Author Topic: Where is the Unicomp subforum?  (Read 4446 times)

Offline Ozric

Where is the Unicomp subforum?
« on: Tue, 29 April 2014, 02:06:59 »
I noticed yesterday that the Unicomp vendor forum had disappeared and that all direct links to threads and posts in that forum no longer work. What is the reason for it being removed from the forum?

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
Re: Where is the Unicomp subforum?
« Reply #1 on: Tue, 29 April 2014, 11:22:28 »
Same thing with Kinesis.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #2 on: Tue, 29 April 2014, 11:32:45 »
as part of our quarterly vendor review, we determined that they simply weren't being used by their respective vendors, or the community, and archived them

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline jdcarpe

• * Curator
  • Live long, and prosper.
« Reply #3 on: Tue, 29 April 2014, 11:33:03 »
Inactivity. Vendors who no longer post here will have their subforums archived.

Edit: yeah, what that guy said. ^^
KMAC :: LZ-GH :: WASD CODE :: WASD v2 :: GH60 :: Alps64 :: JD45 :: IBM Model M :: IBM 4704 "Pingmaster"

http://jd40.info :: http://jd45.info

in memoriam

"When I was a kid, I used to take things apart and never put them back together."

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #4 on: Tue, 29 April 2014, 11:40:50 »
Well, there was some useful information in the thread about the new Kinesis Advantage and it's already linked from elsewhere... that's how I've learned about this.

Offline mkawa

•  No Marketplace Access
  • (ツ)@@@. crankypants
« Reply #5 on: Tue, 29 April 2014, 12:59:02 »
i've moved the suggestions thread (one of a grand total of four threads :|) into the ergo subforum.

to all the brilliant friends who have left us, and all the students who climb on their shoulders.

Offline davkol

•  Post Editing Timeout
« Reply #6 on: Tue, 29 April 2014, 12:59:47 »
thx

Offline natas206

• * Commercial Vendor
« Reply #7 on: Thu, 08 May 2014, 12:20:39 »
I was not aware there was a required amount time between posts by the vendor, perhaps a warning would have been nice. The Suggestions for new Advantage keyboard was very useful and I checked the forum just about daily. Unfortunately, I couldn't answer some of the questions (when is the release date, etc.) since I do not have that information to report yet, as I mentioned in the thread and I will post more information when it becomes available to me.

If the Kinesis forum is restored, I'll sure to post more frequently in the future.

Offline BlueByLiquid

« Reply #8 on: Sat, 17 May 2014, 23:07:05 »
I was totally thrown buy this and I kept checking the Kinesis forum for updates on the new one as I was hoping to hear about the new Kinesis contoured. I am not even sure who I found this link talking about the missing forum. I would guess many other people have just given up.

Offline sordna

« Reply #9 on: Sat, 17 May 2014, 23:27:08 »
I was following 2 vendors, Kinesis and WASD keyboards, and was disappointed to see them both disappear. I think the vendors themselves were surprised .
@mkawa why weren't they (and their subscribers) given any notice about this?
Kinesis Contoured Advantage & Advantage2 LF with Cherry MX Red switches / Extra keys mod / O-ring dampening mod / Dvorak layout. ErgoDox with buzzer and LED mod.
Also: Kinesis Advantage Classic, Kinesis Advantage2, Data911 TG3, Fingerworks Touchstream LP, IBM SSK (Buckling spring), Goldtouch GTU-0077 keyboard

Offline ElectronicFur

« Reply #10 on: Mon, 26 May 2014, 11:43:28 »
Yeah I just waisted ten minutes trying to find the Kinesis forum as well, as I was trying to find out the latest news about the new keyboard...

Kinesis Advantage Pro (silver) | Kinesis Advantage (black) | Microsoft Natural Elite | Ergodox (on order)

Offline hoggy

• * Ergonomics Moderator
« Reply #11 on: Mon, 26 May 2014, 13:14:51 »
The thread with the suggestions for the new kinesis advantage was moved to the ergonomics sub forum if that helps.
GH Ergonomic Guide (in progress)
http://geekhack.org/index.php?topic=54680.0

Offline False_Dmitry_II

« Reply #12 on: Fri, 20 June 2014, 19:24:44 »
Does the thread about their new SSK not count? That was pretty recent to when it was pulled.
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Ben Franklin (11 Nov. 1755)

Offline TotalChaos

• Indy Game Coder
« Reply #13 on: Sun, 06 July 2014, 12:25:12 »
I took a 1 year vacation from GeekHack.  I have now returned.

I wanted to see what new stuff was going on at WASD and Kinesis.  They were supposed to be maybe releasing a new keyboard by now?

