Author Topic: New Designed Anodized aluminum alloy plate for GH60/poker  (Read 123119 times)

Offline Razor Lotus

Re: New Designed Anodized aluminum alloy plate for GH60/poker
« Reply #50 on: Tue, 10 June 2014, 15:12:33 »
I assume this GB is closed now?

Not sure.

I still managed to place an order for it ytd

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #51 on: Tue, 10 June 2014, 15:16:42 »
Seems they can still be added to the shopping cart on his site...

I ordered one a while back, but have had no update on my order or response from imsto to my PM. Here's hoping they ship soon.
Buying more keycaps,
it really hacks my wallet,
but I must have them.

Offline kakakowie

• Make Love not War
« Reply #52 on: Sun, 15 June 2014, 06:11:49 »
Just saw that the status of the order updated to processing!   ;D Anyone else?

Offline Razor Lotus

« Reply #53 on: Sun, 15 June 2014, 10:57:34 »
Whre did you see it at?

I don't see it on the site nor did I get an Email.

But then again I ordered quite late

Offline kakakowie

• Make Love not War
« Reply #54 on: Sun, 15 June 2014, 11:00:31 »
Whre did you see it at?

I ordered end May. It's on the order history page - status changed from "GB Participated" to "Processing"

Offline yuiop

« Reply #55 on: Sun, 15 June 2014, 12:24:57 »
Whre did you see it at?

I ordered end May. It's on the order history page - status changed from "GB Participated" to "Processing"

Same for me.

Hopefully that means these are close to being ready to be shipped.
Not that I have any use for them until I get my hands on GH60 pcbs.....hopefully soon

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #56 on: Mon, 16 June 2014, 02:22:21 »
Same for me, updated to "Processing"  :D
Buying more keycaps,
but I must have them.

Offline kakakowie

• Make Love not War
« Reply #57 on: Sat, 21 June 2014, 04:24:10 »
Something in the mail today...So unexpected haha - my order is still stated as "Processing"

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #59 on: Mon, 23 June 2014, 09:49:40 »
Something in the mail today...So unexpected haha - my order is still stated as "Processing"

Show Image

Nice!

I see you've got your switches all ready there in the background, too  :D

Can't wait for mine to arrive. I'm going to add it to my KBT Pure Limited and mod the switches while I'm at it. They're already trampoline and latex modded, going to convert them from Browns to ErgoClears. Then I just have to wait for the GMK Dolch GB to complete.... ahh....
Buying more keycaps,
but I must have them.

Offline Razor Lotus

« Reply #60 on: Mon, 23 June 2014, 10:53:02 »

Show Image

Nice!

I see you've got your switches all ready there in the background, too  :D

Can't wait for mine to arrive. I'm going to add it to my KBT Pure Limited and mod the switches while I'm at it. They're already trampoline and latex modded, going to convert them from Browns to ErgoClears. Then I just have to wait for the GMK Dolch GB to complete.... ahh....

I'm on a kbt pure too

One thing im scared of is whether it there will be a space for the caps lock LED on the plate

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #61 on: Mon, 23 June 2014, 12:49:55 »
I'm on a kbt pure too

One thing im scared of is whether it there will be a space for the caps lock LED on the plate

Is the LED on the switch, or off to the right?

Offline Razor Lotus

« Reply #62 on: Mon, 23 June 2014, 13:01:28 »
The one to the right of it. Basically the one that activates when you toggle the caps switch.

Another thing I'm concerned about is the SMD LEDs for the fn + space.  If used with a high profile case, they will be blocked by the plate and hence cannot be seen anymore

EDIT: If you look at the picture of the plate received or the picture of the plate on the first post and look at the insides of a KBT pure posted on the first page (scroll down), notice the caps lock switch and notice that the left part ends just a little bit beyond the tab key which is exactly where the caps lock key for the pure but without the space for the LED beside it, as you can also see in the picture
« Last Edit: Mon, 23 June 2014, 13:04:24 by Razor Lotus »

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #63 on: Mon, 23 June 2014, 13:22:01 »
The one to the right of it. Basically the one that activates when you toggle the caps switch.

