Author Topic: Gaming mousepads!  (Read 285615 times)

Offline J0hn

Re: Gaming mousepads!
« Reply #750 on: Sat, 08 November 2014, 00:38:33 »
I'm thinking about buying either an artisan shiden mid or shidenkai mid, I had a 9HD before I recently purchased a func surface 10L which I actually really like (a really smooth surface compared to the 9HD).

But I want to try an artisan pad too, so if anyone knows, should I get a shiden mid or a shidenkai mid if I want something with better glide than the 9hd?

Offline munch

• !
« Reply #751 on: Sat, 08 November 2014, 00:40:16 »
better being faster? shidenkai then. really fast. great pad.

Offline Bucake

« Reply #752 on: Mon, 10 November 2014, 17:23:34 »
i am using the heaton qpad, and i absolutely love it.

i started with the 9HD, which i really liked, but it was simply too small for me and thus i needed something bigger.
the only huge hardpad i could find was the heaton qpad, but was out of stock everywhere.
so, unfortunately for me, i had no choice but to start using cloth.
i've never really liked the feel of cloth, relative to hard-pads.

sooo i got this heaton qpad as a gift a week ago, and i'm sure that i won't have to look for another mousepad until this one is totally worn out.

but i do think it's a shame that there were never any huge icemats, though :)
IBM Model F XT // Realforce 87U 55g Type-S // HHKBP2 45g Type-S // KBT Pure Pro Cherry MX Red

Offline whitefang

« Reply #753 on: Sat, 13 December 2014, 20:16:02 »
I have a problem. I have an urge to collect a whole ton of mouse pads until I find the perfect pad. I used a SteelSeries SX for about 3 years and just recently started trying cloth pads. I liked the Roccat Sense that came with my KPM package but its a little thin. My XTrac Pad Hybrid arrived a few days ago and the tracking on it with my KPM cuts out on certain parts of the pad. The precision of the pad is amazing but its super frustrating having a very small gap in the tracking every once in a while. If I go back and forth over the same spot the gap is still there. I've tried recalibrating the DCU several times and the problem stays. Anyways I found a Razer Goiathus Speed (medium) on sale at a local shop for $12 so I grabbed that. So far I like the Goliathus but Enotus is showing considerably lower precision on it than either of the other cloth pads I have. The Goliathus is the 2014 edition with the massive hideous Razer logo on it so I'm wondering if that graphic is causing precision issues since different parts of the pad show different precision levels.

The pads I still want to get to try are the Roccat Hiro, Artisan Hayate (soft), and maybe PureTrak Talent since I've seen a lot of good things said about it doesn't cost too much. Any thoughts?

Edit: I have ordered a PureTrak talent since its the cheapest on my list (at 16USD from PureTrak) to be added to my collection I just started. This is going to get out of hand fast I think. At least its not mechanical keyboards right?
« Last Edit: Sun, 14 December 2014, 15:30:38 by whitefang »

Offline LinkPro

« Reply #754 on: Sun, 14 December 2014, 19:58:53 »
^ It's amazing that you managed to switched to cloth after using aluminum. I had an SX for 2 years as well, replaced it with a Manticor and was quite happy. Not as fast as the SX in its prime but still faster than most cloth pads out there. I'm old and slow so I need something to compensate for that.

Still, finding a decent pad shouldn't be that hard. The Talent has pretty good feedback.

Offline MGH

• Lost in translation with a whole ****in' nation
« Reply #755 on: Sun, 14 December 2014, 20:28:25 »
You can never go wrong with a qck+. But I'm eyeing artisan pads. Too bad most of them arent as big as the qck+

Offline whitefang

« Reply #756 on: Mon, 15 December 2014, 00:03:30 »
^ It's amazing that you managed to switched to cloth after using aluminum. I had an SX for 2 years as well, replaced it with a Manticor and was quite happy. Not as fast as the SX in its prime but still faster than most cloth pads out there. I'm old and slow so I need something to compensate for that.

Still, finding a decent pad shouldn't be that hard. The Talent has pretty good feedback.

