Author Topic: [IC] A Unique Cherry Vintage Brown Felling Switches--Chazhu Switches  (Read 4005 times)

Offline Aregs Keyboard

Revo Studio, working with JWICK, creates the ChaZhu(Teazhu) switch, a tribute to Cherry MX Vintage Brown switch.

When creating, Revo tries to close the typing feeling of Cherry Vintage Brown switch, that adding Linear feature before tactile, which makes the tactile feel very lighter.

The housing material is made from nylon. The team modifies it so that the switch being much smoother and reducing noise.

299394-0299396-1299398-2299400-3

For every 100 people added to our channel we'll havea Giveaway!
Our discord:https://discord.gg/3zeEu5mxBn

SPEC

Tactile (light tactile)
modified Nylon Housing
Modified pom stem
Total travel 4.0mm
Pre-travel 2.0mm
operating force 45+/-5gf
bottom force 60+/-5gf
18mm spring
Manued by JWICK

Sound Test:

Link:https://nlandkeys.com/products/pre-order-revo-chazhu-micro-tactile-switches

Offline The0rigina1

• fumoposting
Re: [IC] A Unique Cherry Vintage Brown Felling Switches--Chazhu Switches
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 30 May 2023, 11:02:16 »
Impossible to have a correct sound test if you do it on a keyboard with foam

Offline HungerMechanic

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 30 May 2023, 12:49:15 »
Is there a Canadian vendor?

Offline herfalerf

« Reply #3 on: Tue, 30 May 2023, 22:31:21 »
another advertisement.  this isn't an interest check as you have already designed and released the product. 

Offline Aregs Keyboard

« Reply #4 on: Wed, 31 May 2023, 11:24:32 »
We are only offering it for sale on NLandkeys, but only charge five dollars for shipping cost to Canada

Offline HungerMechanic

« Reply #5 on: Wed, 31 May 2023, 13:55:13 »
We are only offering it for sale on NLandkeys, but only charge five dollars for shipping cost to Canada

OK, thanks. I will buy some.

Offline KeebRehab

« Reply #6 on: Thu, 01 June 2023, 20:47:40 »
Please send out some to content creators for review. I think you can get a lot more people to consider buying this way.

Offline actress

« Reply #7 on: Fri, 02 June 2023, 06:19:29 »
Vintage browns do not have an 18mm spring

Offline conternecticus

• (¬‿¬ )
« Reply #8 on: Fri, 02 June 2023, 23:40:16 »
Any Asia/CN vendor? I have a proxy in Asia and I would like to purchase through them.

Offline mr_foggy

• land of the worst vendor(s)
« Reply #9 on: Sat, 03 June 2023, 08:13:02 »
uh I've seen the same switch on KPrepublic...

Offline Aregs Keyboard

« Reply #10 on: Sat, 03 June 2023, 11:24:10 »
uh I've seen the same switch on KPrepublic...
ahh,yes, they are our partner

Offline The0rigina1

• fumoposting
« Reply #11 on: Sun, 04 June 2023, 05:08:10 »
Vintage browns do not have an 18mm spring
It's bait for r-worded people

Offline HungerMechanic

« Reply #12 on: Tue, 06 June 2023, 02:03:50 »
I know they're not vintage browns ... for several reasons.

But I'm interested in any factory-lubed Browns, and these are purporting to be decent. So it's worth checking out for me.

[No-one has made any serious attempts at manufacturing Vints, AFAIK].

Offline The0rigina1

• fumoposting
« Reply #13 on: Tue, 06 June 2023, 02:34:15 »
I know they're not vintage browns ... for several reasons.

But I'm interested in any factory-lubed Browns, and these are purporting to be decent. So it's worth checking out for me.

[No-one has made any serious attempts at manufacturing Vints, AFAIK].
Every switch manufacturer is making vints. What makes vints, well, vints, are the time, not the manufacturer
Look for pewters or durock light tactile for factory-lubed brown clone

Offline HungerMechanic

« Reply #14 on: Tue, 06 June 2023, 02:50:08 »
Impossible to have a correct sound test if you do it on a keyboard with foam

Here's a short 'review' posted by KPRepublic:

It isn't very thorough, and seems to be where the 'sound test' is derived from. There is a sound comparison of individual unlubed and hand-lubed switches.

It interested me, because it seems like a honest attempt at a Brown-like switch. It will have a Cherry-like mid-bump placement, with linear pre-travel, and a nylon housing. It will likely end up as a smoother MX-Brown with a more clearly-defined bump.

