Author Topic: [GB] Austin - Compact Fullsize(Finished)  (Read 50372 times)

Offline driftingbunnies

[GB] Austin - Compact Fullsize(Finished)
« on: Sat, 21 September 2019, 08:40:19 »
Raffle form for Austin Extras
Google Form

Raffle form will close on Feb 1st
Extras info: $525 for base kit (brass plate, pcb, case, etc)
Extra PCB - $60
Extra plate - Brass $45, PC $40
Extra PCBWay PCB - $40

For those in the GB, please check the second post for all updates or head on over to the discord for more details.

ALL SLOTS FILLED! THANKS EVERYONE FOR YOUR SUPPORT. For those who are interested in extras, they will be available after all GB units have been shipped.

Austin - A compact keyboard for your full size needs.

Design

The Austin was created with the intention of providing a layout that included a full sized numpad without being a full size board. For those who use the numpad on a daily basis or have the muscle memory of using it for any or all numbers, transitioning to a numpadless keyboard or a keyboard with a 1u '0' can be difficult. The 2u '0' is the spacebar for numbers and having to adjust your thumb to accommodate for a 1u '0' will annoy even the best bean counters.The Austin provides an all-in-one package for the keyboard enthusiast who wants a high end keyboard for their home or office needs.

Ergonomics

Since this board is meant to be used all day, we wanted a comfortable angle for most typists. The 5.5 degree slope is an angle that will accommodate for tall keycaps like SA or MT3 profiles but also feels good with the cherry profile keycaps. Our vision for this board is to create a board that includes a full sized numpad while reducing the footprint on your desk. By no means are we calling this a small board but with the compressed layout, the keyboard is 2u thinner than a full size keyboard or 2u wider than a TKL.

Materials

The Austin case will be made out of anodized 6063 grade aluminum, and the weight will be sandblasted raw brass that has been finished with a protective oil to prevent fingerprints. The sandblasted brass has an elegant aesthetic and contrasts nicely with the aluminum chassis. Plate materials will be available in Sandblasted brass (one will be included in the base kit) and Polycarbonate. Brass provides a consistent typing experience across the board no matter which key you press. Polycarbonate will flex up and down more freely for those looking for a more flexible typing experience.

Mounting Method

When I initially brought the idea to the designer PheonixStarr, gasket mounts were barely a thing. So I decided to stick with the top mount method which has been proven to be a solid formula. Boards that are TKL or smaller can benefit from a gasket mount if executed correctly. Gaskets suspend the plates so that there is no metal on metal contact and are meant to dampen vibrations during typing. However, due to the size of the Austin, the gaskets would get too compressed to actually have an effect and could possibly cause additional vibrations. As you can see from the displacement map, the top mount provides a consistent feel across the board.

Layout & PCB

We partnered with Gondolindrim ("Gondo") to create a high quality PCB that will be made available to the public once the GB is over. Gondo currently manages the Acheron Project, an open sourced repository that features fifteen PCBs that are either released or in the GB stage. Our main goal was to make a straightforward layout to reduce the amount of "swiss cheese" and provide a functional and practical layout. The layout provides a few options, such as stepped caps lock, split backspace, two different bottom rows, and split 0's. After considering the feedback from the interest check, we have decided to include ISO compatibility on the PCB, but plates will need to reach an MOQ of 10 before being produced. See below for more details.

https://gondolindrim.github.io/AcheronDocs/austin/intro.html

Disclaimer: Currently, QMK does not support backlight realtime control with the ARM chip utilized in the PCB. If you plan to use backlight LEDs, the PCB will need to be flashed in order to turn them on and off. Hopefully, there will be QMK support by the time we receive the PCBs, but there are no guarantees or ETA for when the feature will be available. If you have any issues with the firmware, feel free to ask in our Discord.

