Author Topic: What computer games do you play?  (Read 863478 times)

Offline Mercen_505

What computer games do you play?
« Reply #100 on: Tue, 25 May 2010, 20:14:29 »
Ah yes, God of Bore. Couldn't finish any of those, for some reason. I guess the whole "press
  • a dozen times to rip monster's appendage off" got old. Speaking of button mashers, I did finish God Hand last year, and while it featured copious button mashing (and I swear my dual shock was about to break from the constant stress!) it was designed to reward you for going nutso on the buttons rather than punishing you for not doing it fast enough. Subtle difference; immensely important.

Also, no Mad Midget Five. You just can't compete against that.

>
type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="385">[/youtube]

Offline TheSoulhunter

• Thorpelicious!
« Reply #101 on: Wed, 26 May 2010, 09:05:25 »
Wat? God of War 2 was one of the best games I ever played,
and I played a lot in the last 20 years... :O

Offline Mercen_505

« Reply #102 on: Wed, 26 May 2010, 09:50:29 »
Liking games is hugely subjective. A lot of people thought Halo was a great game. I have no doubt that someone, somewhere, still believes "Enter the Matrix" is the ****. I have a friend who swears Deus Ex 2 is a wonderful game that everyone should play.

Offline lmnop

« Reply #103 on: Wed, 26 May 2010, 10:16:36 »
Neverwinter Nights, Icewind Dale, Baldur's Gate, Team Fortress, Team Fortress Classic, Team Fortress 2, Weapons Factory, Weapons Factory Arena, Unreal Fortress, Instagib, Rocket Arena.

I have been playing Team Fortress for almost 13 years!

Offline Mercen_505

« Reply #104 on: Wed, 26 May 2010, 13:19:41 »
Starcraft2 better save the PC Gaming industry or a lot of Gamerz at OCN are going to be wondering...

You want to know what happened to the PC gaming industry? Look no further than the XBOX. Who wants to develop for a fractured platform when you can develop for a standardized platform that is almost, but not quite, just like a PC? The only downside being the licensing and approval process, compared to publishing on PC, where you can get your ESRB/CERO/PEGI etc rating, then push to market. The related upshot being a significantly smaller QA budget, and not having to keep a team on standby supporting a product after launch that, say... mysteriously won't work on Nvidia chipsets of xx.xx driver revision. Or any number of other scenarios that we run into, for that matter.

PC has the RTS and MMORPG genres sewn up tight, but has lost its grip on FPS.
« Last Edit: Wed, 26 May 2010, 13:20:26 by Mercen_505 »

Offline lmnop

« Reply #105 on: Wed, 26 May 2010, 13:25:46 »
Quote from: ripster;187073
Ripster[ESG] - not me though.  My son.  Backstabbing spy extraordinaire.

i'm pro I don't play on public servers :)

Offline lmnop

« Reply #106 on: Wed, 26 May 2010, 13:35:19 »
I play...

Offline zerocool

• http://www.tecnocondor.com
« Reply #107 on: Thu, 27 May 2010, 04:13:28 »
Quote from: ripster;187142
My son is like me.  He plays on Noobie servers as a spy and tells them to turn around as he backstabs them.

you must be proud of your son
killing the annoying noobs i hope (i salute you)
Technology News and Reviews At tecnocondor.com

Offline lmnop

« Reply #108 on: Thu, 27 May 2010, 13:51:43 »
yeah daddy must be proud :)

Offline zerocool

• http://www.tecnocondor.com
« Reply #109 on: Fri, 28 May 2010, 07:52:02 »
i enjoy first person shooters as i can't play RPG's
i had a thrill when playing Half Life 2
Technology News and Reviews At tecnocondor.com

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #110 on: Fri, 28 May 2010, 07:58:43 »
Quote from: zerocool;187615
i enjoy first person shooters as i can't play RPG's
i had a thrill when playing Half Life 2

I did the exact opposite.  I went from playing FPSs to RPGs.  Then, I went from RPGs to nothing.