I lost the cloth that was soaked in the lubricant that the SX was supposed to be treated with so I'm guess I slowly got used to less glide over time. I like the initial drag on pads, not sure how to explain it. The XTrac Hybrid has a nice feeling where its just slightly "stuck" in place until its moved and then its super smooth. Drag? Anyway, I really like that feeling from cloth pads. The Razor Goliathus doesn't seem to have any of it unfortunately. Really with the KPM tracked properly on the XTrac Hybrid.

Offline whitefang

« Reply #757 on: Wed, 24 December 2014, 03:29:26 »
Alright, I just ordered a Roccat Hiro on sale for $30 CAD. That only leaves two more pads on my wishlist: Artisan Hayate, and QPad CT. I should maybe get a QcK Heavy some time just to have for comparison.

Offline munch

• !
« Reply #758 on: Wed, 24 December 2014, 08:23:15 »
I'd skip the Qpad CT... stickiest feeling pad ever. super high static friction, and almost no dynamic friction :(

Offline dimmu

« Reply #759 on: Wed, 24 December 2014, 09:29:49 »
i'm still using a world of warcraft burning crusade mousepad that came with the collector's edition box 8 years ago. been wanting to replace it but never had a reason to.

Offline whitefang

« Reply #760 on: Thu, 25 December 2014, 01:33:24 »
I'd skip the Qpad CT... stickiest feeling pad ever. super high static friction, and almost no dynamic friction :(

OK, thanks for the heads up. I do like a small amount of static friction. Just enough that there has to be intention behind the movement. Will probably grab an Allsop Raindrop XL since it sounds like its a classic that is a good benchmark for all other cloth pads.

Offline awts

« Reply #761 on: Thu, 25 December 2014, 08:38:39 »
I got my first Artisan mouse pad, the Hayate Soft M, a few days ago and by far it's the best performing (& looking) mouse pad I have ever used for FPS gaming. It's very hard to explain. The texture feels like a hybrid of a cloth and hard plastic surface with dense mid soft sponge. It glides as easily as it stops which is pretty amazing, excellent control for sniping and flick shots.

In fact, I liked it so much that I ordered two more, one M and the other L. I will grade these highly and easily recommend them.
Mouse tested which are the Deathadder Chroma and Zowie FK2.

Offline dante

« Reply #762 on: Thu, 25 December 2014, 14:18:47 »
How does the Artisian Hayate compare to the Ducky OMG pad that MechanicalKeyboards.com sells?

Offline munch

• !
« Reply #763 on: Sat, 27 December 2014, 11:47:50 »
ducky OMG pad is hard plastic, hayate is a soft type of fabric mix I think.
they will most likely feel very different, but I haven't tried the Ducky pad so I can't say anything else than that :p sorry!

Offline whitefang

« Reply #764 on: Tue, 30 December 2014, 01:59:02 »
Just got my Roccat Hiro today. Its so much faster than I expected. Mouse glides better than it ever did on my Steelseries SX. The surface is really consistent and completely silent. Digging it so far.

Offline pro_LAPSE

• However, rays of nuclear!
« Reply #765 on: Sat, 10 January 2015, 20:15:04 »
many people really hate the style, and everything that razer stands for. I am just like those people. I truly dislike razer stuff and I don't like the way they present their "gamer gear." But there is nothing better than the material used in their "speed" mousepad goliathus. It is a square that is 1foot 3(+ or - a little) in each direction, and is a superior surface for playing games such as Counter Strike. Especially if you take it somewhat seriously. Paired with an FK1 mouse, it is amazing.
chopstick cruelty bleeds Aritzia creme.

Offline Lord of Narwhals

• You can call me NaLo
    • A selection of posts chosen with care, prior to remembering your indifference to them.
« Reply #766 on: Sat, 24 January 2015, 16:32:44 »
I got the mouse pad that "broke common sense of past products" (aka the Artisan Hayate) a few months ago.

It's really good (and it should be considering the price). The build quality is great and even though it's a soft mouse pad it sort of feels like a hard one.
In the end.. the keyboard's most grand form of existence is as an ethereal bridge between man and machine..    Each depression of the keys, evanescent.. Our transitory thoughts crashing into the web, carving canyons through the internet wasteland such that life may once again flourish..
HHKB Pro 2 Poker II [MX Red]

Offline elitemav

« Reply #767 on: Sat, 24 January 2015, 20:10:40 »
many people really hate the style, and everything that razer stands for. I am just like those people. I truly dislike razer stuff and I don't like the way they present their "gamer gear." But there is nothing better than the material used in their "speed" mousepad goliathus. It is a square that is 1foot 3(+ or - a little) in each direction, and is a superior surface for playing games such as Counter Strike. Especially if you take it somewhat seriously. Paired with an FK1 mouse, it is amazing.

