Author Topic: URGENT: Bluescreen into slow welcome screen and explorer.exe not working  (Read 4001 times)

Offline Naweo

Hello everyone.

I have never experienced this problem before, but to make things easier, I think I can narrow the problem.

I recently upgraded my asus X99 motherboard with 64 GB of ram, 4x sticks of 16 gb corsair vengeance LPX sticks. It has worked just fine.

However, I overclocked them to 2666 and has had occassional blue screen of deaths.

But now, suddenly, I had a bluescreen of death, and now windows is unwilling to login, or its too slow, and when it does, i have a black-screen. Task manager shows no programs running, and I can not open explorer.exe in there.

However, safe-mode works just fine.

I ran a sfc scan, no problems.

I am suspecting either ram, a driver, og my overclock caused this issue. But I already reset all of my settings to default in my bios.

What else can I do?

Windows 7
Asus X99-pro
5390k CPU
2x SLI 980 MSI geforce GPU
750 watt PSU.

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
Re: URGENT: Bluescreen into slow welcome screen and explorer.exe not working
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 03 December 2019, 14:49:16 »
Who makes your PSU?
My wife I a also push her button . But now she have her button push by a different men. So I buy a keyboard a mechanicale, she a reliable like a Fiat.

Offline Naweo

« Reply #2 on: Tue, 03 December 2019, 15:01:14 »
Corsair

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 03 December 2019, 15:12:42 »
Run memtest.
My wife I a also push her button . But now she have her button push by a different men. So I buy a keyboard a mechanicale, she a reliable like a Fiat.

Offline Naweo

« Reply #4 on: Tue, 03 December 2019, 15:13:28 »
memtest86?

Thanks

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 03 December 2019, 16:25:42 »
Yes. It is a go-to for a long time. Hopefully it is just a bad stick.

Offline Naweo

« Reply #6 on: Tue, 03 December 2019, 18:39:52 »
Memtest was ok. Any other suggestions?

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #7 on: Tue, 03 December 2019, 20:34:34 »
It's almost 100%  driver related if safemode works, though it could still be a hardware failure in progress (drive, gpu, power supply, motherboard).

By the way, NEVER, EVER do an sfc scan or any drive scan without checking S.M.A.R.T. first.
Do a SMART check and if you find ANY uncorrectable sectors or reallocated sectors, start backing up because the drive is failing. Do not pass go do not think it can wait. The drive may last years or 15 minutes but it is failing if these turn up. Doing a scan when there are bad sectors can cause a cascade failure and completely destroy all the data. Every bit, to the point even data phorensics will have trouble getting anything useful from it.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline JP

« Reply #8 on: Tue, 03 December 2019, 20:38:42 »
I'd say back up all your files and do a os repair or clean install.
About Me | The Collection
Therapy is expensive so I buy keyboards and bike parts.

Offline Naweo

« Reply #9 on: Wed, 04 December 2019, 04:19:18 »
I do a backup every year, so will just have to do it 2 weeks before usual. I assume I can do this from safemode too.

It just seems so oddly coincidental taht I upgrade my memory, I start getting bluescreens every other day, and suddenly I get this issue.

I am on windows 7, and they will stop supporting it with system updates in january. I may have to bow down and upgrade to windows 10 now.

Offline Naweo

« Reply #10 on: Wed, 04 December 2019, 05:19:03 »
I'd say back up all your files and do a os repair or clean install.

My SSD from which windows is installed, it says 82% good.

My old HHD which I use for file says caution.

Is this useful?

