41:43 »
Wow, what an original set. Really distinguishes itself from anything else out there, I have absolutely never seen an IC quite this unique before. I applaud you for your creativity, as I'm sure everything about this was completely your own idea.

Offline SenseiJia

• Hey you.
« Reply #20 on: Wed, 07 October 2020, 14:42:11 »
Flameo Hotman

Offline Regret

• I regret nothing
« Reply #21 on: Wed, 07 October 2020, 14:44:26 »
gmk wang fire
No.2 Rev.1 | Gat Black Inks | OG Dyesubs \\ No.1/65 Silver & Brass | Retooled Cherry Blacks | GMK Coniferous \\ Ai03 Lunar | SKCM Blues | AEK \\ Aeryx Aegis 1800 | C3 Tangerines | GMK WoB

Offline navierwasstoked

« Reply #22 on: Wed, 07 October 2020, 14:45:53 »
Wow it's really cool knowing that Rensuya decided to go with GMK Explosion /s

Offline ddrfraser1

• RIP Neil
« Reply #23 on: Wed, 07 October 2020, 14:48:14 »
And what's with the 2 threads?

Offline bisoromi

• Formerly Duwang
  • owo
« Reply #24 on: Wed, 07 October 2020, 14:48:23 »
I feel like similar colorways already exist, but I guess that hasn't stopped a group buy before
(credits to Kokaloo)

Offline KebinPls

• OK
    • Insta
« Reply #25 on: Wed, 07 October 2020, 14:49:50 »
oh hey, it's KAT explosion. guess we're really all out of ideas

Offline ebastler

« Reply #26 on: Wed, 07 October 2020, 14:50:42 »

Offline of_sam

« Reply #27 on: Wed, 07 October 2020, 14:51:03 »
Typing on: HHKB Pro 2 - Stock :aware:
Collection: F1.69, Police, Jubi, RF 87U, En Dash, Rosenthal, Soulless, Frog, Calliope, GAF 910, Sabre, W1-AT

Offline Hugs94

« Reply #28 on: Wed, 07 October 2020, 14:52:27 »
I needed some of this fire for my popcorn

Offline Xerpocalypse

• (◡ ‿ ◡ )
« Reply #30 on: Wed, 07 October 2020, 14:55:35 »
For anyone reading this who might be thinking "wow I should make an IC as well!" please consider making (considerably) more than two posts on the forum, doing some research, and getting to know the culture before you just post an interest check for something you intend to make a commercial product...

Something something this looks very similar to GMK Red Samurai and a certain KAT keyset so that might affect your market size
« Last Edit: Wed, 07 October 2020, 14:58:05 by Xerpocalypse »

Offline aadk5

• AKA: feeebleminded
« Reply #31 on: Wed, 07 October 2020, 14:59:30 »

Flamey-o hotman

Offline Raging Panda

« Reply #32 on: Wed, 07 October 2020, 15:05:24 »
Hmmm
« Last Edit: Wed, 07 October 2020, 15:14:58 by Raging Panda »

Offline cloudtastrophe

« Reply #33 on: Wed, 07 October 2020, 15:12:19 »
whats with all the negativity?

it obviously took this person a lot of time to put together this interest check. I dont see the issue with similar colored sets. The KAT Explosion set was clearly geared towards megumin fansand this set was clearly inspired by avatar and the novelties reflect that. I bought the kat explosion set and if this goes to gb id probably grab this one since in my honest opinion GMK Red Dragon fails to deliver. actually im not even sure if that set is based on avatar. this set however is much closer in theme with GMK Mizu with colors that match the animated series so I could see it being part of that "collection".

Also KAT vs Cherry etc.

Id love it if this set hit GB. Some people are just very close minded. Every keycap set has a theme that it calls home to. If im a fan of avatar id rather have a set that was based on it originally than to try and pass off a megumin set as being "fire nation" colors ya know? its the novelty of it all. When it comes to sets based on animated characters, theres only so many good looking color combinations available anyway. dont let peoples' negativity stop you. id be more worried about copyrights/licensing tbh

Offline ddrfraser1

• RIP Neil
« Reply #34 on: Wed, 07 October 2020, 15:12:39 »

Offline elmo

• Hello I like keyboards
    • Elmo's keyboards
« Reply #35 on: Wed, 07 October 2020, 15:17:10 »

it obviously took this person a lot of time to put together this interest check. I dont see the issue with similar colored sets. The KAT Explosion set was clearly geared towards megumin fansand this set was clearly inspired by avatar and the novelties reflect that. I bought the kat explosion set and if this goes to gb id probably grab this one since in my honest opinion GMK Red Dragon fails to deliver. actually im not even sure if that set is based on avatar. this set however is much closer in theme with GMK Mizu with colors that match the animated series so I could see it being part of that "collection".

Also KAT vs Cherry etc.