Specs:
  • Full aluminum top and bottom case
  • 5.5 degree slope
  • Sandblasted raw brass weight
  • Sandblasted raw brass plate
  • PCB is QMK compatible
  • USB C (centered)
  • Top mounted

Anodized Color Options:
  • Oynx Black
  • Sterling Silver
  • Titanium Gray
  • Navy Blue

Price: (not inclusive of transaction (3%) and shipping fees)
  • Base kit (Aluminum case, Brass plate, Brass weight, PCB) - $475
  • Extra PCB - $60
  • Extra Brass Plate - $45
  • Extra PC Plate (ANSI only) - $40

ISO: (Please read if you will be using ISO)

Brass ISO plates have a MOQ of 10 units (PC plates will not be available in ISO). If there are less than 10 people who are interested in using ISO, we will send the ISO plate file for ISO users to cut their own plates and reduce the base cost for those individuals to $450. If there is anyone who selected ISO but is okay with using ANSI if the MOQ of 10 is not met, please message me in Discord.

Shipping

Shipping will be from the U.S. Shipping costs will depend on your location. The shipping fee will be invoiced when keyboards are ready. If you need an estimate, message me, and I can use your address from the form to give you a rough estimate of how much it will cost.

GB Method

GB will be FCFS through Google forms. Please read carefully before submitting. The form will close in 1 week or after 40 orders have been submitted. I will be using Square to send invoices due to PayPal complications. Payment is due upon receipt of invoice.

Lead Time

3-4 months

B-Stock/Quality disclosure

If we're unable to receive enough A-stock boards to fulfill the 40 open spots, we will reach out and offer B-stock pricing starting from the bottom of the list (#40). The discount will be at the discretion of the GB runner. If the discount/B-stock is not accepted, the GB runner can refund the spot and the B-stock will be available as an extra.

Updates

Updates will be provided whenever they are available. Normally during the first month or two during production, there will not be any updates besides the boards being in production. Once we are getting closer to the end of the lead time, I will provide as many updates as the manufacturer will provide me. I will update the GB post for all relevant updates               

Thanks everyone for your support!
« Last Edit: Thu, 06 February 2020, 20:10:36 by driftingbunnies »

Offline driftingbunnies

Re: [GB] Austin - Compact Full size Keyboard (starts 9/29 9AMCT)
« Reply #1 on: Sat, 21 September 2019, 09:21:13 »
More
9/29/19 - Added order check, please make sure everything looks good or message me in Discord for any changes. Your unique ID will be the first letter of your first name, last letter of your last name, and last 3 digits on your phone number. ex. Jon Smith 555-555-1234 = JH234
9/29/19 - Invoices have been sent. Please let me know if there will be any changes needed to your order. Shipping invoices will be sent closer to shipping date. I should have boxes and everything finalized within the next couple weeks so if you want an estimated shipping cost, please contact me in a few weeks and I can look it up.
9/30/19 - Sent shipping estimates. Please check your email or go to the discord server to see the amounts.
10/3/19 - Received payment for all the invoices! China is still on holiday but we'll be making payment as soon as they're back so we can start production. All other pieces for the GB (packaging, etc) have already been ordered or are in hand.
10/8/19 - Payment was made to manufacturer and production has been arranged to start. I plan to receive a few boards as production samples and will give the thumbs up to continue production if everything looks good. I will post photos as soon as any are available.
10/16/19 - PCB orders have been placed and production has started on that front. There is a slight change to the screw holes and the bumpon indention on the case which led to a few days of going back and forth with the manufacturer. Production is underway now.
10/25/19 - No real update currently. PCBs are almost done being manufactured and then assembly of the PCBs will start.
10/31/19 - All of the machining for the cases are almost done. Next step will be anodizing.
On the PCB front, PCBs are currently being assembled and estimated ship date is 11/9. There's no progress indicator for assembly so that date may change.
Everything else is currently in my possession (i.e. screws, bumpons, packaging, etc)
11/13/19 - PCBs should get to me at the end of the week. I will then flash and test them. Cases are currently being anodized and weights/plates are waiting to be sandblasted.
11/22/19 - I received a few pictures of the cases from the manufacturer and have posted them in the discord server. The cases are still being anodized and the brass pieces are waiting to be sandblasted. I received the PCBs yesterday and will need to work on some kinks in the firmware.
11/25/19 - I am working through flashing all of the PCBs. For the most part, all of them are functional after flashing the firmware. There are some PCBs with scuffs and marks on it. Hopefully there will be enough good enough to meet all the GB needs but I'm currently in contact with the PCB manu to let them know how many they might need to remake. Most of the brass pieces have been sandblasted but now they need to apply the protective oil. Titanium Gray cases will need to be reanodized. The current formula for the color will streak during anodizing so the manufacturer is looking to adjust the formula with different chemicals.
11/26/19 - Update on PCBS. I've gone through flashing half of the PCBs and good news, they're 99% functioning. There is one missing a diode but other than that, they are all working. However, some have some large scuffs, scratches, warping, or are just plain dirty. I've reached out to the manufacturer (PCBWay for those thinking of using them) and I'm trying to find a resolution. We might not have enough time to reorder more (~35/100 were affected) so here is my solution. I think we have enough A/A- stock PCBs to be included for everyone. If PCBWay isn't able to send me more A stock PCBs, all the extra PCBs might be a B stock which means there might be scuffs that will not affect functionality. In that scenario, I will offer a $10 discount applied to the shipping invoice for those who bought an extra PCB. I hope everyone understands.

