Author Topic: EK Leupold Status?  (Read 68082 times)

Offline muchadoaboutnothing

EK Leupold Status?
« Reply #300 on: Wed, 06 April 2011, 21:31:14 »
Quote from: rustybarnacle;325934
I've never had to quote myself before!  Fwiw, the printed board also has domed keys IIRC.

Yeah, but it looks less weird.

D'oh, I shot off an email to EK too saying he should reshoot the photos (I assumed it was a change he pushed for, but photographed one of the first boards; if my memory serves me correctly, the otaku filcos initially shippeed with blank windows domes. Mine has all blank keys, no domes).

Oh well. Sent off a reply saying disregard.

Offline rustybarnacle

EK Leupold Status?
« Reply #301 on: Wed, 06 April 2011, 21:42:34 »
Yep, I swapped out the cruddy domed keys for a couple of never touched modifier keys from my Das Ultimate.  They're pretty convincing.

Offline marvkip

EK Leupold Status?
« Reply #302 on: Thu, 07 April 2011, 01:12:57 »
Can anybody that ordered a Leopold blue in Canada tell me how long it took to get to you, and whether or not your tracking number got updated?

Offline BlacK.OuT

EK Leupold Status?
« Reply #303 on: Thu, 07 April 2011, 01:23:15 »
Quote from: marvkip;326016
Can anybody that ordered a Leopold blue in Canada tell me how long it took to get to you, and whether or not your tracking number got updated?

Can't help you on the Canadian front, but my keyboard shipped out yesterday and it hasn't been updated. Other people who got theirs have said the same thing, so I wouldn't count on an update.

Offline Warmachine

EK Leupold Status?
« Reply #304 on: Thu, 07 April 2011, 01:46:52 »
Quote from: marvkip;326016

Mine is still in the process of getting here (it got shipped on friday last week), I should be getting it soon though because it got through custom today. Yes, tracking does get updated but they don't seem to update it often or maybe they  simply update it when the package reaches certain specific points. In my case, they first updated when the package left LA then I had to wait until today to see it being updated again, telling me that it had reached custom.

Offline MrSneis

EK Leupold Status?
« Reply #305 on: Thu, 07 April 2011, 02:13:44 »
wow. I took a few photos but photobucket is NOT letting me upload.
Filco Tenkeyless Brown | Filco Tenkeyless-2 Blue | Leopold Tenkeyless Blue

Offline marvkip

EK Leupold Status?
« Reply #306 on: Thu, 07 April 2011, 02:39:38 »
Quote from: Warmachine;326021
Mine is still in the process of getting here (it got shipped on friday last week), I should be getting it soon though because it got through custom today. Yes, tracking does get updated but they don't seem to update it often or maybe they  simply update it when the package reaches certain specific points. In my case, they first updated when the package left LA then I had to wait until today to see it being updated again, telling me that it had reached custom.

:( I got my shipment notification at on Monday@12:30am and my the tracker still says this.
The U.S. Postal Service was electronically notified by the shipper on April 03, 2011 to expect your package for mailing. This does not indicate receipt by the USPS or the actual mailing date. Delivery status information will be provided if / when available. Information, if available, is updated periodically throughout the day. Please check again later.

Offline MrSneis

EK Leupold Status?
« Reply #307 on: Thu, 07 April 2011, 03:00:42 »

Offline RAICHU

EK Leupold Status?
« Reply #308 on: Thu, 07 April 2011, 03:36:53 »
Nice pictures MrSneis. Looks so sexy. I got me a red esc and lavender WASD keys too. ^_^
Rosewill RK-9000RE (Daily Driver) Filco Majestouch 1 Fullsize    [strike]Noppoo Choc Mini[/strike]     [strike]Leopold Tenkeyless[/strike]     [strike]Noppoo Choc Mini[/strike] [/B]

Offline Warmachine

EK Leupold Status?
« Reply #309 on: Thu, 07 April 2011, 04:22:49 »
Quote from: marvkip;326027
:( I got my shipment notification at on Monday@12:30am and my the tracker still says this.

Yeah it took a while for me too, I wouldn't worry too much. I'm sure it will get updated pretty soon.

EK Leupold Status?
« Reply #310 on: Thu, 07 April 2011, 07:19:35 »
Quote from: marvkip;326027

USPS only sells "Delivery Confirmation", not tracking. Any tracking you get is gravy.

Anyhow, signup for a PackageTrackr account, put in the tracking number (it'll save to your account), and enable email notifications. You'll get an email once it starts moving, when it's out for delivery, and when it gets delivered (or if there's an exception).

One catch: After the label hits your country, tracking may not work through USPS. For Canada it did the last time I shipped something; for Brazil, it did not (only on Brazil Post's tracker did it work).

That's what I do, anyways. I find it easier than neurotically checking the status.

