Author Topic: Getting the most out of Buckling Springs  (Read 4489 times)

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
Getting the most out of Buckling Springs
« on: Mon, 23 February 2015, 16:18:28 »
Thanks to the amazingly generous nubbinator, I am currently typing on a beautiful Unicomp.  This is the first time I have ever typed on a BS board, so it is an interesting experience.  I have to say that I am enjoying it, but I also feel like I am not getting most out of this switch type.  Here are a couple things I have noticed...

- There is a bit of a spring sounding twang that is a bit annoying.  It was more noticeable right away, but this is not really bothering me anymore.  Is there a way to cut down on that twang?  I was thinking that lubing the springs a bit would probably dampen the spring vibration and would probably reduce that twange.

- More importantly, I am finding that some keys are not quite as consistent as others in terms of key weight.  I am attributing this to friction in the stems as that is what it feels like when I am typing.  I suspect that lubing BS boards is probably pretty easy and I suspect that It would make a pretty big difference since there is a lot of plastic on plastic contact.  Is there anything I need to pay attention to and be careful of when lubing a BS keyboard?  I did a quick search and saw that some people had done it, but I have not seen any guides on the topic.

Is there anything else I should be looking into to really get the best out of this beautiful beast?

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
Re: Getting the most out of Buckling Springs
« Reply #1 on: Mon, 23 February 2015, 16:23:22 »
The floss mod takes away a lot of the overtones, but it is not as satisfying on an M as on an F.

I have not tried lubing them.

"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #2 on: Mon, 23 February 2015, 16:29:46 »
The floss mod takes away a lot of the overtones, but it is not as satisfying on an M as on an F.

I have not tried lubing them.

Interesting, thanks.  I will look up what that mod is and how to do it.  Why would it be more satisfying on an M than an F?  I was under the impression that they had the same switch type.  2400 posts and still a n00b.  :P

Offline FreeCopy

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #3 on: Mon, 23 February 2015, 16:33:42 »
About lubing, it seems more effort than it's worth. I have not done lubing at all on any BS boards and they feel smooth and uniform.

Here's a small bit on lubing or "greasing" an M: http://www.knizefamily.net/russ/computing/keyboards/ibm-model-m-grease-mod/
Keyboards
More
Poker II | Leopold fc500r | Bolt Modded M 1391401 x2 08NOV90 - 19NOV90 | FK-2001 White Alps Clones | Filco MJ2 104Bolt Modded SSK 1391472 27JUL87 | Winkeyless B.87 TKL | MiniVan GateReds 62g

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #4 on: Mon, 23 February 2015, 16:35:52 »
I started to floss mod that board (check the num pad) since it was really pingy, like really obnoxiously so.  The floss helped, but seemed to dampen a little of the tactility as well.

I'd be afraid to lube the spring unless it's a non-capacitive dry lube.   I know some people have greased the spring to reduce noise as well.

The variation in feel could be a couple of factors.  It could be friction, but it could also be something like the springs losing strength due to age and use.  It could also be something like some of the rivets starting to go and the board needing to be bolt modded.  It could also be how the plate is in the case.  I'm not a huge Model M fan since they do feel more inconsistent and, IMO, they're just not as nice as a Model F.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #5 on: Mon, 23 February 2015, 16:41:40 »
Why would it be more satisfying on an M than an F? 

A Model F is mostly metal with a lot of parts and has a lot of ringing overtones.

A Model M is mostly plastic and the barrel plate in particular is all one piece, so there are a lot less overtones in any case.

The Model F is much more "live" feeling so a little deadening does not hurt so much. An M is kind of lifeless in comparison, relative to sound and feel, so losing some ping is more noticeable.
"The Trump campaign announced in a letter that Republican candidates and committees are now expected to pay “a minimum of 5% of all fundraising solicitations to Trump National Committee JFC” for using his “name, image, and likeness in fundraising solicitations.”
“Any split that is higher than 5%,” the letter states, “will be seen favorably by the RNC and President Trump's campaign and is routinely reported to the highest levels of leadership within both organizations.”"