I just switched to a Goliathus speed edition large pad for my Zowie EC1 Evo and I gotta say I am loving it and I usually don't like razers stuff but this pad is so win. I like it better than my func 1030xl and even better than my Steelseries qck+ it really is an awesome pad and glides almost like a hard pad without premature wear on your feet.

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #768 on: Sat, 24 January 2015, 20:45:29 »
The build quality is great and even though it's a soft mouse pad it sort of feels like a hard one.

YES, Artizan Pads are really good quality compared to most being sold out there  :thumb: .  Current fave, the Dark Blue Hien, which is brilliant for ALL optical rodents.

Offline Lain1911

• God of the Wired
« Reply #769 on: Sat, 24 January 2015, 22:00:14 »
How are these? I don't know much about them, thanks.
http://www.pcgamingrace.com/collections/extended-mouse-mats

Offline 7Teku

« Reply #770 on: Sun, 25 January 2015, 11:35:30 »
How are these? I don't know much about them, thanks.
http://www.pcgamingrace.com/collections/extended-mouse-mats
I have the 18x16" 6mm pad and it is the best I've used. It's better than the QCK, Talent, Artisan pads by a long shot.

Offline minh278

• In life we will only fall, How far will we fall?
« Reply #771 on: Mon, 26 January 2015, 23:11:33 »
The best mousepad i got was a large deskpad (picture of akame ga kill) for $20 from some chinese ebay seller. It was sketch but i was impressed when i got it and it works quite well. The only downside is it smelled like someone had eaten some shrimp based product while making it(i used alot of air freshener on it, to get rid of the smell). If anyone is interested i can link the ebay seller.
Keyboards:  Final Fantasy XI XIth Anniversary keyboard (topre 45g) | Realforce Rgb (topre 45g, Eva Noctilucous keyset) | Mionix Zibal 60 (mx black, Vortex doubleshot) | Greymark (white alps) | IBM model M (found in the trash!)

Offline Lain1911

• God of the Wired
« Reply #772 on: Tue, 27 January 2015, 23:03:26 »
The best mousepad i got was a large deskpad (picture of akame ga kill) for $20 from some chinese ebay seller. It was sketch but i was impressed when i got it and it works quite well. The only downside is it smelled like someone had eaten some shrimp based product while making it(i used alot of air freshener on it, to get rid of the smell). If anyone is interested i can link the ebay seller.

Picture?

Offline Bucake

« Reply #773 on: Thu, 29 January 2015, 00:53:58 »
whoever has owned an aluminium pad: what's your opinion? do you like them for gaming?

and has anyone tried the alugraphics gamerPRO, specifically?
because i'm considering getting the XXL version..
IBM Model F XT // Realforce 87U 55g Type-S // HHKBP2 45g Type-S // KBT Pure Pro Cherry MX Red

Offline jabbon

« Reply #774 on: Thu, 29 January 2015, 00:56:12 »

do not really agree with you.

Having use the Qck+, allshop, func, Steelseries 4D & 4H, Everglide Titan and many others, I love my Qpad CT that I have been using for two years. I still love it and probably once its time to change it I will get a new one again.

Offline Frenir

• HHKB Viking
« Reply #775 on: Thu, 29 January 2015, 00:59:23 »
whoever has owned an aluminium pad: what's your opinion? do you like them for gaming?

My brother has one of these, from what I've heard they're in general fairly good - but can become almost unbearable in winter months so think twice about it if you live a cold country.

Offline Bucake

« Reply #776 on: Thu, 29 January 2015, 07:30:51 »

My brother has one of these, from what I've heard they're in general fairly good - but can become almost unbearable in winter months so think twice about it if you live a cold country.

hey man, thanks for your reply!
do you happen to know if the mousepad works well with an optical sensor? :)

Offline Frenir

• HHKB Viking
« Reply #777 on: Thu, 29 January 2015, 08:19:27 »

:)
No idea, sorry

Offline 7Teku

« Reply #778 on: Thu, 29 January 2015, 11:57:16 »

Optical sensors track horribly on anything not cloth.