Another thing I'm concerned about is the SMD LEDs for the fn + space.  If used with a high profile case, they will be blocked by the plate and hence cannot be seen anymore

EDIT: If you look at the picture of the plate received or the picture of the plate on the first post and look at the insides of a KBT pure posted on the first page (scroll down), notice the caps lock switch and notice that the left part ends just a little bit beyond the tab key which is exactly where the caps lock key for the pure but without the space for the LED beside it, as you can also see in the picture

It looks like the plate supports off-center caps lock, which may leave enough room. Every plate that I've ever used has either had a notch, or a hole cut out for the LED, so I supposed I've never thought about it. However, I'm using the plate on a Pure as well, so I'm curious too.

As for the SMD LEDs, those may be obstructed since the Pure was never designed for a plate. My Poker X is that way. I can still see the lights, but they are a bit muted.

Offline Razor Lotus

« Reply #64 on: Mon, 23 June 2014, 13:42:01 »

It looks like the plate supports off-center caps lock, which may leave enough room. Every plate that I've ever used has either had a notch, or a hole cut out for the LED, so I supposed I've never thought about it. However, I'm using the plate on a Pure as well, so I'm curious too.

As for the SMD LEDs, those may be obstructed since the Pure was never designed for a plate. My Poker X is that way. I can still see the lights, but they are a bit muted.

Yeah i was looking at this picture which bluebar posted in the keyboard section http://i.imgur.com/P0qLx.jpg

looks just like one of the plates you have there. But if you compare the one that imsto has, it doesnt seem to have the hole or slot for the caps LEDs like the ones you have. The pink plate doesnt seem to have a slot for the caps lock LED too actually. Cause that looks like a hole next to the tab key, presumably for a screw.

I guess I'll have to forget about the SMD LEDs then, cause they're already rather muted behind my keycaps

Offline Razor Lotus

« Reply #65 on: Mon, 23 June 2014, 13:53:05 »
I guess we have to wait for imsto to reply.

Imsto, is it possible to cut hole for the caps lock LED on my plate? I'll give you my order details if it's possible to do so

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #66 on: Mon, 23 June 2014, 15:54:18 »
I think there's enough room for the Caps Lock led, but you're right, we won't know till we actually get the plates in our hands.

My Reasoning
If you notice the cutout is wider than the 1x1 key that fits in the hole. This is because it supports both center mount and off-center mount switches. To give enough room for either switch location, that should leave space for the side-mounted LED.

Here's a photo of a 38GT which supports both caps lock configurations. I believe the center mount location is on the left, which is what the Pure has. You can see how much space is available for the side-mounted LED to shine through.

Offline yuiop

« Reply #67 on: Mon, 23 June 2014, 16:45:12 »
Looking at the pic kakakowie posted, it doesn't look like there's a hole for the off-switch caps lock led.  It is understandable because I can't think of any other 60% board that has a dedicated caps lock led like Pure.

While it's true that this plate supports both caps lock configurations, the extra space for the off-centered caps lock is on the left so it won't help with the LED.

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #68 on: Mon, 23 June 2014, 16:59:03 »
Looking at the pic kakakowie posted, it doesn't look like there's a hole for the off-switch caps lock led.  It is understandable because I can't think of any other 60% board that has a dedicated caps lock led like Pure.

Well the Poker X has the same LED layout, however since it's not a full LED board, you can choose to use the switch mounted LED instead, or in addition too.

While it's true that this plate supports both caps lock configurations, the extra space for the off-centered caps lock is on the left so it won't help with the LED.

I'm not sure that's right. Then again, I could be totally confused.  :confused:  When I look at pictures of center-mount and non-center mount caps It would appear than an off-center mount is to the right of the center mount.

Offline yuiop

« Reply #69 on: Mon, 23 June 2014, 17:36:05 »
In that picture, when you flip the keycap, stem will be on the left....

So this is the off-centered mount.

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #70 on: Tue, 24 June 2014, 02:06:17 »
For our Pures we'll have to drill a hole for the LED ourselves, move the LED to the left of the switch or just remove the Caps Lock LED. I don't use Caps Lock, but I like to know when it's on, so I'll drill a hole for it. It shouldn't be hard since it's an aluminium plate and also should not need any extra protection from corrosion for the drilled edges.

Moving the LED will require you to solder wires to the legs and mount it somehow just to the left of the switch so it shines through the off-centre mount area.