Offline FreeCopy

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #6 on: Mon, 23 February 2015, 16:42:31 »
It could also be something like some of the rivets starting to go and the board needing to be bolt modded.

I had assumed this might be something you already did to the board. In that case I should have mentioned mine are bolted with new hammers and springs from unicomp. Noticeable difference in my first one where I left the originals in. Has an inconsistent and worn feeling.
Keyboards
More
Poker II | Leopold fc500r | Bolt Modded M 1391401 x2 08NOV90 - 19NOV90 | FK-2001 White Alps Clones | Filco MJ2 104Bolt Modded SSK 1391472 27JUL87 | Winkeyless B.87 TKL | MiniVan GateReds 62g

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #7 on: Mon, 23 February 2015, 16:53:33 »
Very interesting. Thanks for the feedback guys, this is exactly what I was looking for.

I will check the floss mod on the numpad so I understand what that mod is. Thanks nubs.

I will also take it apart and have a look at the barrel. The board does not feel too inconsistent in that way. The same key can feel different depending on the angle I hit it from which makes me think lube would help.

I will avoid lubing the springs for now as there seems to be more going on there. I will work my way to that if need be, but the floss mod seems like the known solution to the problem, so I will check that out.

Offline Snowdog993

• Grace Under Pressure
  • Justifiably Clueless.
« Reply #8 on: Mon, 23 February 2015, 21:56:41 »
Which Unicomp keyboard did you obtain?  Was it a 101 or a 122 key model?  My Unicomp 103 feels very consistent.  I have heard tales of the 122 key model not being very consistent at all.  I've never had the 122 key model myself, but that would answer some of the questions you are talking about I think.
I believe there is a serious difference between the 101 and 122 models.

Edit: I have that 103 key model!  Errrgh!
« Last Edit: Tue, 24 February 2015, 14:08:53 by Snowdog993 »

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #9 on: Tue, 24 February 2015, 00:07:26 »
Which Unicomp keyboard did you obtain?  Was it a 101 or a 122 key model?  My Unicomp 101 feels very consistent.  I have heard tales of the 122 key model not being very consistent at all.  I've never had the 122 key model myself, but that would answer some of the questions you are talking about I think.
I believe there is a serious difference between the 101 and 122 models.

Its a 101.  It does not feel bad.  I am just trying to see how good I can make it feel.  Given how many people love BS on here, I figured there must be some tricks.  :)  I have not taken it apart to know if the rivets are loose on the barrel or anything like that, but I suspect is is probably pretty solid because it does not feel too lively (which I would expect if it was loose).

Offline Melvang

• Exquisite Lord of Bumfluff
  • * Maker
  • Melvang's Desktop Customs
« Reply #10 on: Tue, 24 February 2015, 00:22:25 »
I tried sourcing some of the preferred floss for a floss mod for myself locally.  I guess the preferred stuff is Oral B Super Floss.  I didn't feel like paying online prices plus shipping so I started digging around the house for a suitable alternative.  I believe I have found one.  The interior core threads from Paracord.  Best part is you get 7 times the length of the parent material, plus you can use the outer sheath form many things (though it is the interior core strands that give the strength).

I will be assembling my XT post plastidip on the top plate and will be doing a before and after video using that stuff for it.  Initial impressions when done in the numpad area were good.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline Snowdog993

• Grace Under Pressure
  • Justifiably Clueless.
« Reply #11 on: Tue, 24 February 2015, 00:53:13 »

Its a 101.  It does not feel bad.  I am just trying to see how good I can make it feel.  Given how many people love BS on here, I figured there must be some tricks.  :)  I have not taken it apart to know if the rivets are loose on the barrel or anything like that, but I suspect is is probably pretty solid because it does not feel too lively (which I would expect if it was loose).

