Author Topic: Emacs!  (Read 5373 times)

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
Emacs!
« on: Thu, 23 August 2007, 03:02:29 »
I am just starting to learn Emacs, and I want to learn how to code, but I don't even know where to start.

Offline iMav

• geekhack creator/founder
  • "Τα εργαλεία σας είναι σημαντικά."
Re: Emacs!
« Reply #1 on: Thu, 23 August 2007, 05:55:29 »
Quote from: xsphat
I am just starting to learn Emacs, and I want to learn how to code, but I don't even know where to start.

I've always been a vi guy myself...although becoming proficient with emacs has always been on my list of things to do.

Do you have a specific goal/project/etc in mind that is driving your yearning to code?  Python seems to be universally heralded as a great beginners language that you won't grow out of.

Offline xsphat

• Enlightened
    • Dan Newman, Writer
Emacs!
« Reply #2 on: Thu, 23 August 2007, 14:18:31 »
Thanks for the tip on Python, I'm going to look into it. I chose Emacs because it uses Unix shortcuts which are already hidden in Mac OS X.  

The reason I wan to learn coding is because it's the next step for me. Everyone calls me with Mac questions, and at work I am thought of as the Mac guru, and that's all we have - I work at a newspaper. So I know how to customize and finesse the OS, but I have no idea what happens underneath. I don't have any particular project in mind, but I have always wanted to write my own editor, my way.

I am fascinated by GUI. I am into workability, ergonomics and the overall design. It may be a field that I want to get into, but I have to take another year of math before I can get into computer science classes. I am a writer, but I have trouble with math.
[/youtube]