Offline Lord of Narwhals

• You can call me NaLo
    • A selection of posts chosen with care, prior to remembering your indifference to them.
« Reply #779 on: Thu, 29 January 2015, 12:55:18 »

My Mionix Naos 7000 tracks great on my old Qpad hardtop mouse pad. It doesn't track at all on my wooden table though.
In the end.. the keyboard's most grand form of existence is as an ethereal bridge between man and machine..    Each depression of the keys, evanescent.. Our transitory thoughts crashing into the web, carving canyons through the internet wasteland such that life may once again flourish..
HHKB Pro 2 Poker II [MX Red]

Offline whitefang

« Reply #780 on: Fri, 30 January 2015, 03:47:41 »

RPM tracks great on the Hiro (silicone).

Offline Bucake

« Reply #781 on: Sat, 31 January 2015, 10:28:36 »

:)
No idea, sorry

alright :D thanks again for the reply.
i went ahead and ordered it, shouldn't be too long before it gets here :j
an expensive mofo, though! but i didn't feel like i had much of a choice; i play games with a relatively low sensitivity and smaller pads do not cut it.

can't wait! :j

Offline Elrick

• Hype Master
  • Keyboard Orgasmist
« Reply #782 on: Sat, 31 January 2015, 21:25:23 »

Another person having to use the Hiro, damn fine pad able to take any type of abuse with extreme ease plus no difference in quality and usage even under extreme temperatures  :thumb: .

Offline 7Teku

« Reply #783 on: Sun, 01 February 2015, 15:22:00 »
I mean I guess that's fine, if you like mediocre performance.

Offline epzy

• HHKB Fiend
  • ded
« Reply #784 on: Sun, 01 February 2015, 15:58:44 »
so I tried switching from artisan hayate soft to the artisan zero soft, but there's just no way I'll be using the zero over the hayate... the hayate just feels more "right" :P I only wanted to test out the zero soft because I've used many QCK's in the past.

though, for someone who doesn't want to move away from a QCK-ish type of mousepad, the zero soft is definitely something to consider if you prefer the looks of the zero and want something higher quality
« Last Edit: Sun, 01 February 2015, 16:04:06 by epzy »
FaceW ~ Duck Viper ~ Kishsaver ~ HHKB Pro 2 Cherry G81-3000SAU ~ Filco Majestouch 2 ~ GON NS NerD 60 HHKB ~ 360 Corsa (jk skam) ~ KMAC Happy (jk skam) ~ JD40 (jk skam)

Offline munch

• !
« Reply #785 on: Sun, 01 February 2015, 21:49:18 »

a bit late for this but I have a Slamepad from ModMyMachine (german casemodders). it's one of my favourite pads to use, a little too small for me but really love the feel.
there's one thing that's not so great about it and that is that it eats mouse feet really fast.
but the control as well as "performance" of it, while still having fast glide, is absolutely fantastic.
it's not quite as nice as a good glass pad for my tastes, but I feel people who like control a little more might prefer it.

Offline MGH

• Lost in translation with a whole ****in' nation
« Reply #786 on: Sun, 01 February 2015, 21:50:54 »

a bit late for this but I have a Slamepad from ModMyMachine (german casemodders). it's one of my favourite pads to use, a little too small for me but really love the feel.
there's one thing that's not so great about it and that is that it eats mouse feet really fast.
but the control as well as "performance" of it, while still having fast glide, is absolutely fantastic.
it's not quite as nice as a good glass pad for my tastes, but I feel people who like control a little more might prefer it.
What glass pad do you use?

Offline Bucake

« Reply #787 on: Mon, 02 February 2015, 01:52:28 »

hehe :D
i have such high hopes for my upcoming aluminium pad now :D

my ice mat is my favorite of alltime, but it's just too small for me (about 248x209 / 9.8"x8.2")
this week i'll be checking out a local glass shop to see if they can make a big one for me.
i have no idea what to ask them though, so i'll just bring mine to show them :D

Offline whitefang

« Reply #788 on: Mon, 02 February 2015, 03:08:11 »
I mean I guess that's fine, if you like mediocre performance.

