Author Topic: Happy Hacking 2lite?  (Read 2635 times)

Offline aref

Happy Hacking 2lite?
« on: Thu, 13 March 2014, 19:00:58 »
I've been looking at an HH2L, but know nothing about the keyboard. Has anyone
used one and how do the key switches feel? Are they Topre-like in feel?  I've seen
the keyboard for about $90 on Amazon, which I know is on the high side. Your feedback
will be appreciated. Thanks.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0000U1DJ2/ref=s9_simh_gw_p147_d1_i2?pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_s=center-2&pf_rd_r=17NVW45NRV31VR3R5WAA&pf_rd_t=101&pf_rd_p=1688200382&pf_rd_i=507846

Offline hashbaz

• Grand Ancient One
  • * Moderator Emeritus
Re: Happy Hacking 2lite?
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 13 March 2014, 19:07:54 »
The HHKB Lite is standard rubber dome.  I've heard mixed opinions on how it feels vs. other rubber dome boards, but I think it's fair to say that it's nothing special.  I sure wouldn't pay $90 for one.

Offline aref

« Reply #2 on: Thu, 13 March 2014, 19:10:30 »
The HHKB Lite is standard rubber dome.  I've heard mixed opinions on how it feels vs. other rubber dome boards, but I think it's fair to say that it's nothing special.  I sure wouldn't pay $90 for one.

I did a little price research and found it selling for about $30 less on some sites. Thanks for the feedback.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #3 on: Thu, 13 March 2014, 19:22:22 »
Arrow keys aside, it will give you an indication whether you like the HHKB 60% layout or not.

If you find that you like it, and can get by without dedicated arrow keys, you might consider upgrading to HHKB 2 Pro at some stage.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline aref

« Reply #4 on: Thu, 13 March 2014, 19:24:37 »
I like the HHKB Pro 2 Pro. My only concern is the lack of cursor keys. I use my KBs for writing, no coding or gaming,
and cursor keys get a lot of use on my keyboards. Lately it's been an 55-gram, 87U I've been using pretty much exclusively.

Offline n0rvig

« Reply #5 on: Thu, 13 March 2014, 19:28:14 »
I used to use an HHKB 2 Lite. It's just like people describe above. The keys feel like the standard rubberdomes that you'd find on any other board. I think it's a definitely worth trying out if you can find one for $30. Personally, I wish I'd had the money to go big and buy the Topre.

Offline aref

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 13 March 2014, 19:35:20 »
I used to use an HHKB 2 Lite. It's just like people describe above. The keys feel like the standard rubberdomes that you'd find on any other board. I think it's a definitely worth trying out if you can find one for $30. Personally, I wish I'd had the money to go big and buy the Topre.

If I could find one for $30, I'd buy it, no second thoughts. I've never used a 60% keyboard. My preference has been TKL. I sold off or gave away my full-size KBs, save a Unicomp Ultra Classic; and the only reason I've kept it is that it has little resale value at $79 new. Also, an interesting feature on the 2 Lite I'm looking into is the 55-gram (non-Topre) key weighting--I find the feel of my Topre 55-gram key switches to be ideal for me.
« Last Edit: Thu, 13 March 2014, 19:40:27 by SSKGuy »

Offline hcry4

• HHKB Hoarder
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 13 March 2014, 19:47:45 »
I'm selling one for $50...

Offline aref

« Reply #8 on: Thu, 13 March 2014, 20:00:50 »
The posted and PM'd feedback I've gotten tells me the keyboard is really not worth considering for the price.
One guy said if I like my 55g Topre switches, I'll not like the HHKB 2's rubber domes at all. I may put the $90
toward another 87U (backup; as if I need a backup--likely not). I think it's an 87U/55g love affair.

Thanks for the offer, hcry4.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #9 on: Thu, 13 March 2014, 20:06:52 »
The posted and PM'd feedback I've gotten tells me the keyboard is really not worth considering for the price.
One guy said if I like my 55g Topre switches, I'll not like the HHKB 2's rubber domes at all. I may put the $90
toward another 87U (backup; as if I need a backup--likely not). I think it's an 87U/55g love affair.

That is completely understandable :D
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline aref

« Reply #10 on: Thu, 13 March 2014, 20:08:02 »

That is completely understandable :D

Thanks, brother!

Offline wharrislv

« Reply #11 on: Fri, 14 March 2014, 16:48:17 »
I have both a HHKB Pro 2 and a lite.  The lite feels very slightly better than a $10 dell keyboard, but the layout is HHKB (with arrows) so I still use it as a KVM board in a server rack.  I would NOT recommend it for a daily driver.  Unless you care not about feel/sound/etc. and are only looking for the layout, it isn't worth anywhere near their asking price.
Current daily drivers : HHKB Pro 2, HHKB Lite in a server rack, A few Filco numpads in brown and blue, Pure Pro in Brown with Rainbow PBT, CM Ninja in Brown with white engaved PBTs, two Model Ms 89 and 91 with a few red esc, Ergodox full in clear with blanks, a jdcarpe built 40% awaiting some Round 6 keycaps, and soon a Gon custom.  Hundreds more on site at a mechanical friendly work site where I am the purchaser.  If it exists, I probably have used one!

Offline ideus

• * Exalted Elder
  • Björkö.
« Reply #12 on: Fri, 14 March 2014, 17:05:57 »
I have both a HHKB Pro 2 and a lite.  The lite feels very slightly better than a $10 dell keyboard, but the layout is HHKB (with arrows) so I still use it as a KVM board in a server rack.  I would NOT recommend it for a daily driver.  Unless you care not about feel/sound/etc. and are only looking for the layout, it isn't worth anywhere near their asking price.

You just can't compare two different technologies for switches. Capacitive and rubber domes.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #13 on: Fri, 14 March 2014, 17:07:59 »
You can. Yes, you can.

Offline Fragil1ty

• Abre los ojos.
« Reply #14 on: Sat, 15 March 2014, 09:54:07 »
Wouldn't even bother buying this to be honest, just get a standard MX board, something of better quality and what not, because from the reviews that I've read thus far, it's a crappy board that is not really worth the money >:

Better yet just save up for a HHKB2 Pro. >demfeels.
你搞砸了

Offline aref

« Reply #15 on: Sat, 15 March 2014, 10:34:11 »
I'll stay with my 55-gram 87U and use my CMQFR for an alternative keyboard.
Thanks for the feedback.