The surface mount LED's will glow through a little, but won't be as bright as before. I actually like this as I found them to glare without any covering. I put some plastic over them to diffuse the light already.

I can't wait to see how this plate looks mounted on the Pure with thick dark caps and LED's on full... background glow should be quite nice.
Buying more keycaps,
but I must have them.

Offline Razor Lotus

« Reply #71 on: Tue, 24 June 2014, 03:02:30 »
For our Pures we'll have to drill a hole for the LED ourselves, move the LED to the left of the switch or just remove the Caps Lock LED. I don't use Caps Lock, but I like to know when it's on, so I'll drill a hole for it. It shouldn't be hard since it's an aluminium plate and also should not need any extra protection from corrosion for the drilled edges.

Moving the LED will require you to solder wires to the legs and mount it somehow just to the left of the switch so it shines through the off-centre mount area.

The surface mount LED's will glow through a little, but won't be as bright as before. I actually like this as I found them to glare without any covering. I put some plastic over them to diffuse the light already.

I can't wait to see how this plate looks mounted on the Pure with thick dark caps and LED's on full... background glow should be quite nice.

I think drilling for me will be quite difficult as I do not have the means to do so even though I have a drill. Like, I don't have a backyard to do it and I don't have a workbench or anything like that.

As for mounting it to the left of the switch, I'm not sure about that but there seems to be some sort of cylindrical LED holder which raises the LED to around the height of where the plate is supposed to be. Unless that can be removed, I think that it will get in the way of the plate mount too and that's even before any sort additional wires are added.

I think my best bet is to either find some way of drilling the hole which is really hard for me atm or to find out if there's any way a hole can be added during the manufacturing.

What solutions are you gys using to solve the issue, for those who are using it on a pure?

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #72 on: Tue, 24 June 2014, 09:20:18 »
@yuiop -- thank you for setting me straight. Figured I probably had things flipped around. Doh!

@Razor Lotus -- I'll either drill a hole, or simply desolder the LED and riser if I decide it's too much trouble.

Offline yuiop

« Reply #73 on: Wed, 25 June 2014, 14:44:25 »
Got my plates today!

Ordered 5 plates only got 4 :-[
Imsto, YGPM sir.

Green is not what I expected.  It's a light shade of green, very teal-ish.  It looks okay just not what I expected.
Very happy with other colors :)

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #74 on: Wed, 25 June 2014, 14:59:28 »
Thank you for posting the picture. I too bought a green one and it does look much lighter than what I was expecting.

Hope mine arrives soon!

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #75 on: Wed, 25 June 2014, 16:21:49 »
I got my plate!

Fits my Pure just fine, but it's a little hard to type on.....  ;)

69002-0

I'll be drilling a hole for the Caps Lock LED and it also looks like I'll need to file either the top or bottom edge a little to get it to fit the Pure Limited case. It's about 0.5mm too tall.

Will be a fair bit of work, desoldering all the LED's and switches, but I reckon it'll be worth it.
Buying more keycaps,
but I must have them.

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #76 on: Wed, 25 June 2014, 16:46:28 »
I got my plate!

(Attachment Link)

LOL!

Offline Zentaaa

• Safe Bois
« Reply #77 on: Wed, 25 June 2014, 18:03:11 »
So this wont work on a poker just because of the stabilisers?

Offline okwchin

« Reply #78 on: Wed, 25 June 2014, 22:37:43 »
Looking good!

Should I have received a shipping notification by now? Maybe its ono the way out.

Edit - I have checked my order #314 on the imsto website, shows no update, only "Waiting for Process".

:)
« Last Edit: Wed, 25 June 2014, 23:19:16 by okwchin »

Offline Razor Lotus

« Reply #79 on: Thu, 26 June 2014, 03:08:03 »
I got my plate!

(Attachment Link)

I'll be drilling a hole for the Caps Lock LED and it also looks like I'll need to file either the top or bottom edge a little to get it to fit the Pure Limited case. It's about 0.5mm too tall.

Will be a fair bit of work, desoldering all the LED's and switches, but I reckon it'll be worth it.