Excellent tracking rating under Enotus is mediocre?

Offline 7Teku

« Reply #789 on: Mon, 02 February 2015, 12:36:16 »
That rating means nothing. The only good thing enotus for is for testing true CPI and PCS.

I've used 3090, 3310, 3988 mice on cloth, plastic, glass, etc, pads, and they all perform and feel better on cloth. Anything other than cloth makes the cursor feel like it's moving through mud.

Offline munch

• !
« Reply #790 on: Mon, 02 February 2015, 12:40:53 »

hehe :D
i have such high hopes for my upcoming aluminium pad now :D

my ice mat is my favorite of alltime, but it's just too small for me (about 248x209 / 9.8"x8.2")
this week i'll be checking out a local glass shop to see if they can make a big one for me.
i have no idea what to ask them though, so i'll just bring mine to show them :D

yeah Icemat is my favourite as well, but it's way too thick. (that's what she said)
what you should ask for is a "satin finish" frosted treatment (very finely textured, so no coating, real chemical frosting). and sanded down edges so it's not sharp.
then you just have to stick a matte black sheet of some sort under it to help with tracking.
I recommend getting as thin as possible for comfort reasons, but the Icemat was only really too thick because of those tall feet though.

and for MGH: (I can't get multi quote to work?)
I have been using the Icemat v2, but I am ordering a custom glass one as per above specifications :p
it should cost about $50-60 for 40x30x0.2-0.4cm which is my ideal size.

Offline Bucake

« Reply #791 on: Mon, 02 February 2015, 13:28:23 »
what you should ask for is a "satin finish" frosted treatment (very finely textured, so no coating, real chemical frosting). and sanded down edges so it's not sharp.
then you just have to stick a matte black sheet of some sort under it to help with tracking.
I recommend getting as thin as possible for comfort reasons.

cheers :)
any idea how you will handle the bottom?

because i was wondering how i'd stick something coloured onto the bottom..
my old I-1 i have here has a black bottom, but it's obviously printed on there (or something), or maybe painted or something.
but i don't really know how i'd get something on there as well as this was done :E
i'm sure that this 'glass shop' doesn't have any means of doing something like that.

Offline whitefang

« Reply #792 on: Mon, 02 February 2015, 16:23:49 »
That rating means nothing. The only good thing enotus for is for testing true CPI and PCS.

I've used 3090, 3310, 3988 mice on cloth, plastic, glass, etc, pads, and they all perform and feel better on cloth. Anything other than cloth makes the cursor feel like it's moving through mud.

Have you used a silicone pad? The movement on the Hiro is really low friction.

Offline 7Teku

« Reply #793 on: Mon, 02 February 2015, 17:29:27 »

Have you used a silicone pad? The movement on the Hiro is really low friction.
Low friction =/= good tracking

Offline munch

• !
« Reply #794 on: Mon, 02 February 2015, 18:33:29 »

my old I-1 i have here has a black bottom, but it's obviously printed on there (or something), or maybe painted or something.
but i don't really know how i'd get something on there as well as this was done :E
i'm sure that this 'glass shop' doesn't have any means of doing something like that.

vinyl sticker sheet I was thinking... hopefully it isn't too glossy or anything.
I am sure the glass shop would know how to paint it if you would like to go that way. I'll do a little research on what the best material might be.

and 7Teku I'm not sure if you're a troll or what the deal is but... this is simply not true. cloth is not the best for tracking.
please show some actual data instead of these short posts, if you would like to prove a point (which Logitech's research team has disproven, the best surface is a finely textured black hard certain type of plastic apparently).

that some of the mousepads you have used did not work well with your mice is possible. and that multi-coloured ones of whichever plastic ones you used are bad is a known thing.
mice like single-coloured surfaces better.

that Enotus is not a good way to test tracking (nor is Mionix SQAT) is true though.
I believe you need a lot more extensive testing to really determine this, though.

and the Hiro might indeed not track very well due to a lot of colours on it.