Offline itlnstln

« Reply #111 on: Fri, 28 May 2010, 08:34:13 »
Then I went outside to play.  It's much more fun than video games.  I hate being stuck inside.

Offline British

« Reply #112 on: Fri, 28 May 2010, 08:52:03 »
Quote from: Mercen_505;186210
Call of Pripyat crashed on average every 15-20 minutes. Getting through that was a labor of love, and I absolutely wouldn't tolerate that **** for any other game.

You must be under some curse... or I'm blessed (which I doubt) since I went through Call of Pripyat without any real crash/problem...
I've bought all three STALKER at the same time, but I am yet to play the first two, most probably because I'm lazy about finding the proper mods to use.

Besides that it's been mostly Quake 3 (Quake Live killed the fairplay that Q3 had), Call of Duty 4, World of Warcraft since day zero, with occasional FPS and RPG (and the mix of those) now and then (Bioshock, Borderlands and the likes).

Nowadays I'm on Planescape: Torment.
Oh, and I still need to finish Dawn of War II Chaos Rising for the second time (now with full chaos), because it's so fun.

Offline Mercen_505

« Reply #113 on: Fri, 28 May 2010, 16:38:50 »

You must be under some curse... or I'm blessed (which I doubt) since I went through Call of Pripyat without any real crash/problem...

Out of all the game's I've played on various PCs throughout the years, the only games I've had problems with were the 3 Stalker titles, and Star Control II. Everything else I've ever played has run well. Stalker (in general) is just weird like that: some people have zero problems, others crash like crazy. Sadly, that's the price you pay for creating an engine that attempts to heavily leverage DirectX 8,9,10, and 11 features in the same runtime. Looking through the crash logs, I see that the majority of my crashes come from AI problems, and the rest come from general graphics hiccups. I can drop back to DirectX 8 rendering, and that will cut my crashes by ~50% or so, but the game looks like ass, comparably speaking of course!

Offline ricercar

• * Elevated Elder
  • mostly abides
« Reply #114 on: Fri, 28 May 2010, 17:08:39 »
Anyone play the http://Onlive.com beta? Subscription model to allow gaming in a browser window, without needing advanced hardware.
I trolled Geekhack and all I got was an eponymous SPOS.

Offline Zalusithix

« Reply #115 on: Fri, 28 May 2010, 18:38:01 »
Bleh... OnLive is such a gimmick. 720p? Computer gamers have been playing at resolutions higher than that for ages - all without the compression artifacts and potential lag issues that OnLive will have. That and OnLive will crap out every time your net connection hiccups. Better hope you don't have quotas either 'cause gaming will use a hell of a lot more bandwidth over OnLive.

OnLive on a conceptual level will never be able to reach the quality that a real gaming PC will provide. It's a game being rendered at a server farm where each supercomputer/cluster will be rendering for multiple people at the same time (and also wasting cycles on compressing the video for sending to the player). Thus they'd need in the very least the aggregate computational power of the gaming rigs that each person would otherwise have. Given the power of modern day graphics cards and CPUs, this simply isn't possible. There's no hardware on earth that would allow them to match that power in a cost effective manner. Let alone set up multiple farms of such hardware for latency issues.

It's like trying to equal the computational power of the distributed Folding@home network on a single supercomputer. It just isn't going to happen. And even if you somehow could do it, the cost would be so prohibitive that it'd be insane to make a business out of it. Especially with the rate that hardware advances.

The only way it can do what it does is by running the games at lower settings and resolutions than somebody with a real gaming rig would want to. At best they'll be console level graphics. And in that case, just get a damn console. At least then you'll own physical copies of your games and not be affected by your internet dropping out for a moment.

Offline Mercen_505

« Reply #116 on: Fri, 28 May 2010, 23:49:33 »
Onlive is an interesting idea, sort of an "end game" scenario (pun not intended) for publishers where they control content through a totally fixed pipeline, and can extract whatever money they want in the process. Personally, I'm not looking forward to that day.

