Author Topic: [IC] MAJA (Majapahit) (Group Buy Started, Moving to Group Buy Thread)  (Read 198486 times)

Offline econeuler

Re: [IC] MAJA (Majapahit) Ergo Keyboard --- [Coming Soon on KBDFANS]
« Reply #500 on: Tue, 05 May 2020, 14:18:49 »
Very excited for this to go live  :thumb:

Offline Sylvestyeo

« Reply #501 on: Wed, 06 May 2020, 00:22:58 »
Camping on KBDfans site for this and the Bella 75%!

Offline ViciousVerbivore

« Reply #502 on: Wed, 06 May 2020, 09:12:30 »
Guys I think i didnt explain quite well.. this is not a exclusive limited product, you cant really flip this just like other kbdfans board, first batch kbdfnas will make 100 case with 3 color dan RGB PCB, when first batch sold out they will make second batch with other color and maybe solder pcb version.. they will keep doing this until the demand is low.

I've thought about this a bit more, and it's not really the flipping that is the issue - that's almost a given when trading in things where demand exceeds supply - the margins will vary depending on the difference between supply and demand volumes and the commodity and how well it will hold its value over time among other things, but it will almost always be a seller's market.

What I can't agree with is "this is not a exclusive limited product", as there is no way for everyone who wants one (assuming supply is equal to or greater than demand) to be assured of a purchase if each batch is a FCFS sale. For example, (assuming that for all batches except the last one, supply is less than or equal to demand) those who lack the internet infrastructure, or reflexes or even scripting skills to quickly checkout their carts are at a disadvantage, and they may be unable to make the purchase of the product in a desired color, or at a convenient time, etc. This may then lead to them having to pay a higher rate in the aftermarket, or to arrange a swap if they managed to snag a configuration not to their liking, etc. but that's really down to the individual and whether or not they are patient enough to wait for the next round of sales - but there is no guarantee that they will succeed there either.

I understand that what is being planned will mean that people could just wait for the next sale every time they miss out on the purchase, but, that's difficult to plan for, without knowing whether whatever demand remains will be enough for KBDfans to make another run, and the intervals at which those runs will happen. There is also no way to prevent repeat buyers from previous rounds putting pressure on the supply. And, let's face that we're in a hobby where there's always something new coming along all the time, and there may not be enough interest (not the same as demand) in something to sustain more than a handful of runs - that's a disservice to those who were very keen, but missed out, but also to the designer, especially if it's a unique, well-thought out product like this one.

While I am unaware of exactly why KBDfans no longer wants to run traditional GBs, I can speculate that it's very likely down to QC/packaging/fulfillment/logistics issues - unless it's something very specific to the way KBDfans operates with their suppliers. If it were up to me, I would still push to go about the sale in the compromise manner that I suggested in my previous post - open order forms for one minute for the sale of some reasonably large number of units, say 500, and then fulfill those on a FCFS basis (effectively the order in which they were checked out) in batches of whatever number works for KBDfans; repeat if necessary, working off the number of waiting list sign-ups or order overflows. KBDfans then needs to communicate to the buyers - still using the same schedule they would have had for five runs of 100 boards each - when they can expect to receive their board based on their position in the list of buyers - while a pipe dream, I would love to hear what others think of this format.

Anyway, sorry for the rambling post, but I'm just trying to offer my perspective as a prospective buyer (or not, depending on my FCFS skills and luck) of a very attractive and unique board from a designer who has been very proactive and taken on board (ha!) a lot of feedback from the community during the IC. It just seems that with FCFS (and the lack of some options that many users seem to be keen on), both parties aren't going to be able to see the full potential of those interactions. I'll still look forward to snagging a Majapahit, and wish you good luck with the sale, Vulcan!

Offline rockydbull

« Reply #503 on: Wed, 06 May 2020, 21:54:58 »
Guys I think i didnt explain quite well.. this is not a exclusive limited product, you cant really flip this just like other kbdfans board, first batch kbdfnas will make 100 case with 3 color dan RGB PCB, when first batch sold out they will make second batch with other color and maybe solder pcb version.. they will keep doing this until the demand is low.