(12/16/19) - Update on cases, PCBs, and shipping

1. Gray Cases - The third batch of materials is taking longer than expected. The manu ordered the material from a further supplier and the pieces took longer to machine since we were waiting for time on the production line. The manu decided to just split the shipping so they'll be shipping the other colors first. (We're looking at shipping the other colors this week). They're still determined to make the gray work for us so those will be delayed a bit. If you would rather have a different color, DM me and I can put you on a waitlist. I have extras of each color so I might be able to send those if you want to swap. However, since I don't have the cases yet and do not know if there are any B-stock at the moment, this option might change.

2. PCBs - PCBWay's replacement PCBs are just as bad or worse than the B stock from the original batch so I'll be discounting extras by $10. If you would like to order an extra but did not the first time around, DM me and I can add it to your shipping invoice.

3. Shipping - I'll round the estimates all to the nearest $5 to make it easy for everyone so US - $30, Canada - $65, Brazil - $80, EU - $75, Asia - $85

Lastly - Since the manu is planning to ship the other colors this week, realistically, the earliest I will start shipping will be after Christmas. Once I get the cases, I will start invoicing those whose cases are ready and will ship in order of whoever pays me first. Thanks for all your patience and helping me make this happen  :)

(12/21/19) Some good news and bad news....

Good news - The blue, black, and silver cases are with me now. So far, I've gone through the blue cases and there are enough A stock for everyone in the GB. I'll continue my way through the other colors to make sure everything looks good.

Now the bad news - So before production, we flipped the spacebar and 2u 0 stabs to be south facing due to feedback we received and this in turn adds a bit of height to the PCB. Due to some miscommunication and my lack of oversight, the PCB is just a tiny bit too tall for the case so it doesn't really fit. Please come and check the discord to see the issue. If you're comfortable shaving off a little bit of the PCB in the four spots, I can ship out your board now. For those who want to wait, my solution is to order new PCBs that will fit once I can get Gondo to make the changes. I apologize for the delays with the gray cases and now this. This will come out of my pocket and I will be expediting the PCBs so that the delay will be shortened. This does come with a silver lining. I will not be ordering from PCBWay so I'm hoping to get better PCBs this time around.

I hope that the fact that most of the boards are done and my communication on these issues will ease your minds that I'm not going to run away with your money because your money has obviously been put to good use. If you have any questions, please feel free to message me and hopefully I can address any concerns you may have.

12/31/19 - Received the Gray cases and am currently going through the QC process. I've QC'd about 1/3 so far. I've also placed the order for the updated PCBs and have paid extra to rush production to finish before CNY. If anyone is ok with sanding down the taller PCBs (takes about 5 mins), please let me know and I can send yours out earlier. Happy New Year!

01/07/20 - QC'd all the gray cases! I'll be trying to get a head start on the PCBs by packing up all the cases and accessories first so when they come in, I'll do a test build and pack them all up right after to reduce any delays. Thanks everyone for your patience!