That's interesting.  I suppose I have been very lucky with what I have.  A buckling spring board should feel relatively consistent.  There is one exception.  The M13.  That one feels "tighter" than all the other ones.  I think that is an accurate description of it.  The spacebar of the M13 drove me INSANE.  I broke down and ordered a new black spacebar for it from Unicomp.  The new one feels and sounds right.  Odd.

Maybe there is some issue with that keyboard you have.  I really couldn't tell you without actually using it myself!

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #12 on: Tue, 24 February 2015, 03:57:14 »
If you shake the keyboard gently, can you hear little plastic things rattling loosely around inside?

If so, probably rivets.  Start thinking bolt mod.

If/when you do open it, make sure you catch any rivets that fall out.  More than a dozen or two, you'll almost certainly need a bolt mod.

One of my Model Ms lost at least a dozen rivets.  One side of the board feels tight and crisp, the other wise feels loose and clunky.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #13 on: Tue, 24 February 2015, 06:41:20 »

That's interesting.  I suppose I have been very lucky with what I have.  A buckling spring board should feel relatively consistent.  There is one exception.  The M13.  That one feels "tighter" than all the other ones.  I think that is an accurate description of it.  The spacebar of the M13 drove me INSANE.  I broke down and ordered a new black spacebar for it from Unicomp.  The new one feels and sounds right.  Odd.

Maybe there is some issue with that keyboard you have.  I really couldn't tell you without actually using it myself!
I don't think there is anything 'wrong' with it. I am just being super picky. :)  just trying to get the best experience I can from it and understand what the contributing factors could be since this is all new to me. :)

Offline nubbinator

• Dabbler Supreme
  • * Maker
  • Model M "connoisseur"
« Reply #14 on: Tue, 24 February 2015, 11:04:36 »
If you shake the keyboard gently, can you hear little plastic things rattling loosely around inside?

If so, probably rivets.  Start thinking bolt mod.

If/when you do open it, make sure you catch any rivets that fall out.  More than a dozen or two, you'll almost certainly need a bolt mod.

One of my Model Ms lost at least a dozen rivets.  One side of the board feels tight and crisp, the other wise feels loose and clunky.

No rivets were popped when I opened it to dye it.  Unless some popped during shipping, it shouldn't be an issue.  A bolt mod might still make it tighter though.

Offline fohat.digs

• * Elevated Elder
  • weird funny old guy
« Reply #15 on: Tue, 24 February 2015, 11:19:29 »
I tried sourcing some of the preferred floss for a floss mod for myself locally.  I guess the preferred stuff is Oral B Super Floss.

A box is $5 at Walgreens or almost any drug store and has enough to do several keyboards.

Offline Snowdog993

• Grace Under Pressure
  • Justifiably Clueless.
« Reply #16 on: Tue, 24 February 2015, 11:25:26 »
I don't think there is anything 'wrong' with it. I am just being super picky.
Maybe that's all there is to it.  Some of us actually thought you had a serious issue with it.  It could be that you are just not used to a buckling spring keyboard.  They are very different.  They definitely don't feel like a rubberdome keyboard.  If you compare it to an IBM 92-M6 rubberdome keyboard, it's like night and day.  However, if you like the feeling of the 92-M6 more than a buckling spring keyboard, then I suppose it's not the kind of switch for you.

Offline E TwentyNine

• Some of My Keyboards
« Reply #17 on: Tue, 24 February 2015, 12:22:24 »
I've never lubed a Model M board.  I'd be worried about the aftermath if the lube gathered dirt/dust.

An easy step is putting the keyboard on a towel or something similar (couple of mouse mats).  Can deaden the sound.
Daily driver: SSK or Tenkeyless IBM AT
1984 Model M Industrial Prototype ⌨ 1992 Black Oval Industrial SSK ⌨ 1982 5251 Beam Spring ⌨ 89 Key "SSK" ⌨ M13 triplets

Offline 0100010

• Not Sure
« Reply #18 on: Tue, 24 February 2015, 12:29:05 »
I've never lubed a Model M board.  I'd be worried about the aftermath if the lube gathered dirt/dust.