I've thought about this a bit more, and it's not really the flipping that is the issue - that's almost a given when trading in things where demand exceeds supply - the margins will vary depending on the difference between supply and demand volumes and the commodity and how well it will hold its value over time among other things, but it will almost always be a seller's market.

What I can't agree with is "this is not a exclusive limited product", as there is no way for everyone who wants one (assuming supply is equal to or greater than demand) to be assured of a purchase if each batch is a FCFS sale. For example, (assuming that for all batches except the last one, supply is less than or equal to demand) those who lack the internet infrastructure, or reflexes or even scripting skills to quickly checkout their carts are at a disadvantage, and they may be unable to make the purchase of the product in a desired color, or at a convenient time, etc. This may then lead to them having to pay a higher rate in the aftermarket, or to arrange a swap if they managed to snag a configuration not to their liking, etc. but that's really down to the individual and whether or not they are patient enough to wait for the next round of sales - but there is no guarantee that they will succeed there either.

I understand that what is being planned will mean that people could just wait for the next sale every time they miss out on the purchase, but, that's difficult to plan for, without knowing whether whatever demand remains will be enough for KBDfans to make another run, and the intervals at which those runs will happen. There is also no way to prevent repeat buyers from previous rounds putting pressure on the supply. And, let's face that we're in a hobby where there's always something new coming along all the time, and there may not be enough interest (not the same as demand) in something to sustain more than a handful of runs - that's a disservice to those who were very keen, but missed out, but also to the designer, especially if it's a unique, well-thought out product like this one.

While I am unaware of exactly why KBDfans no longer wants to run traditional GBs, I can speculate that it's very likely down to QC/packaging/fulfillment/logistics issues - unless it's something very specific to the way KBDfans operates with their suppliers. If it were up to me, I would still push to go about the sale in the compromise manner that I suggested in my previous post - open order forms for one minute for the sale of some reasonably large number of units, say 500, and then fulfill those on a FCFS basis (effectively the order in which they were checked out) in batches of whatever number works for KBDfans; repeat if necessary, working off the number of waiting list sign-ups or order overflows. KBDfans then needs to communicate to the buyers - still using the same schedule they would have had for five runs of 100 boards each - when they can expect to receive their board based on their position in the list of buyers - while a pipe dream, I would love to hear what others think of this format.

Anyway, sorry for the rambling post, but I'm just trying to offer my perspective as a prospective buyer (or not, depending on my FCFS skills and luck) of a very attractive and unique board from a designer who has been very proactive and taken on board (ha!) a lot of feedback from the community during the IC. It just seems that with FCFS (and the lack of some options that many users seem to be keen on), both parties aren't going to be able to see the full potential of those interactions. I'll still look forward to snagging a Majapahit, and wish you good luck with the sale, Vulcan!

I think you really nailed it. I see people carrying the water for these new formats by saying the window was open for a whole hour or 2 hours. Ok cool, but some people can't jump on their computer and purchase a keyboard 24/7. This is especially problematic with kbdfans because they list stuff while most of USA is asleep. This may be changing in the future though because they are about to launch the 65% at in est morning.

Offline m1gs

« Reply #504 on: Wed, 06 May 2020, 22:15:17 »
is there a discord for this?

Offline gorbachev

« Reply #505 on: Thu, 07 May 2020, 00:56:17 »
Can someone remind me which firmware this runs on? QMK?

Offline hcoopos

Re: [IC] MAJA (Majapahit) Ergo Keyboard --- [Prototype photo is up]
« Reply #506 on: Thu, 07 May 2020, 01:03:34 »
Split backspace going to be supported?

+1, although I doubt it

Offline m1gs

« Reply #507 on: Thu, 07 May 2020, 11:22:00 »
It says on discord:
MAJA:The last sample is in production, and 100 sets will be produced in March

but here in geekhack it says:
timeline
- Finish the design in August
- Submit to factory for proto in September

I'm confused on the updates, what is its current status?

Offline elmo

• Hello I like keyboards
    • Elmo's keyboards
« Reply #508 on: Thu, 07 May 2020, 11:33:36 »
It says on discord:

timeline

Current status is that the board is listed on kbdfans now and according to them it will be available later this month as an in-stock item

Offline nostr

« Reply #509 on: Thu, 07 May 2020, 13:17:48 »
How is this going to be mounted?