01/17/20 - Received PCBs! Sending shipping invoices soon and will send out as soon as possible. Please contact me on discord if you have any last minute changes!

01/20/20 - Shipped! Only 3 shipping invoices remaining. All domestic and CAN packages should arrive by the end of the week. International should hopefully be next week. Please check your emails for shipping invoices/tracking numbers. Thanks everyone!

01/28/20 - All have been shipped! Waiting for the int'l packages to be delivered. Winners of extras should receive invoices or I'll be reaching out on the 2/2.

2/1/20 - Invoice for extras are out! Only 2 need to pay. All other boards have already been shipped and should arrive at the end of next week.
« Last Edit: Sat, 01 February 2020, 19:59:09 by driftingbunnies »

Offline Capsy

Re: [GB] Austin - Compact Full size Keyboard (starts 9/29 9AM CT)
« Reply #2 on: Sat, 21 September 2019, 15:03:08 »
Finally !!! Let's go

Offline runnez

« Reply #3 on: Sat, 21 September 2019, 16:36:39 »
It's Happening  :)

Offline stillzman

« Reply #4 on: Sat, 21 September 2019, 17:36:48 »
:)

Offline blakstealth

« Reply #5 on: Sun, 22 September 2019, 11:36:39 »
looks fantastic!

Offline kaziolas

« Reply #6 on: Sun, 22 September 2019, 13:52:00 »
What a shame its not TKL

Offline driftingbunnies

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 22 September 2019, 13:54:20 »
What a shame its not TKL

Then we wouldn't be accomplishing the goal that we set out...

Offline Whale_algorithm

« Reply #8 on: Mon, 23 September 2019, 08:55:48 »
I like that someone is doing a full sized build. Which keycap set is this?
https://www.instagram.com/p/B2RyV6qntvU/

Offline soupymeatballs

« Reply #9 on: Mon, 23 September 2019, 09:02:35 »
I like that someone is doing a full sized build. Which keycap set is this?
https://www.instagram.com/p/B2RyV6qntvU/

That looks like GMK Muted with the Cyan/Purple Accent kit

Offline Saga

• Pew Pew Particle Accelerators
« Reply #10 on: Mon, 23 September 2019, 15:50:20 »
This is a small fortune but I may get in on it. I need the numpad for work pretty badly.

Offline Mcnos

• GMK Fuyu
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 23 September 2019, 16:52:16 »
This is pretty BA

Offline J3ff_Leopard

• Wishlist
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 24 September 2019, 14:30:24 »
What a shame its not TKL

Thank goodness it's not another TKL.
WTB Resin Cast Click Clack Leaf

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #13 on: Tue, 24 September 2019, 14:48:33 »
I have always been a fan of compact full-size boards. This definitely interests me but wish for another color option. A sky blue or crimson red would go perfect in my opinion.
TGR-Jane CE | TGR-Tris CE | Lyn Montage | LZ PhysiX | Exclusive e8.5

Offline driftingbunnies

« Reply #14 on: Tue, 24 September 2019, 14:59:43 »
I have always been a fan of compact full-size boards. This definitely interests me but wish for another color option. A sky blue or crimson red would go perfect in my opinion.

If there was enough interest, those could have been an option. Unfortunately, red was about half as popular as Silver which would have resulted in maybe 1 or possibly 2 boards out of the whole GB. We will have to see how this GB goes first.

Offline Steezus

• Keeper of Facts
  • * Elevated Elder
« Reply #15 on: Tue, 24 September 2019, 15:06:25 »

If there was enough interest, those could have been an option. Unfortunately, red was about half as popular as Silver which would have resulted in maybe 1 or possibly 2 boards out of the whole GB. We will have to see how this GB goes first.

That's a shame, I had missed the IC entirely to provide any input. It appears to me that the market has been a bit saturated and has made it more difficult for GBs.
TGR-Jane CE | TGR-Tris CE | Lyn Montage | LZ PhysiX | Exclusive e8.5

Offline melgeek

• MelGeek-Keyboards and Peripherals Manufacture
    • MelGeek
« Reply #16 on: Tue, 24 September 2019, 21:45:06 »
 :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:
MelGeek- aim to bring the joy of using a mechanical keyboard to everyone.