Anyway, their vendor forums have vanished, which from my point of view, sux.

Rosewill RK-9000RE #1 (Broke on day 26, fixed with Scotch Tape on day 42, barely holding together)
Rosewill RK-9000RE #2 (Lubed, still in the box.  I am afraid to use it because it will break like the first one)

Offline johnnyo

« Reply #14 on: Sun, 06 July 2014, 12:48:16 »
this is like, when I ask my brother why he bought that telly from the local shop without checking the prizes on the web first: "local service is more reliable", "I want to support the local shop", "I have checked the web", "time is money" ...

just admit it: it was a f**in' bad idea. don't ever do it again, and fix it if you can.

Offline rowdy

• HHKB Hapster
  • * Erudite Elder
  • Missed another sale.
« Reply #15 on: Sun, 06 July 2014, 15:16:41 »
I took a 1 year vacation from GeekHack.  I have now returned.

I wanted to see what new stuff was going on at WASD and Kinesis.  They were supposed to be maybe releasing a new keyboard by now?

Anyway, their vendor forums have vanished, which from my point of view, sux.

Chances are you would not have seen any new posts there anyway.
"Because keyboards are accessories to PC makers, they focus on minimizing the manufacturing costs. But that’s incorrect. It’s in HHKB’s slogan, but when America’s cowboys were in the middle of a trip and their horse died, they would leave the horse there. But even if they were in the middle of a desert, they would take their saddle with them. The horse was a consumable good, but the saddle was an interface that their bodies had gotten used to. In the same vein, PCs are consumable goods, while keyboards are important interfaces." - Eiiti Wada

NEC APC-H4100E | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED red | Ducky DK9008 Shine MX blue LED green | Link 900243-08 | CM QFR MX black | KeyCool 87 white MX reds | HHKB 2 Pro | Model M 02-Mar-1993 | Model M 29-Nov-1995 | CM Trigger (broken) | CM QFS MX green | Ducky DK9087 Shine 3 TKL Yellow Edition MX black | Lexmark SSK 21-Apr-1994 | IBM SSK 13-Oct-1987 | CODE TKL MX clear | Model M 122 01-Jun-1988

Ị̸͚̯̲́ͤ̃͑̇̑ͯ̊̂͟ͅs̞͚̩͉̝̪̲͗͊ͪ̽̚̚ ̭̦͖͕̑́͌ͬͩ͟t̷̻͔̙̑͟h̹̠̼͋ͤ͋i̤̜̣̦̱̫͈͔̞ͭ͑ͥ̌̔s̬͔͎̍̈ͥͫ̐̾ͣ̔̇͘ͅ ̩̘̼͆̐̕e̞̰͓̲̺̎͐̏ͬ̓̅̾͠͝ͅv̶̰͕̱̞̥̍ͣ̄̕e͕͙͖̬̜͓͎̤̊ͭ͐͝ṇ̰͎̱̤̟̭ͫ͌̌͢͠ͅ ̳̥̦ͮ̐ͤ̎̊ͣ͡͡n̤̜̙̺̪̒͜e̶̻̦̿ͮ̂̀c̝̘̝͖̠̖͐ͨͪ̈̐͌ͩ̀e̷̥͇̋ͦs̢̡̤ͤͤͯ͜s͈̠̉̑͘a̱͕̗͖̳̥̺ͬͦͧ͆̌̑͡r̶̟̖̈͘ỷ̮̦̩͙͔ͫ̾ͬ̔ͬͮ̌?̵̘͇͔͙ͥͪ͞ͅ

Offline figit090

• RGB LED Kinesis Contoured
« Reply #16 on: Sun, 06 July 2014, 19:25:22 »
I would like to voice my distaste for disappearing threads.  I spent a few minutes looking for old threads I haven't had the chance to access in a long while, namely the "post your Kinesis keyboards" thread, and I'm very disappointed to hear the mods are deleting and/or hiding threads.  I'm more disappointed that all the posts have been removed from searchable archives and I think hiding the information is a disservice so not only forum users and the Kinesis Corporation, but to Geekhack as well.  I don't see how potentially reducing the search hits by eliminating threads about relevant topics can help anyone.

I do see complaints and I feel silly to have spent even the little time I did responding to now invisible threads.  If my contributions are to expire and be deleted I will probably come here even less than I currently do, and that isn't terribly often, so in other words I'm gone. 

This is said assuming that all these "hidden" threads do not pose a significant financial burden to the hosts of this website.  If they do, I hope there's a way around it.

Offline kaltar

« Reply #17 on: Sun, 13 July 2014, 02:21:55 »
I do not come daily, but when I do, I check the Kinesis forum for news from natas... sad to see the forum gone.