Offline YMwoo

« Reply #510 on: Thu, 07 May 2020, 21:33:01 »
It says on discord:

timeline

The OP isn't updated, the IC was posted early last year and the August and September there were for 2019 initially.

Offline krey

« Reply #511 on: Mon, 11 May 2020, 00:28:51 »
hope this goes live soon.
Kepler FC65 | 7v | Think6.5 v1 | Maja | G60 | TX75v2 | Fjell | Klippe x2 | Acrylic Tofu | CA66 | Norbaforce

Offline MdotMaxson

« Reply #512 on: Wed, 13 May 2020, 02:51:25 »
Is it only available in black? Just going off what I see on kbdfans website?

Offline knitandcode

« Reply #513 on: Wed, 13 May 2020, 11:11:02 »
Is it only available in black? Just going off what I see on kbdfans website?

OP mentioned that the colors are going to likely be: Black, Grey, Rose gold/ silver.

Offline vurtomatic

« Reply #514 on: Wed, 13 May 2020, 12:51:31 »
Wondering if there are people who use Alice-style keyboards with a Mac? The bottom row looks spread out, how would you type Shift+Option+Cmd+V?

Offline donutfactory

« Reply #515 on: Thu, 14 May 2020, 10:39:54 »
Wondering if there are people who use Alice-style keyboards with a Mac? The bottom row looks spread out, how would you type Shift+Option+Cmd+V?
I do. I move the modifiers.
Caps > Control, lower-left > Alt, left of space > Cmd.

Offline kosoy

« Reply #516 on: Thu, 14 May 2020, 10:49:35 »
have there been any updates regarding PCB? Still says hotswap on the site but I'm curious if this will also have a non-hotswap option

Offline vurtomatic

« Reply #517 on: Thu, 14 May 2020, 13:30:31 »
I do. I move the modifiers.
Caps > Control, lower-left > Alt, left of space > Cmd.

Ah nice, do you have a picture of your layout you can share?

Offline FunBox

• Null
« Reply #518 on: Sun, 24 May 2020, 19:24:59 »
What type of mounting style will this use?

Sent from my SM-N975U1 using Tapatalk

Offline elmo

• Hello I like keyboards
    • Elmo's keyboards
« Reply #519 on: Mon, 25 May 2020, 06:37:15 »
What type of mounting style will this use?

It's top-mount :)

Offline bs

« Reply #520 on: Mon, 25 May 2020, 18:34:16 »
Is this still slated for the end of the month?

Offline TalksToChalk

« Reply #521 on: Mon, 25 May 2020, 19:35:38 »
I hope so  but the month is getting close to over

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline kanki0213

« Reply #522 on: Mon, 25 May 2020, 20:20:26 »
Anyone who knows discord address?

Offline vi0till

« Reply #523 on: Tue, 26 May 2020, 01:16:42 »
I hope there will be solder pcb, so I can build with different layout.

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

Offline woyaodapian

« Reply #524 on: Wed, 27 May 2020, 08:46:58 »
based on KBDfans is black the only offered color now?

Offline $W4GK!NG

• Keyboard/Car/Audio Enthusiast
    • Linktree
« Reply #525 on: Wed, 27 May 2020, 09:29:35 »
Hopefully this come with both type of PCB, I want to have option :)))

Offline BuddhaBen

« Reply #526 on: Wed, 27 May 2020, 10:54:15 »
KBD just posted a update on this on their discord. GOOD NEWS!

100 units for sale at beginning of June, then they will be doing a UNLIMITED group buy.

Offline shenan97

« Reply #527 on: Wed, 27 May 2020, 11:03:01 »

100 units for sale at beginning of June, then they will be doing a UNLIMITED group buy.
Does that mean that they have units to be shipped out immediately?

Offline BuddhaBen

« Reply #528 on: Wed, 27 May 2020, 11:06:59 »
Thats how i read it. I imagine they ran a production test of 100 units to see if they could produce it at a standard they like.