That said, the United States lacks the net infrastructure to make something like this work for anything but simple games. The beta clearly indicated that, from the numerous reports I've read. I have no reason to doubt them. Latency is going to bury this service. Supposedly puzzle games were fine, and racing games were laggy yet playable, and anything intense was outright unplayable. No surprise there.

The other problem is going to be that as resolutions push past 720p, no amount of compression is going to allow them to render a frame and toss it back to you in the amount of time needed to not notice lag. By the time the US' net infrastructure gets upgraded to support this, we'll be well past it in terms of resolution.

It's a neat idea, but I would imagine it's at least a decade away from being a viable service.

Offline kriminal

« Reply #117 on: Sat, 29 May 2010, 06:49:43 »
Quote from: ricercar;187787
Anyone play the http://Onlive.com beta? Subscription model to allow gaming in a browser window, without needing advanced hardware.

i cant support these kind of projects... sorry...
Geekhacked Filco FKBN87M/EB modified with Brown, black and blue cherries, doubleshot keycaps
Deck KBA-BL82 with Black cherries
Cherry G84-4100LCMDK-0 Cherry ML switches
Cherry G80-8200hpdus-2 Brown cherries
IBM Lexmark 51G8572 Model M Keyboard
Geekhacked Siig Minitouch KB1948
IBM Model M Mini 1397681

Offline Rajagra

« Reply #118 on: Sat, 29 May 2010, 16:50:36 »
Quote from: ripster;187142
My son is like me.  He plays on Noobie servers as a spy and tells them to turn around as he backstabs them.

Takes after his father?

"Oh, crap! It's that guy again!"

Offline lmnop

« Reply #119 on: Sat, 29 May 2010, 17:51:48 »
oh I forgot Warhammer 40,000: Dawn of War - Dark Crusade, Civilization series, Silent Hunter series and Galactic Civilization series. great games! :)
« Last Edit: Sat, 29 May 2010, 17:54:06 by lmnop »

Offline kishy

• Eye Bee M
    • http://kishy.ca/
« Reply #120 on: Sat, 29 May 2010, 19:34:17 »
No mo cheeto?
Enthusiast of springs which buckle noisily: my keyboards
Want to learn about the Kishsaver?
kishy.ca

Offline audioave10

« Reply #121 on: Sat, 29 May 2010, 23:07:34 »
When it comes to the Stalker Series, you have to be dedicated. After going to the GSC Gaming Forums for 2 years, I've used mods (some to stop crashes) to
make the Stalker games rival ANY games graphics and the AI is like no other. Lots of shooter/RPG elements in these and their not easy. However the pure atmosphere of dread in the "Zone" is quite unmatched. The graphics turned up are amazing in a rough/gritty way...not the beauty of "Crysis".  It is true that the engine is maxed out for its age but its a lotta fun for me. These true PC-only games are not for the plug-n-play crowd.
There is much to experiment with. Like this....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmHq-3sV_m8
« Last Edit: Sat, 29 May 2010, 23:09:57 by audioave10 »
DECK Legend "Toxic" - SOLD
96 IBM Model M 82G2383- 95 IBM Model M 92G7453 - SOLD
Cherry G80-3000/Blues
new: MechanicalEagle Z77 RGB/Blues

Offline n12

« Reply #122 on: Tue, 29 March 2011, 10:04:27 »
World of Warcraft, Osu!, Diablo II on occassion... No time for games really, WoW is just fun to hang out on and I'm too cheap to buy "real" games.

Offline phillip

« Reply #123 on: Tue, 29 March 2011, 11:43:40 »

Offline strum4h

« Reply #124 on: Thu, 31 March 2011, 09:27:59 »
Battlefield Bad Company 2, TF2, Starcraft 2, League of Legends, Minecraft, Counterstrike (1.6 and Source). I play way too much.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
Filco Tenkeyless with Browns  - SIIG minitouch GHSS

Offline Howie

« Reply #125 on: Thu, 31 March 2011, 15:55:36 »
Starcraft 2 mostly. Also the occational TF2, CS (Both source and 1.6), BC2 and Minecraft.