Nice. If i sent you mine could you drill it for me too? I don't have easy access to tools like this here in singapore. And even if I did, finding a spot to drill the plate is going to be difficult

Offline xauser

« Reply #80 on: Sun, 29 June 2014, 14:42:32 »
Can't order a plate :( website won't let me pick a color option. What's going on?

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #81 on: Mon, 30 June 2014, 08:00:19 »
Can't order a plate :( website won't let me pick a color option. What's going on?

I believe the group buy is over. You'll have to wait until he runs it again, or pick one up in the classifieds.

Offline kakakowie

• Make Love not War
« Reply #82 on: Mon, 30 June 2014, 09:23:51 »
Anyone know what size the holes at the edges of the plate are meant to be? The ones for the pcb mounting screws. I can't seem to fit my screw heads through them  :(

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #83 on: Mon, 30 June 2014, 09:55:24 »
Anyone know what size the holes at the edges of the plate are meant to be? The ones for the pcb mounting screws. I can't seem to fit my screw heads through them  :(

Try putting the screws in place from the side before putting the PCB / plate assembly in the case.

Nice. If i sent you mine could you drill it for me too? I don't have easy access to tools like this here in singapore. And even if I did, finding a spot to drill the plate is going to be difficult

I'm sure you could find someone around where you live to drill the hole for you. If not, then sure, I'll drill the hole for you (I assume you'll be sinding it from UK?). Just send me a PM if you get stuck.

I got mine installed, had to file down both the top and bottom edges to get it into the aluminium case, but it looks sweet! Will post pics soonish, when I find some time to organise my stuff. I had to drill the hole bigger than I thought (to fit around the LED standoff, almost 5mm). My board also now has ErgoClears.... overall, quite a lot of work, but I'm happily typing this post on it now  :D

So this wont work on a poker just because of the stabilisers?

The plate will fit an original Poker, but not a Poker II.

The Poker II uses plate mounted stabilisers and they don't fit on this plate. I tried with some from my Ducky G2Pro. If you could somehow mount some PCB mounted stabilisers to the Poker II PCB it may still be possible.... I don't think it can be done easily, but I don't own a Poker II, so I'm not sure.

Note: I had to modify my spacebar stabiliser to fit under the plate. The stock one had a kink that impacted the plate, so I had to straighten it and shorten and rebend one end. Be careful if you do this, it's easy to make the stabiliser bind if you get the bends / angles / lengths wrong.
« Last Edit: Mon, 30 June 2014, 10:03:08 by Oobly »
Buying more keycaps,
but I must have them.

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #84 on: Mon, 30 June 2014, 10:25:20 »

I believe the holes are for mounting screws for a Poker / Pure style mounting. However, some screws include an attached washer that is bigger than the hole. This means you may have to buy new screws.

From the Simple Questions & Answers FAQ: Poker/Pure cases use M2-4mm (0.4mm pitch) machine screws to mount the PCB to the case. McMaster-Carr part # 92000A011.

I have a bunch of them and I'd be happy to mail you a set.

Offline Razor Lotus

« Reply #85 on: Mon, 30 June 2014, 12:44:19 »
didn't know mounting a plate was so much work....

Offline yuiop

« Reply #86 on: Mon, 30 June 2014, 14:57:03 »
In case anyone was wondering, here's the green plate in comparison with green TEX case (which has more 'true' green color)

I can easily fit those screws with big head through the hole.  Not sure if they are standard size or not.

« Last Edit: Mon, 30 June 2014, 14:59:15 by yuiop »

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #87 on: Mon, 30 June 2014, 15:25:22 »
In case anyone was wondering, here's the green plate in comparison with green TEX case (which has more 'true' green color)

Show Image

I can easily fit those screws with big head through the hole.  Not sure if they are standard size or not.

Interesting. Thank you for taking the picture with the case.

From the picture in the OP, I was expecting more of a hunter green.  :-[

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #88 on: Mon, 30 June 2014, 15:28:39 »
Here are a few pics...

Got the hole drilled and edges filed down so it fits the case:
69490-0

Here's the stabiliser bar along with an original one:
69492-1

Got my newly modified switches soldered back in along with the LED's:
69494-2

And with keycaps on again :)
69496-3

69498-4
Buying more keycaps,
but I must have them.

