Author Topic: repairing PCB  (Read 2736 times)

Offline kgolden

repairing PCB
« on: Wed, 21 March 2018, 11:34:59 »
So I've been using my GH60 "poker" keyboard for the past few weeks and all of a sudden my right shift key stopped working. I've ran a jumper and all is well now but my question is this, do you guys just use a jumper to fix these types of issues or actually replace the diode if thats the issue?

Offline dgneo

• Supervillain
  • * Curator
Re: repairing PCB
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 21 March 2018, 11:35:52 »
So I've been using my GH60 "poker" keyboard for the past few weeks and all of a sudden my right shift key stopped working. I've ran a jumper and all is well now but my question is this, do you guys just use a jumper to fix these types of issues or actually replace the diode if thats the issue?

Personally I just left the jumper when I fixed mine. It works and I know it won't go anywhere, and it's an easy fix.

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: Wed, 21 March 2018, 11:37:26 »
You can't replace a diode with a jumper or you'll get ghosting (keys pressing when you press another key that shares the row or column, depending on diode direction)  One pin has a wire and the other a diode so depends where your break is which you should use...
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline kgolden

« Reply #3 on: Wed, 21 March 2018, 11:39:51 »

Personally I just left the jumper when I fixed mine. It works and I know it won't go anywhere, and it's an easy fix.

Fair enough. I just wanted to do it the right way. I'm still not sure how it just stopped working all of a sudden.

Offline kgolden

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 21 March 2018, 12:01:05 »
Excuse my soldering skills. I'm new to this but would this work? I mean it does work and I haven't seen any ghosting. I'm just trying to wrap my head around this.

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: Wed, 21 March 2018, 12:39:59 »
Haha, there are a couple of places on the GH60 that are messy, that's one of them!

If I'm seeing correctly it's the FN key on split right shift that's not working?  The pin on that switch with the jumper attached should actually be connected to the pin below diode D64 - the middle three switch positions all connect to D69 on their top pins but the two end positions have their own diode, and it switches pin.  As you're connecting it before the diode it will be a good fix - assuming it works.  if D69 has died it still won't work and you'll need to replace/bypass it...
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline kgolden

« Reply #6 on: Wed, 21 March 2018, 13:11:46 »
Haha, there are a couple of places on the GH60 that are messy, that's one of them!

If I'm seeing correctly it's the FN key on split right shift that's not working?  The pin on that switch with the jumper attached should actually be connected to the pin below diode D64 - the middle three switch positions all connect to D69 on their top pins but the two end positions have their own diode, and it switches pin.  As you're connecting it before the diode it will be a good fix - assuming it works.  if D69 has died it still won't work and you'll need to replace/bypass it...

Okay, so I desoldered that jumper. I see my mistake. I tested with a small piece of wire from that switch pin to the pin below D64 and it works. Thanks! So that means the diode is fine and there is a trace that is bad?

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: Wed, 21 March 2018, 13:59:52 »
Yup, the trace is on the other side of the board so can't see how you managed to break it but seems you have.  The diode must be working or the switch wouldn't so solder the jumper and call it good :)
GMK Hyperfuse
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline kgolden

« Reply #8 on: Wed, 21 March 2018, 14:55:51 »
Thanks again. Soldered on the jumper and it works as it should now.

Offline kgolden

« Reply #9 on: Thu, 05 April 2018, 13:25:06 »
 So I decided to pick up another GH60 just because and discovered something... if I use easyavr and select gh60 and the default "poker" lay out the right shift key doesn't work like on my first board. If I choose the default "pure" layout it works. I will desolder the jumper on the other board and try it. I think I may be a dumbass.

Offline kgolden

« Reply #10 on: Thu, 05 April 2018, 17:47:21 »
And confirmed, I'm a dumbass. I removed the jumper and reflashed the keyboard and all keys work as they should. And to think I thought I damaged the PCB.