Offline vun

• Just one more thing
« Reply #126 on: Fri, 01 April 2011, 03:26:37 »
I mostly play SC2, Minecraft, Guild Wars when I can be arsed and the occasional MW2 game. Yes, MW2 is bad, but it requires no effort to play and there's no pressure, so it's nice for shutting down the brain for brief periods.

Been playing more SC: BW lately, hoping I'll get more into it as it's fantastic, but sort of hard to play for me since RTS doesn't come naturally to me like FPS games do.

I also tend to play some Oblivion, Splinter Cell: Conviction, CoD4, Crysis 2, Dragon Age and Diablo 2, though those see somewhat less action than the others.

Most of my multiplayer adventures are with a good friend of mine, and when I play singleplayer games we're still on skype a lot of the time.

Offline stupefaction

« Reply #127 on: Fri, 01 April 2011, 22:22:41 »
I discovered SpaceChem 24 hours ago and have since been playing it with nary a pause. Holy cow, what a game. It challenges you to design a pair of robots that act in parallel to assemble atoms into molecules. It's nerdalicious! Obsessive-compulsives and tinkering types will love it. If you collect mechanical keyboards,  you should probably check it out.
Waiting for something better than my SIIG USB Mini Multimedia. Can\'t imagine anything better than the Logitech Marble Mouse. Avatar derived from the original image by Thomas Shahan under the CC-BY-2.0 license.

Offline chodaboy

« Reply #128 on: Sat, 02 April 2011, 02:01:08 »
Oregon Trail...

You die of dysentery.

*&%^*&^$%!!!

Offline Zamorph

« Reply #129 on: Tue, 19 April 2011, 20:17:42 »
I currently play sc2 and combat arms.  I have my xbox here, been a member for 5 years and was a big fan of Halo, cod, fallout.  I recently stopped playing my xbox bc I just got tired of paying 50 a year :P.  Pretty much exclusively sc2, combat arms now and maybe some cs, ts2, and bf2 ( though i suck so bad i just usually rage quit( bf2 that is, just to clarify :P)).

Offline liist

« Reply #130 on: Wed, 20 April 2011, 02:30:38 »
On and off of Runescape for many, many years. I'm sober for about a year or so. I started playing back in Runescape Classic, and didn't really get good. All in all, I was way too ADD to get anywhere close to level 99 in anything. Part of me loves it, and a part of me died.

Also many years of playing flash games. Sometimes I like to go and have a little dose.

Used to have an Xbox until it broke. Now I play a PS2.

As far as games I own, I'm way behind. Just got addicted for about a week straight a month ago for AOE II because it was at Wal-Mart for $10.

That doesn't mean I don't know how to play. I beat my friends who own GT5, Forza 3, and Forza 2. I can hold my own on Halo and CoD. And yes, I probably play more on my friends' PS3s and 360s than anything else.

And I'll kick your ass in Mario Kart: Double Dash.
Kinesis Advantage, Filco Majestouch-2 104, Unicomp Spacesaver with blank keys, Several IBM Model M\'s, two Microsoft keyboards (forever retired)

Offline British

« Reply #131 on: Wed, 20 April 2011, 07:11:51 »
I've been re-playing System Shock 2 since a few days, with a bunch of mods to make it even better.
Now that's what FPS RPGs should be about...

I might start over the first one after that, I kinda miss the cyberspace.

BTW, WTF is this thread doing in "miscellaneous input devices" sub-forum ?!

Offline Moratorius

• Kyle Chong
« Reply #132 on: Fri, 29 April 2011, 09:06:54 »
I play through interesting single-player games (most recently Portal 2) when I have time, but I generally prefer playing multiplayer games.  I dabble in most MMO betas, though I generally don't stick around for the actual release.  The only computer game I still regularly play is Starcraft 2.
HHKB Type-S, Topre Realforce 87UB (55g)

Offline TheSoulhunter

• Thorpelicious!
« Reply #133 on: Sat, 30 April 2011, 06:29:45 »
Quote from: British;334086
BTW, WTF is this thread doing in "miscellaneous input devices" sub-forum ?!
First it was supposed to be a gaming related subforum, so we started tagging gaming related threads...
But then it was changed to "miscellaneous input devices", but all threads tagged "gaming" where moved to it.
« Last Edit: Sat, 30 April 2011, 06:32:13 by TheSoulhunter »