Offline ilemondrop

« Reply #17 on: Tue, 24 September 2019, 22:14:23 »
Man do i want this board, but those duties are going to be so bad coming into Canada my god.

Offline driftingbunnies

« Reply #18 on: Tue, 24 September 2019, 22:16:07 »
Man do i want this board, but those duties are going to be so bad coming into Canada my god.

Maybe you can make a trip to the US to pick it up  :))

Offline Rebecca_Zhang

« Reply #19 on: Wed, 25 September 2019, 22:32:51 »
It's coming soon,so excited!wish all the best :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

Offline clickmock

« Reply #20 on: Fri, 27 September 2019, 17:27:38 »
So hyped for this board! Love that it's fullsize and not another TKL--better for home defense  ;D

Offline octix

« Reply #21 on: Sun, 29 September 2019, 07:50:50 »
Ooooo looks amazing  :D :D :D

Discord: octix#0478

Offline vpr

« Reply #22 on: Sun, 29 September 2019, 09:03:53 »
got in! feeling good!  ;D

Offline regionfree

« Reply #23 on: Sun, 29 September 2019, 09:06:58 »
i thought the form is kept open manually, so it could stay open even when already over the limit, but then entries will be trimmed?

Offline Capsy

« Reply #24 on: Sun, 29 September 2019, 09:10:10 »
i thought the form is kept open manually, so it could stay open even when already over the limit, but then entries will be trimmed?
All slots are filled. I think he will close the form up soon.

Offline ilemondrop

« Reply #25 on: Sun, 29 September 2019, 09:18:08 »
dam, just missed it :( fingers crossed for B-stock then.

Offline regionfree

« Reply #26 on: Sun, 29 September 2019, 09:32:20 »
All slots are filled. I think he will close the form up soon.
oh, so if you managed to fill, then you're in?

Offline J3ff_Leopard

• Wishlist
« Reply #27 on: Sun, 29 September 2019, 13:42:21 »
Congrats on an insanely successful GB. Praying for extras!
WTB Resin Cast Click Clack Leaf

Offline driftingbunnies

« Reply #28 on: Sun, 29 September 2019, 15:35:27 »
Thanks everyone! Order check is up now. Please reach out to me if you think your email may be wrong so I can correctly invoice you.

Offline driftingbunnies

Re: [GB] Austin - Compact Full size Keyboard (Order Check - Invoices Sent)
« Reply #29 on: Sun, 29 September 2019, 21:40:26 »
Invoices have been sent. I will continue to update the second post with what's been done or what will be coming up. Thanks!  :thumb:

Offline Aloyz0991

« Reply #30 on: Sun, 29 September 2019, 21:52:20 »
Idk about y'all, but I'm in the endgame now. If there's any more pictures that can be made available, I'm sure it'd be unanimously appreciated!

Offline switchnollie

• sleever supreme
  • * Exquisite Elder
  • greyhat co-leader
« Reply #31 on: Mon, 30 September 2019, 00:43:09 »
That column of keys is cool, a nice take on the 1-800 Compact layout :cool:

Keyboards: HHKB Pro 1 & OTD 356CL Dark Greyhat Edition, baybee!

Offline thornkin

« Reply #32 on: Mon, 30 September 2019, 01:16:27 »
Yes. That column is what really pulled me toward this design.

Offline norb

« Reply #33 on: Mon, 30 September 2019, 11:04:44 »
this may be way too early to ask but is there a possibility of a round two for this baby? i would even be happy if you said something like "yeah maybe 2022" if there is the slightest chance :thumb:
i'm a fan of fullsize boards and this seems as close as a custom can get, as far as i have seen in my short time beeing active in this community. i really appreciate the 2u num 0, which most of 96's lack.

i won't call the "e-word" because i said it before and now that my "endgame" kbd8x mkii isn't even in my hands i've found an even better one to replace it :))

Offline Saga

« Reply #34 on: Mon, 30 September 2019, 20:46:06 »
Same, that start time was brutal for those of us way west :(

Offline driftingbunnies

« Reply #35 on: Mon, 30 September 2019, 21:56:27 »
Idk about y'all, but I'm in the endgame now. If there's any more pictures that can be made available, I'm sure it'd be unanimously appreciated!