EDIT: Also, once you have an account, you can forward any emails with tracking numbers to track@packagetrackr.com and it'll add them to your account. If you want a package nickname, change the subjeuct line to whatever you want it to be.

« Last Edit: Thu, 07 April 2011, 09:02:30 by muchadoaboutnothing »

Offline mikeruth

EK Leupold Status?
« Reply #311 on: Thu, 07 April 2011, 07:57:46 »
Quote from: bionicroach;325722
Easy solution to slipping feet.  (As Ripster and others have recommend in the past.)  Works great yet cheap enough that I didn't really feel that bad about cutting it to fit my keyboard tray:

Ripper XXL

I don't have this one yet but it is cheaper:

http://www.cyberguys.com/product-details/?productid=25378&sk=MC2422&cm_mmc=GAN-_-Link-_-Cyberguys-_-Link&utm_source=google-affiliate-network&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_campaign=partner&PFID=k244266#page=page-1
« Last Edit: Thu, 07 April 2011, 08:00:08 by mikeruth »
Mike R.

Offline fartbutt

EK Leupold Status?
« Reply #312 on: Thu, 07 April 2011, 08:03:03 »
Quote from: mikeruth;326084
I don't have this one yet but it is cheaper:

http://www.cyberguys.com/product-details/?productid=25378&sk=MC2422&cm_mmc=GAN-_-Link-_-Cyberguys-_-Link&utm_source=google-affiliate-network&utm_medium=affiliate&utm_campaign=partner&PFID=k244266#page=page-1

Thats because its not nearly the same size. The ripper xxl would be suitable for both keyboard and mouse due to its width

Offline keyboardlover

• Hey Paul Walker, Click It or Ticket!
    • http://www.keyboardlover.com
EK Leupold Status?
« Reply #313 on: Thu, 07 April 2011, 08:09:09 »
Quote from: ripster;325880
It's because Japanese Pigeon Toed Feet>Korean Kimchee Feet

You calling Taeyeon kimchee-footed??

Offline mikeruth

EK Leupold Status?
« Reply #314 on: Thu, 07 April 2011, 09:04:23 »
Quote from: fartbutt;326085
Thats because its not nearly the same size. The ripper xxl would be suitable for both keyboard and mouse due to its width

This was for those wanting a smaller one or cutting down a $25 mat.  Not you!
Mike R.

Offline nvarsj

EK Leupold Status?
« Reply #315 on: Thu, 07 April 2011, 12:18:44 »
Just got my blue cherry leopold. It sticks to the desk without the feet extended. With feet extended it moves easily with slight pressure to the top/bottom of the keyboard. It does not move easily side to side. Hopefully we'll see a future iteration with rubber on the feet - I think it would be an improvement. Overall, not a big deal for me since I'm not gaming on it.

Otherwise, keys feel great. If you pay enough attention you can feel the stabilizers in the bigger keys, but it is barely noticeable in my opinion. Most noticeable is the sound, feeling not so much. No problem with squeaking or anything.

I much prefer the smaller form factor to the Filco. It makes a big difference on my desk not having the extra material on the top. My desk is pretty crowded so every little bit helps.

Visually, fonts are nice and crisp. "Back space" is good for a laugh. The most annoying thing are the bright blue LEDs - but I can live with them.

I'm really looking forward to hacking on this board.
HHKB2

Offline NeverDie

EK Leupold Status?
« Reply #316 on: Fri, 08 April 2011, 09:48:58 »
Just finally got my Leopold with Cherry MX Brown switches!! Going to open it as soon as I finish eating :D.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline Reaif

EK Leupold Status?
« Reply #317 on: Fri, 08 April 2011, 10:13:13 »
I got my package wednesday evening. So far, I love the clickiness of the blues. We'll see how it goes with time. Now I have a good mechanical board for home and for work. Currently driving on my das at work because of the silence factor + tenkey. Not having a 10key is fine at home, but I have to have one at work. I just do too much data entry and data management to not have one.

In any case, I really love the small form factor for home. It just makes my day every time I see it. Oh and I love the little roof that comes with the Leopolds. I realize they aren't the greatest of quality, but it does provide a little comfort when drinking a beverage near the board.
Currently own:
Das S Ultimate with Browns
Cherry G84-4100 with ML Linear switches
Memorex Telex with NMB Space Invaders
Leopold with Blues

Offline NeverDie

EK Leupold Status?
« Reply #318 on: Fri, 08 April 2011, 10:49:23 »
Alright so I've been using this keyboard for a while and I'm completely loving it! I'm using it with the feet extended and it doesn't slip at all and I've been gaming pretty hard on it so far, so I don't see how everyone else was slipping. One thing I HAVE noticed is that both the SHIFT keys are like really messed up, as if it wasn't oiled enough or something, which correlates to what many others have been describing. I was hoping I wouldn't have the same problem, but unfortunately I do. But since coming from a rubber dome keyboard, it doesn't really bother me at all much and I can deal with it. Might buy some lithium oil later on to fix it, but for now I'd say I'm pretty content. Btw my SHIFT keys make some sort of like squeeky sound. I'd say the only problem is with the Leopold SHIFT keys, but besides that, I'd say it's perfect.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline Chobopants

EK Leupold Status?
« Reply #319 on: Fri, 08 April 2011, 10:52:31 »
Right on, man.