Offline mashby

• ** Moderator Emeritus
  • What Up Shoney? (ツ)_/¯
    • Mashby
« Reply #89 on: Mon, 30 June 2014, 15:31:09 »
Here are a few pics...

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

Really nice work Oobly!

Offline Razor Lotus

« Reply #90 on: Tue, 01 July 2014, 14:15:40 »
Here are a few pics...

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

Neat little work on the hole there.

Are the change in stabs your own doing or is it necessary for the plate installation?

Offline Oobly

• * Esteemed Elder
« Reply #91 on: Wed, 09 July 2014, 04:20:14 »
Here are a few pics...

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

(Attachment Link)

Neat little work on the hole there.

Are the change in stabs your own doing or is it necessary for the plate installation?

Thank you.

I found the standard "bent" stabiliser bar hit the plate, so I had to make it flatter so it doesn't. It's a lot of work to mount this plate to a Pure, but the end result is nice.
Buying more keycaps,
but I must have them.

Offline Lurch

• The only good system is a sound system.
« Reply #92 on: Sun, 13 July 2014, 01:49:10 »
does anyone have an extra purple plate by any chance? ;)
Quote from: Flyersfan1
im so glad you've stopped flipping the spacebar

Offline Razor Lotus

« Reply #93 on: Wed, 16 July 2014, 01:55:26 »
So I got my plate today, silver colour.

It looks really good actually. Really neat and feels really good too even though it's aluminium. I can definitely flex it with my hands.

The edges look really cleanly cut and there are a few minor scratches on the surfaces which can only be seen if you look really closely and some stains which I can't really remove but all in all I'm quite happy with it.

Also, I emailed Imsto if it was possible to drill a hole for the caps lock LED for the pure and he said it was possible but there would be complications but I still asked if I could have it done. I didn't get a definite reply but over here it seems like he didn't do it.

Now I need to find a way to either drill a hole or remove the caps lock LED somehow...

Offline Xenderwind

« Reply #94 on: Wed, 16 July 2014, 02:10:49 »

It looks really good actually. Really neat and feels really good too even though it's aluminium. I can definitely flex it with my hands.

The edges look really cleanly cut and there are a few minor scratches on the surfaces which can only be seen if you look really closely and some stains which I can't really remove but all in all I'm quite happy with it.

Also, I emailed Imsto if it was possible to drill a hole for the caps lock LED for the pure and he said it was possible but there would be complications but I still asked if I could have it done. I didn't get a definite reply but over here it seems like he didn't do it.

Now I need to find a way to either drill a hole or remove the caps lock LED somehow...
LED probably wouldnt be that hard to remove.  Just desolder it and then cut off the plastic standoff thing.
GON NS 87 62g clears, QFR 62g clears, Pure 65g blues, HHKB Pro II

Offline Razor Lotus

« Reply #95 on: Wed, 16 July 2014, 02:29:18 »

LED probably wouldnt be that hard to remove.  Just desolder it and then cut off the plastic standoff thing.

Thanks. I just removed all the keycaps and was looking at the pcb. I'm guessing the LED can be removed and added back after removing that plastic thing so I guess I'll go down that route.

My next concern is the stabilizer bar. I took it out and tried to bend the legs at a slight angle so it an work without the middle part coming in the way of the plate but I can't seem to do it right. Nothing's working lol. I tried sitting the stabs with the bar in the slot in the plate but they wouldn't fit nicely cause of the bent part coming in the way so this is another issue for me

Offline TheSoulhunter

• Thorpelicious!
« Reply #96 on: Wed, 16 July 2014, 07:51:13 »
Got em, thanks!

Offline Razor Lotus

« Reply #97 on: Wed, 16 July 2014, 09:32:09 »
Here're some pictures of mine btw!

Took it out of the case to see if it would fit in the case and it did so I just put it on the bare switches for show

Offline xandr

« Reply #98 on: Fri, 18 July 2014, 18:23:02 »
If anyone ends up with an extra plate they don't need, throw me a pm - color doesn't matter. :)
Sprit 60% w/MX Clear in DuckMini V2 case | Matias Quiet Pro (office)

Offline frosty

• jukebox hero
« Reply #99 on: Wed, 06 August 2014, 04:37:35 »
yeap. anyone with an extra 60% plate like this or have one that they wanna sell/don't want please pm me! i'd love to get one