Offline suicidal_orange

• * Global Moderator
« Reply #11 on: Wed, 04 December 2019, 05:32:55 »
It's the Uncorrectable Sectors and Reallocated Sectors you need to worry about, these show damage and impending doom (according to leslieann)

You could unplug the data drive and see if that fixes the problem as 'caution' doesn't sound good.  Spinning drives don't like being turned off while busy and bluescreens are effectively the same.
120/100g linear Zealio R1  
GMK Hyperfuse
'Split everything' perfection  
MX Clear
SA Hack'd by Geeks     
EasyAVR mod

Offline yui

« Reply #12 on: Wed, 04 December 2019, 05:46:25 »
with drives in those states i would try to run backups more often, but i do agree that reading the posts i would also expect that a driver or low level program(like AV or those kind of things) to be the cause of your problems.
Or maybe (unlikely but then nothing in what you said exclude it completely) it might be power related, your power supply may be crashing down because of a bad cap or something at higher loads and it could cause bsod, you could try unplugging your gpu(most likely the biggest "optional" power hog) and see if your pc goes back to "normal", if it does it will be that either your psu or graphics drivers are bad, if it does not keep on trying other things.
vi vi vi - the roman number of the beast (Plan9 fortune)

Offline absyrd

• CPT HYPE PADAWAN
« Reply #13 on: Wed, 04 December 2019, 05:52:59 »
I do a backup every year, so will just have to do it 2 weeks before usual. I assume I can do this from safemode too.

It just seems so oddly coincidental taht I upgrade my memory, I start getting bluescreens every other day, and suddenly I get this issue.

I am on windows 7, and they will stop supporting it with system updates in january. I may have to bow down and upgrade to windows 10 now.

Your chipset driver updated? Mobo bios? If you added memory, this could cause issues.

Offline Naweo

« Reply #14 on: Wed, 04 December 2019, 05:53:57 »
It's the Uncorrectable Sectors and Reallocated Sectors you need to worry about, these show damage and impending doom (according to leslieann)

You could unplug the data drive and see if that fixes the problem as 'caution' doesn't sound good.  Spinning drives don't like being turned off while busy and bluescreens are effectively the same.

I assume my HHD has nothing to do with my windows intallation disk which is my SSD, which says all areas are in good condition.

My HDD, however, sounds like it needs a backup and I should get and install a new HDD instead. But would my current HDD really cause these problems, if my SSD has the windows installation?

And yes, the HDD is the reallocated sector that is damaged.

Offline Naweo

« Reply #15 on: Wed, 04 December 2019, 05:56:10 »
with drives in those states i would try to run backups more often, but i do agree that reading the posts i would also expect that a driver or low level program(like AV or those kind of things) to be the cause of your problems.
Or maybe (unlikely but then nothing in what you said exclude it completely) it might be power related, your power supply may be crashing down because of a bad cap or something at higher loads and it could cause bsod, you could try unplugging your gpu(most likely the biggest "optional" power hog) and see if your pc goes back to "normal", if it does it will be that either your psu or graphics drivers are bad, if it does not keep on trying other things.

Your chipset driver updated? Mobo bios? If you added memory, this could cause issues.

Not sure what you mean by chipset driver, but I updated my bios driver to newest when I installed new memory, three weeks ago. Largely no issues, but a few blue screens that I am currently thinking were due to frequecny overclock, as the sticks are running 2133 mhz when 2666 should be no problem.

I did not do any new driver updates or installations of programs that I recall. I literally had a functioning PC, then I went to the gym for two hours, then I came back, saw the blue screen, reset my PC BIOS to default, and now I have this explorer.exe issue.

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
  • OmniExpert of: Rice, Top-Ramen, Ergodox, n Females
« Reply #16 on: Wed, 04 December 2019, 07:04:44 »
Unstable OC can lead to drive corruption.  Always save a backup image to be keep it convenient.

Offline Naweo

« Reply #17 on: Wed, 04 December 2019, 07:11:12 »
Unstable OC can lead to drive corruption.  Always save a backup image to be keep it convenient.

Do you recommend a clean re-install, or an attempt to perform a OS repair?

Would it be possible to buy and upgrade to windows 10, and keep my data, while that installation fixes corrupted files?