Offline Lanx

« Reply #134 on: Mon, 02 May 2011, 08:12:20 »
I have my bit of nostalgia this week and i'm gonna play
Star Control 2
if anyone saw that and is nostalgic too, the company released the source code almost 10 years ago and the community has recreated the game to work with modern computer systems and is a free download with all the 3do graphics and sound files
http://sc2.sourceforge.net/downloads.php

Star Control 2, imo is the grandfather of all major galactic plotlines in almost every good videogame created now. IMO bioware is based entirely on how Star Control drives the story, again this is NOT current gen or even previous gen graphics. this is like 1992 graphics, with just the best storyline ever created.

Offline microsoft windows

• Blue Troll of Death
  • * Exalted Elder
  • President of geekhack.org
    • Get Internet Explorer 6
« Reply #135 on: Mon, 02 May 2011, 17:09:17 »
I play Solitaire, Minesweeper, and Mowin' Maniac.
CLICK HERE!     OFFICIAL PRESIDENT OF GEEKHACK.ORG    MAKE AMERICA GREAT AGAIN MERRY CHRISTMAS

Offline keyboardlover

• Hey Paul Walker, Click It or Ticket!
    • http://www.keyboardlover.com
« Reply #136 on: Mon, 02 May 2011, 17:42:04 »
Quote from: microsoft windows;340613
I play Solitaire, Minesweeper, and Mowin' Maniac.

If you like those I highly recommend you check out "Washing Machine Emulator".

[video=youtube;scdDp51goXY]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=scdDp51goXY[/video]

Offline Brodie337

« Reply #137 on: Mon, 02 May 2011, 19:25:37 »
I'm still a HUGE Battlefield 2 and Battlefield 1942 junkie, though I never was a big fan of Vietnam.

Offline Vittra

• Airflow Optimizer
« Reply #138 on: Tue, 03 May 2011, 11:42:49 »
Quote from: Lanx;340258
I have my bit of nostalgia this week and i'm gonna play
Star Control 2
if anyone saw that and is nostalgic too, the company released the source code almost 10 years ago and the community has recreated the game to work with modern computer systems and is a free download with all the 3do graphics and sound files
http://sc2.sourceforge.net/downloads.php

Star Control 2, imo is the grandfather of all major galactic plotlines in almost every good videogame created now. IMO bioware is based entirely on how Star Control drives the story, again this is NOT current gen or even previous gen graphics. this is like 1992 graphics, with just the best storyline ever created.

I replayed Star Control 2 about a year ago, though I did so through Dosbox rather than this version. It's one of the games that has stood the test of time and is still enjoyable now - many of my other favourites of the 90s have not fared so well in comparison, though I still play Master of Orion 1 and sometimes 2 still.

Anyone who doesn't shy away from older stuff should definitely give Star Control 2 a try. One of the best games ever released.
Filco MJ Linear R LE TKL

Offline seung

« Reply #139 on: Tue, 03 May 2011, 12:57:46 »
Subspace!!!

Offline ricercar

• * Elevated Elder
  • mostly abides
« Reply #140 on: Tue, 03 May 2011, 18:06:10 »
Plants vs Zombies rocks.
I trolled Geekhack and all I got was an eponymous SPOS.

Offline kpeezy

« Reply #141 on: Tue, 03 May 2011, 22:24:34 »
I play CS 1.6 more than anyone should and SC2 is my other multiplayer game. I also play Smash Bros competitively.

I play other things too like WoW sometimes but I'm mostly into competitive games.