Id love it if this set hit GB. Some people are just very close minded. Every keycap set has a theme that it calls home to. If im a fan of avatar id rather have a set that was based on it originally than to try and pass off a megumin set as being "fire nation" colors ya know? its the novelty of it all. When it comes to sets based on animated characters, theres only so many good looking color combinations available anyway. dont let peoples' negativity stop you. id be more worried about copyrights/licensing tbh

The problem is that it:

1. Copied the colorway of KAT Explosion pretty much 1 to 1
2. Uses a (most likely) copyrighted name without having any licensing from Nickelodeon
3. This is far from a fleshed out IC. The basekit render has a ton of errors and there are no real kits whatsoever.
4. The person made an account just for posting this IC (twice by the way) so it's unlikely that they spent "a ton of time" to make this.
« Last Edit: Wed, 07 October 2020, 15:18:57 by elmo »

Offline Sabin

« Reply #36 on: Wed, 07 October 2020, 15:18:46 »
I've seen this colour scheme too many times

Offline ddrfraser1

• RIP Neil
« Reply #37 on: Wed, 07 October 2020, 15:24:10 »
I like how there are no survey options to select in the IC, just a text box for comments  :thumb:

Offline dededecline

• Linktree
« Reply #38 on: Wed, 07 October 2020, 15:34:52 »
I like how there are no survey options to select in the IC, just a text box for comments  :thumb:

They must have just changed it, there were questions before about which kits you want and if you want collabs like a BBOX60 or Nano Slider to go with the set

Offline chriszhu

• (* ̄(エ) ̄*)''
« Reply #39 on: Wed, 07 October 2020, 15:39:16 »
RIP

Offline eczactly

« Reply #40 on: Wed, 07 October 2020, 15:40:21 »

2. Uses a (most likely) copyrighted name without having any licensing from Nickelodeon

did Rise get a permission to run with the name from Nick, or did he get a licensing agreement with them?

Offline Raravin

« Reply #41 on: Wed, 07 October 2020, 15:44:32 »

did Rise get a permission to run with the name from Nick, or did he get a licensing agreement with them?

If mean Ren, he doesn't use copy righted names it's red dragon

Offline eskimojo

• KeycapLendar
« Reply #42 on: Wed, 07 October 2020, 15:49:34 »
The problem is that it:
Turns out fire and explosion based characters have similar colours, who knew?

3. This is far from a fleshed out IC. The basekit render has a ton of errors and there are no real kits whatsoever.
Agreed. (Board renders would be nice - in its current state I can't add it to KeycapLendar)

4. The person made an account just for posting this IC (twice by the way) so it's unlikely that they spent "a ton of time" to make this.
This was posted on Reddit on the 22nd of July and the 23rd of August. I don't think activity on Geekhack specifically should be used as an indicator on how much effort has been put into a set.
« Last Edit: Mon, 09 November 2020, 11:34:18 by eskimojo »

Offline JiiA

« Reply #43 on: Wed, 07 October 2020, 16:02:16 »
gmk wang fire

and then r2 electric boogaloo can be called gmk sapphire fire!

Offline fishbiscuit13

• do you realize ???
« Reply #44 on: Wed, 07 October 2020, 16:05:29 »

They must have just changed it, there were questions before about which kits you want and if you want collabs like a BBOX60 or Nano Slider to go with the set

I'm sure they've already gotten approval from Buger and Keebwerk for that, just like all the other preparation that went into this joke.

Offline Tyson

« Reply #45 on: Wed, 07 October 2020, 16:08:04 »

Also KAT vs Cherry etc.

The problem is that it:

I don't agree with comparing the posts from Reddit and Geekhack, as both places are wildly different, one is geared towards the general public, while the other is geared towards the more in depth keyboard community.

But, more points that could be made,
5. No communication with Rensuya at all to hash things out with the colorway.
6. Deciding to IC this during the GMK Red Dragon group buy month.

I don't see anything wrong with another Fire Nation theme, but like I feel as if you probably should have worked on the colorway to distinguish it from any other colorway out there. Making it the same colors that were used by Rensuya for KAT Explosion in the exact same way then just calling it GMK Fire Nation when Rensuya is running GMK Red Dragon makes me believe that his designs influenced you in a way. I could be totally wrong though, there has been times where someone new in the community makes something that has already been designed.

Offline yicaoyimu

« Reply #46 on: Wed, 07 October 2020, 16:18:53 »
idk it looks really close to gmk olivia++ to me

Looks the same as GMK Minimal to me.
KMAC2 - Matrix Lab 8XV2.0 - TGR Jane v2 CE - KBD8X MKII - Meridian - Matrix Lab Noah - Fallacy x2 - MGA Standard - Geon Frog mini - Amano - Ciel60 - Prime_Elise - Matrix Lab 6XV3.0 aka Corsa

Offline Rebral

• .::.::.::.::.
« Reply #47 on: Wed, 07 October 2020, 16:24:18 »
Oh boy, those colors.

Oh boy, this whole thread.

Offline eskimojo

• KeycapLendar
« Reply #48 on: Wed, 07 October 2020, 16:25:35 »
Making it the same colors that were used by Rensuya for KAT Explosion in the exact same way then just calling it GMK Fire Nation when Rensuya is running GMK Red Dragon makes me believe that his designs influenced you in a way. I could be totally wrong though, there has been times where someone new in the community makes something that has already been designed.

Offline Allkchi

« Reply #49 on: Wed, 07 October 2020, 16:38:51 »
I'm not saying it's not similar, but just eyeballing these two sets there is an obvious similarity. That being said, they're still different colorways. The general theme/feel is the same, but those are different colors even to my terrible eyes. The IC does say it's super early days, but the biggest issues that need to be cleared up are speaking with the creator of Explosion since it's close and getting their blessing AND changing the damn title. Copyright about to smite this IC.