Or if the actual drive is corrupted, would I need a new SSD and/or HDD to fix the issue?
« Last Edit: Wed, 04 December 2019, 07:17:43 by Naweo »

Offline yui

« Reply #18 on: Wed, 04 December 2019, 08:34:40 »
well a clean install is almost always the best option, especially with windows,
and when you upgrade do a backup of your file, a lot of issue can arise during the upgrade and peoples loosing all of their data is not that uncommon of a sight.

if your drive is corrupted because of sudden windows crashes it is only a software problem and your drive should not have suffered damage, if the data is corrupted because of an hardware failure of the disk, well your disk is failing.

by the way there is a disk checker utility built into windows since the dawn of windows time , it goes by the sweet name of CHKDSK and will try to correct software data corruption

Offline Naweo

« Reply #19 on: Wed, 04 December 2019, 08:43:32 »

Hey yui. I tried the crystal state disk check, the disk/properties.  my SSD (with windows installation on) runs without fault.

Will attempt the CHSDSK now. If that does not work, then I will try to upgrade to windows 10, as I planned to do anyway, as windows 7 will be discontinued.

I am using macrium reflect to backup my SSD, but I have issues with creating an image. I get an error, "failed to create volume snapshot"
« Last Edit: Wed, 04 December 2019, 08:45:07 by Naweo »

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #20 on: Wed, 04 December 2019, 09:25:13 »

Do you recommend a clean re-install, or an attempt to perform a OS repair?

Would it be possible to buy and upgrade to windows 10, and keep my data, while that installation fixes corrupted files?

Or if the actual drive is corrupted, would I need a new SSD and/or HDD to fix the issue?

The drive should be fine.

Reformat and install all your common appliations WITHOUT the overclock.

Then after you got it setup the way you like it,  Use macrium reflect and image the drive onto a separate disk.

Finally, begin your overclock, and check avx offsets.

Offline yui

« Reply #21 on: Wed, 04 December 2019, 10:09:15 »

Hey yui. I tried the crystal state disk check, the disk/properties.  my SSD (with windows installation on) runs without fault.

Will attempt the CHSDSK now. If that does not work, then I will try to upgrade to windows 10, as I planned to do anyway, as windows 7 will be discontinued.

I am using macrium reflect to backup my SSD, but I have issues with creating an image. I get an error, "failed to create volume snapshot"

I actually never used macrium reflect, i usually used dd (if it is a linux box) and CloneZilla (for everything else) to make disk images. and if your ssd do not report any defects on smart there is very little chances that it is it that is causing you bsod. And i am not that good with windows filesystems, shadowcopy and all of that.

Overall the most probable cause of all your trouble is too high of an overclock and one too many sudden crash on a ntfs filesystem (microsoft really ought to switch to something more modern) so reinstall (or a win10 install) will most likely fix all your problems, i am not sure about upgrade as if it is a windows file it would likely get replaced anyway but if it is a driver that got corrupted it may continue to fail, same for windows 7 repair.

Offline Naweo

« Reply #22 on: Wed, 04 December 2019, 11:32:56 »
tp4tissue

I really appreciate all the time you spend helping people in here, and me especially.

I am commencing with this process and will update.

As the PC in question I use only are used for work, primarily finance and stock markets, I assume the extra memory OC wont really benefit me. I had a capacity issue a few weeks back, but I sit easily with 20-30 gb of extra free ram at the moment. Not sure extra frequency will help or prevent further irritations.

Is there a way to open volume shadow copy in safe mode, or is there any other way I can backup my files without volume shadow copy and/or in safe mode?
« Last Edit: Wed, 04 December 2019, 12:41:04 by Naweo »

Offline tp4tissue

• * Destiny Supporter
« Reply #23 on: Wed, 04 December 2019, 14:03:35 »
Anytime you guys do  IMPORTANT STUFF..  Be very feather-hand with Overclocking.

Who knows if 1 tick too many, and the software moves a decimal place, that could be thousands of bowls of financial Ramen gone poof.

It's sometimes a good idea to build a separate trade station just for your entries, does not need to be ultra fast machine.

This is so you don't mix your research n stats station, which could be vulnerable as it's always pointing webwards.