An easy step is putting the keyboard on a towel or something similar (couple of mouse mats).  Can deaden the sound.

This.  No way would I lube a Model M, would be too worried about dust and grit collecting into the stem and the lube migrating to the membranes and  rendering it useless.
  Quoting me causes a posting error that you need to ignore.

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #19 on: Tue, 24 February 2015, 12:36:53 »
I tried sourcing some of the preferred floss for a floss mod for myself locally.  I guess the preferred stuff is Oral B Super Floss.

A box is $5 at Walgreens or almost any drug store and has enough to do several keyboards.

None at any drug or department store in town.
OG Kishsaver, Razer Orbweaver clears and reds with blue LEDs, and Razer Naga Epic.   "Great minds crawl in the same sewer"  Uncle Rich

Offline Snowdog993

• Grace Under Pressure
  • Justifiably Clueless.
« Reply #20 on: Tue, 24 February 2015, 12:40:42 »

This.  No way would I lube a Model M, would be too worried about dust and grit collecting into the stem and the lube migrating to the membranes and  rendering it useless.

I agree with both of you.  I would never lube any model M keyboard.  Bad idea.  It's just wrong.

Offline JPG

• Model F is my new passion!
« Reply #21 on: Tue, 24 February 2015, 12:51:31 »

That's what I used for my model F. Works perfectly. It's like 5-7$ if I remember correctly (at Jean Coutu) and I have been able to do 3 keyboards up to now and I can still make many more I suppose, so the cost should not be a real factor at 1-2$ per keyboard.

I didn't lube any of my BS keyboards (all model F). They all feel super nice, yet they all feel slightly different one from another. It suppose it's this way because they had different usage/wear and also because they are not all the same model (2 XT, 1 AT and 1 F122). As for the feel, my favorite is the F122, but it was in such a good condition and all wrapped when I got it that I suspect it was a "backup" that never seen much use at all, which could explain why it feels just perfect to type on. But my AT F is quite close and it's the one I use at job since the F122 is just WAY too large to use if you need to type and use the mouse most of the time.

As for lubing, if I remember, I have not seen so great success from it for the BS switch. Pretty sure someone killed at least one keyboard for overlubing it.

So stick with the floss mod and try the model F to skip directly to you next best keyboard :p
IBM F122, IBM XT F X2, IBM AT F (all Soarer converted), Filco Camo TKL Browns

Offline swill

• * Elevated Elder
  • builder & enabler
    • swillkb.com
« Reply #22 on: Tue, 24 February 2015, 21:12:01 »
Thanks for the tips guys. I think part of my issue is that I am most comfortable on light and smooth switches, so my first reaction to the key action was that it was a bit harsh. After using it a bunch I am getting more used to it. The spring sound doesn't really bother me anymore, it is actually growing on me a bit. Makes me feel like I am using something vintage. :D

I will just keep using it as is for a while and see if there is any specific keys I need to investigate. There is one key that I have noticed to feel a bit grittier than the others when I am typing fast. Its n or c, I can't remember, but I know its down under my home row. When I am typing quickly I notice that I make mistakes with it periodically. I am on my phone, so I can't check right now.

Offline Touch_It

« Reply #23 on: Tue, 24 February 2015, 23:18:46 »
Reseating the keycap would probably fix that.    I know bs keys are pretty heavy but for whatever reason they feel really light.  Like more along the lines of Mx blue switches and certainly way lighter than space invaders.  Maybe I'm crazy lol.  I do think though that you should at least try a model f at some point in time.  The feel and sound are sublime.

Visit the Typing Test and try!

Offline Melvang

• * Maker
« Reply #24 on: Fri, 27 February 2015, 00:37:16 »
Just wanted to post my clip here

The first video is all before the floss mod using cores from paracord.  I did it in two separate clips as I didn't feel like editing.  I took the first clip, did the mod, did the second clip in one sitting.  Link for the second clip is in the description of the first clip.