Yeah I ended up bringing my Browns into work because the shift keys are so bad it hurts my wrist after a day of coding at work. Lithium oil is in the mail so I'll update if that fixes it, should have it by Monday. I noticed it getting worse as days passed, to the point of Tab and Backspace also starting to exhibit the same properties. Had to put her back in the box for now.
Realforce 87UW 45g - Filco Blue 87 - Filco Linear R - Filco Brown 104

Offline Variable

EK Leupold Status?
« Reply #320 on: Fri, 08 April 2011, 12:48:39 »
it has arrived

am I safe to use any usb extension as long as I use the adapter when plugging it into my pc? the wire is -just- a little too short for me.

the bigger keys have a much softer sound to them than the main keys. and in fact the whole thing is a lot quieter than the blackwidow I had just before.feels very nice though. and looks waaay nicer.

Offline Warmachine

EK Leupold Status?
« Reply #321 on: Fri, 08 April 2011, 12:53:03 »
Just got my Leopold with mx browns. Being used to rubber domes for so many years, I can really feel the difference and it's amazing. Pretty happy with the purchase. About the issue discribed above, I've only noticed it on my left side shift so far. Really not a big deal for me though, really loving this keyboard.

Offline Reaif

EK Leupold Status?
« Reply #322 on: Fri, 08 April 2011, 13:52:21 »
I am very surprised at the number of peeps experiencing the squeaky stabilizers. I am also a little sad for you guys. Mine blues don't seem to have the problem, fortunately. One thing that I have noticed though, is that all the keys with stabilizers feel kind of... dampened? If I bottom out on the enter or backspace, I have noticed that they do not make nearly the same sound as non-stabilized keys. I am not annoyed at this at all, and it even makes very good sense to me. I generally smack the modifier keys a little harder than the normal ones, so it's nice that they don't make a ton more sound than the regular keys do. Just a little different is all.
Currently own:
Das S Ultimate with Browns
Cherry G84-4100 with ML Linear switches
Memorex Telex with NMB Space Invaders
Leopold with Blues

Offline NeverDie

EK Leupold Status?
« Reply #323 on: Fri, 08 April 2011, 14:31:57 »
Anyone know where to order lithium oil? What's a good price? This squeaky right SHIFT key is kinda annoying.
[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Offline noodles256

• le legendary
EK Leupold Status?
« Reply #324 on: Fri, 08 April 2011, 14:40:42 »
Quote from: Warmachine;326839
Just got my Leopold with mx browns. Being used to rubber domes for so many years, I can really feel the difference and it's amazing. Pretty happy with the purchase. About the issue discribed above, I've only noticed it on my left side shift so far. Really not a big deal for me though, really loving this keyboard.

bwahaha, you are defeated
AF | Ducky YOTD |

Offline Chobopants

EK Leupold Status?
« Reply #325 on: Fri, 08 April 2011, 14:42:01 »
This is what I ordered:
http://www.amazon.com/Permatex-80345-White-Lithium-Lube/dp/B000HBNV58/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1302291615&sr=8-2

Should have it on Monday and will post my findings. If this doesn't fix it I'll probably never take it out of the box again.
Realforce 87UW 45g - Filco Blue 87 - Filco Linear R - Filco Brown 104

Offline Yes

EK Leupold Status?
« Reply #326 on: Fri, 08 April 2011, 14:43:07 »
Just got my Leopold tenkeyless OTAKU browns.

While the keycaps are nice, that is as far as the pros go.

Now to the cons:

Crappy, crappy stabilizers. They sound very cheap and tacky compared to the other keys. The spacebar has this "loose" metallic movement sound every time you press the spacebar and that equates to some annoying typing. Keys like the backspace and enter all sound weird and cheap. Doesn't have the nice feel like the other keys have. You quickly ignore the good sounds in place of the bad sounds because the noisy, loose spacebar overwhelms every other sound.

The risers on the back doesn't have rubber, so that is also annoying.

Overall, you can tell this was a poorly thought out, and poorly designed keyboard. My Filco feels much better, and more solid overall.

I know it has been already stated by other users, but just wanted to share my opinion.

Offline wanabe

EK Leupold Status?
« Reply #327 on: Fri, 08 April 2011, 14:45:33 »
...welcome to geekhack!

