Author Topic: Improving the Digilog: A Small Guide to Taking Extra Precautions  (Read 2711 times)

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
Improving the Digilog: A Small Guide to Taking Extra Precautions
« on: Thu, 04 December 2014, 17:54:40 »
I currently don't have my potato cam working so I won't actually have images of what I have done.

I recently bought a Digilog case and mentioned it to TacticalStache. He quickly replied saying that some people on the Korean forums has issues with their cases.
This is most likely thought to be related to electrical problems which would either be due to inadequate anodization or lack of a ground.
I will discuss both of these solutions which are very simple and cost next to nothing.

The first problem to tackle is the possibility of inferior anodization.
While I doubt that the job would be so shoddy that electrical problems could occur, it doesn't hurt to take extra measures.
Since my case and many others will have clear anodization with a natural silver, it won't be easy to spot blemishes where there are faults from the anodizing.
The only material that you need to get this to work is some liner. Pond liner, kitchen liner, or any sheet of non-conductive goodness!
Example of liner:

Just cut up a sheet of this to cover the bottom area inside the digilog case. This will prevent any contact of the PCB with the metal.
While there are reports of keyboards not working while they are using liner, it should be noted that this case is roomy under the PCB and you shouldn't feel as though you're jamming a car into a suitcase while you do this.

CORRECTION: If this thing is properly anodized, then grounding to the case will NOT work. I will figure something else out!
The next big thing to tackle is the lack of a ground.
While the original Realforce case had a ground cable that would attach to the backplate (which you will see once you unscrew it to fit the pcb in your case) this one does not come with that.
This cable is circled here:

In order to fix this, it's fairly straightforward. Just cut up the ground cable and strip up part of the insulation so that some of the wires are revealed.
Note: Once you strip the insulation, there will be many different strands of copper, just make sure they stay bunched up.
Once that is done, screw it back on to the hole on the backplate where is originally was and then attach it to the underside of the top casing with some electrical tape.

There! You have officially done it! You've insulated the PCB and you have grounded it!
I honestly don't know how effective these methods are but my keyboard is currently working perfectly fine. If anyone has any experience with this sort of stuff and has some input/suggestions feel free to leave them here!
« Last Edit: Thu, 04 December 2014, 18:08:25 by FrostyToast »
Quote from: elton5354
I don't need anymore keyboards

Offline exitfire401

• * Global Moderator
  • The Force is Re/\l
Re: Improving the Digilog: A Small Guide to Taking Extra Precautions
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 04 December 2014, 17:59:42 »
In the 2.5 years I had my RF in a digilog, I never once ran into an issue like that. Weird.
Boards: Kingsaver Complicated Blue Alps |Sprit 60% Transparent MX Clears in Gateron housings with 62g gold Sprit springs lubed and RGB color shifting LEDs | Ducky Shine Zone MX Black with Blue LEDs | Realforce 10AE Variable Silenced

B/S/T thread: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=55351.0

Past projects: KBT Race 2 L.E.
Past Boards: Ducky Shine 2 | KBT Pure | LZ Aluminum Skin| HHKB | Realforce 23u |

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 04 December 2014, 18:00:31 »
In the 2.5 years I had my RF in a digilog, I never once ran into an issue like that. Weird.

According to TacticalStache no one on the English forums have experienced issues. It was only the ones on Korean forums.
Bottom line: problems would be in rare cases (get it, cases?  :)) ) however it does not hurt to take extra safety measures.

Offline Puddsy

• nice
  • * Elated Elder
  • "Do you shovel to survive, or survive to shovel?"
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 04 December 2014, 18:11:10 »

According to TacticalStache no one on the English forums have experienced issues. It was only the ones on Korean forums.
Bottom line: problems would be in rare cases (get it, cases?  :)) ) however it does not hurt to take extra safety measures.

No, I said that about the one specific issue.