Offline whitefang

« Reply #795 on: Tue, 03 February 2015, 03:08:07 »

vinyl sticker sheet I was thinking... hopefully it isn't too glossy or anything.
I am sure the glass shop would know how to paint it if you would like to go that way. I'll do a little research on what the best material might be.

and 7Teku I'm not sure if you're a troll or what the deal is but... this is simply not true. cloth is not the best for tracking.
please show some actual data instead of these short posts, if you would like to prove a point (which Logitech's research team has disproven, the best surface is a finely textured black hard certain type of plastic apparently).

that some of the mousepads you have used did not work well with your mice is possible. and that multi-coloured ones of whichever plastic ones you used are bad is a known thing.

that Enotus is not a good way to test tracking (nor is Mionix SQAT) is true though.
I believe you need a lot more extensive testing to really determine this, though.

The Hiro is all black except for the logo in the bottom right.

http://www.roccat.org/img_18975_5_796_400.jpg

I love the surface but my only complaint is that its a little too small for CS so I'm using a PureTrak talent right now instead. If my lack of interest in playing CS continues I'll probably switch back to the Hiro.

Offline munch

• !
« Reply #796 on: Tue, 03 February 2015, 13:39:13 »

The Hiro is all black except for the logo in the bottom right.

http://www.roccat.org/img_18975_5_796_400.jpg

I love the surface but my only complaint is that its a little too small for CS so I'm using a PureTrak talent right now instead. If my lack of interest in playing CS continues I'll probably switch back to the Hiro.

oh! my bad then. I must have confused it with their other offerings.
interesting. it is indeed a little small, but I do want to try it now. :p

Offline Bucake

« Reply #797 on: Tue, 03 February 2015, 18:26:42 »
so i've recieved my first aluminium pad today (alugraphics gamerpro xxl), and i'm really (really) liking it.
it has great control, yet a very unrestricted/smooth slide. (i currently use tiger gaming teflon mouse feet.)
right now, i feel like i'm getting even better control than i get on a frosted glass pad. (can't say for sure of course, after just a few hours.)
the pad was pretty expensive, but if it lasts for at least a year, it'll have been worth it, easily.

and i'd bet that not many people realise this, but thickness can matter such a great deal!
this pad is only .8mm thick, and only now do i realise how obstructing that 3mm/4mm bump actually is (to me),
so that's definitely a nice bonus.

"would like to go that way" - well, i just want something that lasts, and works well(!) :)
if it could be professionally painted (or whatever), it'd probably work better than when i'd try to do something myself.
so i'd appreciate your thoughts/conclusions on this, because i still want to order that glass pad :)

i was thinking the same thing :D
but i'll probably refrain from getting it, simply because i know it'll be rather small (for me).

Offline munch

• !
« Reply #798 on: Tue, 03 February 2015, 19:52:19 »
so i've recieved my first aluminium pad today (alugraphics gamerpro xxl), and i'm really (really) liking it.
it has great control, yet a very unrestricted/smooth slide. (i currently use tiger gaming teflon mouse feet.)
right now, i feel like i'm getting even better control than i get on a frosted glass pad. (can't say for sure of course, after just a few hours.)
the pad was pretty expensive, but if it lasts for at least a year, it'll have been worth it, easily.

and i'd bet that not many people realise this, but thickness can matter such a great deal!
this pad is only .8mm thick, and only now do i realise how obstructing that 3mm/4mm bump actually is (to me),
so that's definitely a nice bonus.

"would like to go that way" - well, i just want something that lasts, and works well(!) :)
if it could be professionally painted (or whatever), it'd probably work better than when i'd try to do something myself.
so i'd appreciate your thoughts/conclusions on this, because i still want to order that glass pad :)

i was thinking the same thing :D
but i'll probably refrain from getting it, simply because i know it'll be rather small (for me).

great control is indeed how I would describe it. noticeably better than a glass pad. I still prefer glass but... mostly for glide feel.
I do hope it will last a few years. I'm not 100% sure how the alugraphics pads are made, but if it's hard anodized, it should last a veryyyyy long time.
just hope you have a set of feet to replace with every 2-3 months or so :p

I'll let you know what I find out! although, not going to have mine in another month or so.
but you have your alugraphics for now ;)

Offline 7Teku

« Reply #799 on: Fri, 06 February 2015, 12:45:34 »
In my experience, every mouse that I've tried on a hard pad (hard cloth is fine), icemat, destructor, g440, etc, all feels like it has swamp cursor. For me, the PCS has been higher in every test I've done on cloth pads.