Author Topic: Building a better switch tool  (Read 1838 times)

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
Building a better switch tool
« on: Sun, 09 November 2014, 19:49:26 »
So one on the things that irks me about all the switch tools out the right now is that they're kind of clunky.  So I've bee messing around trying to come up with ideas on how to make a better tool that you could potentially use one handed.  I've had this idea for a little while and finally decided to see if I could make it work in my garage.

I don't have the proper tools to make a proper prototype, so this one has some major QC issues that make it so that it doesn't quite work.  I think the idea is there, I just don't have the ability to work the tolerances to make it work properly.  Lesson learned, you can have tools to do proper woodwork, but will need to invest a lot more to also do metal work.

I'd love to see some ideas that others have.  I've seen the milled aluminum one from KBDMania and I love it.  That's one I'm going to try and get made in the future for myself.
« Last Edit: Sun, 09 November 2014, 19:51:15 by nubbinator »

Offline Zeal

• Actually the King of Green Tea Kit-Kats
  • * Vendor
    • Zeal Generation Inc.
Re: Building a better switch tool
« Reply #1 on: Sun, 09 November 2014, 23:03:57 »
I've actually thought about this same concept tool as well for a while! Only thing that might cause problems is extending the length of the "teeth" so they can go over the switch tabs may cause them to be weaker.
        "Bird have wing, bird will fly. Henry had wings.  Henry now fly." -Sent

Offline bueller

• MX baller
  • * Esteemed Elder
  • Church of the Ergo Clear
« Reply #2 on: Sun, 09 November 2014, 23:05:36 »
Great idea, manufactured within the right tolerances that would be awesome!
It's a good width!  If it's half-width it's too narrow, and full-width is too wide. 

[WTT] bueller's trade thread - CLACKS WANTED

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #3 on: Sun, 09 November 2014, 23:09:10 »
I've actually thought about this same concept tool as well for a while! Only thing that might cause problems is extending the length of the "teeth" so they can go over the switch tabs may cause them to be weaker.

If you heat and oil quench the teeth, you should be able to get get them nice and strong without having to worry about them bending.  If you did it to the whole tool though, it might make it too firm and not springy enough.  I don't regularly work with metals though, so I can't really say.

Great idea, manufactured within the right tolerances that would be awesome!

That's my thought too.  Something like this just makes sense and would be easier to use than what's out right now.

Offline jorgenslee

« Reply #4 on: Sun, 09 November 2014, 23:14:22 »
I have this the same idea before but don't have the proper equipment to materialize it. What I have come up in mind is use Beast's Switch tool and attach a mechanism to make it work like the clothespin.

Offline byker

• Literally Canada
  • ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #5 on: Sun, 09 November 2014, 23:33:38 »
This looks really good nubbs. Maybe we could get a groupbuy going for a metal shop to make them because your idea looks very promising!  :thumb:

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #6 on: Sun, 23 November 2014, 17:34:29 »
Alright, did a mock up in TinkerCAD (thanks Bueller).  I know the tool tooth width dimensions are right, but it may not be the optimal depth and there may be need for some more refinement in dimensions, placement of holes for the cutlery rivets or posts for the handle to hold the two parts together, and so on.  I also need to see if I can find a cheap bending brake or find someone who has one I can borrow so that I can get a consistent and correct angle on the bends instead of guesstimating with a vice.  I may also have to get creative in case I can't find a brake where I can easily do the two main bends by the teeth.  I'm also thinking the teeth may need a slight bend toward the tip.

Mock up:

If someone has access to a mill, water cutter, or laser cutter, I can provide the SVG file for you to use.

The plan is to make it behave like reverse action tweezers:

« Last Edit: Sun, 23 November 2014, 17:40:15 by nubbinator »

Offline jorgenslee

« Reply #7 on: Sun, 23 November 2014, 20:51:38 »
Alright, did a mock up in TinkerCAD (thanks Bueller).  I know the tool tooth width dimensions are right, but it may not be the optimal depth and there may be need for some more refinement in dimensions, placement of holes for the cutlery rivets or posts for the handle to hold the two parts together, and so on.  I also need to see if I can find a cheap bending brake or find someone who has one I can borrow so that I can get a consistent and correct angle on the bends instead of guesstimating with a vice.  I may also have to get creative in case I can't find a brake where I can easily do the two main bends by the teeth.  I'm also thinking the teeth may need a slight bend toward the tip.

Mock up:

Show Image

If someone has access to a mill, water cutter, or laser cutter, I can provide the SVG file for you to use.

The plan is to make it behave like reverse action tweezers:

Show Image

Does tinkercad allows bending/assembly of the elements? What I am planning to do is simulate the switch tool and try it out before asking someone to mill it for me.