Offline squarebox

• In Omnia Paratus
« Reply #142 on: Wed, 04 May 2011, 01:45:07 »
Black Ops, MW2, L4D2 and Magicka
Filco Yellow Edition  | Filco Brown | Filco 2 Brown TKL | G80-1950 | G80-3494 | G80-11900 | Leopold FC500R | Noppoo Choc Mini

Offline reaper

• ** Moderator Emeritus
« Reply #143 on: Thu, 05 May 2011, 14:53:46 »
Minecraft, L4D 1 & 2, Plants vs Zombies, etc.
Att fly är livet, att dröja, döden.
Din Eli

Offline Bilbin

« Reply #144 on: Fri, 06 May 2011, 10:56:35 »
Well, I'm mostly into the competitive side of things. First PC FPS that I played multiplayer was CoD2 in '06, still play that every now and then. Call of Duty 4 for LANs + online leagues, though I don't play it actively anymore due to gaining an increased amount of bad rep on the CyberGamer website. Playing in a league for Black Ops but it's pretty much dead due to no mod tools. Really enjoying Quake Live and trying to get good at it fast, main reason sort of laying off the CoD series since it's just a dead spastic game with no skill involved. Play some single player games sometimes, played Portal 2 and it was terrible compared to the first. 1.6 + CS:S whenever friends want to PUG or I get asked to slut. Play some Visual Novels/Eroges sometimes. Recently I picked up osu! and it's a GREAT game, fun to play and I swear it increases aim in FPS ;)
Filco Majestouch Tenkeyless Blues - Razer Abyssus - PureTrak Talent

Offline snowball

« Reply #145 on: Fri, 06 May 2011, 12:01:25 »
I also have been enjoying quake live. So much so I picked up a ticket and will be driving the 1200 miles to QuakeCon.
Mice: Zowie EC2, SS Xai, Deathadder Black Edition, Imperator, MX 518, G9
Mousepad: Artisan KAI.g3 HARD, QCK+, SX, 9HD, I-2, NP+, QCK Heavy, Zowie G-TF
Keyboard: G6v2, Mini Choc (blue), Leo Otaku (brown), Poker (Red on order)

Offline Bilbin

« Reply #146 on: Fri, 06 May 2011, 12:10:12 »
Quote from: snowball;342542
I also have been enjoying quake live. So much so I picked up a ticket and will be driving the 1200 miles to QuakeCon.

I am a pile of jelly right now. :Cry:
Filco Majestouch Tenkeyless Blues - Razer Abyssus - PureTrak Talent

Offline phillip

« Reply #147 on: Fri, 06 May 2011, 13:37:30 »
I've never gone to quakecon even though it's less than an hour away D:

Offline NamelessPFG

« Reply #148 on: Fri, 06 May 2011, 18:22:28 »
Quote from: Vittra;341070
I replayed Star Control 2 about a year ago, though I did so through Dosbox rather than this version. It's one of the games that has stood the test of time and is still enjoyable now - many of my other favourites of the 90s have not fared so well in comparison, though I still play Master of Orion 1 and sometimes 2 still.

Anyone who doesn't shy away from older stuff should definitely give Star Control 2 a try. One of the best games ever released.
I regard it as my personal greatest game of all time so far, no nostalgia involved...and this is coming from someone who's played games like System Shock 2 and Deus Ex. Needless to say, I'm not stating that lightly.

Funny thing is, it's on GOG now, bundled with the first game for $5.99. (Probably the DOS version.) Since SC2:UQM is legal freeware now, that basically makes it $6 for the original, which I have yet to play.

Oh, and for those who like SC2:UQM, look into Starflight and its sequel. They pretty much laid the groundwork for what would become SC2, and Paul Reiche III is even in the Special Thanks section of the credits. (That has to be more than mere coincidence.)

Offline aynjell

« Reply #149 on: Tue, 10 May 2011, 16:37:55 »
Borderlands, Quake Live, World of Warcraft, and sometimes others. Quake 4, and Unreal 3 occasionally. Though my main game these days is quake live for competitive play, but when I'm just goofing off borderlands. Both games have impeccable mousing, which I love.
Das Keyboard Professional -mx blue- @ Work
Das Keyboard S Ultimate Silent -mx brown- @ Home

Do not fart in the same room as a dark brother or sister, to do so is to invoke the wrath of Sithis...