Offline NcXDevil

« Reply #529 on: Wed, 27 May 2020, 11:08:45 »

Does that mean that they have units to be shipped out immediately?

It's a group buy, so no

Offline vi0till

« Reply #530 on: Wed, 27 May 2020, 11:09:55 »

I wish the creator can discuss with kbdfans to offer solder pcb and other type of plate during the unlimited gb. BTW, what is the typing angle for this keyboard?

« Last Edit: Wed, 27 May 2020, 11:14:32 by vi0till »

Offline m1gs

« Reply #531 on: Wed, 27 May 2020, 12:39:14 »

Would like to clarify I知 a bit confused.. so after the 100 units are officially sold, group buy will start at once? Or it値l take a couple of months to start?

Offline FunBox

• Null
« Reply #532 on: Wed, 27 May 2020, 13:10:23 »

Would like to clarify I知 a bit confused.. so after the 100 units are officially sold, group buy will start at once? Or it値l take a couple of months to start?

I am also wondering this. I might have to delay before buying it right away but If I have to wait months of unspecified time I might have to move some things around so I can get the initial drop

Offline BuddhaBen

« Reply #533 on: Wed, 27 May 2020, 13:41:04 »
"3. VULCAN X KBDFANS MAJA: We will offer 100 sets at the beginning of June first, then start unlimited Group Buy."

No real details.

Offline m1gs

« Reply #534 on: Thu, 28 May 2020, 09:14:48 »
Just got a word from KBDFans-Bob via Discord. After the 100 sets are sold, group buy will follow at once.

Offline Domantas

Re: [IC] Majapahit Ergo Keyboard
« Reply #535 on: Thu, 28 May 2020, 11:34:29 »
Couple suggestions:
Split Backspace support
Moving the right 3-key cluster a bit more right to accommodate a forth key below that fits in the space next to the up arrow key

Beautiful board, I will be stalking its progress  ;D

Bad suggestion. I don't like either split backspace, either why you really need 4 key?

Offline Vulcan

« Reply #536 on: Thu, 28 May 2020, 22:41:33 »

Not at once, will take 1 month before GB

Offline woyaodapian

« Reply #537 on: Thu, 28 May 2020, 23:10:08 »
and what would be the offered color options now?

Offline Vulcan

« Reply #538 on: Thu, 28 May 2020, 23:14:15 »

Plain standar color, Black, Grey, Silver

Offline vi0till

« Reply #539 on: Thu, 28 May 2020, 23:15:20 »

Any chance to offer more colors during unlimited gb? and solder pcb option?

Offline TalksToChalk

« Reply #540 on: Thu, 28 May 2020, 23:15:56 »
Do we know what time of day it will launch?

Offline ramnes

• T fou, mec?
« Reply #541 on: Fri, 29 May 2020, 00:45:39 »
Interesting
23h18 - photekq: hhkb with silenced realforce sliders and lubricated well is
23h18 - photekq: the best switch i've used

Offline theside123

« Reply #542 on: Fri, 29 May 2020, 01:03:22 »
when gb start?

Offline Vulcan

« Reply #543 on: Fri, 29 May 2020, 03:39:06 »

Any chance to offer more colors during unlimited gb? and solder pcb option?

yes solder PCB will be offers in GB. for color we will discus with factory

Offline woyaodapian

« Reply #544 on: Fri, 29 May 2020, 04:15:19 »
seems like KBD have been v restrictive when it comes to the design and manufacturing elements even the colors offered are limited.
Hope more allowance can be achieved in the upcoming group buy.

Offline theside123

« Reply #545 on: Fri, 29 May 2020, 21:22:03 »
There are no indicators or imprints on the keyboard top ?? I wish the design from the front was nicer.

Offline theside123

« Reply #546 on: Fri, 29 May 2020, 21:25:12 »
What is the mount method?

Offline FunBox

• Null
« Reply #547 on: Fri, 29 May 2020, 21:28:00 »
Top mount

Offline aib

« Reply #548 on: Sat, 30 May 2020, 13:31:46 »
Will there be a PC option for GB

Offline superdang

« Reply #549 on: Sat, 30 May 2020, 14:40:46 »
Any chance the plate files will be released for those of us who might want to have something other than brass made?