Be sure to check out the IC thread, discord server, and instagram account. There are pictures and renders scattered everywhere. Thanks!

Offline driftingbunnies

« Reply #36 on: Mon, 30 September 2019, 21:58:15 »
this may be way too early to ask but is there a possibility of a round two for this baby? i would even be happy if you said something like "yeah maybe 2022" if there is the slightest chance :thumb:
i'm a fan of fullsize boards and this seems as close as a custom can get, as far as i have seen in my short time beeing active in this community. i really appreciate the 2u num 0, which most of 96's lack.

i won't call the "e-word" because i said it before and now that my "endgame" kbd8x mkii isn't even in my hands i've found an even better one to replace it :))

Haha endgame is a myth. I don't think a round two would be anytime soon but be sure to keep an eye on the GB so you can try to get an extra when those are available!

Offline driftingbunnies

« Reply #37 on: Mon, 30 September 2019, 21:59:21 »

Sorry! I thought 7AM would be reasonable. I debated doing it an hour later but I was travelling that day so I thought I would kick it off a little earlier. Extras should be available at the end of the GB if you're still interested at that time.

Offline driftingbunnies

« Reply #38 on: Mon, 30 September 2019, 22:00:51 »
Shipping estimates have been sent via email and are also on the discord server. If you want to change to a proxy service, please send me the updated email. Shipping invoices will be sent when boards arrive so there is still plenty of time to decide. Thanks!

Offline Saga

« Reply #39 on: Tue, 01 October 2019, 16:15:10 »

Sorry! I thought 7AM would be reasonable.

Which works if it's PST, but that's 4AM HST :(

Offline driftingbunnies

Re: [GB] Austin - Compact Fullsize(Rec'd PCBs, sending shipping invoices)
« Reply #40 on: Fri, 17 January 2020, 08:22:29 »
Will be shipping soon! Please contact me if you need to make any last minute changes!

Offline ilemondrop

« Reply #41 on: Fri, 17 January 2020, 09:02:11 »
Fingers crossed on those extras now ;D

Offline lac29

« Reply #42 on: Fri, 17 January 2020, 09:06:16 »
O_o there are extras?

Offline driftingbunnies

Re: [GB] Austin - Compact Fullsize(Raffle form for Extras are up)
« Reply #43 on: Sat, 18 January 2020, 18:50:44 »
O_o there are extras?

Fingers crossed on those extras now ;D

Raffle form for extras is now in the OP. Form should be open for 2 weeks. Thanks!

Offline driftingbunnies

Re: [GB] Austin - Compact Fullsize(Raffle form for Extras - Ends Feb 1st)
« Reply #44 on: Tue, 21 January 2020, 09:48:52 »
Added raffle details to OP. Form closes Feb 1st. Good luck everyone!  :thumb:

Offline lazyfart

« Reply #45 on: Fri, 31 January 2020, 22:56:06 »
hi, are there images of the different colour choices?

Offline driftingbunnies

« Reply #46 on: Fri, 31 January 2020, 23:22:58 »
hi, are there images of the different colour choices?

The discord has some pictures of people's boards after they received them. I also have some in the gallery channel.

Offline driftingbunnies

« Reply #47 on: Sat, 01 February 2020, 13:24:57 »
Invoices are out! Please check your emails or discord. I'm missing one email. Thanks for all of your support!  :thumb:

Offline eyedrop

Re: [GB] Austin - Compact Fullsize(Invoice for extras have been sent)
« Reply #48 on: Mon, 03 February 2020, 23:39:15 »
I didn't make the extra raffle.  Will there be plan for R2 in the future?

Offline driftingbunnies

Re: [GB] Austin - Compact Fullsize(Invoice for extras have been sent)
« Reply #49 on: Tue, 04 February 2020, 08:36:53 »
I didn't make the extra raffle.  Will there be plan for R2 in the future?

Yes, we're hoping to do a r2 in the future. Be sure to join the discord for all the latest news :)