People have had issues here before. I can't find the topics right now,but I've definitely seen people have issues on here before.
QFR | MJ2 TKL | "Bulgogiboard" (Keycon 104) | ctrl.alt x GON 60% | TGR Alice | Mira SE #29 | Mira SE #34 | Revo One | z | Keycult No. 1 | AIS65 | First CW87 prototype | Mech27v1 | Camp C225 | Duck Orion V1 | LZ CLS sxh | Geon Frog TKL | Hiney TKL One | Geon Glare TKL

"Everything is worse, but in a barely perceptible and indefinable way" -dollartacos, after I came back from a break | "Is Linkshine our Nixon?" -NAV | "Puddsy is the Puddsy of keebs" -ns90

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #4 on: Thu, 04 December 2014, 18:13:35 »

People have had issues here before. I can't find the topics right now,but I've definitely seen people have issues on here before.

Yes, I stand corrected. But yes there are other problems unrelated to this thread like faulty daughterboards. That is all that I could find.

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #5 on: Thu, 04 December 2014, 19:40:01 »
Just a quick question since I don't know how to physics.
Is the blackplate the ground or is it what it's grounding?
It's really bugging me that I have no idea what to do right now and I really want to conclude this and give a proper solution.

Offline exitfire401

• * Global Moderator
  • The Force is Re/\l
« Reply #6 on: Thu, 04 December 2014, 19:47:15 »

Yes, I stand corrected. But yes there are other problems unrelated to this thread like faulty daughterboards. That is all that I could find.

That's the issue I ran into. When I would plug the usb in, my board would rapidly connect/disconnect. Then I'd get it to work, then the same thing 10 minutes later. New daughterboard solved the problem. As for your second question, yes. I believe so.
Boards: Kingsaver Complicated Blue Alps |Sprit 60% Transparent MX Clears in Gateron housings with 62g gold Sprit springs lubed and RGB color shifting LEDs | Ducky Shine Zone MX Black with Blue LEDs | Realforce 10AE Variable Silenced

B/S/T thread: https://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=55351.0

Past projects: KBT Race 2 L.E.
Past Boards: Ducky Shine 2 | KBT Pure | LZ Aluminum Skin| HHKB | Realforce 23u |

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 04 December 2014, 19:49:43 »
As for your second question, yes. I believe so.

You believe so as in the backplate is the ground?
Alright then, now I need to figure out where to ground from.... I'm too amateur for this. :p

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #8 on: Thu, 04 December 2014, 20:17:16 »
if you want to ground to an anodyzed aluminium case, you have to scrape the anodyzation off from around the ground area. TG3 does this when grounding the BL82. Let me know if you need more info on this.

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 04 December 2014, 20:34:09 »
if you want to ground to an anodyzed aluminium case, you have to scrape the anodyzation off from around the ground area. TG3 does this when grounding the BL82. Let me know if you need more info on this.

I don't know if the backplate is what needs grounding or if that's what they use to ground whatever electronic thing is there.
And if it's the latter, then I need to know what to attach the wire to.

Offline dorkvader

• all about the "hack" in "geekhack"
« Reply #10 on: Thu, 04 December 2014, 21:32:09 »

I don't know if the backplate is what needs grounding or if that's what they use to ground whatever electronic thing is there.

yeah I don't know much about the digilog case, or I'd be able to help find a good ground point.

on the realforce don't you just have to ground the plate? I mean grounding the case is good as well but I don't think they really need the extra shielding.

I mean if I had a digilog case, I'd tap a hole in it and make sure it's grounded properly. But I'm not everyone, and I really care about proper grounding and shielding.

Offline FrostyToast

• Litshoard
  • * Exquisite Elder
« Reply #11 on: Thu, 04 December 2014, 21:37:53 »

yeah I don't know much about the digilog case, or I'd be able to help find a good ground point.

on the realforce don't you just have to ground the plate? I mean grounding the case is good as well but I don't think they really need the extra shielding.

I mean if I had a digilog case, I'd tap a hole in it and make sure it's grounded properly. But I'm not everyone, and I really care about proper grounding and shielding.

Ok so if you just have to ground the plate then I could easily take off some of the anodized layer of the case. The case seems to be the best grounding point there.
Or if I wanted to go overboard and have the case grounded as well then I would have to do some really interesting things...