Offline Naweo

« Reply #24 on: Wed, 04 December 2019, 14:59:06 »
Indeed, I actually have a second station for entries thats tunneled through a vpn 24/7.

I do not know if the software I use, input director, will be a vulnerable gateway. Still, still seems like a better/safer choice.

Offline Leslieann

• * Elevated Elder
« Reply #25 on: Wed, 04 December 2019, 17:27:32 »
A year?
On Win7 it's recommended you do a fresh reinstall yearly and updates way more than that (especially in this age with ransomware!)
Backups should be done as often as you feel you need.

My SSD from which windows is installed, it says 82% good.

My old HHD which I use for file says caution.
For some reason I assumed you only had a spinner.

SSD's need wear checks, they don't have sectors like a spinner. Yours says 82%, which means you've used 20% of it's lifespan, that's pretty heavy use, but unless it stars dropping I wouldn't worry just yet. If I remember right, this is based on the number of writes and wear leveling, so long as you have full capacity it should be okay. Reallocated sectors aren't the same as on a spinner as they aren't mechanical so if one gets worn out completely it won't lead to a cascade failure. I don't think they ever need scanning for bad sectors either, any scanning shortens the lifespan.

The spinner saying caution can be an issue depending on why.
Some S.M.A.R.T. readers have HORRIBLE layouts. I've seen them throw a warning simply because of age, imagine your check engine light coming on just to tell you that your car was old. Beware crappy interfaces  too, I condemned a few drives thinking they were failing because it said "CAUTION AGE" and yet it was just the way they labelled it in the software was done poorly. It looked like they were failing due to age when it was just their way over amplifying the warning.

Spinners are like a car, they are more likely to have issues as they age (75% are dead after 4 years) but it may also still run completely fine for decades, age is important but it's only one factor.

As for the clocks, a bad memory overclock would likely turn up an error in memtest I would think.
There has been instances where a bad overclock that looked stable corrupted drive data though. I've seen it happen at least twice and while it was usually a driver issue that was later fixed the users still lost data. Unfortunately I don't remember if the error showed up in memtest.

Systems seam more safe and protected than ever but we also keep more and more of our lives on our computers, I've reached a point where I try not to do anything without a fresh backup because one oops and smoke goes flying.  Trust nothing.
Novelkeys NK65AE w/62g Zilents/39g springs
More
62g Zilents/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, pic
| Filco MJ2 L.E. Vortex Case, Jailhouse Blues, heavily customized
More
Vortex case squared up/blasted finish removed/custom feet/paint/winkey blockoff plate, HID Liberator, stainless steel universal plate, 3d printed adapters, Type C, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, foam sound dampened, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps (o-ringed), Cherry Jailhouse Blues w/lubed/clipped Cherry light springs, 40g actuation
| GMMK TKL
More
w/ Kailh Purple Pros/lubed/Novelkeys 39g springs, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, Netdot Gen10 Magnetic cable
| PF65 3d printed 65% w/LCD and hot swap
More
Box Jades, Interchangeable trim, mini lcd, QMK, underglow, HK Gaming Thick PBT caps, O-rings, Netdot Gen10 magnetic cable, in progress link
| Magicforce 68
More
MF68 pcb, Outemu Blues, in progress
| YMDK75 Jail Housed Gateron Blues
More
J-spacers, YMDK Thick PBT, O-rings, SIP sockets
| KBT Race S L.E.
More
Ergo Clears, custom WASD caps
| Das Pro
More
Costar model with browns
| GH60
More
Cherry Blacks, custom 3d printed case
| Logitech Illumininated | IBM Model M (x2)
Definitive Omron Guide. | 3d printed Keyboard FAQ/Discussion

Offline Naweo

« Reply #26 on: Wed, 04 December 2019, 18:42:53 »
I am on a clean windows 10 install now I just got.

as to avoid making another thread, I had some encrypted files for some reasons that I now cant open. "access is denied". I tried taking control with administrator, but it seems these files are encrypted from the previous partition / operating system.

Any way I can get access back?