Offline Yes

EK Leupold Status?
« Reply #328 on: Fri, 08 April 2011, 14:52:39 »
Thanks, I should also mention. The tactile feeling of the browns are almost nonexistent.

Offline MrSneis

EK Leupold Status?
« Reply #329 on: Fri, 08 April 2011, 14:52:56 »
While I'm not going to argue with you on this one, my keys have been very quiet so I must have lucked out.  The feet on the other hand I'm a little upset over when the feet are extended, but it's pretty planted laying flat.  I would say the enter and shift keys are a little mushy but not to the point where they are "straining" my typing.

The fact that some owners are already having to lube up their keys is a little disturbing though.

I wish I could have a Filco with textured\more durable keycaps!

Offline spolia optima

EK Leupold Status?
« Reply #330 on: Fri, 08 April 2011, 15:10:04 »
Quote from: Yes;326910
Crappy, crappy stabilizers...

The stabilizers are built to last. It's easy as hell to bend and irreperably damage a cheap stabilizer. This was one of the Filco's biggest faults. If the better stabilizer is a little noisy or w/e, add a dab of white lithium. problem solved.
keyboards!

EK Leupold Status?
« Reply #331 on: Fri, 08 April 2011, 15:17:26 »
Multiple FedEx trucks come by, yet no Leopold is delivered before closing time here...

Still labeled as "out for delivery" on FedEx. Mailroom says they have nothing.

Offline DarthBaiter

EK Leupold Status?
« Reply #332 on: Fri, 08 April 2011, 15:26:30 »
I just got my son's Brown Leo's and I for one am glad I'm keeping the Ducky.   :p
"GERONIMO E.K.I.A."

"Fluke...I\'m yo faddah....come join me on the Dockside...."

Offline MrSneis

EK Leupold Status?
« Reply #333 on: Fri, 08 April 2011, 15:36:24 »
:O

Offline pitashen

EK Leupold Status?
« Reply #334 on: Fri, 08 April 2011, 15:49:41 »
Quote from: DarthBaiter;326930
I just got my son's Brown Leo's and I for one am glad I'm keeping the Ducky.   :p

Care to give some quick comparison? Thanks.
\\\\ DSI Mac Modular Keyboard (Brown) w/ Leo  Blank Keycaps //
\\\\ Leopold 87keys Keyboard (Brown) w/ Black CherryCorp + SP DoubleShots //
\\\\ Filco Majestouch 2 NINJA (Black) w/ White CherryCorp + SP DoublsShots //

Offline BlacK.OuT

EK Leupold Status?
« Reply #335 on: Fri, 08 April 2011, 18:10:56 »
Hey guys, just got my Leopold (printed browns), will post pictures later. However, I just wanted to add my thoughts. The larger keys, including the shift keys, do indeed feel a little bit mushier, but based upon my readings of this thread/forum I think that either they're greatly exagerated or I got lucky...the difference is there and noticeable, but only really bothers me if I think about it. They don't require that much more force to actuate either, about the same as rubber domes, maybe a little bit more. I can hear the little metal pings on the larger keys but, unless I'm mistaken, this isn't the same "squeakiness" that others have been describing, but rather is just the sound I get from bottoming out the keys. I do not experience this problem on either of the shift keys or the backspace key. The spacebar has a hard to describe noise if I press it directly in the middle, I'd say some kind of plasticky/clicky noise, but that goes away as I press closer to the ends (like I usually do).

As for the general feel of the keyboard, coming from rubber domes this feels great, a lot lighter than the keyboards that I'm used to, and of course the sound is great as well. The detachable USB cord seems great, the connections seem really solid/not cheap at all, and require enough force to pull them out that I don't have a fear of accidentally disconnecting them. I haven't had a problem with the foldout feet, I'm on a fake wood plastic table and although I can push the keyboard if I want to it hasn't slid in regular use (gaming/typing). The LEDs on the lock keys are really nice looking, if a bit bright for my taste, but I really like the look that it gives the keyboard.

All in all I love this keyboard, the packaging and everything was great (I took pictures of that too, will post after dinner), the keyboard feels really stable. I'll admit I was a bit apprehensive after people on this forum started complaining about the keys but I'm glad I dodged that bullet/don't have enough mech keyboard experience for it to really bother me lol.
Pictures, sorry for the quality, all I had was my iphone:
The box:

Keyboard, still in its packaging (the USB cable is inside the cardboard thing on top, if anyone cares):

Top down (sorry about the flash, took this one separate from the others, so the lighting's not natural):

Side profile, feet not extended:

Side profile, feet extended:

Close up of some of the keys:

Let me know if you guys want any other pics, I was unsure of what to take pictures of.
« Last Edit: Fri, 08 April 2011, 19:07:50 by BlacK.OuT »