Many Brown clones imitate the indistinct Cherry bump and inconsistent 60 G springs of modern MX Browns, or go too far in trying to create Ergo Clears. The Chazhu is going to try for the slightly more pronounced tactility and better smoothness that Vint Browns are remembered for. So I'm interested, especially if they come pre-lubed.

The 18mm [62 G?] spring is disconcerting, and shows that they aren't going for true Vint Browns. Feels like a shortcut to create 'poppy' switches instead of perfecting smoothness and consistent spring weights. I guess you could respring them, but who wants that hassle?

You can buy 35 switches from KPRepublic, so I may go with that option because I just want to see what they are like. Too few manufacturers actually try to make 'correct' Browns. Durock Light Tactile was supposed to be like Vint Browns initially, but they went with their own stem design and stupid 67 G springs. So the Chazhu seem like an attempt at 'good Browns,' even if the Vint marketing is nonsense.

Regarding your new comment, of course "Vints" are a relative measurement and everything becomes Vint.

But with regard to MX Browns, "Vints" mean something specific. Even if the perception is wrong. "Vints" in Cherry usually refer to the original decade or so that they started production in. So 1980s-1990s for Blacks and Clears, 1990s for Browns.

Cherry tooling did noticeably degrade starting around 2010 or so, and became pretty bad for some switches [e.g. Clears] mid-decade. People want Cherries from certain time periods because there's a perception that the tooling was in better shape.

The reputation of "Vint Browns" is that they were smoother and with a more clearly-defined bump than post 2010-Browns. Less sand and grit, and maybe a cleaner stem. Some people think the older Browns might have been a bit heavier or more tactile. Maybe none of this is true, but this is the perception. It's not well-documented, because not as many people care about Browns like they do about Blacks. I have typed on some "Vintage" MX Clears, and they were markedly better than any I tried from the past two decades.

So "Vints" in Cherry MX refer to those produced in a specific time period. The different "Vint" switches [Black, Clear, Brown] have their own reputations, even if they are undeserved. So yes, when sometimes says "Vint" when referring to Cherries, it refers to a specific time period and quality assumption. Nobody is selling MX Blacks, Browns, or Clears from 2015 as "Vints." They could try someday, but those switches have a negative reputation.

Offline HungerMechanic

« Reply #15 on: Tue, 06 June 2023, 02:56:34 »

Look for pewters or durock light tactile for factory-lubed brown clone

Pewters / DLT are their own thing. I have tested both.

The Durock stem is noticeably different than MX Brown. In terms of pre-travel, location of bump, and force at top.

I wanted them to be my endgame MX Brown replacements.

I agree that "Vint Brown" is used as a BS marketing term. Sometime should try to manufacture what the "Vint Browns" are imagined to be. Produce an MX Brown with modern tooling. Closest I've seen is the KTT Mallo, although the spring choices are heavier or lighter than MX Browns.

The Chazhu, or some switch like them, have the potential to be 'improved MX Browns.' Which is hard to do, it's a subtle switch. People shouldn't advertise switches as being "Vint Browns," since the manufacturers aren't trying to do that. But they should try to make better Browns.

Offline HungerMechanic

« Reply #16 on: Tue, 06 June 2023, 03:41:06 »
There's a problem in discussing so-called "Vint Browns" because not everybody means the same things when they are talking about them. Honest people who are customizing keyboards sometimes think there are two categories of Browns, "Vint" and "Retooled." But when you look at it more closely, it's "Vint" [1990s to 2005], "Pre-tooled" [non retooled, 'degraded-tooling' 2005-2017], and then "Retooled" [2017 retooling and the later Hyperglides].

You can see people struggling with this in this thread, for example:

https://www.reddit.com/r/MechanicalKeyboards/comments/gg7sw4/difference_between_vint_browns_n_retooled_browns/

It's the 1990s-2005 Browns that have the supposed higher-quality.

My position is basically:

1. There is a such thing, at least in people's imaginations, of "Vint Browns." It refers to a specific, shared-imaginary.

2. Marketers are being dishonest when they say a switch is like "Vint Browns," since almost no manufacturer has tried to make Cherry Browns with the best available tooling and quality standards.

There was some hype initially about "Vintage Browns" with Durock Light Tactile and Pewters. But they are a deviation from MX Brown. Many people think that they are "better Browns," and for many it is true. However, they were not "better Browns" for me.

So I'm always interested in what manufacturers are putting out, no matter the hype marketing. In no way do I expect "Vint Browns" from Chazhu, but they have the possibility of being nice Brown-like switches. And that's really what I am looking for. Despite dishonesty, when a switch is advertised as "Vint Browns," it likely means they are at least trying to produce a decent switch.