Author Topic: [PROJECT] Rama U80A ISO  (Read 7709 times)

Offline cypher858

[PROJECT] Rama U80A ISO
« on: Sat, 27 August 2022, 03:01:20 »
Heya all :)

I've been working on making my buddy in England's dream board come true for the last several months and I've hit a wall so I've come here for insight and / or assistance!

What I have so far:
1x Kuro Rama U80-A & included ansi hotswap pcb / plate
1x Custom printed ISO pom plate that I followed Hadi's tutorial videos on youtube to design in librecad (
)

what I need: iso pcb that will fit the u80-a & will accept the daughterboard connector.
doesn't need to be hotswappable or rgb friendly but if we can still give the option of front facing rgb that's never a /bad/ thing
The plate fits the kit and i'm happy with the result, but now I need a pcb and Hadi's video series isn't complete, so I have a sketched out drawing of where all the switches should go into the board but not much of an idea of how to proceed from there.

Are there any good resources available I should be aware of on how to complete this / would anyone be willing to help me finish it?
I'd also be happy to share the plate file I made if anyone is interested in it :)

Offline cypher858

Re: [PROJECT] Rama U80A ISO
« Reply #1 on: Wed, 15 March 2023, 18:58:13 »
well well well, if it isn't time for an update...

https://github.com/cypher858/u80iso

here's my github for the project, containing the platefile i made as well as the work in progress on the board thus far.

I started following ai03's guide and abandoned my old circuit board attempt entirely to start fresh.

I've made the schematic following the guide exactly, except i'm using the mx-only footprints, and my grid is tkl sized instead of 2x2.

I've attached the footprints to the components and arranged them onto the circuitboard as well. Now i've encountered a small issue. It seems that kicad is reading all of the MCU ground pins as VCC +5v now. Have I messed up a connection somewhere causing this or is kicad lying to me? can anyone help me troubleshoot / give the work i've done thus far some review? Thanks :)

Work TBD:
- fix the ground issue???
- replace usb from tutorial with jst daughterboard adaptor
- tracing
- silkscreening

edit:
did some digging in keyboard atelier and saw that the jst connector is just a 1x4 standard connection. Anyone know offhand what jst footprint i should use of the many available? Calling it for today.
« Last Edit: Thu, 16 March 2023, 02:05:58 by cypher858 »